Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #481  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I picked up two mystery books a couple of days ago, 1 of Faye Kellerman and one of Jonathan Kellerman. Usually I can tell by the cover of a book if I'd read it before. I started to read Faye's book and hated it. 'Straight into Darkness'. It takes place on 1920s Munich, war-wounded city, much about Adoph Hitler, blah, blah, blah. After reading the first 1/3 of the book, I skipped to the last 3 chapters to see who done it. She has a great style of writing, I just didn't appreciate the subject. So I started reading Jonathan's book, (The Web) and it sounded too familiar. Yup, I'd already read it. After making coffee in the morning, I go back to bed and read for at least an hour or I go outside and read for an hour before I shower. Today I'm all out of sorts because I had nothing to read. Funny, missing that "Me Time" just ruined my day. I'm off to massage and library.
Later Gator
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #482  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All…

PT/Zoe – wasn’t there a character in, maybe?, Al Capp’s Daisy Mae cartoon named Joe something-or-other, who carried a black cloud over his head? Maybe you’re the female counterpart, attracting those storm clouds!!

Bobbi – yes, when the heat gets to me, I get very nauseous, turn bright red, and have trouble breathing; I pour sweat and get shaky. I drink lots of water in the summer (well, all year), but the only thing that helps this is a cool shower and a nap, if I can. It takes hours to cool down. Your Charlie looks pretty happy!

Rie – I think you’ve done really well! It’s hard (nay, impossible??) to be that close around one’s children and their spouses for the length of time you’ve done this and NOT have a few moments of “why did I have kids???” It’s not a matter of disliking them; it’s a matter that you need a few minutes to be able to breathe by yourself! When are you coming home?

Rosey – where are you holding the bbq on Sunday? Will your MIL come from the nursing home to your house for the festivities or are you holding it at her nursing home? I hope everyone enjoys… remember, it meets all the criteria for NO CALORIES! Do Gizmo and SadieMae go crazy when there’s company? I’m sure Daisy is very elegant and mature about it all.

Lynn – yesterday must have exhausted you! Too bad the tests couldn’t have been at the same place! I hope you get good results! Did you ever get your a/c fixed? And how about the water damage? How did that get resolved?

MKaren – I like that you’ve put your baby picture on as your avatar, too. Weren’t we all just totally TOO CUTE? I don’t think there was a CabbagePatch Kid in the bunch!

Lyn – how are you doing, girlie? You’ve been quiet lately.

Nancy – glad you’re feeling better!

Marie – glad your poochies are situated. When do you leave on your B’day Bash?

Oh, Gayle – I hope the new owners are good owners! I would be wonderful if your work place became a tolerable one again. My fingers are crossed. What’s the timeline on this?

There are still Mystery Pictures for KarenFL, Bobbi, Lynn, and Koala upcoming. Stay tuned.

I’m trying not to think about the job. When there’s a choice between me and a 30-year old, I don’t come out well in the job search. I’m hoping. It would really, really, really, really, really make a difference! Onward and upward, yes?

Picking up Aunty Ann to take her to Granny/Mom’s. Aunty Ann had her 96th b’day on Tuesday, so we’re having corned beef and cabbage (and lemon angel food cake!) to celebrate. Tomorrow is a free day, I think, and Sunday is a dinner playhouse matinee, which I’m eagerly anticipating! Way too much activity and socialization this week. It definitely cuts into my LethargicSlug time!

Everyone, have a lovely!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #483  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good morning everyone! I forgot that I weighed and didn't check in here with it-- not very spectacular though--- only down .4 to 164.7 so I don't even get to move my ticker!

Zoe, I was in the pool the other day and a bunch of black clouds came over---I started to get out and then thought, "NO! what am I going to do get wet?"!! Of course at the first sign of lightening I wouldn't have even needed the ladder to get out!!

Bobbi, I usually like the heat but this being in the 100's for so many days in a row is just about too much even for me! Right now it is 84 and we have a "cold front" coming--only supposed to get to 96 to 98 for the next few days! Pretty bad when the 90's sound good!!

