Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Daily Chat #4

Hello,

Please join us here where we discuss our weight loss efforts, as well as our daily lives. We share support, friendship, and accountability. All newbies welcome!

So, pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, and jump right in!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Good morning,

Trish - I hope you're having lots of fun with baby Jaxxon, and all the other family. We miss you!

Linda - how's the garden coming along?

Tammy - what's new in your neck of the woods?

Bonnie - I really like Modern Family, too. It's laugh-out-loud funny, and the entire cast is great!

Doris - wouldn't it be nice if there was standardized sizing in clothes? I've got 3 different sizes in my closet that are all the same in fit. We had 2 cherry trees in the yard, but one was hit repeatedly by lightening and finally had to be cut down. The other one is small, but produces enough cherries to make a couple of pies each year. Nuthin' like fresh cherries right off the tree!

Sadiemae2 - to you! Yep, as Carol said, there are many of us in the same boat as you. You'll get the motivation you need here, as well as friendship. I look forward to knowing more about you.

Carol - wow, you are doing so well with the exercise! Was the dental appt just a check up? Hope you're not having a problem.

Hello to anyone else reading this.

I'll have grandkids today and for awhile tomorrow, too. Can't wait to see them! Then on Sunday, Neal and I will be going to sister Sara's house, who lives about 4 hours away, for her DGD's graduation. We're staying overnight, but I will take the laptop with me.

I've been OP all week, and hope to see a nice loss on the scales tomorrow.

Have a good weekend!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

Happy Friday!

Furlough Day today. I think I'm just going to veg... It's not very nice this morning and it's going to get cooler and more windy as the day progresses. I may go to the garden center for some tomato and pepper plants. Then I may actually clean the house (did I just say that?).

The clothes collectors come today, but I didn't realize it so I don't have anything ready. It's so convenient, they come once a month and they support people with multiple sclerosis.

Welcome SadieMae2.

Jane: Have fun with your gks today and I hope you have a good time on your trip. I hope the scale is good to you. Because of how we get freezes, the few fruit trees we have rarely have fruit. Except for apples, and for the past few years, the bears have been getting them.

Have a good day everyone!

Doris
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/219/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I am a newbee and just wanted to get some good food ideas and find out what is working for everyone, have been eating lots of veg/fruit and cut out the sugars & fats and so far it is working. But it is so boring!

Roxanna
Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

Back for a minute...

Doris - I really tied into my house earlier this week and did some "spring cleaning" type chores that I'd let go for awhile. Goodness only knows when I'll do them again, lol. Life is too short to fuss much about housework. You have BEARS getting your apples?? Holy smokes, I have only deer and rabbits eating some of our bounty, so I'll count my blessings, lol.

Roxanna - to you. I have to admit, I'm a creature of habit, and eat nearly the same things for breakfast and lunch most days, but shake it up a bit for supper. What a great time to be trying new produce, since summer is nearly here, but then again, where you live, you have access to fresh produce all year! One of my favorite ways to eat raw veggies is to dip them in a mixture of 4 parts salsa to one part lite Ranch dressing. Low in calories and fat, but high in taste. You might want to try some hummus for protein and fiber. Or mix them up in a bowl, add some lemon juice, herbs, and toss. I add diced tomatoes to many dishes for the vitamins, and to give me more volume. As for fruit, I like it in it's natural state, mostly, but like to add some Splenda and cinnamon to a cored, sliced apple then nuke it. Yum! Smells like mom's apple pie. Anyway, I'm glad you're here, and I will be glad to get to know you better.

Last edited by Jane; 05-21-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Just a pop in hi to all. It's been a busy few days at work and home, but I will check in more over the weekend.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/219/150

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the tips, I like veggies but not so much fruit, its too sweet, I do eat hummus but saw there were a few new ways to make it so I will try it out. The dip sounds good, I like it spicy so that should hit that craving. I have a ton of frozen peaches from my tree but they turn mushy when baking with them (like crisps,etc), the only thing I have found is to make smoothies. I made a lot of jam with very little sugar but that still isn't healthy. Anyone have ideas?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

We got back from FL last evening and was really wiped out. Working today to get everything washed and put away and getting organized. Off plan pretty much during the trip as we ate out a lot, but I did try to watch what I ate. I'll read to catch up and get back to y'all at least by tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #9  

Good Morning Everyone!

