Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Daily Chat #5

Hello,

Please join us here where we discuss our weight loss efforts, as well as our daily lives. We share support, friendship, and accountability. All newbies welcome!

So, pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, and jump right in!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Linda - aww, you are so lucky to still have your dad. Have a good time with him tomorrow! Neal and I, and the kids and grands, have rented 4 cabins in a park. They are log cabins, but have a/c and other conveniences. There are trails and other fun things to do, if it isn't too hot, that is.

Tammy - haha, I know how you feel about getting mail for "elderly" people. My Neal is 10 years older than me, so when he joined AARP at age 55, I was accepted at age 45, on his membership. I get those same catalogues, and now I think some of the stuff is pretty neat, lol.

Well, I've got most of the things packed for the cabin, and am excited about going. Our old dog, Molly, is going with us, but we're leaving the little one, Lucy, home. She will be checked on by other family members.

I'm taking the laptop with me, and as long as I get a signal, I'll check in.

Have a good weekend!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I'm browsing the forums tonight so thought I'd say a quick hi here too! Think my dh will be calling me soon to watch a little tv. He is the "tv person" and I'm the "internet person" in our home but our interests do overlap a little.

I've dropped some other forums so will try to drop in more often now and be more sociable. I'm also really tired of losing weight SO slowly and hope the forums will help to motivate me. Been a member for a long time but haven't had time to post regularly in many forums. I know that I am losing overall as a few years ago my high was 168 or more and my low was 165. Now my high is 163, and I have been as low in the past 6 months as 157, but it is discouraging because I can't seem to eat low-cal enough to even keep my weight below 160...in fact last June I weighed the same as I did today!

I've learned a lot along the way about nutrition and dieting but just need to bring it all together in my mind and apply it every single day. I am doing better so with your support hopefully I will soon be able to lose more weight. Thanks for listening..

Last edited by maryea; 06-17-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning Ladies,

Jane, have a great weekend! It sure sounds like a lot of fun! My parents have a travel home and we did a lot of camping while growing up. I especially looked forward to sitting around the campfire in the evenings telling stories. Some of them were tall stories, I'm sure, but we always had a great time. I hope the weather is pleasant!

Tammy, I've been getting paraphernalia from AARP for years. I have no idea how I ever got on their mailing lists. Jake loves to tease me about it, especially since he's 3 years older than me and never gets mail from them.

Maryea, we have the situation in my family. Jake is the TV person and I'm the internet person. There isn't much I like to watch on TV these days, although I do enjoy Survivor and The Amazing Race when they are on, and I enjoy watching The Deadliest Catch and Ice Road Truckers, too. And I have the same problems as you with losing weight. I try to eat healthy the majority of the time, but the pounds are so slow coming off. They have no trouble piling on, tho!

I have today off, but now that school is out I'll probably be working most Fridays until September. I want to get the upstairs cleaned this morning and try to get to the library to look for some good reading material. This afternoon, I may take my Dad out for lunch, and spend the rest of the day in the pool.

Have a good one, Ladies!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Mary - to you! I'm so happy you decided to join our little group. It is a wonderful place for accountability and friendship. I have to admit, I like the TV, AND the internet, lol. Now that reruns are on, though, TV doesn't have much of a draw for me. My mother's name was Mary, and my older dd is named Mary. I, too, have been losing very slowly, but I've lost over 24 pounds in 20 weeks. Still, I used to do Weight Watchers at home, and I'm going back to that on Monday, and see if that helps my loss. Again, I'm so happy you're here!

Linda - did you take your dad out for lunch? If so, I bet you both enjoyed it! Have fun by the pool. Sounds heavenly!

Hello to anyone else reading this.

Well, we're at the cabin, and waiting for all the others to get off work and arrive. It's very spacious, and clean, too. There are only 4 cabins here, and since my family rented them all, we will have the whole area to ourselves. Sweet! The internet signal is slow, but available.

It's very hot, but I'm going to take a short walk around and see what's what.