Rie, I'm with Donna-- I loved my kids and my grandkids but not as a steady dose. I think it is so nice to be able to have them, spoil them, and then let the parents come back! Kudos to you!!

Rosey, you always sound so upbeat! I hope you have a Wonderful time with family and friend this Sunday! Looking forward to seeing pictures! Love you baby pics on FB!!!

Lynn, running to different appointments just wears me out! I know when I was taking my Aunt I thought how does she do this? I think it is the
Hurry up and wait" that gets us! I hope your AC is fixed-- my goodness I don't think fans would cut it for me this year.

Donna-- I love seeing the baby pics too. I changed my avatar to prove to myself that I was able to touch my toes at one time and I can do it again!!! LOL!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the job.

Gayle, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. Hopefully the new owners will be a little more "people concerned and a little less business concerned" Keep us updated on that too. Hope you do get to find some of your baby pics when you go see your parents in Sept!

My younger sister took all the slides of pictures that my parents had taken through the years and put them all on a 6 hours video cassette with music behind them! She gave a copy to each of us kids and even now I will go back and spend time looking at them! My older brother she had the theme to the "Lion King" behind his photos, Mine was different music by "Reba McEntire", My younger brother she had the theme to the "Pink Panther", She had music from "Whitney Houston" on hers, the pictures of Friends and Family she had misc Country music and then all of us together she had misc. Elvis! She did this back in 1995 and set it up in a bedroom using the slide projector with a back drop, her stereo and the VHS recorder! It took her several days--and a WHOLE LOT OF LOVE!!! I'm just a nut for photos I guess 'cause I can get lost in them for hours!!

Koala--I love hearing from you. I think it would be so neat to come and visit Austraila some day. I used to watch the Crocodile Hunter with Steve Irwin all the time. I set and watched the funeral and cried like a baby when he died.. Silly I know! And his daughter Bindi was always so cute on the show. Have seen her a few times since then but my goodness I still miss him!!

Well, guess I'd better get going. I've got stuff I need to get done today. Enjoyed my swim yesterday with my cousin-- can you believe it----ME, I didn't get any pictures!!

Hello to everyone that I missed and it was intentional...just ran out of time..

Have a great day!!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #484  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

What a night! It started raining some time during the night, woke me up around 3 with all the lightening coming throught the window and the booming thunder that sounded like it was right outside! Benny Dog came to get me, to protect me from the noise, i'm sure. Poor thing, he was shaking so badly. I had to get up and hold him untill he calmed down (OK, I know he's spoiled). This morning is cooler, and we really did need the rain.

Karen, Happy Birthday. I hope it was a great one! Good to hear that you are feeling better.

Donna, You know I have my fingers crossed for you. And if that person that is in charge of hiring is smart, she will choose you! Why some people disreguard all the knowledge and experience we have is beyond me. Not to mention the better work ethics and dedication! Younger people just do not have that. When will the work force open their eyes and see that?

Marie, I'm glad you got everything together for your trip. Now that you don't have to worry about your "babies" you can have a good time.

Gayle, I hope that the sale works out well for everyone.

Mary, I know you had a good time visiting son and the grands. Where are you thinking about wintering?

Val, You were offering that bite of brownie to me, right? I tried to take it but the darn screen got in the way. I know you're having fun with the kiddies. It's always hard to balance relationships, even when we love them to pieces. it all works out. Sometimes just a good old fashioned talking to helps!

Nancy, You should cahnge your name, It's no longer yoyo. You are doing so well with your maintenance. I'm glad it turned out to be only a 24 hour virus and you're feeling better.

Bobbi, my clamatis vine is already finished blooming. I know they make the ones that bloom several times a year. I'm going to pull mine up this spring and get one of those. I really haven't found any in the local stores but I saw them on QVC and i'm sure the catalogs have them.

Lyn, You have turned into an exercise crazy lady!!!! Wow! Good for you. Since I don't swim I admire anyone who can. I really should take lessions. Think it's to late to learn and old dog new tricks?

