Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #436  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi everyone, I'm spending the afternoon paying bills and chilling out. Nothing exciting going on around here, DH got the whole garden weeded yesterday so I didn't even go outside except to pick raspberries. I've a load of clothes I just remembered in the washer, better get them out on the clothes line. Was going to do personals but maybe not today.
Freda...my morning glories just opened too, we had a cold spring and everything is 3-4 weeks behind. I can keep my hibiscus plant flowering quite a bit with a small dose of 'Miracle Grow' each time I water it.
Quote:
And my flowers are finally starting to bloom. I planted some morning glories and I saw the first blooms this morning. And my hibiscus are finally popping open
Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #437  

Height: 5'3"

Just read Bobbi's post and thought about my roses. I have three plants. Two plants have bloomed, they are gone now and no new buds yet. In the past they have always had lots. The third one is just growing and growing...and only recently has two tiny buds, it has not had any flowers at all yet. This plant usually grows larger than the other two but it also usually has many buds by now and lovely flowers. On this plant, many of the leaves are crumbled up and grayish...is this insects? The other two plants do not have this. The leaves on the two that bloomed look mostly healthy but there are some with black spots and insect holes. I spray them all for both insects and disease incl black spots, but seem to never get rido the black spots. In the fall we cut way down as far as we can go and still black spots. If we cut any further back there will be no plants! I also remove the leaves that have black spots almost daily. Any advice? This was a very wet, late spring. Do you think that might have caused this?

Last edited by maryea; 07-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #438  
Bobbi

Mary...my roses don't have this problem but I did have some bugs eating the leaves. I pick up some rose spray at the hardware store and that took care of the leave eating bugs.

Quote:
Bad Fungi: The Number One Rose Problem
Here it is folks. NUMERO UNO! More roses are decimated by these garden nemeses than any other cause.
Rose Informational Page

by Bob BauerBlack Spot
Fungus: Diplocarpon rosae Black Spot. This is the name that sends shivers down the spine of rose lovers who live in humid climates. Black Spot is a fungus that starts by growing in colonies on rose leaves. The result is the characteristic fuzzy edged rounded blackish or purplish spots on the rose leaf. The spots are about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in diameter. On the canes it appears as raised dark reddish or black blotches. Blackspot usually doesn't occur in early spring, but starts to show up in mid summer. The fungus then spreads across the leaf until it finally kills it. The leaf turns yellow and drops to the ground. A rose can quickly become completely defoliated by a bad attack of black spot. Whenever black spot is sighted in the garden it is very important to immediately remove and destroy any infected leaves, including those on the ground and remove them from the garden into the trash. Even if you have to remove the majority of the foliage, it will pay off to do so. The sooner you attack the problem the better off you will be. Spraying after you see symptoms has little effect. Any spraying for black spot must be preventative in nature.

Preventitive treatments for blackspot:
1. The least toxic spray for blackspot is baking soda. Combine 1 tablespoon baking soda and either 2 tablespoons horticultural oil or a few drops of dishwashing liquid detergent with 1 gallon of water. Mix as thoroughly as possible, and try to spray both sides of the leaves once a week. The liquid detergent helps the baking soda stick to the leaves. Reapply after a rainstorm. Baking soda changes the P.H. of the surface of the leaves, making a hostile environment for the fungus to grow.
2. Another treatment is sulfur dust, sulpher or lime sulpher used every 7-10 days.
3. As a last resort there are the more toxic chemical fungicides. They are often used once every week or two and are very effective, provided it is used as a preventative and is not used after the disease is present. As with all toxic chemicals, follow the label directions carefully. Be especially careful to spray properly in hot weather to avoid leaf burn. Spray the undersides of the leaves first.
4. Since a single fungicide may not completely wipe out all the fungi, using that fungicide over and over may actually cause fungus to build up a resistance to that fungicide. Alternating between two fungicides, such as Triforine (Funginex) and Daconil, is recommended to keep fungal resistance from occuring.
In general, fungicides generally can prevent blackspot and other fungal diseases, but do not work too well on an existing case of the affliction.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #439  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

My laptop fan has gone. I am new in USA. Back in India, they fix it and labor is cheap. I do not know what to do. I am in Louisville, KY.
Any suggestion
Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #440  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

hi....get a cool pad for your lap top.....OfficeMax or Stapes. About $20 k3
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #441  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Got a few minutes to try to catch up and do the personals.

Mary ~ hope you can resolve your rose problem. You are doing great with your new way of eating.

Rosey ~ sounds like those puppies are keeping you busy. Enjoy the visit with your relatives. That is neat to get them all together with your MIL.

Maire ~ I am always wishing I could be more like you in the exercise dept. I am in awe of your 4:30 am walks.

Rie ~ your vacation sounds great so far ~ you do great to keep up with those two little guys.

Donna ~ How did Granny/Mom’s tests go? I think I’m glad you decided against that teaching job ~ that sounded like a real tough job to me.

