Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Tried to get onto FaceBook & had problems. Supposed to leave for FL on Thursday. Spent yesterday & last night dealing with a really bad toothache. Called the dentist & he can fit me in this afternoon. Only 1 problem - need to take blood thinner - Plavix - since my stents were inserted. Hopefully, I will not bleed a lot.

Lynn
Old 02-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Lynn. Good to see you. Make sure you tell the dentist about the Plavix...maybe he can work around it as long as you don't need an extraction. Hope you feel better for your trip.

I had to have emergency surgery while taking Plavix. It couldn't be helped! They said I lost a liter of blood, but I made it.

Thinking good thoughts for you.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #63  

Height: 5'3"

Will be leaving for my doctor's appt soon. So far no pounding in my ear, and no dizziness at first but it has gradually come back. When I bend over I get more dizzy I notice. Sometimes I will feel the pounding in my ear but only faint and other times it is really loud. When it is loud is when my BP is high. Went to the gym this morning and I walked 1/2 mile and then rode the stationery bike for 20 min on ten. Dh walked 20 min (mile) and then did weight machines. He did the waist one (where you come up and bend at waist..not sure what it's called) 60 times and had no pain. I can't even get myself to do 30 of those. He did at least one other machine too. He is working outside now cutting back the vines that grow over everything if we let it. He is trying to kill them off this year and wants to plant shrubs there instead. This is in our back yard. He is thinking of me in case he goes first, I won't have quite so much work to do.

Guess what, I was able to go to another Bed Bath & Beyond store (didn't do it on purpose, it was just closest to the gym) and they offered to put the return credit on my Visa!! Then I come home to an email from the company (I'd complained) and they said they would put it back on my paypal account. So quickly emailed them back to let them know I already got it taken care of. This even though it is in their rules that they only give credit to paypal buyers! I'm glad as I really prefer to have the money back instead of credit. I use my Visa all the time so having credit there is just like cash.

Lynn - Prayed for you. Praying too that they can fix it so you have a good trip with no more pain.

Almost time to leave...

Last edited by maryea; 02-23-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #64  

Good for you Mary, on getting that credit on your Visa card. If you are like me, that will be used up quickly! LOL

I hope the doctor is able to find the problem with your dizziness. It really sounds like it's just blood pressure, but you never know. Maybe your meds just need changed. I will be praying that its easy to fix.

It sounds like Joe is getting back to his old self, working out at the gym and also doing yard work. That's good to hear!

DH got the water pipe fixed. Before we went to Home Depot he found out that there were leaks in 2 places so he needed a longer pipe than he originally thought...the short piece about 7 inches long, then around a bend an up another 12 inches. He had it done in about an hour. I'm glad he's handy at things around the house. A plumber would have charged a fortune.

Take care, everyone!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #65  

Doctor said he's been seeing what I'm describing and feels it is a virus. I asked about my BP and he said since it was ok today, to just monitor it and if it continues to be high after the dizziness is gone, to check with him again. The systolic was a little high this morning and when I got to the office it was fine. I'm still dizzy but I think it may be less so he may be right.

Glad your dh was able to get the pipe fixed. Houses keep you busy. Dh loves to work in the yard when the sun is shining and it is so nice here. He is also very handy and has saved us a lot of money too. So thankful. I wish you all could share in our nice weather. But it is unusual for our weather to be this nice at this time of year...we don't often get snow but it is usually fairly cold and raining all the time..dark, gloomy, but sure different this year.

I'm making chicken enchiladas tonight. It is a recipe that Donna (Jess) shared. Mine don't look like her's though and I'm not sure why. I hope they are good. I'm also serving brussell sprouts, not sure that goes with it..LOL, I'd prefer a salad but that's what I've got.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #66  

Mary, I heard that this year the western part of the country is experiencing milder weather and the eastern portion, harsher weather. Some others out west are having warmer weather, too. Our weather used to be like this every winter, and we used to get a lot more snow. In the past 10 years or so our snowfalls have been much less, rarely more than a couple inches. And we have been having some winter weather with people wearing shorts. This year with the bitter cold is unusual for us. I no longer like sunny because my eyes have become so sensitive to the sun. I have sunglasses everywhere and wear them any time I go outside, even in the winter. In fact, the sun seems brighter in the winter. I don't like rain, but give me cloudy any day! LOL My step daughter gets so mad at me when I say that.

I have never had an enchilada. I would try it, but DH will not eat any mexican. The closest he gets is tacos or chili. He doesn't like the spices.

I hope the doctor is right about your dizziness. If so, it will go away in time. I wonder if that's what was causing mine. I haven't had any dizziness for about 2 weeks now, but never thought of a virus. I was only getting the dizziness when I would lie down or get up from lying down.

