Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #91  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hey, Lynn -

Well, that book certainly seems to draw some interesting conclusions, but let’s keep in mind here that one can find facts to support whatever hypothesis they are wanting to prove. You’ve already identified ONE exception to their “rule”, and my guess is that there are plenty more out there. Having said that, I DO think that genetics play a role in body type, and perhaps even in how we react to – or feel – hunger. That doesn’t mean that we are doomed to being forever heavy by any means. It simply means that we have to exercise some control over what we eat, and keep as active as possible, given our individual health status and so on and so forth. My SISTER has always disliked meat and eaten very little of it, preferring vegetables and pasta dishes. She is also a “nibbler”….eats small amounts probably six or seven times a day as opposed to three normal-sized meals. This is a life-long habit of hers. I, on the other hand, have always been a BIG eater, and have always enjoyed having lots of meat, which is why I did so well for so long on Atkins (7 years). In all my years of dieting, maintaining, not dieting, not maintaining, I have pretty much concluded that in the absence of some sort of medical condition that precludes exercise or requires that one take medications that cause weight gain, we are mostly heavy because we eat more calories than we burn. This is even after a seven year stint with Atkins, during which I stayed slim and active (until the disastrous hot fudge sundae episode and the resultant bingeing ).
Now I guess I’d better read that darned book so I can argue with some authority!
Very overcast here this morning, but sunny and pleasant this afternoon. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that when I get home, I’ll be able to take a good bike ride .
I brought one of DH’s paintings in to work with me and had the maintenance guy hang it for me in my office (It’s big – like 4’X5’). It looks awesome! People have been stopping by to admire it all morning. (It beats having to work) I was thinking about setting out a cheese & cracker tray and having a little reception….
Oh, Jo-annie….that darned knee of yours!!!! (But it came in handy with the refrigerator cleaning, eh? ) Oh, I hope you have the greatest vacation! I can’t wait for mine!
Awesome profits on that rummage sale, Bobbi…..that was amazing!
Hiya Phyllis, Paula, Dr. Femme, Theresa, Karen (if you’re reading this), Lyn (where’ve YOU been???) and ALL you loverly GOLDEN GIRLIES!!!!!!

TTFN,

Ella
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #92  
Ellabella

Jo-Annie......I wore a size 5 or sometimes a 6 undies when I was in a size 12 dress or pants. NOW, at my current weight, I wear a size 8, usually, but some of them are a little baggy. A 7 would probably be better. I think, too, it depends a lot on how you're built, but a 14 is pretty big. You might want to think about a 9 or 10, but I wouldn't go any larger than that if I were you.

Hope that helps shed a little light...

Ella
Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

MY computer died. My sil is checking it out. I had my grandson bring his computer over so we can share it. Since schools out he will be spending a lot of time here. He likes to play World of Warcraft. My computer time will be limited now.

My dad was very good yesterday. He was awake and was communicating well. Today he seemed much more congested. He was awake, but seemed more tired. It was later in the day too. We talked to the nurse and she told us he also has blood clots in his left upper arm. They are hoping to dissolve them with the meds.

I'm tired so I think I'll just go to bed early tonight.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #94  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Did anyone else watch the final episode of The Sopranos last night? Want to discuss?

Lynn
I had a feeling it was going to be left "open" because I heard a movie is down the road, but I HATED the way it ended! I just sat there with my mouth open before I started yelling

My parents also watched it for years (although I can't imagine my Mama listening to the "language"!) Since my Mom is now in NC with my sister and she and her husband never watched it, I call Mama each week and fill her in on what happened. She wasn't happy with the ending either!

Oh, on a more fun note, my husband brought me home a "surprise" yesterday:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Theresa, I'm glad you like your fan. I had one like it when my hot flashes were bad - I used it all the time. Please be careful with so much water. My cardiologist has limited me to 8 glasses/day. She says it's tough on the heart to drink more than that.

Hi Ella, I laughed when I read your post "If it’s not in the headlines when I log onto AOL to check my e-mail, then I don’t know about it." - that's exactly how I am - I have the 3 top headlines from CNN, BBC, and NPR on my google homepage & that's the only news I get. I don't read newspapers, watch tv news, or listen to radio news. It's all too depressing for me.

Hi Joanne, 40 Engineers! What a nightmare! I was married to 1 and ran out of the state screaming!

Hi Femme, are you recuperating from all your weekend company? You probably need around a size 7 or 8 in the uw department. What a WONDERFUL surprise. Is he/she cute enough? Enjoy. About the Sopranos - I've watched it from the beginning. The only thing I liked about that episode was that throughout it, I kept expecting Tony to get hit. Kind of made me feel like he must feel all the time. Other than that, I hated the ending!