Zoe ~ hope you are hanging in there ok with your boot camp thing.

Karen FL ~ sorry you are still having pain. Hope you can find some kind of med that will help without making you feel bad.

Freda ~ glad you got some cooler weather. Sorry that you had not been feeling so good ~ and that the scale went up. You are awesome though to catch it while it is just a little gain instead of letting go further.

Koala-Lou ~ thanks for explaining your terminologies ~ I enjoying reading your posts and love the way you say things ~ it is fun to hear how someone in another part of the world describes things.

Lynn ~ hope your gallbladder problems are easing up and you knee is feeling better.

Mustang Karen ~ glad you had a good time with your family. If there are no calories in things you eat on Sundays ~ oh how I wish more of the days of the week were Sunday

Bobbi ~ you are a wealth of information and interesting things ~ thank you for always sharing things with us

Lyn ~ sorry you had a day of bad news ~ hope the days since have been better.

NC Nancy ~ hope you are feeling better ~ missing you here.

Sherry ~ glad you are having a nice visit with your granddaughter.

Tea ~ hoping for you that your plateau has ended. How is your son doing?

If I’ve missed anyone ~ I’m sorry ~ try to remember ~ but always feel like I am forgetting someone.

Take care
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #442  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's (again )

Day off is almost over ~ head back to work tomorrow.

I got out almost on time Monday night. Got to enjoy a visit over at Sara's ~ with Sara and the kids.

Today ~ I was supposed to go to a staff meeting at work ~ but ended up playing hooky ~ even if I missed today's meeting I will still have enough to meet the requirement. Instead ~ finished a little dress I was sewing for Maddie (the pic below) ~ then went to the pool with her and Grandpa. She sounded disappointed earlier when I said I couldn't go. Need a little "me" time sometimes.

So ~ it was a nice day.

Hope you all are doing well.

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maddie's princess dress.jpg (24.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by glynne; 07-26-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #443  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Hi all Well I am on week 7 of my plateau - maybe we should start a betting pool as to when I will start losing weight again! Everyone can put in half a million dollars and then the winner will be filthy rich...will you take a cheque???
Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #444  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All!

Just a quick note before I jump in the shower. After our train adventures we came back to the hotel and spent the evening in the pool. I don't swim very well but we got a couple of swim noodles so I am having a good time using the pool.

Today we are headed out to a little kids fishing camp and then in search of an "all you can eat crab and prime rib buffet" in Deadwood. I will splurge for those items. Besides, no carbs, right?

I am really enjoying things. A little stressed due to ds's sometimes less than charitable attitude toward his nephew. He suffers from that delusion/disease of somewhat new and dedicated parents that his child is an angel and others are lacking. Oh, well, don't take me seriously, just feeling a little stressed as both mom and grandma.......

Hitting the showers now, Sorry no time for personals.... BBL

Rie
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #445  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneri View Post
My laptop fan has gone. I am new in USA. Back in India, they fix it and labor is cheap. I do not know what to do. I am in Louisville, KY.
Any suggestion
Can you turn it on? If so, make sure you have some type of virus scan program, ad-ware block.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #446  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I am checking in....slow changes....slow results. But, I am hanging in there! I am doing better at knocking out the Mountain Dew to 1x day or none. If no, Mountain Dew...then it something for my headaches.

I grabbed water and something for my headache this morning instead of a Mountain Dew.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #447  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Just a quick check-in, as I have back-to-back meetings all day today. STILL OP, and have become very fixated on the Wendie plan as opposed to just doing very low calories every single day. Having had to deal with a lower than I would've liked loss the first week out (4 lbs, give or take 1) and having received lots of helpful feedback from my GG's about it, I have decided that the up & down thing works best for me, and keeps my metabolism puffing along as optimally as possible. I would have gone with the mini-meals every 3 hours or so, but as I said, I'm not really a mini kind of gal, so better to go the route that's worked in the past rather than start something new like that in the rather short timeframe I'm currently dealing with. Sure wish I'd gotten a headstart on this, but I just wasn't in the right place mentally for some reason. I'll work with wherever I am 4 1/2 weeks from now, and then just continue on after the wedding until I get where I really want to be.
Gayle, that little dgd of yours is absolutely adorable!
Sunshine in the low 80's and low humidity here today for the first time in I can't recall how long. Really nice in comparison to the awful heat and humidity that we had at the end of last week and into the weekend. I'm going to stop at the lake for an hour after work and soak up a little long overdue sunshine (have my chair & book in the car).
Have a nice day, y'all...
Z
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #448  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey Y’all,
Thought I’d better check in & let everyone know I’m still around. Emotionally, I’m feeling much better. I think my “swing therapy”, & remembering to take my St. John’s Wort (I somehow forgot to take it on Sat. & Sun.) has helped. But, this morning, right after eating breakfast, I started feeling really yucky - headache, upset stomach, freezing & burning up at the same time - I think I caught a “bug”! So, I took 2 ibuprofen & headed back to bed, & curled up in my favorite fleece blanket with both the ceiling fan & the floor fan blowing on me, full blast. I’m feeling a little better at the moment, so I thought I’d get up & check on you guys while I felt up to it.

