Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 245/235/210

Height: 6'1"

Happy September to all,.
Days are still warm and nights cooler, looking forward to fall weather in DC area.
Can you have chili on IP diet, alternative phase 1?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #77  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good morning
We have folks from Denmark visiting this week, they did a family tree over the internet and decided to come to the USA and find all their relatives. This is something I'd be interested in doing when I have the time, HA! I never seem to find time, the days and weeks go by soooooooooooooo fast. Funny as we age the time goes faster than at a younger age. Any of you or your kids do a family tree?

K3...you got me on sepsis. I didn't have a clue what the word meant, had to look it up.
PHP Code:
n. - The presence of pus-forming bacteria or their toxins in the blood or tissues 
KarenMo...thanks for explaining about the Golden Girl's virus, I do have AVG. After updating it, the virus disappeared.

Today will be the last of the heat wave days, unreal weather we've had in Minnesota for the last two summers. We normally don't get that intense 95-100 degree weather.

We're going to start sanding down the outside of the house tomorrow, then apply some pale yellow paint to match the new garage siding. Bruce hates permanent siding but since we don't live in the garage he had permanent siding put on the garage. He says a house needs to breathe and was happy our little cottage had redwood siding on it. I looked at the garage siding when the carpenters were putting it up, looks like plastic with built in insulation, he said it had a 20 year life to it. That will work for us, 20 years is about our life expectancy, we won't care after that.

Mary...what's up with the weight gain, could it just be salt retention?

Bruce and I walked over to the YMCA 5 days last week. He doesn't take the classes, just does free weights and uses the machines while I have class. The classes are 45 minutes long, we use weights, elastic jump ropes and balls. Many exercises are sitting on a chair, easy! On Wednesday is chair yoga. I didn't think I could sit still long enough to do it but I can. I've been working on the tree pose all week, geeeeeeeez, try stand on one foot with your other foot up and resting on your thigh.
I counted the steps from our front door to the Y, (950)so round trip is 1900 steps, it's a good warm-up before we start exercising. I'm not sure we'll keep up this pace, it's better to do every other day.

I need to get a load of laundry out on the line, hope the mosquitos don't carry me off. We have that huge woods in our back yard that harbors them. The moma turkey and her two babies come to the feeder twice a day for a free buffet. We haven't seen the moma raccoon and her 5 babies for a couple weeks. A couple nights ago, Bruce saw a coyote sniffing around the feeder, he must have smelled a hot lunch.
See ya
Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #78  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GGs! Hope you are all having a good day! We went to the gym but only did the cardio except I did the hand bike for my shoulder. Stopped at Ace Hardware and picked up a couple little bins for my bathroom vanity. Found out I can still use one more...so tomorrow will pick one up if they still have them, there were only three or four left. I am very happy with this new organization and hope I can maintain it.

Bobbie, my weight gain is my eating plus some sodium gain too I think but mostly my eating. I just need to get back to how I was eating about ten days ago when I was losing. I've only gained 4# back so I've still got a chance to recover hopefully. The good news for today is my bs was good! My main concern is getting and keeping control of my bs.

I'm the same way as you with the family tree search. My nephew has done my family back to when they came the US, but I am trying to add to it and would love to even go back further if I could. But just can't seem to find the time. I'm also stalled on my transferring or family videos and organizing our hard copy pictures. So much I want to do, so little time.

Jac71 - I don't know anything about the IP diet, sorry.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #79  

H everyone healing up lots of loving care from my family. Still very sore and.moving slow. Hugs rosey
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi Rosey!! Glad to hear from you!! And glad to hear that you are healing up nicely!! Thanks for the update!!! Still sending good thoughts and prayers!!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #81  

My husband is such a "giving" person-----he gave me his cold!!! Wasn't that nice!!! NOT!! Sore throat, runny nose and achy all over!! Be back later..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #82  

Here you go!! Some good tips here!!

THINGS YOUR MOTHER SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU

1. Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

2. Store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil. It will stay fresh much longer and not mold!

3. Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating. Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.

4. Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef. It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.

5. To really make scrambled eggs or omelets rich add a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream, cream cheese, or heavy cream in and then beat them up.

6. For a cool brownie treat, make brownies as directed. Melt Andes mints in double broiler and pour over warm brownies. Let set for a wonderful minty frosting.

7. Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste of garlic.

8. Leftover snickers bars from Halloween make a delicious dessert. Simply chop them up with the food chopper. Peel, core and slice a few apples. Place them in a baking dish and sprinkle the chopped candy bars over the apples. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes!!! Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream. Yummm!

9. Reheat Pizza
Heat up leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking channel and it really works.

10. Easy Deviled Eggs
Put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag. Seal, mash till they are all broken up. Add remainder of ingredients, reseal, keep mashing it up mixing thoroughly, cut the tip of the baggy, squeeze mixture into egg. Just throw bag away when done easy clean up.

