Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #376  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!

I am sure glad to have the 3fc site back. It was a little like having a club house that I go to every day. Then, one day, I do all my chores like a good girl, go to the club, and the door is LOCKED! LOL Gladd that we were on FB a while last night. It helped.

Today is a busy day. I did my financial report early this morning so I am pretty much done with work for the day. But, plenty of personal work to do. My plan is to run all my errands, get all my chores done, today. Then tomorrow I can do the laundry, pack and relax. I leave Sunday morning. I got my car serviced yesterday and got a phone call from my friend (her shop) who informed me that she wouldn't allow me to drive anymore on those tires. I don't understand, they are only 11 years old and 100,000 miles old. When I told her that, she called me a cheapskate and laughed. She gave me a really good deal. NOW, I'm gonna be mad if I get a flat!

I forgot to tell you guys this: as you know, my son cooks for me as part of his responsiblities in the house. Wed he was gone and I cooked for myself. When he came home, he said, "how did you do cooking for yourself?" LOL like I had forgotten how or would eat the wrong thing. The really funny thing is that he had thawed a piece of fish, put out a potato wrapped for baking, and suggested veggies. Too funny. If he finds someone, I think he is gonna be a really good husband.....

Yesterday I had a long chat with my best friend. We have been friends for 20 years now, since we met in grad school. We are so different. She is the quintessential suburban housewife who loves various crafts and stuff at home. She would NEVER consider camping or fishing. I am ..... NOT. From day one, we have been so incredibly different. But, we are sisters. She knows EXACTLY who I am and it is so very comfortable. She has always been in Denver and I have always lived here. Maybe we wouldn't be that close if we had to deal with our differences every day. IDK. Anyway, it was lovely. BTW, I told her about my friends here and she was amazed and proud of me. She said, "you joined a group???" Very cool

I am going to be back later for personals but just a couple things....

Donna, glad Granny mom's appt went well. I really hope that I am a nice little old lady that my kids will care for. If not, I hope that they will find it in their hearts to care for me anyway.... Bless you. I love the very idea of Sam Cat.

Zoe, the *((^***^%$$ Scale! Mary too! IDK, the only way I can deal with this is to not get on the darn thing very often. What would happen if you just didn't weigh for a while? I know your goal is 20 pounds and I totally support that. But, remember, if you stroll onto the dance floor in a beautiful dress with your hair done and makeup perfect, you will not be thinking, "d*&mm*t, I only lost 10 pounds!" You are going to be thinking about how much you love your kids.... And if you are aware, you will hear the wispers of all the women who watch you an wish that they had your style, your flair, and your presence - along with your beautiful children. And I will join Marie in encouraging you to try and fit in a little excercise. It will lift your mood and make you feel powerful. Because I hate the mall, my recommendation is light weight lifting while watching your favorite tv show. I started out using soup cans as hand weights.

Lynn, I hope your acid reflux gets better. I have had multiple tests and they say my heart is good but it is scary, isn't it? I think the celbrex can cause stomach problems - I am pretty sure that it is an ANSAID. Take care. BTW, I don't know what you take but my mom had a real difference when they switched her from prilosec to nexium. Expensive, but worth it.

OK, off to clean the car before it gets unbearably hot. Later!
Rie
Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #377  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all.....Am graduating quickly to phase11. Yesterday the Doc d/c the coumadin and PT is finished. Monday will be last home health nurse visit. I called and cancelled the cardiologist. Loved when she asked if I wanted to reschedule and I said no I have chosen another cardiologist. Can you see me smiling....That glow in the southern sky is my smile.

My kids left yesterday and promised to check in asap. Turns out the plane DS/DGD over S Georgia windshield cracked and they had emg landing in Jacksonville, Fl. He sent me a note this am from a hotel at Newark NJ airport???? Haven't hear from Older DGD.....gessssssssssssssh.

I worry about you all eating below 1000cal. Often when you do that your body thinks you are in straving mode and stops weight lost to save it's self. Lots of articles about that. I'll try and post a few.

I had been on a blogg with the orginal South Beach dieters and it disappeared. I was homeless and alone with no buddies and searching for support. Just a sad awful wreck and found GG by accident and with help swam back up on the beach. Eating health really has helped me get better after this mess.

