Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #211  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Omigawd! I feel like I'm on vacation! Only a two-day (normal) weekend, but DH is spending the next two days (Saturday & Sunday) doing an orientation at Old Sturbridge Village, where he is going to be one of those "living history interpretors" several days a week. I am SO delighted!!!!! I am alone at last! Oh, I know how selfish that must sound, and I would certainly miss him if I didn't have him, but the fact of the matter is that I NEVER, EVER have a time to myself at home anymore. I mean, never. IF he has things to do, he does them all while I'm at work so that he's ALWAYS home waiting when I get home. Of course, I've blathered on about this before, so I won't say much more about it now, but I have just made another pot of coffee for myself and am about to soak my feet and give myself a nice, thorough pedicure. I DO have to do some grocery shopping, but don't have to rush at all.
Lynn, here I am.....just working and tired all week. Sometimes I feel like I just can't come up with another new idea to write, or anything more to say about all the wonderful things my organization does so that funders will love us and continue their support at higher and higher levels. I was in the midst of budget battles all week long over how much I wanted allocated for staff training, etc., etc. Blah. ANYWAY, my dear woman, I had no idea that the Revolutionary War archives were so handy to you. Perhaps I'll drop a name or two the next time you plan to be over there.
Glad to see that you're back in the ballgame, Karen...I know how it feels to cut loose, AND I know how it feels when you get things back under control again. (good).
Good for YOU, Donna...don't I know how grueling it is to see those pounds come off ounce by ounce and slow as molasses? I think we have to give ourselves credit that we're hanging in there and sticking with it, you know?
Bobbi, THANKYOU - especially for the reminder about yogurt! I had forgotten about the calcium content, which is especially good for women (me) of a certain age.....I hope you haven't lost your electricity! I'm joining Lynn in sending POWERFUL vibes your way....
Isabella, truer words were never spoken.....about one DH being enough, I mean....at a TIME, anyway...
Hi Freda! Oh, we know you'll be back to exercising soon once you get that foot fully healed up and flexible again. In fact, you'll probably be exercising more strenuously than me...oops....if you're exercising at ALL, you're exercising more strenuously that me at the moment. I'm ashamed of myself, and that's the truth!
Rosey, that sounds like a tasty drink...mostly I do black cawfee, myself. Got used to it years ago when I was on the Atkins diet, and never moved past the cawfee part even though I managed to leave that diet in the dust...
Linda...that's what I mean about exercise...no sooner do you start doing it when they start telling you that you've got to do it certain ways at certain times....like that rotten Wii Fit of my DH's....I just HATE being dictated to, which is why I don't exercise...okay, not exactly, but that's MOSTLY why...what? Me? Lazy???? Tsk.
Okay, off to my pedicure, ladies....

Z
Old 01-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #212  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, Lovely Ones!

I thought you might enjoy this:

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Gorgeous day today! I think I'll do a bit of domestic drudgery and then go outside for a bit! It's too pretty to not enjoy it! Status quo with EVERYTHING! Bah!

Have a safe weekend!

Last edited by jess1; 01-23-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #213  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Everyone put a can of wasp spray on your list, like right now!

Quote:
If you don't have a gun,

here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you.

Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before.

I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray A friend who is

a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them
when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a

can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract

attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.
Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman inToledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High

School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach

them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than
mace or pepper spray.The wasp cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so
if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the wasp spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police;

maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people in your life...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #214  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all,

I always learn something here. Diet, practical...something.

Bobbi, My friend keeps Bear repelent on her bedside table, instead of the wasp spray. According to her it sprays a longer distance, and if it can drop a bear it can drop anything! And you can find it at any sports store.

Z, I am setting her SO green with envy!! An ENTIRE weekend? Enjoy every moment! And I am exercising some. I'm lifting weights e/o day. We do what we can, when we can.

Lynn, Good luck with the new diet. Being low carb it should work well for you. I may even look into it myself. Like you said, something different. Anyway, I pick and choose different things from different diets.

Linda, I think exercise is exercise, no matter when you do it. Don't sweat the small stuff. You do what you can, when you can.

Donna, I read that as quickly as I could read something spelled correctly. Is that why my spelling is so bad?

Isabella, the problem with weighing every day is, you see the natucal ups and downs and they discourage you. You would have had to eat 1500 calories over what you USUALLY eat to gain 1/2 pound. Cutting back a little the next day will take care of the small gain.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 01-23-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #215  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Freda, I was back down to 135 this morning. No loss for the week but no gain. It's coming off really slow now. I don't weigh every day but thought I'd better check and see what damage I'd done after the baby shower.

Bobbi
, I could use wasp spray for wasps. We always have them buzzing around late summer. I could just keep it handy for the 2-legged kind, just in case.

Donna, I was able to read that without any trouble. But I taught Grade 1 for years and it just looked like a grade 1 journal.

Zoe, enjoy your "holiday" as it will end on Monday. So does this mean you get a free pass at the village when you visit? What character will your husband portray?