11. Expanding Frosting
When you buy a container of cake frosting from the store, whip it with your mixer for a few minutes. You can double it in size. You get to frost more cake/cupcakes with the same amount. You also eat less sugar and calories per serving.

12. Reheating refrigerated bread
To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.

13. Newspaper weeds away
Start putting in your plants, work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers, put layers around the plants overlapping as you go. Cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic they will not get through wet newspapers.

14. Broken Glass
Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can't see easily.

15. No More Mosquitoes
Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

16. Squirrel Away!
To keep squirrels from eating your plants, sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn't hurt the plant and the squirrels won't come near it.

17. Flexible vacuum
To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.

18. Reducing Static Cling
Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and ... guess what! ... static is gone.

19. Measuring Cups
Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out. (Or spray the measuring cup or spoon with Pam before using)

20. Foggy Windshield?
Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car When the windows fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!

21. Re-opening envelopes
If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Viola! It unseals easily.

22. Conditioner
Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It's also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn't like when you tried it in your hair.

23. Goodbye Fruit Flies
To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2' with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

24. Get Rid of Ants
Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it 'home,' can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

25. Dryer Filter
Even if you are very diligent about cleaning the lint filter in your dryer it still may be causing you a problem. If you use dryer sheets a waxy build up could be accumulating on the filter causing your dryer to over heat. The solution to this is to clean your filter with with a toothbrush and hot soapy water every 6 months.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Girls-

I've missed you all a lot. I was overwhelmed with life and dieting. DS is getting married on 9/20. The rehearsal dinner, my thing is 9/19 which is his birthday. There will be around 70 people there!

I think I fell off the map when I was trying to put together pictures for a DVD slide show for the rehearsal dinner. It was a lot of work. I asked her parents for about 50 pictures of her growing up. They gave me 112 so I had to pare those down. Scrounged for pictures of them together. Sort through DS's pictures. Got it all shipped off to professional. He just posted the rough cut on his site and we loved it. It was such a load off my mind

Also finding dress, shoes (have some but none are that comfortable.) Dance lessons, physical therapy for darn shoulder, and the parents. Also helped younger DS move from MD suburbs into D.C. proper.

So that's me in a nut shell. I hope all of you are well! I skimmed a few posts.

Gayle - hope your wrist is better, How's you DD and DGD?

Bobbie - beautiful kitchen!

Karen 3- I hate card cheaters!

Karen 31- sounds like things are pretty good for you.

Cajun - how are your boys?

Rosey - you had the surgery! Hope you are recovering well.

Ah, I have to go! Hugs to everyone! I missed you!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #84  

Height: 5'3"

Not much going on this morning. Hope you all have a good day!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy...stinking hot down here k3
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #86  

Hi again.

It's stinking hot here in Chicago too!

Karen 31 - loved your "things your mother never told you" post! I could use more.
Sorry you got DH's cold. Feel better.

I am 3 lbs away from my goal which is how much I weighed in my profile pic. It's been a struggle. I wald past a kiosk of chocolate in department store and almost moaned out loud. I gained 3 lbs last Saturday drank 2 bloody Maria's (tequila) and then 2 shots of tequila with my friend - it was her birthday. I had so much fun! So good to be with fun people again.

I'm reading posts and thought I'd respond in snippets, when I have a few moments. Otherwise, I'll never get them posted.

Last edited by deelee10; 09-10-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #87  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Rosey...I'm super mad at the Anchorage hospital when my package to you arrived on Wednesday. They returned it to me because Gale Croft was not known. If they had looked two days ahead, they would see you were scheduled for surgery. Idiots! That gal that re-scheduled your surgery and not tell you is at fault too. That's why I sent it early. Sorry, had to get that off my chest plus let you know not to look for the package, I have it.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #88  

Bobbi-- I would just send it to her house-- that way she will have something waiting for her when she gets home! That would be very nice.. Sorry they got all mixed up!!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #89  
Sassy

S/C/G: 220/188/150

Height: 5'2"

K31 -- I loved the Things your mother should have told you post, also. I hope I can remember to try some, then hope they work as well as they sound like they should.

Nothing much new here, but it has been a little cooler here the past couple of days -- guess you all got some of our Arizona heat.

I still haven't taken any pictures of my house, but everything is pretty well organized -- having company this week and feel ready for them. (I have had a lot of visitors from around here, but this will be my first out of town company.)

Last edited by Sassafras; 09-10-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #90  

Hi-
Been doing some reading of older posts.
Gayle – very sorry about your wrist pain. And think I must be misunderstanding about your job loss. I hope as I catch up I’ll see that it’s resolved.
Donna – very sorry about the loss of Sam Cat.
Lynn – congratulations on the weight loss!
Karen 3 – a few years ago, I said to afriend, “I;m just in the mood for a Nancy Drew book for grownups.” She told me about the Maisie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear. Have you heard of them? First one takes place in England during WW1 and to 1929. I read the 3 that were out. I hope she has another one out now. I laughed out loud when I read about your DH telling the woman he killed his kids at that age.
Time to go. Hugs to all!
Closed Thread