Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #331  

Height: 5'3"

So lazy today...didn't sleep in anymore than usual but haven't gotten much done around here. Dh and son went fishing in son's boat...not sure when they will be home, and Halo and I have just been goofing off. I have been eating pretty well. My bs was high before and 2 hrs after breakfast, but for lunch was close to ok. My meals however are so off schedule that unless I eat very late (like 8 or later) my bs probably won't be good next time I take it. I just can't get this diabetes thing right.

Called my sister...we hadn't spoken in a long time so talked way too long. She and he dh seem to get more and more disabled, just weak and in pain and can't be on their feet very long I guess. Sure feel sorry for them.

I forgot one of my gd's birthday which is to morrow. We will try to call her but didn't get her card with cash gift sent. She understands but I think I have done that twice now.

Hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day!! Do you have any special plans?
We will go out to eat with a couple of our kids and gk. Not sure where yet.

Well I'm tired from all my laziness...LOL...perhaps I'll take a nap..

Last edited by maryea; 05-09-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #332  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It was a nice weather day today ~ sunny ~ love that sun shine.

It seemed to be a week for headaches again. I think I am gonna start keeping a journal of them and show to the dr when I see her in a couple weeks. The one yesterday just would not let up, despite some excedrin and a hot shower ~ which usually work. Woke up with it again this morning, but thankfully was able to get rid of it and enjoy the rest of the day.

Went to DS Jason's and helped him finish up hanging the wire that runs from the modem to his devices. Then we helped him hang several pictures ~ different places around the apartment. He moved there a few weeks back and is still settling in. Has gotten quite a bit unpacked and set up, but more to do ~ he works on it a little at a time ~ not much time left over after work and sleep.

Tomorrow DD Sara is coming over to grill something ~ I guess it will be a mother's day celebration for both of us. I'm gonna make a salad. Always enjoy getting to spend time with her. Probably Maddie will come, not sure about Corbin.

My sister is in Ohio (lives in Kentucky) and will get to visit mom at the nursing home. They are having a little sort of luncheon of desert for Mother's Day. I'm glad she will get to be there with Mom. I call her most every day ~ wish I lived closer so I could hug on her more often.

I wish for you all a nice Mother's Day.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #333  

I hope you have all had a good Mother's Day. Mine sure has been! First I dropped a pound (but Wed is weigh-in day now) and got some nice gifts I wasn't expecting. We went to church and out to eat afterwards. Our son still has to drive 4-5 hours for a business trip tonight but he took time to celebrate with us, such a sweetie!. Got texts from the other kids.

Just ordered a new shade for our bedroom window. I hope it fits..even though I measure I am always a bit apprehensive about buying things like that that have to fit! You may remember me being that way about my fridge too.

Glynne - Hope you had a nice meal with your dd, did your son join you too? Glad he's getting settled into his new place and that you and your dh could help.

I'm sleeping now, think I'll take a nap.

Last edited by maryea; 05-10-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #334  

Height: 5' 2"

Looks as if all of us were too busy to post yesterday. Our youngest daughter drove up with some delicious Indian food she prepared. We 4 visited and finished off several pots of coffee. Sometimes in the house, sometimes out at one of the seating areas in the garden. So grateful for huge shade tree.

Yellow Peonies bloomed yesterday and are fantastic. So glad we put those three beautiful shrub like peonies in front of our brick house. When we sit on the front porch, we are almost hidden from view with 3 huge Peonies blooming yellow and foliage that is equally beautiful.

Both daughters are artists and had fun taking photos of family and of the flowers blooming all over. One put garden photos on Facebook. They also spent long time talking about all the paintings DD#2 has in the front room studio. She is such a great artist.

DS called, they all went to DGS's for grilled food and then watched Star Wars Movie. Anthony at 2 had never seen such exciting stuff and was wide eyed and grinning so big. DS called and we talked for long time about each of our celebrations of Mother's Day.

