Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Everyone,

Carol We had a similar situation years ago when we lived in FL. The company changed our credit card number and took the stuff off. When we were making reservations for our trip to FL a few months ago, they put a hold on our card until Tony called them. Then I remembered that when we made trips before, Tony had called to tell them we would be traveling and using the card. While appreciated the hold, I wish they had called us as the only way we learned about the hold was that one of phone company emailed us that they couldn't get their monthly payment. Glad your company called you and worked it out.

Coralee Glad you got your debit card straightened out. We do have to be soooo careful about scams these days.

Marylee I will keep you and your dh in my prayers. It isn't easy to see them go through these things. I'm going through some things with my dh now myself. Tony stays up late watching tv and doing his thing (his me time) and I worry that he might need me and I don't hear him as our bedroom is so far from the living room.

Linda Glad you didn't lose your power during the storm. It has been pretty hot here too. It is supposed to be hot today and then cooler the rest of the week and hopefully we are going to get the rain they keep saying we should get. We live just south of Charlotte and we must be in a valley because they get the rain and we don't. It seems to just go around us.

Jane Yes, I am convinced that WW is the woe for me. My BG was down 3 more pts this morning. Even by BP was down a little more. I have also dropped 2.5 lbs since starting WW. So I believe it has finally come together for me. We eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Doing more of what some call the Whole Foods woe, but I think WW calls it Filling Foods, but I still use the FLex pts. Enjoy your grands and the library Safari sounds like fun.

Well, today I'm going back to the beauty shop. I went back to my regular beautician. The perm the new one gave me didn't last a month, but I can't blame her as so much was going on with my system with the shingles, high BS/SP that I figure that was the problem. Since I can't use my right arm much to do my hair, beautician and I decided to do the Afro look so I can just pick it out. Then I will run by the store and pick up some more fruit. May not get to check in tomorrow, as Tony has a PET/CT scan early in the morning and then the Pulmonary doctor's office called and changed Tony's appointment from Friday to tomorrow. I just pray they find what is causing Tony all his problems and then are able to fix it. So I'll chack back here on Thursday.

Everybody have a great day.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #47  
GmaTo8

Just a quick pop-in to say, Colleen, this is the place! We are a friendly, supportive bunch and I hope you join us.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #48  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! We had another good day although the sun came and went. Any day without rain is an esp good day and I THINK we finally have summer here although it is more like spring compared to many parts of the US.

PT surprised us by coming today instead of tomorrow. I was glad as felt it's been too long already. He said they are really busy right now. He said my dh is doing well and he taught both of us a few tips and we have one new exercise to do. He said that Joe is still at high risk for a fall and refracture and recommended I still be standing by when he stands up.

I showed him our big bed (the one we share but Joe is currently not sleeping in) and he agreed it was too high for him. The PT was a very tall person and he said he had to kinda jump up on it...know the feeling...have no clue now why we bought it! A moment of weakness for sure...it is a comfortable mattress but we could have gotten it in low profile. Once it was at our house we wanted to exchange it but they wouldn't then. So we said, well when we get older and it's difficult to get into bed we will just drop the box springs and mattress down and will still have a beautiful bed. Well, guess what, today was the day!

Oh, that mattress was heavy..it's 18 or 20 inches deep with a pillow-top, plus the box springs. I wrestle with it a while but finally figured out how to do it and got it dropped. Then, because I want my dh on what is now my side, I had to move the end tables and each of our stuff to the other sides. I found so much dust on the bed frame, down where the huge mattress had hid it and I cleaned it all out. Yuck! The bedroom looks so nice now though.. and we love our "new" bed esp as starting tonight we can sleep together again! I switched our sides so that his good leg is next to me...wouldn't want to hurt his sore leg, but now it will be so much easier to quickly jump up and help him in the night. I think we will both sleep better.

So that was my exercise for today and I put off mowing the lawn for tomorrow. One thing at a time, I say.