Yesterday, I got down on my knees in front of this cabinet we have that holds our DVD movies. I was looking through them because I knew there were some that I hadn't watched. When I get on my knees, I need to pull myself up with a chair or something. This time, I fell over to the left and was half kneeling and half lying on my side. I couldn't get up no matter how I tried. I had to call DH to come help me. It was very frustrating. I kept thinking of that commercial "I've fallen and I can't get up!" I think I better start getting more exercise. My muscles are getting too weak. I don't want that to be me.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #67  

Yes, that seems to be what has happened. It is absolutely beautiful here today, sunny, shirt-sleeved temp, the type of weather that makes me want to do something something. Normally I tell people if they don't like rain don't come to the NW but it's been so different the last couple years, I don't know what to think. Maybe this is part of that global warming effect, all I know if so far for us it's been a very nice change. Of course if we don't get enough rain that would not be good either. Too little snow is hard on the ski industry...too much snow in the mountains (not this year for sure!) causes floods in lower areas in spring... My eyes are probably not as bad as yours but my eyes are sensitive to brightness too...I just want to keep them closed all the time. That's ok when dh is driving, not so good when it's me.
I don't really mind the clouds or rain usually, I love the NW and just accept it. I've always liked temps 65-75 best. But have to admit I do love a sunny day as long as it's not too hot. When I was younger I didn't tolerate heat too well, but think I tolerate it better than really really cold weather now, even despite my hot flashes, but I think it's the fact that we got ac about 2000 that's helping me with it. Don't use it often but boy it helps when we need it.

I did the weekly and a little monthly cleaning in our bedroom and weekly cleaning in little bathroom except I forgot the floor so will do that later on. I was in a hurry because I wanted to go out..went grocery shopping ...no meat, just veggies and dairy items. Even though the weather is warmer, I plan on making a ground beef and pasta soup tonight. Will serve it with salad and I have some of those Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches for dessert. I may be the only one eating one though. I hope I can control it but
I am still not yet back in "diet mode." Dh has been buying ice cream due to his needing soft foods and now I crave it again.

Dh doesn't like his food very spicy either...at least not with Mexican type hotness. Asian hotness doesn't seem to bother him as much, but like if the recipe calls for 1/2 t. of chili powder I have to cut that back to less than 1/8 t. at least.

Oh Carol Sue, so glad your dh was there to help you! I've had trouble getting out of the bathtub a couple times. Having dh here was no help though because he couldn't hear me call. His hearing has gotten so bad and sometimes, like if the TV or other noise is around him his hearing aids don't help so he doesn't always wear them.

I think the doc was right about my dizziness/BP today I have barely noticed it. I think it is lessening. I haven't taken my BP today because I haven't heard the pounding in my ears at all. I'll probably check it later though just in case.

I have taken care of one load of laundry and have two more to go so better go check on it. Hope you are all having a good Sat and that weather is getting better. I believe Love2garden is in the NW...north of me as I remember

Last edited by maryea; 02-24-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #68  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Glad the dizziness is less and that BP seems to be taming down.

Carol Sue WOW! I sympathize with your being down and unable to get up with those bad knees!!! Strengthening will certainly help.
When I fell 2 weeks ago outside and I was alone, I felt frightened, but the PT and strength training enabled me to get to hands and knees and up. Sure was sore, tho.

How about you. Were you sore?

Glynda, any more news on the parathyroid issue?

Supper is ready, talk another time.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #69  

Oh love2 I see I was wrong...you are in eastern US. I thought you were out my way.

That would be scary ...falling down outside with no one around. Glad you made it...I remember how much stronger I was when I was in my 60s and taking the circuit training class. I need to get back to it, but hate getting up early. At least we are back to the gym again 3x weeks. I used to go every day but I really like having a day off to get other things done. Hopefully if we keep it up, we will gain our strength back.

Glad to hear from you love2garden!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #70  

I'm glad you were able to get up, Love2garden. That is why I want to do some exercises to get strength back in my muscles. I wasn't sore because I didn't actually fall. I was already on my knees and my body just leaned over to the left and I was half on my knees and half on my side. I couldn't even raise my body back up to be back on my knees, and that was really scary to me.

Mary, 3 X a week is OK. It gives you a day in between for other things. I feel bad that I haven't been keeping it up like I should because all I have to do is go downstairs. No driving to the gym.

We went out to eat for dinner and decided to get haircuts while we were out. My regular girl wasn't there but I got it cut anyway. It is soooo short! Much shorter than I wanted it. I guess I got my money's worth. LOL Luckily my hair grows fast and it will be where I want it in a couple weeks. In the meantime, I'm going to be a little cold! LOL
Old 02-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #71  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

I haven't done so well with the eating the last couple days. (I had been doing better ~ sigh.....)

And I am still struggleing with the exercise. I was reading this article http://news.yahoo.com/not-even-froze...202754202.html on the computer news and really felt ashamed of myself ~ can't even get out when it is in the 30's and do a couple spins around the circle where I live.

We have Maddie here today ~ she wasn't feeling well, so mama called me and asked me to bring her home from school.

My mom is having an outpatient procedure today ~ a D&C and removal of a small vaginal lump. Praying that it is benign.

Carol Sue ~ I'm glad you weren't hurt when you fell. That is scary though. I am more and more afraid of falling and breaking something. Glad your hair grows fast ~ where the haircut wasn't exactly to your liking.

