Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #136  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning, All!
Lynn, I'm so glad you're okay! It seems that we've talked about the Vicks on the bottom of the soles for coughing? It would be better than codeine! Take care of yourself!!!

Yes, Zoe, I'm a good girl now, too. It was a temporary aberration of unbridled indulgence... all is okay now. It is!

Beautiful day today, warmish. I have a load of errands to run and so should get to them! Everyone, be well!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #137  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good tips here!
Quote:
12 Simple Sore Throat Remedies
Here are a dozen home remedies to help soothe and get rid of sore throats, these are simple to whip up and treat yourself with–nothing too fancy for ingredients and you likely have many of these items in stock at home.

1.Cayenne Pepper Gargle: Mix 1/8th of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper with 1/2 cup warm water, gargle with this frequently throughout the day.
2.Salt Water Gargle: Add 1 teaspoon of table salt to a cupful of warm water, gargle with this every other hour or so.
3.Apple Cider Vinegar Gargle: Mix 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with a cup of warm water, gargle every hour.
4.Ginger Tea: Make a strong tea with freshly grated ginger (about 3 teaspoons per cup of boiling water), steep for about 5 minutes then stir in a spoonful of honey and sip.
5.Thyme Tea Gargle: Sooth a sore throat with thyme tea. Brew 1 tablespoon dried thyme in 1 cup boiling water. Strain then gargle. From 23 Home Remedies From The Spice Rack.
6.Honey & Lemon Tea: Mix two teaspoons honey and 1 teaspoon lemon juice with one cup of boiling hot water. Allow to cool a bit then drink to soothe throat.
7.Licorice Root Tea: Brew a tea made with licorice roots (one or two pieces per cup) and sip. You can also brew licorice tea bags or chew on a piece of licorice root to help relieve the pain. Licorice root can affect blood pressure if too much is consumed, not recommended for those who are pregnant or have high blood pressure.
8.Cloves: To relieve a sore throat, slowly chew on a few cloves.
9.Green Tea: Sipping a cuppa green tea can help soothe a sore throat, but gargling with it is also recommended since it naturally fights infections. See Tipnut’s Guide To Green Tea for more info on the health benefits of green tea.
10.Baking Soda & Salt Gargle: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of each baking soda and salt with a 1/2 cup of warm water and gargle a few times each day.
11.Chamomile Tea: Drink chamomile tea to soothe sore throats, best to start as soon as you feel one coming on.
12.Hydrogen Peroxide: Gargle 3% hydrogen peroxide to fight the throat infection. If the taste is too much for you, dilute with some water first (about 50/50).
Old 01-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good tips here!
I was actually doing 2 of these - gargling with salt water & drinking chamomile tea. Also - honey. Took care of the sore throat - but not the cough.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #139  
Donna

Bobbi, good list of tips... thanks! I'll print that list.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #140  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Lynn, glad you're home again.

I've got to go to bed. I was shopping all afternoon and I was up early to walk this morning. I'm tired and sleepy so, I'll say goodnight instead of hello.

Catch you all tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #141  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Checking in.....doing fine so far in combatting my bout of appetititis. I seem to have eaten my fill - finally - and have lost those unhealthy and obsessive cravings of mine for junk. Glad you're back OP, too, Donna. I'm sure you're feeling a lot better, as am I.
In addition to those things on Bobbi's list, Lynn, you might want to give something called Ivy Calm a try, Lynn. You can Google it - it's sold under a number of different brands and brand names. A friend recommended it to me about ten years back when I couldn't get rid of a particularly persistent cough, and it really did the trick. That was after my doctor had even put me on steroids with no success. Ivy Calm is made from the leaves of English Ivy, and seems to contain some ingredient that soothes a cough like nothing else I've ever tried. I hadn't remembered it until I saw Bobbi's list of natural cough remedies.
Okay, gotta run, but am thinking of you all, and really appreciate the reality checks about my nighttime grazing/bingeing problems!