Pool time.....be back later to do personals....hugs, k3
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #378  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
Ok, having the computer in this position is not working for me! First, my left arm kept going to sleep. Moved things around, & now my shoulders are aching! But, I’m determined to make this work! So, I’m anticipating a lot of tweaking (& muttering & cussing). My SO gets off early today, so I might enlist his help (more cussing!). With all this going on, I might not be able to get back here today (I’m probably going to have to disconnect everything from the computer, AGAIN!). So, I thought I’d check in here first.

Gayle, sounds like a super busy day ahead for you. And I’m sure Maddie was right about you missing her! Thanks for the support on fixing my house the way I like. I intend to!

Lynn, so sorry about your throat/chest problems. Really good to know it’s not your heart. Hope you find the cause so you can “fix it”. It’s way too hot here too - supposed to be high 90’s again! That’s why we’ll be working inside with all the ACs running full blast.

Zoe, we don’t run the AC in our bedroom at night either. And it’s just bearable with the ceiling fan, & another fan blowing directly on me. Just walking the few feet to the bathroom, I’m immediately drenched in sweat. Hate this humidity! And you just hang in there & ignore that danged old scale. We know how they are!!! You know you’re doing great & will soon be seeing the fantastic results! Go Zoe! Attagirl!

Hi Koala. I agree with you, this is a wonderful group, & I’m glad I found it, & that you did too! Good for you on hanging in there at “boot camp”. Attagirl Koala! By the way, what’s a TimTam? And yes, DSD will be leaving to go back to school in 16 days (I just counted). Yay! I can’t wait!

Rie, sounds like you're going to be having a busy day too. Isn’t it nice that you have friends looking out for your safety?! I hope you have a great trip with your DGS. Will you be checking in while you're gone? Have fun!

KarenFL, you're really sounding lots better. I think that visit with your DS & DGD helped! Glad you're happier! Is it your older DGD you were talking about on FB?

Well, I better get started on my “tweaking”, & SO will be home any minute now. In case I don’t get back - Have A GREAT Weekend Everyone!
NCNancy
Old 07-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #379  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All…
Marie – your early morning temps sound LOVELY! As to Granny/Mom’s decision, I think she’s leaning toward the surgery. Whatever she decides, I’ll 100% support. We’ve had some very honest conversations about death, dying, and living with a terrible situation (stroke). Whatever she decides…

Mary – what a simple fix for your sore arch!

Geez, I’m not sure I remember how I came to 3FC. I know I was in the process of checking out any “fast action” diet available and was looking at the “Mayo Clinic Diet” and found my way here through researching that. I’d never used a post/thread/whatever this is called and had some angst and trauma at first. I kept coming back to what I’d last posted, thinking there would be a response, which there never was. I thought I was being totally ignored by this group (can you even IMAGINE such a thing????) until I figured the whole thing out!

Nancy – WHEN does DSD leave?????????????? How old did you say she is? Can you look forward to her “visits” every summer for the next many years? She’s aging us all!

Lynn – feel better!

PT/Zoe – I have an idea for a fun activity when we all meet at our annual GoldenGirlsGathering: a huge bonfire to destroy all those damn dreaded scales!! You slim things can dance around nekkid (I’ll be fully covered in a caftan), and we can shriek with glee and madness as we toss them into the fire (maybe some computers, too)! Are you on some sort of formal program, PT, or is this boot camp of your own concoction?

KoalaLou – I so much enjoyed your kitty stories! I don’t feel quite so odd now about SamCat’s needs and requirements… and that I comply!! I KNOW that he calls all his little furry friends and that they laugh and chortle at their moms and what they can make us do for them! I used to have a friend who had a wee chichuahua female. About a month after the dog was spayed, Linda called and asked how long she had to carry the dog around? That little snot would sit at the top of the stairs, whine to be carried down, and then run around like a crazy demon when let outside!

Rie – what lovely words of wisdom for Zoe! You’re a very nice person, I think!!

KarenFL – so glad you’re doing better. Your posts are starting to sound more like you every day, and your sense of humor is intact. I’m also glad your PCP is working with you instead of against you!