Rosey
, that's great to get exercising. I have a friend with MS and she's confined to a wheel chair. She asked me last week to help her with a diet and some exercise. This last year she must have gained about 50 pounds and she's having difficulty fitting in her chair.

Linda, I just exercise when I can. I do some lifting with dumb bells but I only do that every other day to let the muscles time to rest and heal (if necessary). I find that doing push-ups off the counter or wall has been very productive for my arms. I have a little definition to them and can make a small muscle. But I ain't no Popeye, yet! (Pardon the double negative and bad grammar.)

Lynn, did you have a good day researching your relatives?

It's a really nice day today. I want DH to go for a short walk with me but he's sawing logs, zzzzzzzzzz. I should giggle him a little and see if he wakes up.

Catch you all later. Hope everyone has a pleasant weekend.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #216  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, I had no idea that the Revolutionary War archives were so handy to you. Perhaps I'll drop a name or two the next time you plan to be over there. Z
ANYtime. I could REALLY walk from my house to there. PM some names to me & I'll see what I can find. Typically, I need name, birthplace/date; spouse's name; state he was in during the War of the Revolution.

Lynn
Old 01-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #217  

Isabella, I found stuff on 2 of the 4 ancestors - a GOOD research day!

Karen, I bought the book - will let you know whether or not I will try it.

Bobbi, One of my online friends (a fellow teacher at UoP) has a violent student in her HS classroom who has attacked her and several students on multiple occassions. District regulations do not allow teachers to keep mace. I told her about the wasp spray.

Lynn
Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #218  
Donna

OMG, Lynn, I can just imagine the outrage if someone actually used wasp spray on recalcitrant students.... I'm just SURE it isn't politically correct! Not only will wasps be offended, but WASPS might be, too, since everyone has an opinion on everything!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #219  

Height: 5'8"

Hello everyone..

I weigh myself first thing in the morning. I want to do that on Tuesdays only but I can't stop doing it the rest of the week too! Well, maybe when I hit a plateau the novelty will wear off! This morning I weighed a pound less.

I am so tempted to exceed my calorie count tonight. If I exercise 30 minutes and burn 170 calories (my bike claims that's how much I burn) does it mean I can eat another 170 calories over 1200? Or... should I quit thinking about cheating on the diet?

LOL... I have so much to learn.

I have an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War but I have no idea where he lived or what his name was.

Linda

Last edited by ToBThinAgain; 01-24-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #220  

Good Morning,

OK - got better & gained back the 3 lbs. I lost with the flu!

Starting Karen's "Crack the Fat-Loss Code" program today. I don't believe in any magic benefits - however, this program will ABSOLUTELY reduce calories, get rid of fluid, and result in a fast weight loss. I need something new. Have been stuck in the 150's for 2 years!

My DD has 3 more days of this horror to go. Wednesday is my surgery & her last day of treatment. As we learned from last time, the week following the treatment is the worst week of this whole thing. Will be VERY glad when this thing is OVER!

Looks like we're about to have a heavy storm in this part of the world. Predictions are for 3 inches + flooding. I am up on a hill, but MANY houses in my town are between a canal and the river and suffer terrible flooding.

Bobbi, do you still have electricity?

Lynn
Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #221  
Donna

Good Morning, All...

Lynn, good thoughts and prayers for your daughter!

Looks like Colorado is the only mild place to be... the mountains, of course, are getting two or more FEET of snow, but we on the Plains are dry, dry, dry. My back yard is still covered with snow, though, never has melted. I hope all of you have back up generators, candles, stoves, blankets, afghans, and much yummy food to tide you over until summer arrives!

Linda, a word of warning from one who knows this so well? Don't obsess, if you can. The ladies warned me, and in fact ordered me, to not weigh myself daily because it was making me crazier, and that was good advice. Just relax, do the best you can, and you, too, will someday be totally stuck on a plateau, thus cultivating your patience virtues!

Have a lovely Sunday... be safe!

Last edited by jess1; 01-24-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #222  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

I am still loving "Crack the Fat Loss Code" I still show only the 5 pound loss but am excited that was for the first week. I wish I knew more about it and there was a thread here for it but I just don't know enough about it to be able to answer questions and make suggestions. But there is thread with lots of "smart" people that are doing this but it is on another site. I WILL NEVER GIVE UP MY 3FC but I have had to go over there for information and recipes. This just looks like something that will be very doable for me. I will still show weight loss here on my tracker and let you know how things are progressing. Maybe before too long someone will open another thread for it here.