Z
Old 01-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #142  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Bad news: something woke me up at 3:00 this morning and I haven't been able to get back to sleep.
Good news: I'm not hungry.
Have a great day, everybody! <yawn>
Z
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #143  
Bobbi

It's balmy today in Minnesota, the ice on our gravel road is still intact, darn. I'm going to sew a new cover for my sewing machine today, need to cover it up since our re-modeling is still in progress. The carpenters haven't started yet but the cabinet maker finally got over here yesterday and will get us a quote by Monday.
We're remodeling the basement bathroom also, we'll get our money back when we sell our home down the road. How many of you are still in your own homes? Living on an acreage has been wonderful but each year it gets harder and harder with all the work. DH does most of it but if something should happen to him, I'd not be able to keep up the yard myself. Plus I'd be lonely way out here in the sticks by myself.
You all have a great day!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #144  

Good Morning Everyone,

Boy, you never realize how much you take breathing for granted until you can't do it! Like Zoe, I also had trouble sleeping - between fighting to get air through my nose and coughing, I kept waking up - drove my cats out of my bedroom!

I'm up and dressed, but that's about it. Will go visit my DD later - she's in the 2nd of 3 weeks of the face chemo treatment & is REALLY hurting. I hope I'll be able to distract her for a bit.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #145  

Good Morning everyone,

Lynn, So glad that you're feeling a bit better. I hope you find something to ease that cough soon. My mom always swore by her toddy. Whiskey, lemon and honey and a bit of pepperment candy. I Pray that your daughter gets better soon also. So hard for a mother to watch a child suffer. We would gladly take the pain ourselves, but that isn't possible, so we comfort any way we can.

Z, we had the same disease, appetitus. Mine is finally calming down too. About time. I always say I'm never taking steroids again, but things come up and they are a necessity.

Bobbi, we're still in our home and hope to be for a long while. It's one story and I have a first floor laundry room. Hopefully that will make it easier for some time. I wish for a place with some land for a garden, but I know the time comes when it's a burden. You make decisions when the time comes. We're in the re-decorating mood too. Stripped the old wallpaper from the small bathroom and repainted and the larger bathroom is next. they just need a bit of freshening up.

Donna, I'm taking your advice and staying well!!

Freda
Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #146  
Donna

Good Morning, All...
We're a pretty stable group, aren't we? I've been in my little house for 25 years and figure I'll just skulk out in the dark of night when the time comes... I can't even imagine sorting and packing 25 years worth of STUFF. I'd love to see pictures of all the remodeling, Bobbi and Freda.

Lynn, I do hope your life calms! I hope you're feeling better and that your DD is feeling MUCH better! So many good thoughts for you both!

Another balmy day in the making. Zoe, yes, I think I had to go through the Oinkiness, because things seem to have calmed down considerably! I'm where I was before the temporary insanity, and it should start moving downward again. My leg has been bothering me a lot lately, so I'm FORCED to do some exercise just to stretch it. That should help, too.

Be well, everyone!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #147  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello. The weather is blah. No sun in sight but mild.

Bobbi, we're living in the same house nearly 32 years. DH has threatened to sell since we've been married but here we are, still here. Our "acreage" is70'x100' so not much work on the old estate. I keep joking with DH when he comes in from cleaning the yard that he was out riding the estate.

Here's a sore throat remedy that my mother used on us as kids and I used on my kids. Take a piece of cotton cloth long enough to wrap around the neck and wring it out in cold water. Apply to the throat by wrapping it around loosely. Then cover that with a warm scarf or something similar. Pin in place and leave it there until the cloth becomes warm and comfortable. Mom would put that on us going to bed and in the morning our throats would be better (most of the time). I suffered with tonsillitis so sometimes only medication would work. Finally got the offending things out when I was 19.

Hope everyone survived the day (I've been exercising) and are looking forward to a good weekend.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #148  

A great remedy for a sore throat is fresh pineapple. Something about the emzymes. strange, but it works really well. Learned this trick from my DIL's grandma
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #149  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
No time to chat today, we're on our way into town again. We're headed to Home Depot to pick out two bathroom sinks, one for the master bathroom and one for the basement bathroom. DH transfered some money out of the saving yesterday to cover all our projects. That's one great thing about getting old, money isn't scarce like it was when we were younger. Gosh, I remember going to the grocery store with a very limited amount of money, purchased only things on sale and clipped coupons. HaHa, we still clip coupons, think that was ingrained in us from years ago. Gotta go, you all have a great day.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #150  

Uh-oh! I guess I'm the group nomad. I can't even count all the places I've lived. I think about 10 places. I've lived in the condo I'm in right now for about 6 years & I'm ready to get out of here.

Just waiting for my DD & SIL to sell their B&B and see where they end up. If they go to FL, I will probably rent a condo down there for the winter & move closer to my sister and friend for the summer.

Lynn
Closed Thread