Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #106  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Where did you find this fitness test Isabella?

Quote:
Better yet do a fitness test like I did and you won't have the energy to walk to the kitchen. Catch you later.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #107  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning, All...
What a glorious day... warm and bright and sunny! It feels so good!

Nothing to report... all is well, and I'm still liking 2010!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #108  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Welcome, RayStar. Come and join us.

Bobbi, I've joined a weight loss/fitness challenge that's a spin off of the Canadian show X-Weighted. I don't think you can get access unless you register and it's open only to Canadians. But here's the link to the challenge. http://xweighted.ca/the-national-challenge . You can also see episodes of the show. I like it much better than The Biggest Loser as the weight loss is done at home.

I'll give you the run through anyway. There were four tests to be done consecutively without any breaks. We were to record our time and try and improve it in 6 months time

1. Lunges (or lunge jump lunge) 20 full lunges or 40 if you count each foot.

2. Squat shoulder press--Using 2 10 pound dumbbells (20 pounds for men) squat down almost touching the floor with the dumbbells. Stand up, raise dumbells to the shoulders and then raise overhead, return to shoulder height, then arms to the sides and repeat. Do 20.

3. Lay down, stand up. To do this you must lay down making sure your chest and hips are touching the floor, get up and stand up straight, repeat. Do 20 times. This is much harder than you think. As you become more proficient you can jump up.

4. Two foot jump. Lay a folded bath towel on the floor and using both feet together jump from side to side. Do 40 jumps (20 both sides).

It took me 12 minutes 20 seconds to do this and I'll tell you I'm sore today. I don't have 10 pound dumbbells so I improvised by duct taping 2 bottles of detergent together along with a 2 pound dumbbell. That gave me 10 pounds. Fortunately, I had 4 bottles of detergent and was able to make two "dumbbells." They were very awkward to use as the detergent kept moving about in the bottles. By the time I got to the 2 step jumps my legs were like jelly. I don't think I've ever felt that bad before in my life. I'm going to buy the 10 pound dumbbells and practice this test several times a week but not as many reps to begin.

I went for my walk today but didn't run as my legs felt like lead logs. Instead of doing my regular route I walked up to the highway and met DH at the gas station. We went to DS's place today where DH changed the brakes on DIL's car. When we got to DS's town we stopped and I got out at the highway and walked to his house so I got in just over 6 k today. It's just a little under what I usually do but that'll have to do. It's freezing cold out and I was glad to get inside today.

Hope you all had a great day. Sounds like you did Jess. Catch you all tomorrow if I can move out of bed. Soooo sore.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #109  
Donna

Good morning!
Isabella, I hope those muscles are softer today and that you can move without pain!

Can't believe I'm the first one on this morning (at 8:30!)... Everyone has such busy, busy, busy lives! Nothing much on the agenda today, at least scheduled! Pretty day... Oh, I made homemade lo mein last night. Yummy, but VERY salty, and the recipe definitely needs to be tweaked. I have lots frozen, because it makes a ton. Blah, blah, blah, and blah, yes?

Good day, all!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #110  
Bobbi

It's Monday morning and this thread should be lit up, where oh where art thou?
I took the 'Real Age' test last summer, before I started daily exercising on my stepper and was only a couple months younger than my real age, bummer!
I just took it again, this time around I added my daily exercises and what a difference 15-20 minute work-outs have made in my age. Instead of 63. 5 (last summer) I'm now 56.5. Some parts of the test wasn't accurate because they said I wasn't getting enough fiber. WHO, ME? I'm the fiber queen for gosh sakes. I averaged over 40 grams a day. The question was how much high fiber grains do you eat a day. I have at least 2 bowls of fiber one a day, a high fiber Flat out or Tortilla, etc. . Maybe since Fiber One is so high in fiber that I should have counted that as 4 servings? After I post this I'll go back and get the link if you want to take the test. Have your stats ready, blood pressure, cholesteral numbers, etc. You have to put all that information in.
Isabella......great work-out. Do you do this daily? If so, you're going to be really buff! I would flunk out just doing the first steps, lunges. My left knee wouldn't be able to take it, my stepper is really hard on it. I've got it set at the least resistence and it's still really hard and stiff. I break out a sweat instantly.
Lynn...I was thinking about you this morning and wondering how much weight you've lost since starting on your juicer plan? How's the cough and sore throat?
Oh, I forgot Isabella...very interesting information about Roosevelt & Churchill. This exercising across the country is turning out to be great history lessons as well as fun facts. I'm loving it, wish more of you would join in.
Quote:
During World War ll one of the cables at the station provided a private line of communication between President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Here is a link to the virtual museum
I had about 5 grams of banana bread. 30 grams = 1 oz. Just wanted to taste the recipe since it was a different one I usually use. I made it in those brownie pans that have sections. (18 sections). It was very convenient for hubby, he's eaten all but 4 pieces. I've decided to be more diligent in counting every thing going in my mouth, it sure does help me stay OP. I've taken off my extra weight and back to 127.5 this morning. It doesn't take long once I document the foods on Fitday. Hope you all stay OP this week, I can't remember who said shorts are around the corner. Yeah!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #111  
Isabella