Toodles for now!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Maryea - welcome! drop in anytime. we are a group that enjoys chatting and reflecting on what we hear.
Jane - if you have thunderstorms in the late afternoon, you could rinse the dishes and not waste water.... <wink>
Linda blessings to you and your dad/ and to all the dad's out there!

this week was a big one. our family has 2 birthdays on 16Jun and 17Jun respectively. My sis is now 67, the father of my children would have been 67. He is guiding me from another spiritual place. My dd left for her first solo flight and hotel stay in NC. She left on her dad's birthday.. sort of a gift from him too. My new relationship came into my 'nest' to stay for a few days.

She is also following a food plan, and we enjoyed shopping and preparing
food that is 'restaurant' quality that is also OP. I will include a recipe for a summer salad that I created for her.

I am now off all blood pressure medications.
Thanks for all the support as I continue my journey.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #7  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Hello ladies! Hubby is a year younger than I am, so he is having a ball teasing me about all the "elderly" mail I get, silly man, it will be his turn soon enough!!

Anyway Happy Father's Day to all the dad's in your lives. Mine and hubby's have passed on, but they always remain in our hearts.

Have a blessed weekend. Tammy
Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #8  
blissful

S/C/G: 199/189.0/192.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Newbie here. Married with great children and one granddaughter who thinks I hung the moon. I feel the same about her. Also have parents who are 89 and 91, healthy and a big part of our lives. Most of us will be at their house tomorrow for Father's Day. A great feast I am looking forward to. The diet starts Monday with an official weigh-in. I hope being part of this group helps me stick to a healthy diet. I tend to binge every so often.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #9  

Haven't had time to post recently as my dh fell and broke his leg on Friday, so have spent most of my time at the hospital with him since then. He is doing well though so hopfully I will be able to bring him home tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Coralee (chicpanda) - thankfully, it rained only at night while we were camping. We're back home now. I'll check out your new recipe in a bit. I am always open to new ideas!

Tammy - my parents and Neal's have all passed on, too. Yep, your hubby will soon be on the mailing list for orthopedic shoes and other elder aides, lol.

Blissfulinnc - to our group! We will give you support and encouragement for your weight loss journey. Aww, aren't grandkids just the best things ever?? I can't seem to get enough of mine. Have fun with your parents today. You are blessed to still have them.

Mary - oh my! I'm sorry to hear about your DH's leg! Hopefully, he'll be able to come home today. What a way to spend Father's Day!

Hello to anyone reading this.

We're back from the cabin, and as fun as it was, there's no place like home. Our dog Molly went with us, because she can be trusted to stay close by, but Lucy, the little yapper, had to stay home. She was so glad to see us. We celebrated Father's Day yesterday, as well as the twins' birthday, so the kids can go to their in-laws and celebrate today.

Not sure what the plans are for today - I'm leaving that up to Neal.

Have a good day!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Blissfulinnc, welcome! I'm glad you've decided to join us and look forward to getting to know you! It sounds like you had a great day planned for yesterday!

Maryea, I hope your DH is able to come home today, and that his leg isn't too painful.

Jane, it sounds like you had a great weekend at the lake, and you were lucky that it only rained at night! What did you end up doing yesterday?

Jake and I took my parents out for breakfast yesterday, and had them over later for a cookout. So I was pretty busy all day between keeping an eye on Amber, who was in the pool, and cooking and preparing salads for supper. I really didn't mind, although I would have really enjoyed just curling up with my book in a shady spot on the porch all afternoon.
This should be an easy week at work, as my girlies are away until Thursday and there won't be much to do at their house. I'll enjoy getting home early for a change!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #12  
blissful

S/C/G: 199/189.0/192.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for the welcome. Looking at the list of forums here, I think this is where I belong so will likely post here most often.

Mary, sorry to hear about your husband. My own had surgery on his back and shoulder last month and is in a lot of pain, especially on the days he has therapy. It's hard to watch. Hopefully, your dh is as strong and stoic as mine. (Mine still vacuums while I am at work. He's convinced sitting still is a worse option.)

chicpanda - I am also on blood pressure medicines after getting quite sick. My numbers are great now but it hasn't been long. I am hoping that with some stress in my life ending and a weight loss I might get off the meds as I have never been on anything long term. How did you do it? Did you start by taking half doses and seeing how your numbers were?