Lynn, Let us know how the ulta sounds turn out. Sorry they weren't pleasant. A lot of that is due to the techs. The last time I went in for an MRI the tech was so wonderful. I wrote a glowing review for him.

Rosie, Have fun at the BBQ. I hope the weather is good for you. You don't do all the cooking, do you? Is your MIL coming there? I know lots of Nursing homes let you bring people home for periods of time. We even do that in the hospital. I know we are the only floor that does that, but we allow day passes. We also have pet therapy. I don't think that is entirely new, but the patients really enjoy it. We also allow people to bring their pets in to visit. Does them both good.

Karen, we were posting at the same time. I'm glad you're having good weather and enjoying the pool.

Z, Try to get to the park and get in some sun and reading this weekend!

God to work this weekend ladies, so I won't see much of you. Have a good weekend.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 07-29-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #485  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Okay. Friday. Thirty-six more days to go until the wedding. So far, so good. No cheating whatsoever; carefully counting every morsel that passes my lips, and hoping for the best. I haven’t climbed onto the scale at all this week, simply because it’s so fickle, and tries so hard to discourage me. I refuse to allow it to dictate how I am to feel about my progress/likelihood of success. I DO plan to weigh in tomorrow, but fully intend to take the results with a grain of salt. I’m FEELING less bloated these days, seem to see a little difference around my midsection, and that’s good enough for me.
A little difficulty around planning for this weekend – as I may have mentioned, I am DETERMINED to get to the ocean. My dd wants to come with us, with the twins tomorrow. Her dh & dd are going to Six Flags with the church youth group. This is fine, except that dh & I had planned to stay overnight, and that’s unlikely to be something she wants to do with the twins. Oh, well. We DO want to spend the time with our grandkiddies, as we haven’t seen them all week, so I guess that’ll be the plan. Dh & I can go again by ourselves on Sunday if we want to. Rainy here today, but the weekend is supposed to be sunny. Oh, shoot! Gotta run right now, but will be back after lunch with personals (pretty quiet here today – just like I like it!)
Z
Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #486  

Morning everyone.another sunny day here i must say our weather this summer has been gorgeus the BQ will be at our house,simply becuz we have the biggest space and we are handicapped access my mil uses a wheel chair now,and we have ramps.rails and handicapped biffy and no i dont do all the cooking altho in the past i did. i love having everyone here,but its easier if everyone brings something,like a pot luck. becuz mil is 90 and here 2 kids from calif cant come every yr i thought it was imp to have her whole family together.you just never know and becuz her dementia has gotton worse maybe next time she wont know us . went shopping yesterday,i was looking for a harness for gizmo,ended up getting a tiny cat harness,the reason being that when hes loose on the floor i cant catch him and he wont come when hes called yet so his training begins with a long leash,a firm come and a bit of persuasion with the leash and then praise and a treat.repeat repeat repeat,hopefully he will get it. when my dh is gone ive got to be able to call him too me by the way he hates the harness hoping your day is awsome ttfn rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 07-29-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #487  
Ellabella

