Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #121  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Mary ~ I think we were posting at the same time. The nurse at the dr's office said if I hadn't heard from them by Wednesday ~ for me to call them. So, I am thinking that they think they will have the results by then. At that point, I am supposed to have another appointment with the dr about the results and probably that is when the surgery will get scheduled.

I'm sorry you are having pain and feeling so stiff. It is discouraging to feel that way ~ when in your head you don't feel old. I had an episode with stiffness in my mid 40's. I remember going in to work ~ feeling so stiff and with some pain, and crying ~ thinking that I had 20 more years to work ~ and wondered how I was going to make it. I wonder if it was the beginnings of the RA? I had read that some people were having arthritis like symptoms after using aspartame ~ so that is what I thought it might be. I stopped using it and after a time that stiffness went away. So, I'm not really sure if it was that or what it was. I felt pretty discouraged ~ felt that I could accept being stiff and achy if I was a lot older than that. It was hard to accept at the age I was then. It is hard to accept now ~ like you ~ in my head, I don't feel old yet, but my body doesn't agree I guess

Your comment about maybe being stiffer because of your time away from the gym. It made me think of my experience the other day and puzzle at myself. One of the days I walked on the treadmill (even though it was only for 15 minutes) the next day, it felt like it had helped me to be less stiff. It made me wonder ~ if it helps me feel better ~ why is it such a battle every day to make myself get beyond thinking I should do it ~ to actually doing it? I sometimes think that if I could think of it like another medication ~ which I take like I should, maybe that would help me do it ~ but there is another notion that doesn't get beyond the thinking stage.

Oh ~ my rheumatologist told me that I will have to be off my meds for 2 weeks prior to that surgery. I am dreading that ~ I will make it through, but it is not going to be very comfy. Oh well, you do what you gotta do.

Last edited by glynne; 03-10-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #122  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle Sure agree with you that my largest fear is of pain. Really appreciate being comfortable but best of all being at home.

What fun to get time with your sister. All 3 of mine were older and are now gone. 1/2 sisters, all. I took care of Mom here for years when her Alzhimers finally required she spend the last 6 months of her life in a nursing home.

Funny, once a man met DH for job meeting at our dinning table and stayed past 11;00 PM talking loudly. Finally Mom came in limping badly with her cane to say with her firmest voice. "Young man, you have stayed late enough and it is time for you to go home." So much for business in our home with Mom and 4 kids, too.

Mary You mentioned Home Ec, that I didn't have but could have used. Mom worked, we had a part time housekeep who came after lunch and had supper ready for Mom and Dad & me. Mom started working in high school and didn't know much about cooking (except fantastic cakes) nor about housekeeping. Luckily in my Sophmore year in college I took Food prep. and nutrition and Child care as electives. Boy did I use what I learned with these three!!!

You mentioned difficulty getting up from your chair. I hear you. PT had me squatting down 30 times as if I were going to sit in a chair but getting back up to repeat instead. I'm back to practicing those 30 squats daily and it seems to be helping.

My husband is behind me making fishing lures, bet he would love to be with your husband using those lures, sharing those lures and fishing!!! Still have piles of show in areas, but grass is finally showing.

Was glad to hear that your DH doesn't show signs of Raynalds Disease.

Carol Sue For many years we had a part time Engineering business from our home, garage turned into an office with blueprint machine and drafting tables. I did the paper work and accounting. When we combined our business with our son and had a partnership business 5 miles from our home in an industrial park, I continued similar work for 6 or 7 engineers, but luckily our DIL took over the accounting.

Now that "office" garage has DD's art projects, carpentry shop, pantry and Gym equipment but good ventilation from extra vents put in from the time using the blueprint machines.

Snowy weather causes us to fuss that the snow piled up on our car and her van make getting out difficult. She used to have a garage in her home in Oregon, she she really misses that.

All of us can and will do more beginning toward good health, I bet.