Just got through reading all the posts I’d missed. Three pages! It’s taken me over an hour, & I’m starting to feel lousy again, so I’m going to climb back in bed. Sorry I can’t do personals, but I’m so far behind I’d never be able to catch up anyway! I hope to get back here tomorrow. I’m determined this will only be a 24 hour “bug”!!!
NCNancy
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #449  
Bobbi

Nothing exciting here unless watching a squirrel build a winter nest is exciting...geeeez what a boring life I lead. Yesterday I made a no cook cheese cake, not nearly as good as the baked kind. The recipe said not to use fat free cream cheese but I did anyway, still turned out good. We have so many raspberries right now and topping the cheesecake with fresh raspberries and fat free cool whip made a great dessert.
Gylnne...I didn't know you were a talented seamstress, you make your own clothes too?
Quote:
Instead ~ finished a little dress I was sewing for Maddie

Rie...a train adventure, Where did you go? Would you believe I've never been on a train in my life? I've always wanted to go on one of those scenic day trips where they wine and dine you while looking at spectacular landscapes.

Wannabe...are you drinking sugar free Mountain Dew? I know caffeine withdrawals aren't fun. Are you going 'cold turkey'?
Quote:
I grabbed water and something for my headache this morning instead of a Mountain Dew

Zoe...you said a mouthful with that statement. I've experienced this myself, I have to be in the right place mentally to stick to a diet plan. Half hearted plans do not work. Total commitment or don't bother, sound like anyone else?
Quote:
Sure wish I'd gotten a headstart on this, but I just wasn't in the right place mentally for some reason.

Nancy...I wish there was something we could do to help, how about a group hug:
Teagranny, if it's any comfort to you........everyone hits those darn plateau. 7 weeks is a long time. I think I went for 3 weeks once and that was bad, can't remember what knocked me off. Why don't you google it and see what the experts suggest. Maybe eating a couple of days with more calories, then switch back to lower calories.

Quote:

Hi all Well I am on week 7 of my plateau - maybe we should start a betting pool as to when I will start losing weight again! Everyone can put in half a million dollars and then the winner will be filthy rich...will you take a cheque???
Rosey...yup, welcome to your world. I'm thinking it might help you with his limited menu, maybe not having tempting foods around?
Quote:
my dh now has an aptm to see an internest in anch next friday. hope we get some answers altho he seems a little better on this fat free no dairy diet and the new meds. he thinks it awful what he gets to eat now. hes never had to be restricted. all i can say is welcome to my world, and i understand hoping you all have an awsome day ((hugs)) rosey

Hi everyone I missed, will back track tomorrow since I don't have to run into town for anything. Right now I'm freezing to death, gonna go outside and warm up. (DH keeps the air on 74 degrees, too cold for me).
Later Gators

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-27-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #450  

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone,

I got a cleaning "bug" this morning and i've been doing those little choirs that get missed. Like washing the lampshades and washing the blinds. Cleaned all the floors and washed some windows. If it wasn't for these burst of energy I would end up with a very messy house. NO, I take that back. I can't stand messy. i guess lots of things would just be a little dusty. I haven't been sleeping this week. I get tired and go to bed and end up getting back up all through the night. Very exhausting.

Bobbi, we do the miracle grow every time we water too. And you're right, things are just so late this year. they got off to such a late start due to all the rain we got in the spring.

Mary, Roses are lovely but they do require a lot of care. I used to have lots but have really scaled back because i'm not willing to put that kind of time and effort into them any more. And yes, probably the wet spring caused the black spot. Seems like when it starts it almost impossible to stop. You have to get out there after each rain and re-spray them.

Gayle, Maddie looks beautiful in her new dress. I didnt' know you sewed. A girl with many talents!

Tea, it's very depressing when you do everything right and the scale just won't cooperate! All I can say is, we've all been there. Hang in!

Rie, You are making some wonderful memories for the kids.

Wannabeloser, Mountain Due is my kids caffene of choice too. I also get headaches if I don't have coffee. Just taper off slowly. Can you drink diet MD? It still has the caffene, just not the calories.

Z, You are so right! You head must be into it before you start a diet. When you get to the right place it's so much easier. Enjoy your evening in the sun.

Nancy, I hope you feel better. Yes, it's a 24 hour virus!

Bobbi, I always keep the AC at 75. I would probably freeze you out, but any warmer than that and I would be sweating!

Lynn, How are you feeling? I hope everything is OK

Rosie, I hope DH is doing well. You have your hands full with 2 baby puppies, you don't need a hubby to baby too. Aren't all men babies when they get sick?

Freda
Closed Thread