Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #16  
blissful

S/C/G: 199/189.0/192.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the warm wellcome.

Getting ready for work but wanted to check in, post on the thread where we can write down what we ate. I hope that helps me stay on track. Did yesterday.

I saw a greeting card yesterday that also helped. An old woman is holding up a pair of very large "grannie panties" and the front of the card says "And just like that..." Inside it says, "you are your mother". Don't know why that got to me but I really don't want anyone to give that to MY daughter and mean it. She has battled weight gain and is fit (wears thongs, not "real pants") and I really would like her to think of me as trim when I am just a memory.

Enough maudlin stuff. Off to work, hope you all have a good day.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

I just got back from the doctor. Every thing looks good, next visit is scheduled for 30Sep. I took, for me, a major risk and introduced Beth as the woman that I am courting. She was tickled and wished us all the best. Times certainly have changed. Twenty years ago in Tampa, I could have been shot for holding hands in public. The doctor's scale showed a reasonable weight loss so I am cool.

Hope that all is well with my sisters of support.
Coralee
Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #18  

Height: 5'3"

My dh did come home and we are doing pretty well. He needs help with almost everything at this point and I don't mind...I'm happy to help him and know he'd do the same for me. Besides all the regular daily stuff, I help him exercise twice a day in addition to walking with him a few times a day (in the house only.) I also give him is injection to prevent blood clots. He is only touch-down weight bearing but he's gaining strength and getting out of bed by himself while I stand by. He's normally a very active person and hates being inactive. He was looking out the window wishing he could get get outside and work. He's been looking forward to nice weather and now we get a nice day and he's stuck indoors. Hopefully soon he'll be able to move more easily and can go outside to sit for a while on nice days.

I baked cookies for son who is coming tonight and of course, I had a couple myself. Know I shouldn't have but otherwise have eaten healthy. But after eating them I felt so tired and my bs was high before dinner and I had to ask myself why do I do this? I guess that is a good sign in itself though...I am finally at a point when I really prefer to make good choices even though I don't always. Hope that makes sense..
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #19  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Carol - your days at the beach sound heavenly! I can't imagine seeing the seals, what a sight to behold! Funny, I was just thinking today that before long, the grands will want to spend weekends with friends rather than come see the old grandparents. I know that will sting when it happens, especially since they are all so close in age so they are likely to exit en masse. Your July trip sounds like fun.

Coralee - I'm glad everything went well at the doctor's. She sounds like a very supportive person. A big YAY for the loss.

Hello to anyone else reading this.

We went to see Toy Story 3 today with the grands. Great movie - sad at the end. Well, bittersweet, actually. The family all had M&Ms and popcorn, but I took a cup of Cheerios and a Kashi bar with me to snack on, and didn't mind it at all. Squeezing my rear into the seat was just more incentive to stay OP, lol. So far, so good with the WW points.

It's nearly 11pm here, and 'm headed to bed.... have a great Wednesday!

Last edited by Jane; 06-22-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #20  
GmaTo8

Mary - we were posting at the same time. I'm glad your dh got to come home! He'll rest better there. My hubby is an active person, like your dh, and he had back surgery two years ago. I just hated seeing him helpless, and was so glad when he recovered. I understand about you knowing good choices in food, even though you don't always make them. Such is life. I think it's what we do 90% of the time that counts most. Having all the fresh produce available now is really helping me stay OP.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning Ladies!

Jane, I've always heard that when it gets hot and humid outside, your weight goes up. Hopefully, that's what your gain is from. Hang in there, and I'm sure you'll see your goal pretty soon. We're having a heat wave here right now, too, but at least I can open the windows for a while in the mornings to get some fresh air in here.

Maryea, I'm so happy that your DH is home where you can take good care of him and help him recuperate. Don't forget to set a little time aside for yourself, too.

Carol, your vacation at the beach sounded like a lot of fun, and your upcoming vacation with your DD sounds wonderful!

Coralee, I'm glad your doctor appointment went well and that she congratulated you and Beth!