Hi Paula, I hope you are taking care of yourself while you care for your dad. You need to be good to yourself during this stressful time.

Hi Phyllis, I just realized (I'm pretty slow) that your ticker indicates a goal of 8 lbs for June! Takes me about a month to lose 2-3 lbs. Have you lost 8 lbs in one month before? How many calories do you average to do that?

Everyone else - Hi & where are you?

I've got a trip planned to Ogunquit ME at the end of June. In the meantime, I need to either get my laptop in good shape (right now, it takes forever to do anything on the internet because of all the pop-ups from AOL) or get a new laptop. Another course begins for me on the day we leave for ME.

Today I've got a visit to my pedicurist - she's from Russia & acts as my podiatrist - In Russia their training is much more rigorous than is ours. Then, I'm going to try a new recipe for dinner. My df is joining me & then we'll walk afterwards.

Yesterday I went to the mall with my dd - big mistake. She went to 10 stores (no exaggeration) to buy 1 white tank top & never bought one! I am NOT a shopper - I'm a buyer. I park close to the area of store where I want to buy something, walk in, buy it, and walk out. However, I was really good and kept my whining and moaning to a minimum.

Tomorrow is the 2nd ballet in NYC. I'm looking forward to it. I hope it is as beautiful as the last one.

Will check back later to see how everyone is doing.

Hope we all have a Happy & Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Question

I am curious - what is everyone doing to lose the weight. I know that we're all eating less and exercising more, but what specifically are you doing?

I'm keeping my carbs, fat, and calories down. When I'm not recovering from surgery, I'm exercising at the gym 3 times/week and walking 2-3 times/week.

During the month of June, I have averaged - 1121 calories/day; 58 g of fat/day; and 77 g of carbs.

Between June 1 and June 12, I lost 1.8 lbs.

Regarding my carbs - they are mostly from vegetables and Lo-Carb whole wheat bread. I have cut out ALL sweets and white potatoes/rice/pasta/bread. Since making this change, I am rarely hungry. When I am, I have a snack of lo-carb yogurt and a Tbsp of Lo-sugar peanutbutter.

Lynn
Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #97  
Ellabella

OMG, Dr. Femme!!! How absolutely adorable!!! Like a little stuffed toy! Boy? Girl? Name? Who can resist little baby animals? Of course DH and I are “Khat people”, but babies of any kind are just soooo appealing, aren’t they? And speaking of babies, I’m about ready for another grandchild! Unfortunately, it doesn’t look promising. My eldest daughter just had a hysterectomy; my middle daughter has a 5-year-old, and they don’t plan to have another child; my youngest daughter has a six-year-old, and would LIKE another baby, but they moved into their new house last year and still have some things they’d like to do to it – and then there’s this, and then that…always something, it seems…and my SON, who (thankfully) has no children (isn’t married) isn’t planning any for YEARS, yet, he says. <sigh> And our kittens have become khats, so they aren’t even little and cute and cuddly anymore.

Well. I didn’t watch the last episode of The Sopranos. I think, over the life of the show, I may have watched maybe two episodes. Maybe. And I thought it was pretty good. It’s just that DH & I almost never watch TV. We keep one hooked up to cable in each guest bedroom, and there’s one in the living room (properly hidden in an antique cabinet ). Very occasionally, we’ll rent – or sometimes even buy – a DVD and watch it, but that’s so rare as to be almost never. DH is always in his studio either painting or working on some project, and I’m either in there with him doing my own thing, or out in the kitchen cooking, or in some other part of the house hanging wallpaper or painting or hemming drapes, or cutting back plants, or out riding my bike, or at work, or off somewhere shopping…or whatever, I guess. We just never even think to turn a TV on. I did notice, though, that The Sopranos is out on DVD, and I’m actually thinking I might want to pick that up and watch it whenever we get the urge. I think it’s kind of funny the way they ended it. A non-ending, I mean. Very life-like, eh? Lots of loose ends left dangling.
Oh, Lynn! Ogunquit is just beautiful! When my kids were growing up, we used to spend a month each summer up at York Beach, which is adjacent to Ogunquit. We would always drive up to the Ogunquit Playhouse for whatever summer stock performances they had. Saw some really good stuff there. Haven’t been up in years, though.
Okay. About my weight loss strategies. I don’t always total my calories up. I know, from years and years of dieting, a pretty good approximation of how many calories I’m having, and I’d say that I stay pretty much below 1400 every day. Some days it’s less, some days a little more, but never over 1400. And, while I’m not paying a lot of attention to carbs, I’d have to say that the carbs I’m getting are pretty much “good carbs” in that I only eat fresh fruit, vegetables, and more poultry & fish than red meat, although I will make up a batch of wheat pasta & sauce once every couple of weeks, and add a pound of 93% lean hamburger to the sauce. (The “batch” serves DH and I our dinner, plus a couple of day’s worth of lunches for both of us to take to work, so I doubt that I’m getting much more than a couple of ounces of meat per serving). I eat NO sweets, NO bread with the exception of multi-grain, low-calorie, low-carb tortilla wraps or flatbreads, and I don’t eat anything starchy like corn, although I will have a small baked white potato (with the skin) once a week, or a baked sweet potato. I eat Fiber One cereal every morning with a couple of different kinds of fresh fruit, and I drink at least eight glasses of water a day. I BIKE every single day – and for the past week or more have ridden for at LEAST 45 minutes, and on weekends, an hour twice a day. I need to incorporate some other kinds of exercise. I seem to be losing @ a pound a week. One or two weeks in the past two months, I’ve seen a two pound drop, but that doesn’t seem to happen too often. I have been known to do some kvetching and complaining about my agonizingly slow weight loss , but the truth of the matter is that it’s pretty much okay. It’s steady, I get enough to eat, I don’t necessarily feel like I’m on a diet, and I feel pretty good. And that’s about it.
Sorry this is so long. I’m a wordy chick.