Patty - Hope things are better back with your regular beauty operator. Oh, I need a haircut SO badly! I wear my gray hair very short in kind of a pixy style although instead of just coming forward, I am planning on keeping a little bit in front longer and allow it to fall down sideways to my ear. Not that long yet though. The rest I keep "little boy haircut" short, but right now it's a mess. Hopefully soon I can feel comfortable enough to leave my dh and go get it cut.

I recently did WW online just to get a better idea of the fat I was getting. It helped with that but I'm not continuing as I prefer to count calories only. But now I think about the points a little when I eat or look at labels and it helps keep my fat in line.

Jane - No, I have not found the $10 check! Can't imagine what I did with it! Crazy thing I got it by signing up for this service and that was part of the "good deal," so I messed that up, didn't I? But I'm still hoping to find it.

Yeah, I'm a list person too. I use grocerygame.com and it's very helpful. Pays for itself easily but you do have to be careful not to overbuy esp for us older couples that are on diets. I learned that the hard way.

That Safari thing sounds fun, Jane. I like to see the animals and the gk enjoy it too. My gk are scattered in three different states but we get together at least once a year to do things.

Good advice about not giving the gas station people your card before pumping gas. My dh does that at one store I know and told me to do it. I honestly didn't think about the danger, so thanks for reminding me. I'll go elsewhere next time. Coralee, sorry to hear about the debit card problem...hope it works out ok..seems like there are so many scams out there these days on and offline!

Cottage - Sounds like you work hard
! Don't think I could work like that any more. Sorry about the storms..glad your power didn't go out!! We rarely have storms here... I was raised in KS though so I remember bad storms there and don't like them!

Yes I do love my dh very much...I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful man to share my life with.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #49  
GmaTo8

Good morning,

Trish - sounds like you will be having a busy day today. I hope they find out what's going on with Tony. You are right about meds affecting a perm. I don't get them, but I have heard the stylists talking about that in the shop.

Mary - you sure did get your exercise yesterday, wrestling the mattress and box springs, and cleaning. Bet you got a lot better night's sleep, being next to your DH.

Hello to anyone else reading this.

The Silly Safari was fun for the kids, and the room was packed! Caylin got chosen to hold a baby alligator while the trainer told all about it. I accidentally left my camera memory stick in the computer, so I couldn't take pictures of that, but a woman from my church was there and took photos for me.

I've been enjoying all the fresh produce, and it's much easier to stay OP with all the healthful foods available. The cling-free peaches will be ready in about 3 weeks, and I can hardly wait for them!

Have a good day!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #50  

A quick flyby here. We are home from the PET scan DH had and going to rest before going to Pulmonary doctor this afternoon.

Jane Tony and I are enjoying fresh produce as well. A lady in our church came over yesterday and brought fresh tomatoes from her garden and some other produce she got at a local fruit stand. She told me it is the best in town. So when Tony feels like it, we will check it out. Any way, she brought corn, yellow squash, plums, and cukes. So I didn't have to go to the store to get anything.

Well, I've been up since 5 am so I'm going to take a nap.

Everyone else Have a great day today.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #51  

Hello to all! Just a quick note here as I posted a long one on the Golden thread.

Glad you are enjoying the produce. I love it too!
Despite my past eating of too much junk food, I have also eaten the healthy stuff and have always loved fruits and veggies. Have to limit the fruits due to diabetes now but eat all I can. I am really glad that I do enjoy veggies as it makes dieting easier! Nothing new to learn to like.

Jane - it was a lot easier having my dh close at night. Didn't get a lot of sleep though...not because of hanky-panky LOL...but because he has to get up a lot and I have to assist him. He thinks he can do it on his own but until he is less of a safety risk, I am there to provide stand-by assist at least. But we have only slept apart when one of us was away from home (usually him work related) so yes, it was good to have him in my bed again.

Patty - hope all goes well at the doctors.

Hoping everyone has a good day and stays on plan.