Our oldest daughter was on day 10 in their new house, without the range for the kitchen which is still on order. Yet, they invited 5 other mother's to great meal on grill on the huge patio that runs length of house. He is a former chef who can make everything healthy and delicious. So sorry they live too far a way.

Like Mary, we also went to Church before our daughter came up. White carnations were given to each of us mothers, and we received a special blessing before we left.

Gayle hope you are without a headache today. Also that yesterday with your family was very good. Glad you are keeping a record of these headaches to report to your doctor.

Mary Hope your shade fits. Will it also darken the room if you want to nap in the daytime? Good to hear you had a good Mother's Day.

Carol Sue Hope everything went well for you this weekend.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #335  

Got ready to go to the gym but then had to babysit. It was a health thing and important so we did it. The kids are being good although after dh gave them some M&Ms the youngest one got into his stash when he wasn't around. So I had to hide them. It's suppose to only be a treat now and then.

I had to reorder my shade as for some reason it didn't go through when I tried to pay by Paypal. So this time used my credit card. While at the site I also ordered three tops for myself. I need plain T-shirts to wear for every day and to the gym. I save shipping with JC Penney by picking up in the store. Sure hope they fit. I try them on in the fitting room and return them right then if they don't. Remember the old catalog days..ugh! So love modern life! Yes Love2garden, this is a black out shade so we should sleep very good day or night! When we have to get up early, we just leave the shade up a little plus we get light from the adjoining bathroom.

Our son is out of town for a few days. Miss him, esp when the dog starts barking in the middle of the night! Last night I was sleeping and heard a strange sound...it took me a few seconds to figure out it was her barking. I only heard the one bark but she may have barked more. I don;t think she really needs to go out but dh jumped up right away.

I'm trying to be very good on my diet as I'm tracking every bite for my doctor. Not going without carbs as he suggested but before that he just asked me to track what I eat for him. So I'm doing this one step at a time.
Of course when I know he's going to read it I'm more careful plus I am concerned about my bs and the way I feel. I'm trying to adhere closer to my old diet that the nutritionist gave me when I went to the diabetic classes and see how I do. I only get one carb in the eve and last night I didn't even have it. BS still high though. Yesterday's big Mother's Day meal didn't help.

Love2garden - Sounds like you have a lovely family. Indian food is delicious! And a sil who is a chef!! I'd want them to live nearby too Your flowers sound beautiful. Our flowers are blooming pretty well now...the rhodies took a while this year but are in full bloom now as well as some of the smaller plants. We have a lot of weeds though and haven't had time to do a good job at them, dh did spray some weed killer. I worried about the dog though as while he was doing it she was sick on the rug once and another time acted like she needed to throw up but didn't. She has survived though. He didn't think about it but we need to find something safe for her.

Carol Sue - You doing ok? Hope you had a nice Mother's Day.

Glynne - How are you doing? I hope the headaches stay away!!

Last edited by maryea; 05-11-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #336  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I'm OK. I'm just having a stressful few days right now and don't feel much like talking. It's not anything earth shattering.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-11-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #337  

I'm feeling a little better today. I guess a good nights sleep helped. We have decided to adopt a dog from the animal shelter. We saw 2 different ones on the website but by the time we got there someone had adopted them. So we went again on Saturday and saw a dog we want, but he was not neutered yet so we couldn't take him. He was neutered yesterday so they told us he will be available on Wednesday, but even though I filled out the application and it was approved, if someone else happens to get there before us, they can take the dog. They will not hold him. Almost all of the other dogs they had have been adopted. I would take just about any of them, but DH got so attached to this one, he says if we lose out on this one he doesn't want another one after losing out on the first 2.

I feel bad getting so stressed out over a dog when there are so many people who have such serious problems in their life. But my stomach is tied in knots over this. The only thing we can do is be there 30 min before they open on Wed and hope that we get him. You know how they say "Be careful what you wish for?" Well I keep thinking if we don't get this dog then it wasn't meant to be. We might get it and it might turn out to be nothing but trouble. We have always been lucky with the other dogs we've had. You really have to be a dog lover to understand what I'm feeling.