Love2garden ~ sorry also for your fall. Glad you were able to get up ~ sorry that you hurt afterwards. That would be scary to be alone and have no one to help if you needed.

Mary ~ glad your dizziness/BP has been better. You mentioned in an earlier post ~ the dr thinking it might be some kind of virus. It made me remember ~ a couple years back that my sister was having trouble with dizziness and I think that is what she said hers was ~ some kind of viral thing.

Oh, regarding the parathyroid thing ~ I go next Friday for a 4D CT scan so the dr can find out which parathyroid is causing the problem. When she gets the results from that ~ the surgery will get scheduled.

The sun is out right now ~ but kind of comes and goes. It is 40* out.

Stay warm ladies ~ hope you all are having a good day.

Last edited by glynne; 02-25-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #72  

Mary, don't mention global warming around this part of the country! A lot of people would disagree strongly. LOL Winter got off to a slow start around here, but we had anything but warming once it got here! I'm glad for you that you're having nice weather, though.

Gayle,
I hope everything goes well with your parathyroid. It's always something, isn't it? I also hope all is well with your mother.

I just watched on the news today that they had someone test those Copper Wear sleeves that they are selling now, for elbows and knees. This guy tried them on his knees and said it really helped. Also, I was reading reviews online and some people said they helped, and said that even without the copper the compression is recommended for tendonitis. So I think I will go to WalMart and get one for my elbow. They are only $10 or so. I want to wear it during the night. That is when my pain is the worst. I cannot take anything with Ibprofen for pain. Tylenol doesn't help much, but I found a bottle of Arthritis Formula Tylenol that I bought and forgot about so I am going to try taking that at bedtime, too. It's a little stronger than regular Tylenol.

Love2garden, hope your soreness is going away.

Deelou, I was hoping you would get things straightened out with your picture.

Spring is just around the corner. Before we know it, we will be complaining about the heat! LOL
Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #73  

Well, I'm not at all sure about "global warming" myself but I've heard it can make the weather crazy...not warm all over but extreme changes in the usual climates.

Wannabe - Hope the copper and the arthritis med helps you. I don't know that I have arthritis except maybe in my lower back and lt knee but I do have a lot of pain ...mine seems to be more muscle though. Anyway once I bought one of those copper bracelets they sell for arthritis, got a few yards away and my arm started tingling and breaking out! My skin is sensitive to bracelets of any kind but but usually I just feel it, not breakout. So went right back and returned it. Might not have been the copper..who knows what other metal it might have had in it..but it was advertised as copper.

We didn't go to the gym today...neither of us slept very well. I had a crazy dream that seemed so real but can't remember much now. I do know I was young and had a little girl who was abducted and I was trying to track down the guy and find her. Wish I could remember it all as it would be a good mystery book. But I did wake up thinking how awful that would be to actually have happen and thanking God it didn't happen to me! In my dream I was very brave but not sure I could have handled it if it had really happened to me.

I need to get my hair cut....been saying that for a while now ...look like a shaggy dog. Also need a manicure. One of these days I'll actually leave the house and get her done..

Last edited by maryea; 02-25-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #74  

Mary, the guy they talked to on TV said that he thinks it was more the compression that helped him rather than the copper. I have a copper bracelet, not one that is meant for arthritis, but just a fashion bracelet, and it didn't seem to do anything good or bad for me. I just had to have DH polish it for me any time I wanted to wear it. It might contain other metals and just have a copper finish.

I have head a lot about El Nina causing changing weather patterns. I don't really understand it. I heard that they got a bad winter storm down south and some people have no electricity.

I tried the Tylenol Arthritis last night and it didn't help any. My elbow and hand were hurting a lot during the night making it difficult to sleep. I also was having some pain in my shoulder, but I have exercises from PT that I can do to relieve that.

That was some dream! Have you been reading mystery books lately? I have very strange dreams. They say it comes from your subconcious but I have no idea where some of my dreams come from.

Now that my hair is this short I can not just brush it and go. It just sticks up all over the place. I have to wash it and style it every day. I do my own manicures. They aren't great, but better than nothing. My nails have become stronger since I increased my vegetable consumption.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-26-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #75  

Height: 5' 2"

Manicure? Never had one but am uncomfortable even when my daughter cut my toe nails when I was in a cast, years ago. I enjoy seeing others with pretty nails, but will continue making due with my old way.

Copper causing problems!!! It could have nickle in it, and I bet it does with the price of copper now. I break out if I wear cheep jewelry that has nickle and it takes weeks to get the rash tamed down. Good luck.

Bummer to have to wash and style your hair daily.

Mine is short, "wind blown" and DH can't tell when I comb it or not. Directly from bed it is awful, but he doesn't notice and doesn't have on his glasses.

Mary, I had some dizzy spells lately for about 4 or 5 mornings and still don't know why. I bet it is a virus because it passed nd I'm fine. Bit scary tho.

Pain and pills. Surely the medical system can develop more help for those with pain!!!

Went to gym yesterday, 15 min on recumbent bike and was running late for an appointment. Today, dragging, but really need to move more and eat less.

Last edited by love2garden; 02-26-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Closed Thread