Jess, I'm so sore yet. I'm taking Ibuprofen by the bowlful.

Bobbi, I'll not do that workout all together again for a long time. I can barely bend my knees and sitting is painful. But I am going to work up to it during the next 6 months so I can do it without any after pain. You did great on that real age test. I was watching some show last week and the participants were about 15-20 years older on a real life test they did. I can't remember what show I was watching. On another subject. I was looking at those sectional brownie pans. Give us the pros and cons of the pan as I was thinking of getting one.

Hey there, Lynn. How are you feeling today?

Although, I'm almost totally debilitated in sitting and standing I can still walk. I guess it's a different set of muscles. I do have some mild pain walking but nothing to stop me from my outside walk. What a shock this cold weather is after having such warm weather since Christmas. And the wind almost blew me backwards when walking into it and almost had to run when it was on my back. Last week the temps were about anywhere from 2 to 6 degrees C (36-43 F) and today it's -7 C (19.4 F). The wind made it feel colder until I worked up a good sweat.

Must go post my walk and my winter challenge. Have a good day, ladies. I'll check back later to see who else is chatting.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Hi Ladies, just popping by for a quickie, I'm still plugging away, so happy to see you don't get kicked out for lack of chatter!! I'd be kicked to the curb!! I do stop by, daily but no time to post personals, and you guessed it, no time right now either, should actually already be in the shower. So hope to stay longer next time, hope all is well and take care, and Brrrr....it's cold in PA, and I'm not alone I know that, stay warm!!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Hi Ladies, just popping by for a quickie, I'm still plugging away, so happy to see you don't get kicked out for lack of chatter!! I'd be kicked to the curb!! I do stop by, daily but no time to post personals, and you guessed it, no time right now either, should actually already be in the shower. So hope to stay longer next time, hope all is well and take care, and Brrrr....it's cold in PA, and I'm not alone I know that, stay warm!!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #114  

Height: 5'1"

Good Afternoon everyone,

It's snowing, again. And it's sticking. And we had a grand high of 17 today. i just got my heating bill, and I'm looking forward to some warmer weather!

RayStar, Welcome!!! I hope you visit us, become part of the gang! You won'g find a more caring bunch of people anywhere!

Donna, I'm feeling very envious of your warm, bright and sunny right now!

Lynn, I hope you and DD are doing ok.

Isabella, bobbi is right. That is one ambitious workout. I lift weights all the time and I did NOT start out with 10 lb. weights. You might want to go back down to 5 untill you get used to using them and then go up to 10. But Bobbi's right again, you will get buff. Such a difference in body shape.

Hi Sue, Don't worry about it. Stop by when you can!

Bobbi, I've got to take that test too. If i'm older than my age, you'll never hear about it! If it's good, I'll pass it along.

Z, I've been more hungry lately too. I'm blaming it on the steroids I had to take with the pneumonia, but it could just be the cold weather. Makes it hard to get through the evening. Thank God for popcorn!

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 01-11-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #115  
Donna

Hey, Rosie, is this your town? I'd never heard of your address, and I found this. It looks pretty!

50+ degrees today! NICE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NIKISKI.jpg (28.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #116  

Hi yes Jess thats where i live.. im about 2 miles from that oil refinery..its called Tesoro oil comp and my dh worked there for 17 yrs and retired..it is beautiful here rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 01-12-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good morning everyone,

I guess I'll live. Feel horrible, but at least I'm out of bed.

Bobbi, since I began veggie/juice... I gained about 5 lbs. However, I am NOT good with change - once I change one thing I change a LOT. Also, I began before the holidays. As soon as I feel better, I will again try to incorporate veggies/juicing into my lifestyle.