DH met with his Lung doctor and heard the great news that he does NOT have COPD. He has a small amount of asbestos from the trips into construction to inspect progress of systems in building, but he is in amazing good health, with no deterioration since 2009. Thank God!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I agree that exercise helps with the stiffness and pain, and Gayle, I also have to push myself to do it. Yesterday I pushed myself to walk on the treadmill but only did 10 minutes. But it was better than nothing. Last night I had a lot of pain in my elbow and my hand. Both on the right. I just couldn't get comfortable. I didn't wear my elbow sleeve, that only helps slightly, and didn't want to get up and try to find it in the dark. It is probably on the dresser, but didn't want to turn on a light with DH sleeping. Today my knee feels tight, like there's fluid. My rings are also very tight, so I am probably retaining water. I will up my water drinking and see if that helps. I wonder if my pain is worse when I'm retaining fluid? My knee doesn't actually hurt, but it feels swollen when I bend my knee. That's the same way my elbow and fingers feel, but they hurt.

Gayle, it's normal to have to stop some meds before surgery, but when I had my bowel surgery it was an emergency and they had to take me up for surgery right away. I told them I was on Aspirin and Plavix but they said they would just have to deal with it because the surgery couldn't wait. It turned out OK. I lost a lot of blood, but not enough that I needed transfusions.

I also have to stop my Metformin when I have certain procedures that include IVP contrast dye. One time in the hospital a nurse made me take it the day after my prodecure. I told her that I wasn't supposed to take it and she insisted. I took it, and I was OK, but later on I thought I should have refused and told her to call my doctor. I will never let them do that to me again. I told the head nurse about it and she said she would talk to the other nurse, and she said she should have known better.

Mary, we had sewing in junior high and I took 1 year of Home Ec in high school. All I remember about it is we made muffins. LOL Everything else I learned was "on the job" training. If you're hungry, cook something. If it's dirty, clean it. LOL Come to my house sometime and you'll see that not everything sunk in. You seem to have a very good system of getting things done.

If you are having trouble getting up from a chair, try this. While you're sitting in your chair, watching TV etc, do leg lifts. Keep your thigh on the chair, but lift your foot up until you leg is straight out, then lower and do the other leg. If you put your hand on the thigh muscle right above your knee you can feel it contracting. That is the muscle that helps you get up from sitting. I get the same muscle contraction from riding my recumbent bike. I think this has the same effect as the squats Love2garden mentioned, but squats hurt my knee, and I also lose my balance and have to hold onto something.

Love2garden, I'm glad your DH doesn't have COPD and his health is good.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #124  

Height: 5'3"

We went to the gym a bit earlier today. I did the same routine I did Mon. It is one a friend does so I decided to try it...it is ten min at walking as fast as I'm able, ten min at biking (I do it at ten) and 10 min at weights. I also continue to do 6 min on the hand bike if poss. It feels good to get back to the weight machines and I'm not walking so long that I'm bored, however I would like to maintain my ability to walk at least a mile. Ten min. is only 1/2 mile, maybe a little more for me.

Carol Sue - Does sound like you're retaining water. Hope pushing the fluids helps you, if not see your doctor, just in case. Sounds like you are knowledgeable about how your body works though.

Once when I had a scan done I forgot and took my Metformin. I called the on-call doc and he said (very seriously) well, it's too late so go in for a kidney function test tomorrow which kinda scared me. I did get the test done and apparently it was normal as I never heard anything afterwards. I forgot about it and didn't ask. In my readings online I think this more an issue with those who already have renal failure, however I would obey the instructions just in case.

I didn't like Home Ec esp the sewing, I'm still not a good sewer although I did it quite a bit for many years. I sewed for myself and my dds and also made pjs for my dh and one of my sons. I also made a lot of Halloween constumes...I enjoyed those the most. But usally sewing always made me nervous. I did it because I thought that's what mothers do. I'm not at all sure it saved money.