Have a great day, all you GOLDEN GIRLIES!!!!!

TTFN,

Ella
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Good Morning girls

First off.
Lynn,

That fan is a great Idea. Next hot flash I get. And there will be more .

you asked what are we doing to loose the weight.

For me, its calorie counting. sometimes I eat 1400, sometimes up to 1600.
It varies, according to how hungry I am.

I have been averaging 5-6 pounds a month.

as of today, it’s 21 pounds since march 1st.

I think that if I only ate the amounts most of you eat… I would always be hungry. I don’t know how you do it.

My averages for the last month are…
from fit day.
Calories1523
Fat: 39 354 25%
Carbs: 220 706 49%
Fiber: 44 0 0%
Protein: 94 377 26%

I go to Curves 3-4 times a week. and I come home to Use my Elliptical 15-25 min., and Ab lounge, at least 50 crunches per day.
5-6 days a week.

I have been making sure to take off at least one day a week from exercise. Its very much needed.

Yes, I drink at least 10 glasses of water per day. Mostly about 12 per day.
When I told my dr. how much water, he just acted surprised. Most likely he did not believe me.

I have never heard that its bad for your heart. I will look into that! sounds scary.

I do eat lots of fiber too. Maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother me to drink so much.
If I drink less than 10... oh… it hurts later, from to much fiber.

I don’t deliberately eat high carbs, accept that I do deliberately eat as much healthy fiber as I can.

Being veggies, fruits, cereals and recently my new favorite bread.
Brownberry 12 grain bread.
It is delish. toasted with OLIVIO BUTTERY SPRAY. It is made with Olive oil and soybean and buttermilk. Nope not calorie free. but close.

My fav. cereal is ORGANIC OPTIMUM POWER BREAKFAST CEREAL. It consist of all organics.
whole wheat bran and whole wheat meal, evaporated cane juice, organic soy flour, puffed Kamut, flaxseeds, barley malt extract, soy fiber, oat bran blueberry’s, sea salt, and cinnamon. 10 grams of fiber.190 calories, worth all of them.

My protein is high, because I eat low fat proteins. such as Eggbeaters, fat free dannon yogurt. Low fat ham, tuna, turkey, chicken and fish. I don’t like eggs. but if I add the 2% cheddar to the fat free eggbeaters, I can do it.

Although I doubt that this helps anyone else, its working for me.

I forgot to add, I do eat one pc of choc very often, and as you can see, I do eat things like pierogies, a sliver of pie, and other goodies. these are all figured into to my calorie counts.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #99  

Ok,

Joanne,
I agree with it being genetic. But I do believe with hard work and faith in oneself, we can change how we lose weight. It will be much harder for me than any of my sisters. But, I can do it!

I have 6 brothers also, and One of them has always had the same weight issues.
He, on the other hand has tried every diet out there. Not me. I just ate healthy but did not count my calories or move my butt.
Must move my butt… Most days.

I tell you what, any book that says I can’t do it… is going in the trash. I think its up to us what we can do.

Ella,
You must get a pic of your hubby’s art work. So fun to have.
I have some from my brother, His has been printed and sold. They are wonderful. Always was jealous of that talents.

Paula
My thoughts and prayers continue for your dad. It has to be hard on you and yours.
don’t forget to take care of you too. its just as important.