Last edited by maryea; 06-30-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning!

Mary, that sounds like you had a heck of a job maneuvering your mattress and boxsprings, but I'm glad you managed to get it done. I'm sure your DH feels much better being able to sleep in his own bed beside you. Isn't it amazing, the amount of dust that collects on the rails? I try to remember to clean mine at least twice a year, which reminds that I'm overdue!

Trish, I hope your DH's appointments went well. How are you doing these days? That was so nice of your friend to bring you fresh produce to enjoy!

Jane, it sounds like your granddaughters really enjoyed the Silly Safari. I suggested to Audrey & Maggie going to the traveling zoo that sets up every summer in a parking lot nearby, but they weren't interested this year. I think they've pretty much outgrown it, as there's the same stuff year after year. I think they want a visit to the real zoo in Philly, and we'll have to plan that one day.

My garden is producing so much zucchini and cucumbers that we're starting to give away our extras. We're anxiously awaiting our first ripe tomatoes, but it's still a bit early for that, and the string beans should be ready to pick in another week or two, too. I just love all the fresh produce that's available right now.
The heat and humidity are taking a break right now and giving us a few days of welcome relief. I'm thinking of packing a picnic lunch and our bikes and taking the girls to the park for the afternoon. It should be a perfect day for it.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #53  

Hi Everyone,

I'm running late today and it won't be long Tony will be getting up and ready to eat. So this will be a quick one.

The new Pulmonary doc has put Tony back on Lovenox for 8 days taking him off the coumadin for a few day as he will be doing a Bronchoscopy on Tony next Wednesday morning. There is a gland just outside of each lung just on each side of the esophagus and they are going to go down and take fluid out of each lymph gland and send it for biopsy. Doc said they want to know what caused the clots in the lungs and leg. So we do that Wednesday and get the results on Friday for that and the PET/CT scan Tony had yesterday. He was wiped out afte all that yesterday. So many instructions on how to do the Lovenox injections and coumadin when to stop and start etc that I took out a calendar and had the doc tell me as I wrote it all down. Tony seems to get confused on some thing these days and men never hear everything the doc says. That's why when they go to the doc by themselves, we women never get all that is said to them. Tony does the injections himself.

My BS was up in the 120s yesterday and today, but eating was off schedule although within pts and I read that stress adds to the problem and stress is very much a part of my life right now.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Hey y'all:
Just got back from spending a few days with my lady at her place. She has been complaining of ankle pain, but said: "Nurses don't do doctors." I told her that 'this one did'. She made the appointment and it was a good thing. Turns out she has arthritis and her ankle is pretty messed up. They put her in a boot to stabilize her, a follow up visit happens in 14 days. So I got my exercise in by helping with her mobility. She is a treasure, won't complain, and still is trying to do stuff. I had to put on my 'counselor hat' a few times. She does listen. A good thing.
Love seems to be good for me. I stayed OP during the month, even with the dreaded plateau.

Trish Nurses don't listen either which is why I was with her at the docs. . Hope that the test results provide needed information. You are in my thoughts.

Jane That library adventure reminds me of my Summer Reading Days. I
booked a lot of exotic animals for the kids. They were always so fascinated and were usually a great audience. (fun for me too)

Mary looks like you can add bed wrangler to your resume. Good to hear that you and the hubby can cuddle again. I am sure both of you can relax now that you are closer.

Linda I am sure your friends appreciate you sharing the fresh veggies. I bet some really healthy recipes are being used with the produce. It is cooler in Tampa too, but that is because we are overcast from the outer bands of Hurricane Alex.

A Florida 'hey' to anyone else who may be reading this.
Coralee

Last edited by chicpanda; 07-01-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: still can't type
Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #55  

Good morning everyone! It's a little overcast today and we are hoping for showers so I don't have to water. Was going to do it yesterday but since the showers were forecasted I waited...now I'm wondering whether those showers are coming.