Hi Roxanna and welcome: There are a lot of recipes on the Low Carb forum. I'm doing strict lowcarb for the next few weeks before my vacation and I plan on going there for dinner ideas. I'm like Jane, I pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, but dinner always stumps me.

Jane: We never had problems with bears, but there was a bad fire at Tahoe 3 years ago. That and the drought brought them down off the mountain because they follow the river. My dobie used to keep them away from the house but the apple trees aren't near the house--thank goodness. On the smaller trees they just pull the branches down and break them. Those things can move! One big one spent the summer in my neighbors old orchard eating apples and getting fat. But he was hit on the highway--so sad. The only other thing the bears would eat was watermelon. They had zero interest in my pumpkins . I guess now that they have found their way here they will keep coming back. And now the state says they don't have any money to deal with them. Sorry to ramble, but this interests me so I'm boring you!

The deer haven't done too much damage, but they completely annihilated my neighbor's extensive plantings. I guess my postage stamp sized garden isn't worth the bother. I put sample sized soap on the giant pumpkins that I wanted to get big, but they actually did me a favor by trimming the smaller ones.

And on a diet related topic--DH said my stomach is looking smaller

Didn't do much housework, but I still have time. I sorted through my clothes and that really motivated me since I don't want to give away some of those sweaters. Going for a walk so I will check in tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is doing okay!

Doris
Old 05-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #10  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

HELLO ALL! Welcome to all the newbies. Sorry I've been MIA for a few days. It's hot and humid here! Well I weighed in the morning, lost the three pounds I had gained plus one extra, so that is good. I am still bruised from knee to toe from tripping over hubby's foot the other day. My ankle right now is so swollen it looks like it will blow up! Have been sleeping with it on an incline at night, it's ok in the morning, but from being on my feet, it's all swollen by mid morning, will try an ice pack tonight, and try and keep it elevated as much as possible tomorrow after church. Have a blessed weekend all.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #11  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Bonnie - hi to you, too! These days seem busy for all of us, which is good. Lots of graduations, get-togethers, weddings, reunions, etc. I like it! What have you been up to?

Roxanna - mmmm, peach smoothies! That would be my first choice. How about making some peach salsa to eat on baked fish? Or on some lean pork tenderloin? Also, you could heat the peaches and blend them in your oatmeal. Or stir some in your yogurt. You could make some peach sauce, like apple sauce, with Splenda. Hopefully, the others will have some good ideas for you.

Trish - YAY, you're back!! Did you get your heart filled with love by the new grandson. I would really, really like to hold a tiny one again.

Doris - whoo-hoo for a smaller belly, and how sweet of your hubby to mention it!! You didn't bore me at all - I really like reading about each of your lives. I am smack-dab in the middle of watermelon country here in Indiana, so I hope the bears stay away, lol.

Tammy - glad to see you back! A big YAY for the loss! Youch, sounds like you really took a tumble! I hope your ankle is better soon. You have a good weekend, too.

Pam - I hope all is well with you.

Hello to anyone else reading this.

We're taking off for my sister's early in the morning. Since it's just an over night trip, I'm not going to bother taking the laptop.

The graduation is being held outdoors, and the temp is suppose to be 92 tomorrow! Thankfully, the graduation class is small, so hopefully, it won't last too long.

Have a blessed Sunday, and I'll be back Monday.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

This will be a quick one for now. Trying to get back into a routine. First off, let me say to all our Newbies. Almost feel like a newbie myself since I've been here so little.