Yesterday was just a waste. I cannot function in this heat. I turn into a total slug, a lethargic bag of bones. I. Hate. Summer!

Bobbi – whither art thou?

Everyone, have a lovely Friday!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #380  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Thought that I would come here real quick and see what is happening. I'm waiting for my little sister (she is 10 years younger than me) in fact all 4 of us kids are about 5 years apart---Dad was a traveling salesman!!! REALLY!!! Anyway, she is coming over and we are going to lunch then plan on swimming this afternoon. Not sure where we are going for lunch but I know there will be lots of calories no matter where! But we haven't had any time together with just the two of us in --- well, I can't remember!! So this should be a fun afternoon.

I'll be back later....
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #381  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Sorry...M-W-F I have chiropractor/massages/errands lined up, that takes up most of the mornings. With all the chats about Blueberries, I had to take some of my own advice and plant some of them. I purchased 6 Blueberry bushes that ripen mid summer. What a job, blueberries likes acid soil so I had to mix in manure and some expensive powder to get the acid level right. DH is watering everything outside today, another 100+ day. Minneapolis hit a record a couple of days ago, 134 with heat index. But you'll never hear me complain about the heat, I love it. DH keeps the house too cold, I put a sweat shirt on most of the time. I need to get out and dead head a bunch of plants and tie up some climbing roses.
One of these days I'll catch up with all the post...but not today.

Quote:
Bobbi – whither art thou?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #382  

Morning everyone.. yesterday was amzing,full of company and alot of laughs in between chasing puppies around.I had a visit from the best nurse that took care of me when i was in the hosp 3yrs ago.her and her husband where here dipnet fishing and wanted to see how i was doing.when have u ever known a nurse to do that.she was amazing and championed my progress(one of my angels) then grs and sil came to gather their fish and collect the garage sale contirbutions,as iwas putting out lunch for them my 2 bil came by so they stayed for lunch too! sandwhiches,macaroni salad,chips and rocky road brownies without the rocky(didnt have any walnuts) after every one left we had to change into dress clothes and go to a funeral. today im being a vegetable the suns out and a cool breeze blowing. Sadie has decided she loves our furniture,so im trying to train her not to and when shes up on furniture she can reach end tables and everythings fair game. shes so big i forget shes only 9 weeks old. Gizmo is so cute he gets away with lots,i spoil him terribly as i do daisey. she is really tolerant of both puppies and rips and tears around playing with them.when shes had enuff she jumps on the back of my chair for a nap. I found 3fc"s researching diets, and it popped up,with my weird sence of humor i just had to see what it was about and the rest is history Hoping you all have a wonderful day,i plan on reading abook on my deck and enjoying the sun(supper's in the crock pot easy peasy ) rosey
Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #383  

It's a beautiful morning in the great NW!! My dh is esp thrilled that the sun is shining so nicely. He has spent the last couple days trimming the large shrubs that separate us from our back neighbors. They had grown very large so he had this HUGE pile of branches which he is now chipping up. He borrowed a wood chipper from a friend. He started the chipping yesterday and it'll probably take him until tomorrow evening I'd say, maybe longer. His back is bothering him and he just came in for Tylenol. He has near osteoporosis in his back and I keep telling him to be more careful and that those shrubs really do not have to be trimmed or we can hire someone but he won't listen. He says, it's ok, it's only when I bend over...well, duh! All it takes is a fracture..and life won't be the same.

It's so hard to know what to do. Sometimes I think we should just go ahead and move to a small house or condo with a small yard where he won't have so much yard work but then other times I think...he enjoys it and it keeps him active. Every age has it's challenges and difficult decisions to make, doesn't it? I suppose we will have to move at some point, but do we wait or do it now when we are not quite ready.. We love our home and we let it get so run down for years as we raised kids and later traveled. We are just finally beginning to get it fixed up a bit.

I'm glad we all found our way to 3FC however it happened. This is a great group and I enjoy chatting with you all each day!

Nancy - Hope you get your computer in a position that works for you. I do like the idea of looking out a window since so much of our lives are spent at the old 'puter. I have a window to my right, but my desk faces a wall too. However it is a large desk with top shelves and I can't move it. Yes, Nancy that is what my weight does too. If I keep overeating though it will keeping going up..I gain weight very fast...if I get back on track today I think it will likely still be up a bit from last week or the same. If I only have one over eating day it would be ok, but this week I've had three!