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed their Mother's Day. My step-children came over for a while. Their bio mother passed away, so I am the only mother figure they have, so we go through the motions. I appreciate that they do that. I always tried to make it feel like a normal family for them.

We got the mulch put down on one side of the house, and in the front. It was so hot when we did it, close to 90. I wanted to wait until it cooled down a bit but DH wanted it done. It's supposed to get more seasonal temperatures coming up. The other side of the house needs trimmed and cleaned up before we put down the mulch. I looked and saw that there are a few iris sticking up through the ground where DH stuck that yucca. Maybe we can move the yucca somewhere else and I can rescue the iris bulbs. But I have to do that in cooler weather. I can't take being out in the heat.

So I will keep you posted to let you know if we get the dog. Here is a pic of him. We will call him Rusty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rusty 011.jpg (27.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #338  

Well, the shelter called us and they let us come in today to get the dog, even though they are closed today. I was very thankful of that, and told them. Right now he is very timid and he's just walking around the house exploring. He runs if we try to approach him, but he seems to be following DH wherever he goes, and that is such a good thing! So my stress is over...until this dog pees on the floor. LOL
Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #339  

Carole Sue, I'm glad you got the dog you and esp your dh wanted. He looks very sweet. We are going to dh's appt with our new doctor soon and I'm going with him. I got ready early as I didn't read the appt time correctly, now I'm all dressed up with no place to go. Last night we babysat again, I had forgotten we were going to do that. Usually they eat before coming over. I fixed Cod fish with olive oil, lemon and almonds on top, asparagus, onions and mushrooms for our veggies and corn for the grain. Dh wanted rice, so I heated some leftover rice, and he said it was too hard and said no more leftover rice for him. I had forgotten he eats corn for dessert not as a side dish. The fish was really good but I was sorry he didn't enjoy the meal and the kids would not eat it at all. I thought they might like the corn but they said no they had corn at home. They refused every healthy and somewhat healthier option and ended up with crackers and chocolate milk.

I got a bottle of Green Tea Extract that I am trying and will review it. I've tried others like this with no success, so really wasn't expecting much, but so far it seems to help me with my appetite. As I've tracked my food this week it stands out to me that I've had too much sugar. Dh shared 1/2 a large cinnamon roll with me after the kids left last night and my bs was over 200 when I went to bed. This morning it was high as usual but lower than many days. I told dh I can't eat like that anymore. I'm embarrassed to show my doctor. My son had left me with a bag of toffees he didn't like (he is not a sweet eater) and I gave it away. Didn't care for them but they still tempted me.

Hope you all have a good day..it's cooler today and suppose to rain this morning. Looks like maybe it already has but it isn't right now.

Last edited by maryea; 05-12-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #340  

It will take some time for the dog to get used to our house and us, but so far, he likes DH more than me, but that's a good thing. He will warm up to me in time. He has not had any water or food since he got here, but he is also recovering from surgery to be neutered yesterday, so that could be why. I made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I usually eat a small portion of pasta and fill up on meatballs. I gave a couple meatballs to the dog and he really liked them. I don't want him to get used to eating human food but I wanted him to have something. I put one on the floor, then the rest of them I made him come and take them from my hand and he very timidly did it. When I was cooking he kept coming into the kitchen. I think he smelled the food. My step-daughter is coming over to see him tonight.

Mary, I can't eat things like cinnamon rolls. My blood sugar spikes too high. I have lost some of my craving for sweets by not eating them. They say if you eat the sweets with your meal your blood sugar won't spike so high but that doesn't work for me. Just can't eat them. Sometimes I will take 1 small bite of something DH has.

It is much cooler today than it was, and we turned off the air conditioning. Tomorrow night it is going to go down to 39. Might need the furnace on!