Carol Sue/Love2 - I never thought about the leg raises strengthening my legs for getting up but am sure you're right. I do them sometimes here at home but not consistently and also at the gym with weight but I will try and do them more consistently. I notice I also cannot do squats as well now due to my increased stiffness. BTW, if they hurt your knee (and sometimes they do me too), supposedly sticking your bottom back further helps. But if you're stiff like me that seems to get harder to do too. I don't think holding on to something will take away from the benefits but of course be careful not to fall. It's not so easy staying in shape is it yet is so important to good health. At least we keep trying.

Love2 - Think that was me that said probably my biggest fear (related to death) is pain, but I'm sure it is for many people, esp if they've had a lot of it already. My sister lives in MO so I rarely see her. She isn't much for texting or email so I actually don't have much communication with her. We talk on the phone a few times a year. I wish we had more communication. Last time I saw her was in 2011 when I went back to visit my brother who was dying. My sil also lives there. We hope to be able to get back that way again before long.

Well, need to get busy with other things. Take care.

Last edited by maryea; 03-11-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #125  

My weight was down another lb this morning, so that is 6 lbs in the past 4 weeks or so. I am happy with that, although I don't usually lose that fast and I don't expect it to continue that way. I have been cutting back on portions, stopping when satisfied, not stuffed, and not snacking or eating when not hungry. It's a lot easier to control it through the week. I will see how I do with the weekend coming. I hope I at least maintain what I've already lost.

My hand is still swollen but I think that is from arthritis. My knee feels better and my ankles don't swell. I think that's the worst sign, when you're ankles swell.

I did some home sewing for a while, but it was more of a hobby rather than a money saving venture. I still have my sewing machine but all I do is hems and mending. I even tried my hand at crafts for a while but that was a flop. I love to see the nice things that other people make but I'm just no good at it. I also used to knit and crochet a lot. I entered an afghan in the county fair one year and won 4th prize. That made me want to do it every year but then I got into reading and gave up my crocheting.

When I was in my early 20s I wanted to learn to knit and crochet so I went to a class at the YWCA. The woman said she couldn't teach me because I was left handed and I was doing everything backwards. So I bought a learn-how book and I taught myself. What it told me to do with my left hand, I did with my right, and vice versa. I don't know if an experienced person could look at my work and tell that it's all backwards. LOL

My blood sugar is getting a little better, but my blood pressure is still too high. DH''s blood pressure is up recently too and I worry more about him than I do myself because I am open to changing or increasing meds for it but he isn't. Actually, he is supposed to be taking 2 different meds for it but he decided he didn't need the other one and quit taking it. He is very stubborn. I noticed that since I started eating a little less, he did too, so maybe his will come back down. He has a family history of strokes and I want him to avoid that! But I can't make him do what he doesn't want to do.

I woke up early around 4 AM and couldn't go back to sleep. I think I will go back in and see if I can get a little more sleep as DH won't get up until around 9 AM. If I don't I will have to take a nap again today.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #126  

Dh went fishing again today so it's just Halo and me. I'm going out soon to get her some dog food. We are trying the Wellness brand the vet recommended and she seems to like it. Not sure if it's helping her smell any yet though.

I was able to do 30 squats yesterday!! I stuck my bottom back as I mentioned and they didn't hurt my knee and I was able to do them freely, didn't seem to be so stiff. I also did 20 leg lifts. I'll try and continue, as I hate that old stiff feeling. I always feel better when I am moving and esp stretching.

I ate way too much yesterday, I felt full but not actually stuffed, I'm sure my bs must have spiked very high in the evening but this am it was actually lower than usual although still high. And my weight was even slightly lower. I've had this happen before and I've given up trying to figure it all out. I did exercise quite a lot, what with the gym and squats and leg lifts.