Back…had my (carefully calculated) lunch, and am quite pleasantly full, thank you very much!
Sooooo….sounds like a nice plan for the BBQ, Rosey. I quite agree that these sorts of things need to happen while our elders are still with us and able to enjoy themselves, as well as our having the chance to learn whatever we can from them while they are still able to share information about family history and such.
Freda, sorry that you’re working this weekend, but then, I was sorry to be working all week. Just can’t win, can we? Sounds like you’re in the same weather pattern as we are here in Massachusetts. We had a humdinger of a thunder and lightning fest last night too. Or so dh says. Me? I slept right through it, and would’ve slept through the alarm clock this morning, as well, if dh hadn’t given me a shake to see if I was still breathing. Gave him something of a scare, apparently. Well, when I sleep poorly on and off for a while, the moment of reckoning always comes sooner or later, and I have to catch up somehow. I guess last night I did some catching up. I got 8 solid hours of sleep, which is highly unusual for me. If I get six, I count it as a good night’s sleep.
K31 – Yup. That was my cloud over your pool. I sent it away with instructions to give you a holler. I figured you were already wet…. Just you watch out, though, okay? The way you’re living in that pool of yours these days, I fear that you’re going to emerge all withered up. Try to pace yourself….
PT…omigawd. TOO much activity! Once I am retired, I swear I’m going to spend a couple of months only getting out of bed to grab a shower and change the sheets. Uh. No….I guess what I really want to do is spend the first couple of months at the beach. I think that’s going to be plan # 1. My fingers, toes, and eyes are all crossed for you about the job – they’d be awfully stupid not to hire you. Sounds like they’d save some serious money just on benefits, plus have someone in there who knew what they were about, rather than some lil’ ole gal who’s just getting her feet wet, so to speak.
Bobbi, don’t you just HATE it when the publishers do that???? Bring out an old book with a new cover and trick you into buying it all over again? That makes me SO. MAD. Would’ve ruined my day, too! I used to read a lot of Jonathan Kellerman’s books and then started getting away from them. Have you ever read anything by John Lescroart??? I’ve read all of his, and have even read a couple twice when I didn’t have a new book handy. I love his books.
Gayle, does your hospital ever ask for any employee input? I mean, maybe you should suggest your preferences and make an argument for your plan being the more efficient one. You never know – they might very well pay attention to something that they thought would increase efficiency.
Marie, I wouldn’t want to do all that exercising, even if it meant I could have an iced mocha every day. I’m wayyyyy too lazy. I’d rather go without the mocha than exercise so that I could have it. BUT – look at the difference between your picture and mine; I guess that pretty much demonstrates whose plan works the best, eh? I still do hold out the hope that my laziness may go away of its own accord, and without too much effort on my part…ooops, see? It (the laziness) just creeps right back in, no matter how hard I try to ignore it…
Nancy…it’s not so much “summer” per se that I have difficulty with – in fact, I love summer, and the sun, and the ocean and all – what I cannot tolerate is humidity. And I’m with you on the inability to much care what I’m wearing if I’m all hot and miserable anyway. I’m really, really glad that you’re feeling better, though…glad to see your post.
Wow, Lyn….you’re really getting that exercise in, aren’t you? Oh, the swimming every day sounds heavenly! I’d love, love LOVE to be as near as you are to the ocean! I swear, I’d live in a little old shack if it was on the ocean!
Lynn, I certainly am hoping that all’s well on the health front – or if there is a problem, it’s one that can easily be resolved. Keep us informed, please!
Rie/Val…it IS quite a balancing act sometimes, to keep adult children from driving you crazy with their opinions about each other – and each other’s offspring. I always remind myself that when you put two of THEM in the same room, the critiquing invariably must turn to what I’M doing that irritates them. I try my best to see the humor in it because otherwise, I’d probably be in the middle of arguments with all of them most of the time.
K3, hope today was another good day!
I’m getting ready to wrap things up here for the day and head home. I’m looking forward to the next few days off, and then the WEEK off starting Monday, Aug. 8th, because my new dgd will be here.
Have a great evening, everybody –
Z
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #488  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I got the results of the ultrasound for the gallbladder - no problems - no stones. I guess my problems are more gastrointestinal.

Tomorrow is Team Training (6 miles) in Philadelphia. I will pick up my DD and we will go together - she trains with the runners and I train with the walkers.

Lynn
Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #489  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! It was good to be home in our own bed and I got a pretty good sleep. A lot to do here at home but so far all I've done is run around. We went to the gym to work on the machines (no stretch class on Friday) and stopped at a couple stores for a few groceries and to get a new battery for my watch. With my bad eye sight I was sure missing the indigo light in my watch and finally the battery went out completely. My oldest gd is getting married next week and I picked up a card for them...now I need to go shopping for her gift. Just found out there will be a BBQ/Potluck after the wedding. They are trying to keep things simple which I admire, but now I have to decide what to take. It's a two hour trip so not everything holds up so well even in the cooler. My weight was up almost two pounds this am. Back to my eating plan today though.