Karen3 - Don't worry about me eating consistently below 1000. I'm aware of the articles about it but I always overeat now and then. My dh brought home KFC yesterday!! He'd been seeing those commercials with the special deal which included chocolate chip cake. Of course he ate one piece but yours truly ate way too much of it. So that's three days this week now I've messed up. So far I'm good today but don't think there will be any loss this week...more likely a gain.

Rie - How nice that your son is so supportive and helpful! Sounds like you don't have to worry about him being there for you in your old age. However, dil's CAN cause some problems sometimes, I warn you. Hopefully you will get a good one though.

Lynn - I think we must be separated at birth sisters, we have so many similar issues! With me I have this drawing feeling in my throat and and at times it goes up in my ears where it is more like mild pain/discomfort. Both can get very uncomfortable if I don't take Prilosec OTC. Even when I take it I feel it but not as much. For some reason I notice it more when I eat less...maybe that's my imagination. At times I've tried going without the Prilosec but the discomfort gets worse. Doc says it is r/t my hernia. I've had my throat and ears test by ENT and they are fine, but my swallowing is a little sluggish. This is my second very large hernia. It seems to be genetic or familial as my dad had a large one when he died, and my sister is like me with her second one.

This morning I was curious how much it would cost to get more life insurance on dh. LOL the cheapest quote (depending on an exam) would cost more than $400/mo!! I said forget it, I'll get along on what we have.

Last edited by maryea; 07-22-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #384  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I just spoke with the gastroenterologist. She thinks I might have a gallbladder stones problem. I need to go for an ultrasound.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 100+ here. I am supposed to go training (8 miles) at a VERY hilly state park. I just wrote the LLS folks and told them that if the weather is as hot as predicted, I will be doing my 8 miles at the gym.

Lynn
Old 07-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #385  

Hello All,

Just a quick post to share. For lunch, I had turkey rolls: 2 slices shaved smoked turkey, one slice vlassic kosher dill stacker, 1/2 oz cream cheese. Roll up and enjoy. I ate two of them with some greek yogurt and a green salad and I couldn't finish. Less than 20 carbs and not a lot of calories. It reminded me of an appetizer that my mom used to make but this is a lot healthier. It could work as one of the mini-meal folks' snacks, tool

Later.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #386  

Hi everyone.Rie i make those all the time but use a string cheese cut down the center and wrap in the turkey lunch meat and grill in a teflon pan.sorta like a grilled cheese without bread! love it! rosey
Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #387  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi All - Just a quick pop in............DGD is still here so getting at the 'puter isn't that convenient. I do get a chance to check all the posts tho' when I get on. I don't care - love having her here! Anyway I'm holding my own weight wise & hope to maintain until the summer is over. I have more company coming in August too. Did I say summer? We are still waiting for spring! We are having a lousy summer so far (weatherwise). Hope to get some in Aug & boy we better have a good Indian summer! Anyway TTYL. BFN
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #388  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Nancy, I moved south from Duluth, MN and thought much more south and desert was a good choice for warmth. But the winters are mild and this year is just plain silly. Average temp has been 20 degrees (at least) below normal. Although I’m starting to think those of you with the hot humid stuff sound more miserable. As my DH pointed out, we can put on more clothes.

I totally agree with Gayle – Nancy your DSD needs to butt out and just leave already. It is your house.

Lynn, I’m sorry you’re having throat/chest pain. Just a thought, I get throat/high upper chest pain when I have consumed a food I’m allergic to. Just a thought. Could it be a food?

Zoe, your weather is Awful Hot and you’re surprised you gained 1.8 pounds??? Everyone retains water in the heat. Kick the evil box to the curb. And my curiosity has the best of me – did you walk at the mall?
Koala, “hot enough to fry eggs on the car bonnet!!” and “Australianism! I've tried to be very careful about what I write as I don't want to cause an international incident” – Please don’t be careful!!! I love “hearing” your accent. I grin whenever there’s a cool saying. See??? More fun – “My previous boy cat, BoBo, was also a big girl's blouse.” What is a big girl's blouse?