Carol Sue - Congrats on the 6# weight loss!! I'd like to lose again, but I just eat too much and still can't seem to get back to trying, I do a little now and then but then stop. Yes, the swelling sounds like arthritis. Dh's fingers swell frequently and are crooked but so far he does not have pain. He is not the type to complain of pain, so it is hard to know. Sometimes I'll ask him, does that hurt and he'll say well it's just an ache not really pain. Sounds like your crocheting was pretty good to win a prize. I never learned to knit or crochet, just sewing. My mom, sis, sil all sewed so I thought I should, but wouldn't do it again cause it really wasn't for me. I'm more a thinker, I like figures (math) and computers...but at that time I wasn't really sure who I was, you know? and did what I thought was expected of me. If I could do my earlier life over again, I'd do my own thing as I do now.

I want to get a little housework done before going out so better get busy. This getting up late doesn't leave me much time to get things done. Yesterday I did get our bedroom and one bathroom weekly cleaned and quick vaccuming of a few other rooms. You all have a good day!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #127  

I went back to bed and slept until 10:30!

Mary
, DH used to go fishing but not anymore. He even got his lifetime senior license because he thought he and his brother were going to start fishing but his brother got a girlfriend instead. LOL I used to get a license too and did fish sometimes until the price went up and I didn't think it was worth it. After that I would go with him and take a lawn chair and sit and read while he fished. I miss that. Maybe I will get him to do it again this summer.

My fingers have been crooked for quite a few years, but they never hurt until recently. Last night I wore my elbow sleeve and it helped a little bit with the elbow. DH said he has seen something else he wants me to try. I'll have to look at it.

My weight I lost was just weight I had gained, so I don't feel so proud about it. My low in recent years was 181 and when I get below that I will feel that I deserve to feel proud.

I have never had good FBG even when my A1c was below 6. My doctor was very happy about that and didn't care about the fasting. I know my A1c would be above 7 if I got it tested now because I've had some bad reading in the past few months, but they are improving. If I'm below 130 in the morning that's very good for me. I get lower ones later on in the day. It just spikes overnight and I have tried snacking, not snacking, protein, carbs. What works one day doesn't work the next. I think there are a lot more things involved, such as sleep quality, stress, exercise, etc.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #128  

Carol Sue, DH has his free senior license and so do I, but I stopped fishing, DH still does whenever he gets the opportunity. Our son-in-law will some times drive over 4 hours away, get DH then drive another 2or 3 hours for them to fish in a stream we've used for decades. He remembers going with us when he was dating our daughter, and now he is a grandpa.

Those anxieties about blood sugar, etc, would be so hard. I am most afraid of that, but so far no problem. Hope you can get under control and remain there. Hope the compacting elbow sleeve helps more and more.

Mary, I learned to sew before I went to school. Mom and my grandmother and older sister all sewed and I wanted to also. Loved to do so and am sorry that arthritis stops the hand sewing and limits cutting out a pattern.

Don't know why it never bothers me to type?

DH and I to Bible study today, full group of 12 or more. DH always goes into kitchen and makes coffee, brings cups etc, then cleans up afterward. Once they clapped when he came after missing a week.

Yesterday I had a delightful lunch with our youngest daughter. Don't see nearly enough of her. We are interested in so many of the same things that she is also one of my favorite friends as well as our daughter.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #129  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Another dreary rainy day here today. Someday the sun will come out again ~ looking forward to that.

DD was late getting home last night ~ so we had Maddie for a couple hours extra. That is ok, but makes for a long afternoon ~ for Maddie and us. DD got out a little early tonight ~ so that was like a real treat. We enjoy having Maddie, but also look forward to being able to relax for a bit in the evening after she goes home.

Another day of not accomplishing much ~ head was aching. It has let up a little bit now. Hope it is all gone tomorrow. I struggle to eat right and do some kind of exercise when I am feeling ok, but even more so when I don't feel so good.

Hope you all have had a good day.

Sorry my posts always have some mention of not feeling good.

Last edited by glynne; 03-12-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #130  

Well, Gayle, if you don't feel good, you don't feel good. This is a place to come and share.