Femme,
what a wonderful surprise. I love them when they are puppies. What kind is it?

Ella,
I don’t watch much news or live tv.
I tvo most of the shows I do like. and that also lets me cut out the commercials. Got to love tvo.

Lynn,
what is the new recipe. I am always up to new suggestions. In fact I need to get some new ideas… so I don’t get bored with my eating.

Oh! another ballet. I am still waiting for my first. Probably won’t happen, Its ok.

this Sorpranos show?? Would it be worth getting dvd’s at the library? I have never seen it.

Bobby,
I know you are glad to be done with your sales. Now what lovely fun are you planning?

Well, I have to get off of here! and get on the machine in my garage!
Maybe even do some walking today.

Hello to everyone I missed. Back later.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #100  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Hi GOLDEN GIRLS another day in paradise and I did a night at bootcamp last night. Now my bad knee is back to being the bad knee. I made up my mind that I am going to get a professional knee brace made for my left knee -- take the strain off my right knee and hopefully be able to continue with my workouts -- I do NOT want to give up my workouts!!!! We are having a potluck lunch today at work -- the nice thing is I know I can't over indulge my tummy just won't allow it. Even yesterday I ate three small chocolates and suffered from it for quite a while -- makes me want to stay away from it -- until I forget and have some again down the road.

Paula - sorry about the computer but good news about your dad -- I am thinking about you.

Femme - OMG those pictures needed to come with a warning "DANGER DANGER MAJOR CUTENESS!!!!" What a cutie pututie -- I love puppies so much but we can't have another one. My sweetie is allergic and I got rid of my backyard last year when I lost my darling golden -- so please please inundate us with pics!!!!

Lynn - LOL engineers -- what a breed -- I can manage most of them and we joke alot about engineer brains. I absolutely love that expression "buyer not shopper" -- I am just like you, only go when necessary -- in out no browsing.
My lifestyle plan is to count calories, exercise and drink the right amount of water. 1100 calories from what I have read is not high -- anything under 1200 calories starts putting your body into starvation mode -- please check out what I am saying. As you can see mixing up the calories is a good thing -- staying the same just gets the body bored LOL.

Ella - strength training of some form would really help you out. You are doing awesome with your bike riding but you are working the same muscles and sort of like what I said to Lynn - your body could be getting bored. Losing one pound a week is great -- geesh look at me eating right exercising my huge butt and still only 2.5 in a month -- but a loss is a loss is a loss.

Theresa - you plan and mindset is very similar to mine -- except I eat in the 1600 to 1800 range sometimes up to 2000. I also plan out my treats and refuse to beat myself up if I go over.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #101  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay55 View Post
Hi GOLDEN GIRLS another day in paradise and I did a night at bootcamp last night. Now my bad knee is back to being the bad knee. I made up my mind that I am going to get a professional knee brace made for my left knee -- take the strain off my right knee and hopefully be able to continue with my workouts -- I do NOT want to give up my workouts!!!! We are having a potluck lunch today at work -- the nice thing is I know I can't over indulge my tummy just won't allow it. Even yesterday I ate three small chocolates and suffered from it for quite a while -- makes me want to stay away from it -- until I forget and have some again down the road.

Theresa - you plan and mindset is very similar to mine -- except I eat in the 1600 to 1800 range sometimes up to 2000. I also plan out my treats and refuse to beat myself up if I go over.
Wow! And I thought I was the only one of us eating this much... Thanks for tell me. Now I don't feel like a big pig.
Really I don't know how anyone just eats 1200 cal. I think I would go crazy.
I think planing a treat is good for you. If your body can take it. Mine can

I want to tell you...My knees are feeling better since I started using the elliptical. I started on the lowest setting. for 3 min. Now I am up to the 3rd setting for 15 min. My knees do feel better.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Hello everyone,
I made it through the last five days and only gained 1/2 lb. We are doing way too much eating out and going to special events. I don't think I could have kept it to a minimum if I wasn't on the low carb plan.

What am I doing to lose weight??? I am doing Atkins but not with the high fat and red meat. My proteins are mostly chicken, turkey and tuna. I cut out all breads, crackers, cereal, snacks and pretty much anything with sugar in it. I also eat fresh berries, vegetables, salads, cheese, eggs and some nuts. My idea of a luscious treat is a dish of fresh raspberries with a dollop of Cool whip mmmmm.

You wouldn't believe what this eating plan has done for my indigestion/acid reflux. I haven't had any - none - in the last four weeks! Before I used to take at least 1 of those little pills a day.
Exercise is hit and miss for me. We do so much physical labor when we go up to work on our lake home that I don't need to supplement right now. We have been going there every Thursday or Friday for a few days for the last couple of months. When we're home, I walk and garden. I am hoping in the near future to start using my bike.