Tomorrow they are coming to put in our new garage door. It's a good day for it because we planned on staying home all day with the dog. We will do that until he gets used to being here. I don't know what he would do if we left him here alone. I also don't know where he's going to sleep tonight. He likes to go under the dining room table and did fall asleep there this afternoon. We plan on getting him a bed. We have the afghan on the floor that we had for the other dog but he doesn't seem to be interested in laying on it. My mother-in-law made that afghan for my step-daughter when she was little but one of the dogs threw up on it and she didn't want it anymore, even after I washed it. I use it for the dogs and would not get rid of it because "Grandma" made it.

That's funny that DH eats his corn for dessert. I think it takes a long time for kids to start to eat fish. I know my grandson has had fish sticks, but I don't know if he's ever had any other fish. I know his parents buy fresh tuna and salmon but I don't know if John has ever eaten it. Usually they just give him whatever they are having for dinner. I'm curious..I'll have to ask.

I hope DH doctor's appointment went well. I have an appointment with the cardiologist on Friday and DH said he thinks we will be able to leave the dog home alone by then. I am going to talk to him about my weight, and see if he has any suggestions that I have not already tried. because I don't eat sweets and I do eat a lot of veggies. I guess I just eat too much.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #341  

Back again..dh likes the new doctor! I don't think we really realized how different things should be until we switched. I feel like we had become kinda terrorized by our previous doctor. Dh would tell him about his tiredness and his back and leg pain and he just told him there was nothing he could do. This doctor checked him out pretty thoroughly and asked him questions about his pain and said he thinks he has osteo spinal stenosis which totally makes sense the way he describes it. Dh was VERY tired today..his eyes were so red (around his eyes), and he says he only slept 3 or 4 hours last night. Doc said he may check him for sleep apnea. I don't think he has it but at least we can rule it out.

We had lunch out as we were running around shopping too..went to 5 Guys where I had a grilled veggie sandwich. I love them and most places do not grill them and/or they put on an icky sauce. At 5 Guys they just add cheese if you want it. They usually put on 2 sl of cheese and I just got one today but also like it without. It's kind of messy but yummy! Guess I didn't eat enough this morning as I got more hungry this afternoon though, tried to at least stick to what I would have eaten if I'd taken the time. Didn't help my bs any though. With diabetes you can't really make up meals..unless you drop really low maybe. But I'm doing better and the Green Tea Extract helps but not so much this afternoon since I didn't eat right early on. Dinner tonight was teriyaki beef and veggies (green beans and onions) with rice (1/2 cup).

Guess dogs are all different like people in some respects at least..I wonder whether he'd ever get used to sleeping on the afghan. Halo has two beds...one in our son's room and one in the family room, but she really prefers the sofas. She's happy to go to bed in our son's room if he is there but not so much otherwise. In the evening if he is not home, we have to work at persuading her to sleep in the family room with us. Sometimes she will, sometimes she won't. We usually put her in her large crate when we leave even though she never has accidents. Just don't want to take a chance. She hates the crate and we have to force her into it. She is very stubborn and very strong! I can understand not wanting to be in a crate, but otherwise not sure it matters where she is as she just sleeps where ever she is.

Last edited by maryea; 05-12-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #342  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It has been a couple of rainy dreary days. I like it so much better when it is sunny out. I feel like a slug when it is like this. Somehow the sun makes me feel better and more like doing stuff.

Went to the foot dr today to see about getting a new pair of orthotics made.

Tomorrow, I go for an endoscopy to check my stomach. I had some polyps ~ some small and one that was pretty good sized ~ removed a while back and the dr wanted to follow up and check. He changed my medication (which he said caused the polyps). So, hoping he won't find any this time. I don't mind this one so much ~ the prep is just to eat a light supper and then nothing to eat or drink after midnight until after the proceedure. I can do that too, but usually end up with a headache from not eating for so long. It isn't until the afternoon.

