Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi Isabella, They did have a thread started but then the person who started it had several different sites going and decided to close this one.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb...ry-2010-a.html

They also had a recipe thread started before they closed it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb...ollection.html

So for now I have moved over to this other site JUST for the Crack the Fat Loss Code. I don't know enough about it to start a thread and just want to be able to follow for now.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #227  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi All!
We didn't lose electricity during our ice storm, now it's snowing and we have 50 mile per hour winds. The schools are all closing early, I feel sorry for the bus drivers that have to drive kids home in the country. Zero visibility out here. I took a picture of our back yard, many branches are down.
Isabella...I retired at 52, our house was paid for too and we only have my DH's new Jeep payment per month. We live pretty cheap, our house is well insulated and retains the heat. Our large garden provides most of our veggies, this year DH put all our garden carrots in a big bucket of sand. WOW, this is the best they've kept without refrigeration. Hubby requested the strangest supper for tonight. He wants toast, sausage patties and Cream of Wheat? I just finished putting the sausage patties together using a home made recipe, elk instead of pork or chicken.
I ran across a Omaha Steaks gift certificate hubby got for Christmas, $25.00. I decided to go on line and use it, what a farce! I found 4 marinated salmon steaks on sale for $29.99 plus $15.00 shipping. So we ended up charging $18.99 on our credit card after using the $25.00 gift card. I'm going to tell DD not to buy her dad that again, it would work if we had a local Omaha outlet. We'd have to drive to Minnespolis to redeem it, about 100 miles. O.k. enough *****ing, back to work.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

It is an ugly - rainy day here. Took my DD to the doctor & pharmacy.

I'm on my 2nd day of week 1 of the Crack the Code diet. VERY low carb (no more than 20 net g of carbs). Supposedly, this will "re-set" metabolism. We'll see.

Bobbi, Omaha steaks are DELICIOUS! We actually have one outside of Philadelphia.

Take care,

Lynn
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #229  

Height: 5'8"

Lynn, I am so not in the loop about your daughter because I don't know what this surgery is for, but I wish her all the best for healthier days and a fast recovery!

Donna, thanks for the no-obsessing advice. I am looking forward to my first plateau with you. NOT! In the past my diets floundered and failed because of plateaus. I'm hoping that this time I can make my way through them with the help of people on this message board.

I have been visited by the snow monster this week... here in the Klamath-Siskiyou Mountains of Northern California.

Isabella, I took your advice and started eating oatmeal again. I remember you put flax seed meal in. And cream of wheat? What else? (My dog, Bear, loves oatmeal leftovers.)

Only one more post until I have a signature line?

Linda
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #230  

Good Morning all,

Karen and Lynn, I'm looking into that new diet. I really like counting calories and it works well for me, but i'm always looking for new ideas. I "stole" the idea of olive oil and dark chocolate from the flat belly diet that Bobbi was doing before.

Lynn, Prayers for you and your daughter. I know you will be so relieved when it's over and she is feeling well again. so hard to see your children in pain.

Linda, May the "plateau" demon pass you buy. But in case he doesn't, just remember, it does pass. just about the time you're ready to throw up your hands and quit, the weight loss will start again. I eat oatmeal all the time too. Yummy. And you can "fancy" it up so many ways. I put flax seed always and then add chopped apple, raisins, cinnamon (stabalizes blood sugar), chopped walnuts...the list is as wide as your imigination.

Bobbi, LOVE Omaha steaks! I have to order them too, but they are worth every cent. Your back yard is so pretty!

Isabella, Like you, when I forget to eat and get too hungry, I crave carbs. And I tend to over eat. Bad things! So, I really try to not let that much time go between meals. And I carry snacks in the car.

Donna, any news about the job yet? I'm still working, i've got 3 more years, or 2 years and 11 months, but who's counting.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 01-26-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #231  

Good Morning, Everyone,

It’s a BEAUTIFUL day here in PA. Tomorrow is our BIG day - last day of my DD's chemotherapy and my 2nd cataract surgery. After that, it's just about the recovery.