Well, my girls are coming back from Maine this evening, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about their vacation. I really missed them for the few days they were away. I just have a few things to do at the farm this morning but have the rest of the day off, since I'll have a full day tomorrow and Friday. I'm looking forward to a nice dip in the pool this afternoon.
My eating has been OP, but I've been feeling fat lately. I don't know what that is all about?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 160/149/140

Height: 5'6"

Hope its ok to jump in here. I am back to working out. I use the Wii Fitness program. My goal this week is to get off the ice cream kick! find planning my snacks very helpful. Kinda excited to try to get some weight off and be able to wear the fun summer clothes. Even us "older" gals wanna look nice, right
Old 06-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #23  

Cindy Gail! I'm a big fan of Wii Fit, too. Although I must admit that now that hot weather is here, I don't use it as much as I should. And I see that ice cream is your nemesis, too. We have a lot in common, LOL!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #24  

Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a good day.
Cottage, I'm right there with you guys with the ice cream. I used to have a boss who would say the great thing about ice cream is that if you get tired of one flavor there is always another and I tend to agree.

With the way I've been eating lately I wasn't surprised to see my weight is up again. Everyday I plan to do better but somehow I get off course as the day goes on. I think some of it is because I don't have much time for myself these days, Carol, but things should get easier soon. Our youngest son arrived last night ..it's a work trip but he is staying with us, so he can help us some
while he's here.

It's a beautiful day here and I did go out and pull a few weeds. I hope to get my dh out to sit on the bench in front of the house soon if not today. I think he'd do ok with that and he loves being outside. Yes, it is difficult to see him so inactive and weak now. The home care nurse was here this am and she said he's doing good but he is definitely still a fall risk which of course I knew. He is moving better on his own now with me only standing by though. so hopefully by next week we will have seen much improvement.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #25  

Good morning! I'm enjoying my hot coffee now, but I sure won't want it later, as the day promises to be a real cooker. It's already in the low 80s!

Maryea, I hope your DH continues to get stronger as he recuperates. Sitting outside to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine will be good for him. Enjoy your visit with your son! I'm glad he's there to give you a hand.

"Hi!" to everyone else who is reading this, and I hope you all have a great day planned.

My girls were due home from their vacation last night, so I'll be going over early today and expect to have a long workday since Cindy has a polo game this evening. I haven't planned our day yet, but it will probably involve some pool time in this heat. At least the heat really cuts my appetite!

Please remember to keep yourselves especially hydrated with this summer heat!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 06-24-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

G'day everyone:

Another tropical scorcher in Tampa (what else?) Thunderstorms are predicted for later.. again redundancy as Hillsborough county has the most lightening strikes per year of any county in the US. Our own private fireworks.

The kid got back from NC, having had a wonderful time. She flies stand by and had a little trouble going north, coming home was a breeze. The cats missed her, and seemed happy she was back. She is the cat feeder in the house .. so she is very significant.

Mary glad your son is with you to help out. I don't know what casts are like these days, but back in the dawn of time, my sister used a wire coat hanger to scratch inside the cast when the healing itching was overwhelming. not sure if this is a useful suggestion or not. I also notice that I want to eat more when I am stressed.. and when I am uber stressed, I do.

blissful I know what you mean about 'granny pants' I am sure looking forward to wearing something private that has a little more 'oomph'.
hope all my sisters in support are well today
Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #27  

Chicpanda, things have changed so much in the medical world! I couldn't believe it. It's been 20 years since I worked on the floor nursing and 15 since I worked in a health facility and a lot has changed in that time! My dh does not have a cast at all! In ER they put him briefly in a splint-like traction device (that was the worse part as it really hurt when they pulled the broken bone ends together!) then in surgery they dropped a steel rod down the bone (bone is hollow), there are three small incisions which are stapled. One at the very top near the hip is where they dropped in the rod, not sure about the other one up there ...might be where the camera was as they used a tv monitor to visualize what they were doing inside...and then there is another incision just above the knee where they screwed the rod in there. Once the swelling goes down he should be able to bend his knee much better...right now it's pretty swollen and stiff which I think is natural at this stage. I try to elevate most of the time, but he won't sometimes as it can get uncomfortable. So we go back and forth. The exercises we do 2x a day are helping too and I can tell he is able to bend it a little easier each day.

Bliss - yes he did get outside today...sat on the bench and the neighbors came over to chat. He enjoyed that, and then before going back inside he walked out to his pickup (in the driveway maybe 20 ft away) and back. Today was beautiful. So glad to finally be getting nice weather!

Cottage - That pool time sounds good. It's not quite that warm here yet and we don't have a pool but I always look forward to the warm weather even though I don't get out in it too often if it is really warm. I enjoy having ac but yet I love that I can go out and be warm if I want to. My dh is Filipino and he HATES the cold rain we get up here in the NW...he loves the summer though when we finally get it.