Jane - it sounds like you had a great weekend. I camp some with my daughter and her family, and sometimes my older son and his wife join us, but can't remember the last time the whole family was together for a weekend. Everyone is just too busy with conflicting schedules. Maybe this fall I will be able to plan something, even if just one long day together.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

blissful - I was on 2 meds at my peak weight, (294.5). I had to loose almost 55 pounds before the meds were not needed. Around the 45 pound loss, I was feeling light headed and dizzy. Silly me I forgot what low blood pressure felt like. had to have a mini emergency (see above) to figure it out.

Happy Summer Solstice to everyone! I am going to a meditation drumming circle this evening. Sounds like fun, and I haven't 'beat my own drum' for years.

How's by everyone???
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #14  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Linda - Neal and I just rested yesterday. It was so hot and humid, that we stayed in and watched Boston Legal dvds, and played games. I'm happy for you that you'll have short work days this week.

Bliss - (is it ok if I call you that?) It's hard for us, too, to get everyone together for more than just a couple of hours. Our older daughter works every other weekend, and that makes it tough. So we just plan waaaay ahead for special events. I'm glad your BP is better. Sorry to hear about your DH's pain, though, and hope he's better soon.

Coralee - the meditation drumming sounds very interesting! Be sure and tell us all about it tomorrow.

Hello to anyone reading this.

Funny that this is the first day of summer, since it's been sweltering for weeks now. We're supposed to get a break on Thursday. In the meantime, I'm just staying in the house, mostly. Even the dogs don't stay out long. The mailman is getting a respite from their barking and threats, thanks to the heat, lol.

I showed a small gain on the scales this time (again), and was pretty downhearted about that. since I have been OP. So I decided to count up my calories into WW points for each day last week, and was surprised that I was way over what WW would recommend. So, as much as I'd rather just count calories, I'm back to WW points. I'm so close to the 25 pound mark, and I really, really hope to see it on my next weigh in.

Toodles for now,
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Hello ladies,
I've been aol for a while. Sounds like everyone had a great weekend, except Mary. Hope your dh is doing better today and his foot heals quickly!!

We went to dh folks and played Cribbage in the afternoon to celebrate the day. Very enjoyable, just the 4 of us.

We took the trailer and went to the beach for 5 days. Daughter and 3 grand daughters came over and it was non stop. Had a bunch of fun together. Have to grab the time when we can, all the girls will be in high school in the fall. Plus pretty soon they won't want to go camping with g&g. We're old fogies to them. AND the internet was so slooooow. I couldn't stand it!!! Plus had to use the laptop keyboard and I was making so many mistakes, it was taking forever to write anything. Like Jane said...it's always good to get home.

We drove up the coast to see the elephant seals molting. They have the beach secured just for the seals, but the parks have a beautiful wood ramp to see from. We were there 10 years ago and it was a dirt trail. Much better now. Went shell hunting on the beach, gosh....once you start looking at the shells and rocks, the time flies by. I could have stayed out longer, but my pockets were bulging. Next time I'm bringing a bucket!

Mary--I'm the same with this losing thing as you. Just can't seem to get the weight down and keep it down. Up and down every week. Can't seem to get a hold on it. But I keep trying. I feel better with this eating program. This is a long journey!

Daughter and I are going on a road trip mid July by ourselves. I think just a couple nights. Don't think the girls want to go antiquing and looking at the thrift shops as much as we do. LOL Should be fun! We're always hunting for treasures I can paint on. I really have enough to keep me busy the rest of the year, but what's a few more, right?

I didn't make it to the YMCA today for water aerobics. Guess I'm still recouping for the week of fun. Planning on tomorrow for sure. Did a bunch of sitting this weekend. Watched Soccer and golf. Not a good weekend for me exercising.

Chat more next time.
Carol
Closed Thread