Gotta run to pick up the gd from her last day of school. She gets to spend the afternoon and night with us so I am sure I will get my exercise in when we take a walk to the park later on after it cools off a bit.

Nice going everyone, you are all so supportive of each other. I don't believe that book Lynn, and we are just the group that will prove them wrong.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #103  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
I am curious - what is everyone doing to lose the weight. I know that we're all eating less and exercising more, but what specifically are you doing?
I'm on South Beach and just love it. It makes sense health wise and I can adapt almost any of my old recipes to it and I don't have a problem finding something on menus when we go out. I truly plan on eating this way the rest of my life on a daily basis (but of course may spluge a little during holidays or special occasions. I've been on it about 2 months and have lost around 25 lbs so far and not once hungry or cranky. love it...

and Ella..the puppy's name is (you ready?) Bijoux Louise Y Ana. (you know how spanish people use the mother's maiden name and put it at the end after the "Y"?)..thought it was a funny way of getting "Louisiana" in there. She is a Ratshi..supposedly a "designer dog"..I think that is just a "shi-shi" term for cute mutt. Her mama is a Shih Tzu and her Daddy is a Rat Terrier.We are headed to the vet in just a bit to start the shots etc. I gave her a bath a little while ago and was relieved that she was an excellent bath taker. I have one other who hates it and one other who loves it...they get bathed weekly. My big old Catahoula, Roux gets bathed about once a month or so...he really doesn't need it like these little white dust collectors do.

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-12-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #104  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up The 10% Solution

Just read this article and thought my GOLDEN GIRLS would appreciate it!!

A recent study found that, in the nonsensical weight loss world, most failure has more to do with failing to meet faulty expectations than with failing to lose weight. This may not seem like a big difference, but in reality, it’s HUGE.

In other words, you may be experiencing success, but still feel like you’re failing. So, we must find a way to use our expectations to motivate rather than to berate.

According to the study in the Archives of Internal Medicine, the average "Dream" weight loss is 38% of the dieter’s current weight. Also:
• a 31% weight loss would make the average dieter "Happy"
• a 25% weight loss would be "Acceptable".
And most disturbing of all,
• a 15.7% weight loss would be "Disappointing".
So the 200-pound woman who loses 30 pounds would actually be disappointed in her results!

No wonder there are so many frustrated dieters out there. They may be frustrated even when their programs are working!

The 10% Solution
To bring expectations more in line with reality, many health professionals are beginning to suggest setting a 10% weight loss goal instead. Losing just 10% of your current weight can boost your energy and performance, lower your risk of heart disease and diabetes, lower your cholesterol, and build some much-needed momentum. On top of that, 10% may be a better goal than 15%, 25% or even 38% for many reasons:

10% is Under Your Control
In all frankness, you can’t do a darned thing about that 38% weight loss goal you might have—not one thing—until you first deal with the 10% you have right in front of you. In other words, you can’t lose 80 pounds in a short amount of time, but you might be able to lose 15. The key is to focus on the 10% you can do something about right now and go from there.

10% is Realistic
Research is showing that a lump 38% dream weight loss simply doesn’t happen for most people. In reality, it’s less of a goal and more of a pipe dream. But research is also showing that 10% can happen for just about anyone. Does this mean you’re doomed no matter what you try and you should give up on the bigger goal? Nope. Simply lose that first 10%, regroup and reset your goals, and then pursue another 10% based on your new weight. The added benefit to this approach is that each 10% will get smaller and smaller!

10% is More Effective
Not only are gradual goals healthier in the long run, but they’re also more powerful in reaching your ultimate goals. You’ll be much more successful by setting and reaching a series of 10% goals than riding a wild weight loss roller coaster in pursuit of a huge goal all at once. One of the great weight loss ironies is that you’ll be more likely to lose that big number by ignoring it for now in favor of the smaller 10% goal.

Traditionally, weight loss programs have encouraged impatience and coconut-cream-pie-in-the-sky expectations. This approach also results in feelings of failure. Let’s try to turn it around and use the 10% strategy to do it right this time.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #105  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Thank you all for posting your plan that works for you. It's so amazing of all the plans that work. My personal plan was staying on 1200 calories a day.
During our rummage sale, one gal noticed that I'd lose weight.
She asked me how I did it. I told her that I weighed everything on a food scale,, posted it.
She didn't know what a food scale was. ??????????? I think Fitday was a major help- plus talking to all you girls!

Gotta Go, Bobbi
Closed Thread