I've done well so far on my eating plan. It's the evenings that are the hardest for me, so I hope I will do better tonight. Has anyone heard of PeerTrainer.com? I get tips from them and recently they said to decide to make your very next decision a good healthy one. The idea is that just like bad decisions stack up (mine sure have recently!), good decisions can stack up too once you determine to make your next decision a good one. So I'm hoping to accomplish that tonight and from now on. Yes at times I know I will fail but like some of you have said, I never give up, just keep on trying and feel I am better for the journey.

Last edited by maryea; 06-24-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everybody,

I haven't been here in a long time so thought I would check in. I think the last time I wrote, I found out I had the shingles, diabetes 2 and high blood pressure. The shingles are fading, but the pain is lingering. The doctor finally gave me a prescription that is suppose to work on the nerve involved to ease it so I can sleep. It doesn't take the pain away, but I guess it makes it a little easier. From what I read on 3fc and dlife.com, it seems that lowcarb is the best way to control blood sugar so I'm trying to get in the routine of lowcarbing again.

Also last time I wrote, DH had a swollen left leg. I don't know where we were when I wrote last, but they found out last week that he has clots in the lungs as well. He is on coumadin and seeing many different doctors who are all ordering tons of tests and bless his heart he has had a lot of blood drawn to the point you wonder if he has any left. He still has more to be done the end of this month and see another doctor.

So that is why I'm MIA right now, but hope that things might get back to normal around here by the end of July if at all possible.

I think of all of you everyday and hope everyone is doing well.

Hugs,
Trish
Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #29  

Morning!

Coralee, I'm glad your DD got back without any problems. We've been suffering through a tropical-style heatwave all week. We're getting a brief respite after a horrific storm took some of the humidity with it yesterday, but the heat is supposed to be back tomorrow. It makes one very grateful for AC to help tolerate it. I don't mind the heat much during the day, but I don't like it hot at night at all.

Maryea, your DH's procedure sounds painful! I hope he's feeling better each day. Evenings are my snacktime, too, but I always save my dessert to enjoy when the desire to eat hits. Hang in there!

Trish, I've wondered what you've been up to and hope you're starting to get some relief from the shingles. I'm sorry that you and your DH are having such a stressful time right now and pray that you'll both be feeling much better very soon.

I have to go in to work today, but am going to take the kids to see Toy Story 3, so the day will go by fast. We were going to spend the day in the pool yesterday, but a terrible storm put a quick end to those plans! We went to the craft store, instead, and stocked up on a lot of crafting material for some fun summer projects.
My meals have been on-plan, but it's been taking a lot of willpower to resist an ice cream when the girls are enjoying a cone. I have to get a grip on that!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #30  
GmaTo8

Good morning,

Cindy - a big to our group! You will find support and encouragemnet here! As you can tell, we are friendly, upbeat bunch! I'm glad you joined us. My DD next door has borrowed my Wii to see if she and her DH should buy one. I fear I may never get it back, lol. My fave on it is pool - not much exercise, but real fun!

Linda - I bet the girls were so happy to be home, and especially, to see you. We saw Toy Story 3 this week, and it is soooo good! Not just for kids. I cried at the bittersweet end, and I think you will, too. I don't feel like I'm holding water, but maybe I am. I've been doing WW this week, and I think I'm getting more food, with less calories. Even though I try to eat clean, there's always room for improvement.

Mary - the technology of today's medical procedures just amazes me! When Neal had his back operated on 2 years ago, they planned to release him the same day, but he had a little problem urinating, so they kept him overnight. I save Points for an evening snack, or I'd never make it 'til morning

Carol - what are you crafting now?

Bliss - I hope you're having a good day.

Tammy - hope you aren't working too hard!

Coralee - yay for the cat feeder to be safely home, lol.

Trish - oh dear, I hope Tony's tests will all come out ok. Shingles pain can linger for awhile. This has to be a very stressful time for you. If you need to talk, just give me a buzz.

Hello to anyone reading this.

Well, the kids went home yesterday, and then I went grocery shopping and stocked up again, lol. Little munchkins went through the groceries like termites on a new board! One thing I bought is a package of Kashi Pumpkin Pie fruit and grain bars. They are new, and I love trying new OP products. I'll let you know if they're any good.

They weather yesterday was gorgeous! High of 82, and not much humidity, and a steady breeze. I sent it to all you gals to the east of me, lol. Today's weather is supposed to be nice, too.

Have a good day,
Closed Thread