DH goes on Saturday for a colonoscopy. I go two weeks from tomorrow for the same. I don't mind that either ~ the hardest part is the prep ~ but supposidly, this prep is a new one with less volume of stuff to drink. Toward the end of the prep I did last time, I started to feel nauseaus. I'll be glad when it is over.

Mary ~ glad you both are liking your new doctor. I am so glad that you have a nice caring one now.

Carol Sue ~ Rusty is so cute. So happy for you that you were able to get him.

Love2 ~ glad you had a nice mother's day and got to spend time in your out door gardens.

It will soon be time for bed. Hope you all have a good rest.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #343  

I have my fingers crossed, but I think Rusty might be house broken. I saw from the paperwork that they just got him in on the 7th of May. They said some of the dogs might be housebroken and some not. They had gone to a house that was over-run with 62 dogs. Can you imagine? There were 2 big litters of puppies in that group. We kept taking him out yesterday but he didn't do anything. Nothing overnight, but this morning DH took hm out and he peed. My step-daughter came over and he loved her! She is soft spoken and she was running up and down the yard with him. I can't run. I'm lucky I can walk. He likes to sit by the sliding glass door, I guess he likes to see the outside. All of our dogs liked that. He hates being on the leash but he will have to learn that for now, as we have 1 section of our yard that is not fenced in. All of our other 5 dogs were trained to stay in the yard and we never once had one run off, but we did watch them...not just let them out. If they wandered too close to the neighbors yard we called them back and they came. This dog will have to be on a leash until he learns that, if he ever does. I don't think DH will get a fence. Yesterday he kept his tail down and would run if we approached him, but after my step-daughter was here his tail lifted a bit. He will come over to me while I'm sitting at the computer, but if I reach out to him he backs off. He didn't bark at all yesterday, even when the neighbor's dogs barked, but he barked a few times during the night. Probably heard critters in the yard. I think he wants to sleep on our bed, which won't be allowed. He approached the bed a couple times but we told him to lie down. He didn't lie on the afghan, but mostly likes to be under the dining room table or right by the sliding glass door. He has eyed the sofa, but hasn't tried to jump up yet. Our other dogs would lie up there, but we kept one of the doggy afghans up there for them and took it off if company came. My main concern now is potty training which he doesn't need so far, leash training and keeping him in the yard. Right now it sounds like he's trying to howl. It was like a big loud yawn. LOL All of our animals have had different personalities.

When we got the other dogs, we would pick them up and place them in the dog bed and they realized what it was for, and always used them. I don't know if it would be a waste of money to get one for Rusty because he didn't even lay on the afghan.

I'm glad DH likes the doctor! I have sleep apnea and wear a Cpap at night. Usually people who have that are overweight. Most of the time you will notice that the person stops breathing during the night and then takes a big gasp of air. That's what DH said I did. They discovered it when I was in the hospital for heart surgery. They were trying to wean me off oxygen before I went home. One night they took if off me and then they had to come in during the night and put it back on. Then the one nurse noticed that my oxygen saturation dropped low just when I laid down. The nurse would come over and shake me and tell me to take a deep breath. That was when they decided to do the sleep study. I read somewhere that you can do the sleep study at home now under certain circumstances.

Gayle, I had to do that prep before the reversal of my colostomy. It was terrible. I hope I never have to do that again, but it saves lives. That's the important part.

Usually when I had to fast my procedure was in the morning. It's so hard to get up and not have breakfast or even coffee. I hope you get good test results.

Yesterday was very windy and it got cold in the evening and I needed my sweater. Today is supposed to be cool, too. Rain for the weekend.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-13-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #344  

Good morning! Guess it's probably not morning for some of you. I was in bed until a little after 9 then got a call to babysit. So the kids will be over soon. I'm sure not getting much housework done these days. My weight was down to 167.5 this morning. I feel like I was down to that a few weeks ago for one day, so may not be a new number but I was sure glad to see it, esp since I know I went over on both calories and carbs yesterday, so probably lost some fluid.