Have a Great Sunday afternoon.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #223  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

OhhhhNoooooo!!!! Where is Bobbi? I HOPE you still have electricity, dear chicklet, but I'm afraid that maybe you don't. Well, thinking of you, and if it IS out, hoping it gets restored quickly. Lynn? You okay? Donna? Hmmm. VERY inactive morning around here. I'm at work (ugh) and it's raining steadily, but warm - like over 40 degrees. Rather strange, but warm enough to melt a lot of the ice we had left from that last storm, so that's a good thing...it IS very windy of course, so the 'Pike will be a little bit challenging as it always is when there are heavy winds. Sometimes you can actually feel it blowing your car sideways. Kind of disconcerting, but I'm pretty used to it by now. I have approximately 27 months before I can retire (comfortably, I mean - I COULD retire now, but it seems kind of silly considering that in 27 months, my SS payment will be @ $500 more, and why let the govmt. keep that every month if I could be getting it, right?). Oh, blah. Nobody wants to hear my kvetching about how long it's going to be before my time is my own again....I bet you'd rather hear me kvetch about how absolutely rotten my eating was over the weekend. I just don't KNOW what's wrong with me lately! Okay, started fresh this morning. I'm taking Bobbi's advice about the yogurt and mixing it with Fiber One cereal instead of oatmeal for breakfast. Tastes fine and is just as filling as the oatmeal, so that's a good thing. I plan on being very careful about what I put in my mouth this week; no more slipping up for THIS chick...I'd like to not look like a stuffed sausage when summer rolls around this year.
Okay - gotta go - have a terrific day, everyone!
Ooops...smilies aren't working, it seems.
SO, <group hug>
Z
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #224  
Donna

Good morning, All!

And, particularly, to Zoe, who is, I think, my psychic twin! You're talking about retiring, and I'm 95% sure that I'm HIRED for a job that will start on Monday. I'm 61... what is WRONG with this picture?? I worked in the public sector most of my life (PERA, not social security) so my SS payment would be a pittance... and there's still a mortgage. I've been self employed for the last 14 years... bottom line, I need some stability, so I'm heighing this big ol' butt back into the work force (I think).

I also am being your twin, in that I plan to be very careful about what I put in my mouth this week; no more slipping!!! I don't know what's been going on with me, and it isn't just self indulgence. That's part of it, I know, but there has to be something else going on. Anyway, for the 8th time this month alone, this is IT.

Domestic drudgery calls. I hope this is a lovely and productive week for all of you! Stay warm and safe. Lynn, good thoughts continue!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #225  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Ah, girls I join the ranks of rotten eaters. I got into the left-over Christmas cake Sunday night after supper. I hardly ate any during Christmas but I made up for it last night. I'd throw it out but....it cost money to make it and my SIL is coming for supper and wants the cherry cake, although she could certainly pass on that but who am I to judge after my many mouthfuls last night. Even though I had enough cake for a family of 4 or 5 I wasn't over calories a great amount because we managed to have only 2 meals yesterday. We ate breakfast a bit later than usual and then after I walked I got a bit busy at stuff and then DH asked me to help bring in wood, then we went to MIL's for a while so DH could make a few splits (kindling wood) for her. On the way home I realized it was almost 4 pm and we hadn't had lunch or dinner and thought that explained my sudden need for food. We had a perfectly healthy meal and then the cake called my name...sigh...It was good though. Food usually tastes way too good.

Zoe & Donna, my sister has 5 more years til retirement when she's 60. I was able to retire when I was 54. I could have worked longer and had a little more in my teacher's pension but I walked away from the classroom. I'm going to take my Canada Pension when I turn 60 which is 5 years early but it will give me 5 years full teacher's pension and the Can. Pension together. When I turn 65 I'll get Canadian Old Age Pension (everyone gets this), Canada Pension and teacher's pension but there will be claw backs on the teacher's Canada pension and I won't get the supplement with the OAP because my income will be too high (as the supplement is mainly to give pensioners who have only the old age pension a boost to their income). We haven't had a mortgage in years and we burn mostly wood (which is much cheaper than oil or electricity where I live). So our expenses are few, especially since the boys have moved on to their own families. We live comfortably but not richly, although we can purchase anything we want.

Karen, have you looked in Diet Central on 3FC for information on your diet? Maybe there's a thread there or you could start one.

Lynn, did you get that storm? I hope the road conditions won't keep you from keeping your appointment of Wednesday. Thinking of both you and your DD at this time.

Linda, step away from the scales!!! If they are driving you crazy put them in the cupboard and take them out only on your weigh in day. And don't eat more just because you exercise because you'll end up maintaining instead of losing.

We've got another gorgeous but cold day here. I can't believe we don't have enough snow to scape together a snowball. Well, we do have that much but hardly any. It's almost a winter drought. If we don't get more snow (dreaded thought as that may be) we'll have water shortages in the summer. That sounds strange as Newfoundland is full of ponds, lakes and rivers and is surrounded by water but it happens. I don't think anyone has had their snowmobiles out yet this year. I see ATV tracks in the woods and by the side of the road but not snowmobile tracks. But, this is great walking weather. I've only missed 3 days this months and 2 of those were rainy at the beginning of the month and the other one was because I busy.

I've got to stop doing unscheduled baking. I'm starting to stockpile desserts in the freezer and we'll never get through them all (unless I have another Sunday night incident).

And a big hellow to everyone to whom I have not spoken.

Must go do something other than bake. Dishes might be good. Have a great day.
Closed Thread