Jane Yes, I have to say that it is a joy to hold a new born baby. I walked in the first day I saw him and he was fussy... told him I was glad or I would have had to pinch him to wake him. lol I picked him up and held him and fed him his bottle as it was feeding time. After that, he seemed to know my voice and would fuss until I picked him up and held him. He is absolutely precious and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him. His Mama and Daddy tried to talk us into moving back to FL so I could take care of him. Of course, that is impossible right now.

Well, it was so hot for us and I'm so out of shape that we didn't get to stay very long at Seaworld. I had not drank much water while in south FL and was dehydrated and I really felt it. So we took in a few shows and saw a few things and left. By the time I got back home, I was exhausted. So I am back on plan. I am counting calories and eating more whole foods.

Church this morning and this evening. So I'll catch y'all tomorrow. Y'all have a great Sunday.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #13  

Good Morning:

Trish: How wonderful about getting to spend time with the new baby ! It was probably hard to leave him. Sorry that the heat was too much for you. Even though I'm from the Midwest, I can't take high humidity anymore.

Well I have to finish watering indoor cacti. We had hard frost the last two nights and it got to my potato tops. I don't remember that happening last year. Winter (I don't think we ever get spring) is truly holding on with cold, icy fingers. Have a lot of weeding to do (the frost doesn't bother them) so I'll be going.

Have a great day everyone!

Doris
Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everyone,
Just touching base here. Had to do a little reading to catch up.

Doris-- I enjoyed reading your post also. We love to go cherry picking a few miles away. They taste so delicious right of the tree, it's hard not to eat too many.

Winter is holding on down here and doesn't seem to want to let go! Just can't get up in temps and stay there. It's been so cold and windy the past week.

Jane--I'm trying to move it a little more. Trying to do something each day, but I usually get in only 3 days at the Y. That four times was a fluke. hehehe We don't go on the weekends. We leave that time for folks who work. We try to do something on the weekend that we can count as exercise. This weekend is a bust though, just to cold and windy up here in the desert to do stuff outside.

We took this opportunity to put down molding in my paint room. The rest of the house was done about 5 years ago. But I had so much stuff in my room I'd give dh a dirty look when he started talking about finishing my paint room. I've made a hundred trips back and forth taking stuff out of my room so dh can work. We'll never see the molding, I have too much furniture and stuff to paint on, sitting around. I'm working on down sizing my stash as fast as I can.

Roxanna--I eat about the same most of the time too. We used to like to go out for breakfast, but try to save those days when we're traveling, or if we take the grand kids out. Lunch is usually a salad or shake. Sometimes breakfast is a shake or scrambled eggs and one bread. Dinners are pretty simple fish, chicken, or beef, with salad and a veggie. No carbs for me at night and we try to eat 2 hours before we go to bed. Usually it's about 4 hours for me, but I don't seem to want to nibble after dinner. Probably because I eat lots of veggies. Don't eat very much fruit. Except when the peach are ready to pick. We've never had fruit trees and planted 4, two years ago. The peaches are the best. This year we have 4 apricots. Nectarines are doing pretty good and this is a really good year for the Asian Pear. So will have more fruit later in the season.

Will have to try Jane's recipe for salsa dip. That sounds good.

Trish--Your grandson sounds precious!! Glad you had a good time with the family.

I lost a little last week, but still not in uncharted waters.

Everyone have a great week ahead!

Carol
Old 05-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #15  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Default Good Afternoon!

Well it's hotter than today. We had to install a new a/c in one of my stores last week, bummer, the landlord paid for it, but I will have to pay her back, at least it's a monthly note and not all at one time and tomorrow having to install 2 new a/c units in another store and PRAYING the one at the house that we have been adding freon to every year for a few years can hold on a little longer. Ankle still swollen, took today off to not be on my feet for 9 hours, of course, my foot is just about every shade of blue and purple that you can get with a bruise. I guess next time I will look down to see whose feet are in my way!!! My eating is ok, I overate Sunday which is a bad thing we do every Sunday, but all in all not to bad during the week, will have to see what Saturday's weigh in will be. I hope you all have a blessed evening. Tammy
Closed Thread