Carole Sue - It will be great if Rusty is housebroke! We really lucked out with Halo that way. I guess I'm getting used to her smell as I don't notice that so much now...only when I am really close to her or get a whiff if I'm near where she has just been sitting. A visitor would smell her I'm sure but we don't get many visitors other than the kids. Like you, Carole, I have covers for the sofas in the living room and remove it when we have company, even when all the kids are here for some special get together. Its also a good time to wash the covers before replacing them. She does not go on the sofa and chairs in the family room...hasn't for a long time. I have sprayed them twice because she started jumping up on a couple chairs. Since the last spray she's been good but it doesn't work in the living room so I gave in on that.
She can be very stubborn...last night since I was the last one out (stayed up to watch a movie) and she did not want to go into her master's room and tried every way she could to go around me, but I finally got her in. Funny thing when she gave up, she went in just fine of her only accord, but it's like she's letting me know she doesn't have to if she doesn't want to. Rusty sounds like a good dog and I hope you will be very happy with him. 62 dogs is an awful lot! I can't imagine he got much individual human attention, poor thing. Can't believe how warm it is there, Carole! You went from so cold to so hot very quickly, didn't you?

Glynne - Hope the polyps are all gone and that the test goes easily. I haven't had a colonoscopy for a long time. They do it easier now but like you I dread the prep. Nasty stuff. Glad to hear it's less at least. I probably will have to have one soon. I've been having some colon pain recently again, but I consume so much fiber that it doesn't bother me much. But now and then I get too much fiber and I don't feel so well so have to cut back again, so I go back and forth on that.

I've been typing this on and off starting before the kids came...I think mama should be back soon now. I'm ready to rest. Dh just left for his dental appt...they are trimming down his plate a bit..this is second time...to get it just right. For almost $8000 I want it to fit really really well!!

I've done daily cleaning and one load in washer and folded and put away some in the dryer than son left. The other load is probably almost ready to be transferred to dryer. I'm taking a break with a cup of tea.

Last edited by maryea; 05-13-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #345  

Mary, I had a very stressful day today. I had Rusty out in the yard on a leash, trying to get him used to the leash. I dropped the leash and he took off dragging the leash behind him. He can really run fast! I was chasing him up the street screaming like a banshee. Luckily it's chilly today and none of the neighbors were out to see me, but they probably heard me. One neighbor whom I didn't know came out and asked what was wrong. I explained it to her and she took me in her car riding around the neighborhood. DH has been in the house and didn't even know it happened. He looked for me and saw me getting in the lady's car up the street. He drove up to us and asked me if I lost the dog and I said yes. So he was also riding around looking for him. I really thought he was gone forever. We have a lot of woods around our place and if he got in there and the leash got caught on something he'd never get out. We went down the next street to ours and heard a dog barking. between the houses, we could see that his leash was caught on steps going down behind someone's house. But there was a fence I couldn't go over, so we drove around to the front of that house and walked into the back yard. I was with a neighbor. When we got there, DH was untangling him. He had been right behind us and he climbed over the fence. LOL What a ordeal! Hopefully he will get to know us better and not do that again. He is still very timid with us.

Oh, and while this was all happening with the dog, we had a guy at the house installing a new garage door. DH told him, sorry I have to leave you here but I have to go look for my dog. LOL When we got back he was almost finished.

I think he was in one of these houses where the neighbors call animal control and report the people. There were at least 2 mothers with big litters of puppies. They probably just let the dogs breed with one another. He peed outside again. We are not allowed to give him a bath for 2 weeks because he just got fixed. He isn't too smelly, but he was wet after his treck around the neighborhood. That tends to make them smell.

This was very early for us to be having 90s temps. It lasted a few days, now we're back to 60s and its going down to 40 tonight.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-13-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Closed Thread