Lynn - Glad it was not gall stones!! Hope you have no more problems.

No time for more personals...hope everyone has a good day!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #490  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hey all...Another really good day. Have been grocery shopping and swam for 20 minutes doing all my leg exercises in the pool, too. Still have some foggy spots...like swollen ankles and memory laps. I just mixed up a meatloaf and turned on the oven, but forgot to put the pan in the oven!!!!

Donna...I have my fingers crossed (eyes,too) but I already know they want you!

Freda....Try a dryer pad wipe down on Benny Dog.

Marie...Happy Trip!

Gayle....Hopefully the new mgt will get the duty tours straightened out and your life will get simpler!

Nancy.....Get yourself a hugh fabulous novel and spend the next 10 days buried in it. Toss out a few hot dogs for supper and crawl back into arms of Fabio!

Bobbie....Oh man I panic when I don't have a book ready. That was one of the reasons that i tried the kindle....swore I'd hate it and can't live without it now. I had 30 books download when I got sent to the ER. The wee Kindle and recharge cord was all I needed.

Lyn...Wow on the laps. Hopefully I can do half that many soon. Can't swim well cause when arms cross over middle of my chest it really aches. I hang on the flutter board and kick, but feet are swollen and kick is like a poofy girly studder. When I gruws up I wanna swims like you.

Zoe...You are doing just fine toning thy self up for this wedding, but I remember your description of the otherside and I think you should maxi your exotic fabulous flare. Now don't outshine the bride but you have the pizzzas to do this......

k3

ps DH came in needing a drive to get his Jeep and I got to drive for the first time since June. OMG am free

Last edited by Karen3; 07-29-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #491  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey,
Just stopped by to check on everyone. We’re on our way out the door to an outdoor concert - the local band I really like! No time to talk, but OMG KarenFL! I just looovve your idea on how to survive the next 10.….. oh, it’s only 9 now! days!!! Fabio?!!! Hmmmm?!!

Have a great weekend everyone!
NCNancy
Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #492  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Yippee ~ days off are here. One little disappointment ~ I got my movie from Netflix and was all excited to watch it this evening ~ opened it and it was not the one I had expected. Oh well.

Bobbi ~ sorry for the disappointment with the books.

Donna ~ any news about the job yet?

MKaren ~ what a neat priceless gift your sister gave you ~ the VHS tape of pictures and music. Neat that she picked Reba music for your pictures ~ as one of the pictures I saw of you once reminded me of Reba.

Freda ~ hope you have a good weekend at work.

Zoe ~ you are doing awesome sticking to your plan ~ a woman on a mission ~ you will look beautiful

Lynn ~ glad your test results came back ok.

Mary ~ Glad you had a good nights rest last night. Your granddaughter's wedding sounds nice.

Karen FL ~ glad you had a good day ~ you are getting there

NC Nancy ~ enjoy your outdoor concert. They had those in Greensboro when I lived there ~ every Friday night in the summer time. I loved it ~ sitting out-of-doors listening to the live music ~ people of all ages would get up and dance. It felt like such a special treat.

Wow ~ personals twice in one day ~ you all are gonna faint ~ LOL.

Sorry I didn't get to everyone this time.

Think if it is not still too hot and muggy ~ I will go sit out on the deck, turn on the twinkle lights and just relax a bit ~ enjoy the night sounds.

Hope you all have a nice evening.

Take care
Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #493  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome back Mary! Pacific NW finally has hot weather. YEAH! We hit the 90’s today.

Gayle, I hope the new hospital owners make the changes you desire. If nothing else, hopefully they don’t make anymore cuts. Enjoy your days off.

Bobbi, never forget your computer to read on when you don’t have a book. I like Amazon Kindle for Mac (the PC version is great as well) and its great when I want to read and don’t have a book.