I didn't want to take any Tylenol last night because I don't want to take it every day. My elbow was hurting and the only way it felt ok was if I laid on my back with it straight down at my side. I had it on top of the covers. DH rolled over and took the covers with him and my arm flew up in the air! OUCH! Then I put it under the covers but it was too late. I don't blame him. He didn't do it on purpose.

We haven't watched our grandson for a while now. We are supposed to take him overnight on the 28th. They must be going somewhere they are staying overnight, or something that runs really late. I don't like taking him overnight because he never wants to go to bed. At home, his mother lies in bed with him every night until he falls asleep. I don't know why she started that, but he's almost 7 and I think that should stop, but I'm not the parent. When he's here, no one lies in bed with him, so he won't go. We wait until he falls asleep on the couch then DH carries him in. Sometimes it's 11 or 12 midnight. That's way to late for me. I hate it. I'm so tired and he's still jumping around laughing and carrying on. DH lets him do whatever he wants because he wants him to like him, which he does. The next day I'm exhausted.

Love2garden, I don't think our senior fishing license is free here. I think it's $50, but you pay it out one time only and you have the license for life. If it was free, I would get one.

I went and got a carry permit for a gun. LOL I don't even know how to hold a gun. I tried shooting at the shooting range one time, but I didn't really like it. DH wanted me to get the permit just in case, because he said they are going to change the rules that you can't get it unless you give them a valid reason for needing it. So I have it, but I doubt that I will ever use it.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #131  

Carol Sue Gun permit? I have heard lots of discussion in our state, but also somewhere they are doing away with need to carry a gun concealed, but can carry it out in the open even in Church, Bars, etc. OUCH>

What a challenge to watch a grandchild who hasn't learned to go to sleep by himself yet. Glad your husband is one carrying him to bed. Hope you go on to bed when you need to.

I laughed as you told of your husband turning over and taking all the covers. Sure sounds like this household. Hope you find a way to get that elbow healed and hurt free.

Gayle I remember keeping our grandkids and how exhausted I'd be. Used to keep 2 preschoolers 3 days a week, then work the other 3 days. Luckily one was very well behaved and the other was willing to take an afternoon nap. I was texting with each today and they are now in their 20's

Mary Good luck on the "almost sitting down in a chair type squats." PT told me that takes some of the pressure off the knee but helps build strength in lots of areas.

Enjoyed the dreary weather that at least was warm enough to be in garden. Some plants pulled that were making our pathway too narrow, and DH dug up mulched path that is mostly good rich compost now. I'll use those 4 wheelbarrow loads when I plant in April and May. Such rich stuff and free, too.

Like Gayle, I prefer bright sunshine, but at least I did get out of the house.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #132  

I'm tired today, slept last night but also awake a lot. I'll be glad when ds comes home (tomorrow) and can take care of his own dog. She's very restless when he's not here. Actually last night was the best she's done but I'm tired of it and so is dh. She's such a good dog in most ways but she's also such a demanding dog at times. I saw online the top 10 "drama queen dogs" and bassett hound was rated #5. I'd hate to live with the first four!

I used to fish with dh, but for years now he has preferred to only fish for steel head and salmon (we consider both salmon but some think of steel head as a type of trout) and they are so big. I am not strong enough to pull one in plus I don't like the style of fishing. My style is more like the mid-west...sit there and read a book until you feel a nibble. I have also gone and sat and read while he fished but I get bored. There are always lots of other men there so he's not alone. Over the years he's gotten to know some of them as he is a very friendly and likeable guy. One has even taken him out in his boat to help him catch something. He used to bring so many fish home but now can't seem catch any or at least none he can keep. For years he had several fishing buddies but they have dwindled in recent years due to lack of interest, too busy or declining health. I think he actually prefers to do it with men friends or alone and it's good for both of us to do our own thing now and then. I don't think a senior license is nearly that much here, however it may be annual and is for over 70 year olds. I haven't fished since we retired. I do use a rod with a trap for crabbing at the coast. I wish the US had a national license so one could fish in any state without buying another one. I'd like this so dh could more easily fish when we travel. He doesn't like getting a state license when we are only there a little while so he misses many great fishing opportunities.