Got a little more rest last night but my dh still has trouble getting comfortable. The home nurse called early this am and said she is coming this afternoon which we did not know. I think she will change his dressings...I would have today if she didn't. He is pretty much doing all his ambulation on his own now, with me just watching over. If we go outside, I have the gait belt on him and hover more just in case, but he is cautious and does well. He can even lift his leg a little now but sometimes needs help. The nurse said they will be discharging him from the nursing part of home care probably after this visit...not sure about the PT part.

My weight is continuing to drop slowly. As long as it is dropping I'm happy. I'm trying to limit myself to 1400 calories now that I am in the 50s.

He got a nice card from our church prayer team with them all writing on it. Also the youth minister called with offer for the teens to help but at this point I don't feel we need any help but it is nice that they offered and to know people care. I belong to one of the prayer groups and I know how those people pray and I'm thankful for them. One of his friends from church dropped in the other day and he enjoyed chatting and one of the pastors called and prayed with him too.

Patty and Chicpanda - know what you mean about having to go with people to doctor visits cause they don't listen well. When it is something important I go with my dh too and esp these days. I have always encouraged him to write down his questions before hand and then write down the answers. Patty sounds like a difficult time for your dh (and you) to say the least...I hope the doc can help him.

Hope you all having a good day!

Last edited by maryea; 07-01-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #56  
GmaTo8

Just a quick pop in to say hello.

I've been gone all day, and I'm beat! Have a good evening, and I'll try and post tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #57  

Just a quick hello this morning. Got a busy day. Have to go do Pre-Op for Tony's deal Wednesday. Then some shopping to do. He wants to go to Costco in Charlotte, but not sure we should do that right now. I think he needs to get past all he is going through before we do that.

Have a great day!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #58  
GmaTo8

Good morning!

Trish - how nice of the parishioner to bring you some produce. Neal goes to the doc every 6 months to check on is BP, and when he comes back, he never has anything to say about the visit. Men are like that, I guess, lol. If you go to Charlotte today, have fun.

Mary - I went through the same kind of caregiving after Neal's back surgury, and was happy to help him, but it left me exhausted! Try and get some rest when your DH does. I'm so glad you have a wonderful support system in your church. Ours is like that, too, and I am on the Prayer Team. YAY for your weight loss!

Coralee - I'm so happy for you, having found a life partner.

Hello to everyone else reading this.

Today I must clean and do laundry. Don't want to be stuck in the house over the holiday weekend, even though we don't have any specific plans. All of the kids are going with their in-laws or friends, but I'm not so sure I even want to make plans with others. The weather is supposed to be very hot, so we might just stay home.

Question: have any of you read the book, You Are What You Eat by Dr. Gillian McKeith? I bought it for the recipes she uses on her BBC television show.

Have a good Friday!

Last edited by Jane; 07-02-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #59  

Taking a quick afternoon break. I got quite a bit of weeding done...the yard debris container is overflowing so think I'm done with that until next week. It is raining pretty hard right now so they should grow well. LOL

Jane - It is hard work taking care of dh plus doing the yard work and the usual housework, but I'm actually holding up quite well...I'm really surprised at myself! I've always been more of an indoor person but I'm finding being outside more very invigorating. I'm actually enjoying it more than my gym classes! I honestly think I am even getting more housework done because I am being more physical in other ways and have more energy...spent too much time on the computer before. I am cautious though to not get hurt as he needs me. My son was worried I might overdue but I assured him I would not. I do take your advice and rest when my dh does.

I did laundry today too...have two more loads to do still.

We will definitely just be staying home on the 4th.

Don't think I have heard of that book you mentioned Jane, but I believe that is usually true...you are what you eat...even though it reminds me of a disgusting Stephen King story.....

Today my dh got a card from our senior group at the community city where we workout. Everyone has been so nice.

Have a good evening, everyone!

Last edited by maryea; 07-02-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #60  

Wishing everybody a great 4th of July weekend!!!

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-03-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Closed Thread