Donna, sounds like you have a fun weekend with family planned. We’re leaving for SF on Tuesday evening and returning Thursday night. BTW, I’d choose an older woman over a 30 yo when hiring. Our age tends not to go on maternity leave every 18 months.

So a funny story about that maternity leave frustration. I worked in HR and had a position (payroll) reporting to me that was necessary to always have someone there. After several maternity leaves, I was so frustrated, I asked the current employee and the former one if they’d like to job share. Problem of me doing data entry and my job solved. I thought I was so smart. Wow was I wrong. They both got pregnant, nearly same due dates and I was stuck again. I swore the chair was a fertility chair and I wanted it burned. Therefore my preference in hiring now is beyond childbearing years.

MKaren, any loss is a victory. Congratulations!

Freda, I hope you get to the park for your sun and reading between working. Therapy dogs are so awesome. I might look into Kai taking the classes for certification since she’s a people dog, sweet and happy. A co-worker did the classes and she loves doing it.

Rosey, good idea of using a harness with Gizmo.

Zoe, you wrote me sentiments exactly – I was sorry to be working this week as well. The last two weeks have been so busy I’m reading 3FC at home. You’ll have a blast the week of the 8th!

Lynn, good luck on your training tomorrow. How is your knee?

KarenFL, WOW!!! I scrolled down the page and your message filled the screen. I knew without reading a word you were doing well. It makes us all happy you’re recovering. Hurray for freedom. Enjoy driving again!

I had an interesting start to my day. The temp was around 57 this morning for the doggie walk and I asked DH to take the top off my ’76 Jeep so I could drive it this morning. It’s the one we’re selling. So he did that and I bundled up for the morning ride. Thirty minutes of 57 degrees at 60 mph is still chilly. I started it up (it hasn’t been driven in a while) and me and my yellow Jeep head down the dirt road, then up the next dirt road. We’re at the top and it backfires 3 times so loud I nearly jump form the vehicle. Then it stalls. As I’m coasting, it won’t restart. So I try to pop the clutch but I was going slow by then. I let it drift to the side of the road and just sit there pondering my options. Alas, there is only one – walk home on the dirt/gravel roads in sandals. As I’m walking I text my co-worker I will late. Many rocks in my sandals later, I get home. Doggies think work is done for the day and I have to sadly leave them again. So I take my other Jeep. Poor yellow looks so sad just abandoned. I did stop and say hi – ok I really stopped to retrieve my iced mocha that is no longer so iced since it baked in the sun. DH and I retrieved it this afternoon and ignition wires somehow got wrapped in a fan, then shorted poor yellow. DH says it’s an easy fix. I will try again next week. I will, however, stock yellow with an old pair of walking shoes.

Regardless, it was a beautiful, hot day and I loved it. I especially love it is Friday. Tomorrow DH and I are going over the mountain. We’ll go bike riding (no daughter or grandson so I’ll get real exercise, not lots of coasting). Then we’ll go shopping for my b-day iPad 2. Yippeee!!!!!! Then Costco. I did decide to renew my membership. The rebate check for the $100 membership was $87, so it will only cost $13 for another year.
Marie
Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #494  

Height: 5'3"

wow that's great about your Costco membership, Marie. I've thought about buying the $100 membership but wasn't sure we buy enough to make it worth it. Do you buy quite a bit each year?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #495  
Ellabella

Off to the beach this morning.....YAY! Beautiful sunny day predicted, and I plan to fully enjoy!!!!! OH! NSV (my kind of NSV... ) We were all over at dd2's last night helping get things in order for the new bambina, and they all ordered Chinese food. I ALMOST caved; they almost had me convinced to order chicken moo shu (my FAVE) because it's mostly cabbage and veggies....but I looked up the nutritional info on dd's phone, and it was 1000 calories!!!!!! So, I said "no, thanks..." and sent dh next door to get me a container of homemade pea soup (which was already IN my FitDay food log) and I had that while they ate the Chinese food. Amazing grace.
Okay ... bbl...hopefully a little tanner, somewhat salty, but not an ounce heavier!
Have a great day, y'all!
Z
Closed Thread