I did my squats and leg lifts again last night, twenty each ...leg lifts 20 each leg. Went to the gym this am, and got to chat with a friend there. She's going to be moving before long and I also hadn't seen her for several months due to not going to the gym for so long there. Afterwards we got a request from son to check something out for him, so we did that and then had lunch in Mex restaurant. By the time we got home my back was really hurting and I crashed for an hour. It still hurts but not so badly.

Love2 when I read about your dreary weather that still was warm enough for gardening, I could imagine the good feel of being outside like that. Maybe because it was a little cooler here too today. I like cooler weather that is not really cold.

Carol Sue - I hope you will never have to use your gun. We have one but do not carry it. Our son who is really into guns talked dh into taking it for protection. I have never touched it.

We are fortunate in that our two local gc usually go to bed very easy but the three that were here at Christmas didn't go to sleep until very late. I don't like that but parents are different. It does make it hard if one is babysitting!

Love2 - It is great that you have such a good relationship with your dd! That is such a blessing.

Glynne - Sorry to hear you have had a headache. Do you know what causes the headaches, weather, allergies, stress Even some meds can do it. Hope it is better today. Its hard to do anything if you don't feel well.

Hoping you are all having a good weekend!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #133  

I don't understand why my daughter-in-law lies down with my grandson at bedtime. When he was a baby, one time we were babysitting and I told her he wouldn't go to sleep so I rubbed his back for a while until he fell asleep. She said "Well, that's fine, as long as he grows up and finds a wife that's willing to do that for him every night." I took that to mean that she didn't approve of me doing that. I know she used to read a book for him every night, but as soon as he got big enough for a full size bed, she started lying in bed with him to read him the book, and this is how it turned out. When we watch him, his dad will say "His bedtime is 9:30." but that does not happen. He doesn't want to go to bed and DH won't make him go. I'm just glad we don't watch him very often anymore. His other grandparents watch him more than we do, but they go to AZ for the winter so we are the only babysitters over the winter.

DH rarely keeps any fish he catches. He just does it for sport. We don't have good fish like salmon around here. I think trout and walleye are the best we have, and the fish commission stocks them. Nature only puts catfish and carp in our waters.

I am starting to reconsider using something to help me sleep. Maybe Melatonin. I think this lack of sleep is getting very hard on my body. Last night I took off my Cpap and tried to sleep without it and that didn't work. I had to put it back on.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #134  

I just checked online and our Senior Lifetime Fishing License is $51.70 for anyone 65 or older. Starting 2015, if you want a trout/salmon stamp you have to buy it extra every year. Before, when DH got his, it was included and he is grandfathered in. Apparently, there is salmon in Lake Erie. I think you also have to buy a special stamp to fish in Lake Erie. DH did it years ago, but not now.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #135  

Finally getting here today. We got up early (yes we really did! ) and went to Portland for our gs' dance competition. He had two dance performances, one with a little girl and the other with the group. He did very well and he and the little girl are SO cute together! He has said he wants to be an engineer for a while now (he's only 7 ) but my dd told me he is talking more and more about wanting to be an actor, and to be on TV etc. Well you never know...It's important to encourage their dreams/aspirations and fun to see where they go.

After the dance competition we went to our gd's basketball game. It's always fun to watch these little ones just learning to play plus to chat with their mom and other grandma. We don't see our dd or the kids nearly as much these days with everything that's been going on in our lives. Our younger son and his fam will be coming up again soon so our house will be crowded again like at the holidays. And then today I found out our oldest dd and her son are coming for a few days towards the end of the month!

Gotta run,
Mary

Last edited by maryea; 03-15-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Closed Thread