I won’t be able to exercise for a couple of days – probably can get back to the gym by Saturday. However, that kind of fits in with the new diet – not really supposed to exercise much for the 1st week (VERY low-carb week). I am losing weight quickly, but, my calories have been reduced & I know that there is a quick fluid loss in the beginning of low-carb diets. The true test will be when I start adding carbs/calories in future weeks. Supposedly, this way of eating will speed up my metabolism – we’ll see. At least it is something new. I was getting too stuck in a rut. Good to change things up once in a while.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #232  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I don't usually bake with Splenda, they don't turn out as good as real sugar...........now I know why. We're not diabetic but this might help for those that are or your spouses.
Quote:
HOW TO SUBSTITUTE SPLENDA® Granulated FOR SUGAR IN YOUR OWN RECIPE
All SPLENDA
Confections
In recipes where the amount of sugar is quite high, sugar often contributes significantly to structure and texture.
Frosting, candy, fudge, caramel, pecan pies, angel food or pound cake:
For best results, only replace about 25% of the sugar required with SPLENDA® Granulated instead of a full sugar replacement.
Volume / Height
You may notice a smaller yield when substituting SPLENDA® Granulated for sugar. In some cases, cakes and quick breads will not rise as high as their full-sugar counterparts, but they will still taste delicious!
To achieve a better rise:
Switch from 9" round pans to 8" round pans with 2" sides. Also, try adding 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 1 cup of SPLENDA® Granulated.
Creaming
When creaming butter or margarine with SPLENDA® Granulated, your mixture will appear less smooth than with sugar, and may separate upon the addition of eggs. This is normal and you should continue following the recipe instructions
Texture
Cookies often rely on brown sugar for their chewy, crunchy texture. To retain the texture, replace only the white granulated sugar in your cookie recipes. You can also try replacing a bit less of the total sugar or by using SPLENDA ® Sugar Blend. Don't forget -you need only half as much SPLENDA ® Sugar Blend as the amount of sugar called for in your recipe. Only 1/2 cup is needed to replace 1 cup of pure sugar. You may need to flatten the cookies before baking to aid spreading. Jams, jellies, puddings and custards, when made with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, may be slightly thinner or soft-set. See Storage.
Flavor
For cookies, puddings and custards, use an additional teaspoon of vanilla extract per one cup of SPLENDA® Granulated to enhance flavor. For quick breads and muffins, add one or two tablespoons of honey or molasses to boost flavor and provide some moistness.
Yeast Activation
SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener will not activate yeast. Maintain at least two teaspoons of sugar in recipes calling for yeast and replace the remaining sugar with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener.
Browning
In the baking process, sugar caramelizes to produce the familiar golden brown color of baked goods.
Baked goods made with little or no sugar do not brown like recipes made with sugar.
To help achieve a more golden brown color when baking with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, lightly spray the batter or dough with cooking spray just before placing in the oven.
Bake times
Your baked goods made with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener may bake more quickly than those made with sugar.
•Cakes: Check 7-10 minutes before the original recipe's expected bake time.
•Cookies, brownies and quick breads: : Check 3-5 minutes before the original recipe's expected bake time.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #233  

Hi Bobbi,

I have a Splenda cookbook & so far, everything has turned out pretty good.

Lynn
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #234  
Bobbi

I had one also but sold off about 100 cookbooks last summer, including the Splenda one. I love cookbooks but just didn't take the time to use them. My favorite site is the recipes.com site and that almost daily.
Albert Lea is where we went to school and do all our shopping, it's where interstate 35 and 90 cross each other. Last night both were closed because of zero visibility and 50 mile hour winds. Last night I was feeling so smug when the wind was howling and I wasn't out in that terrible weather. More than once I've been in blinding snow storms coming home from work and didn't know if I was even on the road or the ditch. Times like this makes me appreciate retirement. I could go out and help DH plow thru all the hard drifts in our driveway, I'm going to think about that for a minute. Nope! HaHa.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #235  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All!

Bobbi, you always come up with the most interesting tidbits! Thanks!
Lynn, fingers are crossed for tomorrow for both you and your DD. I so much hope that all goes well.

I'm looking forward to February (a new thread, maybe?), a new avatar, and a new font color! I just love new... and, of course, it means I can start over, too! (again, again, and again....sigh)

Windy today, cool... but we've sure been spared the nasty weather, for a change. Everyone, be warm and safe.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #236  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good afternoon Gals. The temperature has taken a turn upwards today but we're promised ice pellets, freezing rain and rain by tonight. But this morning all was quite mild although the wind was a bit cold. I actually didn't mind the wind as I was burning off the fat as I walked. It was the fastest time I've done that route--1 hour and 13 minutes. That's down by 4 minutes and no jogging! I'm aiming to do it in less than 60 minutes by the summer but I'll be jogging part of it then.

Linda, I put ground flax seed, wheat germ and wheat bran in my oatmeal (1 tablespoon each in a bowl of oatmeal). Last week I mixed oatmeal and cream of wheat just to change things up a bit. I also use dates and/or raisins and sometimes dried apricots to sweeten the oats. This last couple of weeks I've been using yogurt and applesauce as well. I also like chopped apple and nuts. A sprinkle of cinnamon and a drop or two of vanilla is a nice variation too. I usually eat it with skim milk every day. There are so many things you can do with oatmeal. I make a big pot of the stuff and DH and I warm a serving in the microwave each morning. That reminds me I'm just about out and will have to cook another potful this afternoon so everyone will have a good breakfast tomorrow.