Lynn
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #118  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
Lynn...glad to see you're among the living. I remembered that you gain some from the liquid veggies, thought maybe you'd taken it back off.
Isabella...The sectioned brownie pan is great, I just have to remember to use it more. I was thinking yesterday to make some meat loaf in it, I'd just put the ingredients into Fitday and there would be no weighing the meat for servings. One section of meat would have the same amount of meat as all 18 sections. The corn bread turned out great in it.
Quote:
I was looking at those sectional brownie pans. Give us the pros and cons of the pan as I was thinking of getting one.
Institches, Sue? Gosh, I'm terrible with names. I think we all do the same, those of you that still work outside the home especially.
Quote:
I do stop by, daily but no time to post personals, and you guessed it, no time right now either, should actually already be in the shower.

Freda...I second that, popcorn is a life saver. I use the 'Kernel Season's' popcorn Spritzer and their flavored popcorn salts. The spritzer has no calories but helps the salt stick to the popcorn without getting it soggy.
Quote:
Thank God for popcorn!
Jess...Shut Up! I'd wear shorts if it's that warm.
Quote:
50+ degrees today! NICE
Hi Rosey....How's it going with you, the dogs and the neighbor? My hubby still says he'd put some buck shot in the vicious dogs butt! That wouldn't kill it, just put a reminder to stay out of your yard.
Hi Karen, Zoe, who am I missing? Donna, Raystar!

Anyone in the mood for pancakes? I'm going to make these tonight with some substitues, applesauce instead of the oil, egg beaters, splenda and part whole wheat flour. I'm make DH his regular pepper bacon (to die for) and I'll eat the turkey cardboard kind.

Quote:
Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
16 pancakes
INGREDIENTS:1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/4 cup Pure Canola Oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
PREPARATION DIRECTIONS:1.WHISK flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in buttermilk, pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended.
2.SPRAY a large nonstick griddle or skillet with no-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
3.POUR batter by scant 1/3 cupfuls into skillet, working in batches. Cook until bubbles form on surface of pancakes and bottoms are lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying skillet with no-stick cooking spray between batches as needed.
4.SERVE warm with syrup.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #119  
Donna

Good Morning!
Bobbi, be a sport! After all the snow and cold we've had here this year, we DESERVE some nice weather for a change... besides, we're due for more icky poo in a couple of days, but then it'll be warm again! Good ol' Colorado!

I'm totally out of control and am gobbling everything in sight. I think the kitchen is almost bare, though, so maybe I can get back on track. Lynn, I think your weight gain has to do with your being sickly. I would bet that once you recover, are feeling well, and your body starts behaving as it should, you'll lose those pounds! I don't have an excuse, except for the Oinkiness Factor.

Onward and, I hope, downward! Everyone, good day!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #120  
Isabella

Good afternoon ladies.

Bobbi thanks for the critique of the sectional brownie pan. I think I'll purchase one next time I'm in the city. That's where I saw them. And pancakes sound so good. Yum, I just love them.

Sue, I think I saw a blur when you whizzed through. Ha, ha.

Freda, I'm not doing that fitness test every day. I'm still stiff and sore from doing it Saturday night. I'm going to build up to doing it again in 6 months and try and beat my time and obviously my fitness level which is down in the basement for those activities. It's funny though, I lifted the 10 pound weights (though barely) and my arms are fine. Must be the push-ups I'm doing that have my arms more conditioned than my legs.

Rosey, Alaska looks a lot like Newfoundland. Lots of conifer forest.

Lynn!!! You're looking better this morning. Each day you'll feel better. I noticed you didn't get any "walking" done since Friday. A bad cold can really knock you out for a few days.

Jess, some days I could eat everything in sight including the pattern on the plate.

I walked this morning but didn't get in a full walk. This afternoon I'm driving my neighbor to the medical clinic and while she's in there I'm going to walk around the complex--round and round. She wants to get there early so that will give me a few more minutes to walk because whoever heard of getting in to see a doctor early? As I stated above, I'm still sore and stiff but better than yesterday. I can now go up and down stairs without crying on each step and asking DH if the steps are higher than last week. I was down and up several times today without undue stress. Getting off the couch is better too and I can finally face the toilet (or should I say "moon" the toilet) without too much pain.

Must go eat my yogurt and wash a few dishes before I go out. Have a good day chickies.
Closed Thread