KarenFL, I’m with you on the concern of the less than 1000 calories. I did that once (20 years ago) and KILLED my metabolism. It never came back. I do know that for some people that isn’t a problem. I loved the glow in my Southeastern sky as you cancelled your appointment. Enjoy the pool! BTW, my next question is based on when I was totally new to the group. Was it you that had gone bike riding in sandals? I think about that post often as I ride my bike in my birk sandals – but my bike is on the fluid trainer stand. But I remember the accident post.

LOL Donna on Nancy’s DSD aging us all. The young lady needs to get her own life and leave our Nancy alone. And the morning temp was not lovely. It’s cool you and your granny/mom have had frank discussions about the choices. I did wonder (as I thought about my reply later yesterday) if the anesthesia might be a problem and be a considering factor. Since you’re not thrilled with your weather, come visit me.

Mustang-K, I hope you had a great visit with your little sis.

Bobbi, just where did you find an empty spot in your lush garden yard for blueberry plants???

Rosey, hope your book on the deck was excellent and relaxing.

Mary, I’m relieved you have “mess ups” occasionally through the week. I won’t worry about you now. I’ll focus on Zoe.

Hi to anyone I missed. I’m glad it is weekend. Really glad. I swear even the doggies know my TGIF chant.

Marie
Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #389  

Hello friends!

I had a busy day today but I am way ahead of schedule for my vacation preparations. Totally not me! I am relaxing and watching "A league of their own", the movie. I love it.

Tomorrow I just have to do a little laundry and pack, and away I go! Yes Nancy, the hotel has wifi so I hope I am able to access it. I am taking my laptop.

Tonight, my mom called and wanted us to come over so she could talk to us. It turns out that she got a small (less than $2000) inheritance from her great aunt. Mom decided to share with us and gave me, my boys and dil each $200. She was so tickled with herself. She is so sweet!

I got some good news today. 2 years ago, I won the first womens tournament held at Rails in Sheridan Wy. It is beautiful wool and leather (like a letterman) jacket with elaborate embroidery on the back that says "Battle in the Big Horns". You can't buy them only win them. So I talked to the owner today and he said that if I turn in my old jacket, I can buy one that fits me. I am really happy.

Marie, I saw a quote today that made me think of you: "petting a dog is a lifelong occupation" lol

Sherry, glad that you are enjoying the little bit of summer that we have.

Rosey, that sounds wonderful, I will try the rolls with the string cheese. As far as I am concerned, melted cheese is a food group - and one that I have been missing lately. Did everyone get lots of fish. Salmon? I love the idea of "dipnet"

Lynn, I hope you don't have gall stones. Good thinking on the training tomorrow.

Mary, it sounds to me like your dh likes the yard stuff. I hope he is careful.

Bobbi are your treatments still helping? I hope so.

Karen31, nice talking to you tonight. "traveling salesman" lol

Donna, I will be a slumbering heat traumatized slug with you. My air conditioning runs so much that it costs me more to cool my house in summer than it does to heat it in winter - and I live in Montana

Nancy, Keep on working with arranging things. You will find a spot yet. And don't listen to the snot box

Karen3, so glad to hear of your progress. You sound more like yourself all the time. Glad everyone is ok with the plane drama. Scary.

Koala, you keep up the Australianisms ! They are wonderful and so entertaining. Do we sound odd to you?

Zoe, I am leaving Sunday morning.

Be back in the morning.

Rie.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #390  

Hi everyone.wanted to explain dipnetting. the salmon run on high tide up the kenai river. you can subsistance fish with a license. so u put on hip waders. and stand in as deep of water as u personally can tolerate along the mouth of the river and beach and you have this huge dip net on a long pole and put it in the water and hopefully scoop up a fish. when they are really running my dh says you can feel them hitting your legs. there are so many people from all over the state and few areas that u can do this we call it combat fishing,folks are nuts to catch them.u are allowed 6 aday per person.my sil and grson where here for 3 days and took home 36 fish. we can them, smoke them and freeze them. we get a couple every year but honestly im not crazy about salmon. i'd rather have halibutt rosey
Closed Thread