Bobbi, glad you survived that storm. I could tell it was really blowing in that picture of your backyard.

Lynn, all the best wishes for you and your daughter tomorrow. I'll say a little prayer that all goes well.

Freda, you and I could be oatmeal buddies. And you're right about not eating/skipping a meal. It really wreaks havoc with my eating.

Karen, glad you're getting some info on your diet. You and Lynn will be able to discuss it at any rate. And it looks as if Freda has some interest in it as well.

Donna, you'll have to post a picture of the real you. Now I'm laughing because I can only imagine what you'll come up with to show us what you really look like. I can't believe January is almost over.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #237  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Okay, Donna, psychic twinnie - are we eating carefully this week? I AM - so far. Somehow, it feels like it's just been so LONG since I cheated (ohfergoodness's sake - it hasn't even been 48 hours since Sunday night, has it?) and I'm feeling SO virtuous! Last night I cut some of Sunday's leftover pork roast into thin strips and added it to a vegetable medley of eggplant, brocolli, zucchini, summer squash, carrots, onions, green, yellow and red pepper strips and plum tomatoes. Seasoned it with some garlic/tomato/basil seasoning, a little lemon juice, and heaped it over some miracle (shiritaki) noodles. It was fresh and pretty good if a little bland. I need to get more adventurous with my seasonings, I think. Anyway, I KNOW it was light on calories, and I ate a good big plateful, so I wasn't hungry before bedtime like I have been. (Yay).
I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast for months and months, now, but changed up after reading what Bobbi had to say about yogurt. For the past few mornings, I've had yogurt with Fiber One (the original) cereal sprinkled on top. It's pretty tasty. I think I'm going to alternate back & forth - a few days of yogurt, a few days of oatmeal. I'm going to put some flax seed in my oatmeal, too (thanks, Isabella!) and maybe some dates cut up into it. I'm liking dates a lot lately.
Y'know, I've used Splenda a few different times when baking, and never realized that was why whatever I was making didn't come out quite like it was supposed to! Bobbi, you are just a font of useful information! (Thanks!)It seems to work fine in apple crisp and apple sauce, but not in muffins or cakes.
Lynn, both you and your daughter will be in my thoughts tomorrow, and I'll be sending along very positive intentions and prayers for success.
Freda? Who's counting? Well, ME for one! I am really looking forward to answering only to myself, you know? The time really is racing by, too. Kinda scary, kinda nice.
Good luck with the new diet plan, Karen - sounds like it might be THE ONE for you, huh? That's always a good feeling...
Keep up the good work, Linda...and stay away from the scale! I used to torture myself with daily weigh-ins until I about drove myself crazy. Now I sometimes don't weigh myself for a couple or three weeks at a time. Works way better for me.
Well, I'm off...

Z
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #238  

Hi everyone..we woke up this am to a freezing house and realized the furnace quit during the nite boy was i cold..the repair man has come and gone and everything working again but i still feel cold..yikes i hate winter esp today..i have a hoodie with the hood up and extra socks on and am drinking hot tea..i think it must be mind over matter..hope you are all toastie rosey
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #239  

Height: 5'8"

This is it! A momentous occasion. After I hit "Submit Reply" I MIGHT get a signature line.

Freda, please tell me about olive oil and dark chocolate. Sounds delicious! hmmm..

Isabella and Freda, thanks for good oatmeal ideas. I do love oatmeal and this will be sooooo much better than the plain oatmeal I ate yesterday morning.

Have any of you tried hypnosis or subliminal tapes to get your diet started? I'm about to. I could use some extra will power.

I'm actually doing better at exercise than at dieting. Today I walked to the library, returned books, walked to the bridge, took pictures, and came home.. just over a mile and a half according to the pedometer. I'd walk farther but can't because of my injured foot. In a few minutes I'll do thirty minutes on the recumbent bike.

That reminds me - I couldn't find the thread of people exercising around the world ... so if someone could post a link it would help. I've counted all my walking and cycling miles for the month and realized I've already traveled 66 miles - and that takes me out of the Klamath River Valley. Normally almost a two hour drive from here, just to get to I-5.

This makes me wish I was really brave enough to get on the road and walk that far... but there are cougars and bears. And I'm a chicken, so to speak.

Linda
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #240  

Hi Linda,

Up above the Golden Girls thread, you will see several threads - including our recipes thread - with the word "sticky" in red. One of these posts is titled, "Exercising Across the Country in 2010."

Lynn
Closed Thread