Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #61  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Okay. I weighed myself today. KNEW I shouldn’t have!!!! These ONE POUND LOSSES are driving me insane! You’ve left me in your dust, Lynn...and don’t get me wrong, I’m SO glad for you. Especially since it’s helping you get your blood sugar levels down to where they need to be. And Theresa! Pierogis???????? Aren’t they filled with mashed potato and have like a zillion calories in them? And yet YOU’RE dropping weight like I don’t know what! Well, it’s been a week and a half since I last weighed in and wowza! And Phyllis, you GAIN weight on vacation and then take it right off again in the blink of an eye! I lost a whole pound, here, people! I changed my avatar. Figured maybe the cow was holding me back, yanno? Either that, or eating too much. Or something. Age? Grrrrr!!!! I rode that stinkin’ bike for 90 - nine-oh - minutes today. You’d think that would do something, right? Oh, blahhhhh. I SAID I was going to take my time and take this weight off slowly, but this is getting ridiculous. I guess the good thing is that it’s not making me so discouraged that I’m ready to go on a binge or anything. I’m sticking with it. But, good grief!!!!
I stayed home from work today. Allergy stuff going on. Or just burn out stuff, or something. I needed a day away from the office by myself. I love DH dearly, but there’s nothing quite like a day to yourself, no-one to answer to for anything, do what you want when you want, or nothing at all, even. I read for awhile - this old book I’ve had for years by Marilyn French, the feminist author who wrote The Women’s Room. This book is called Her Mother’s Daughter, and I’ve re-read it a number of times now. Every time, I find some new thing that I hadn’t thought about in that particular context before. I took my bike ride, took a run over to Target, came back, rode my bike again, and started supper.
I imagine Bobbi’s running around still getting ready for that rummage sale.
Haven’t heard from Karen for awhile...hope all’s well with you, if you happen to check in!
Your dad sounds like he’s feeling a little better, Paula....that’s good to hear.
Hey Jo-annie! Whassup??? How’s that darned knee of yours? Better I’m hoping. Has the heat wave passed yet? It was beautiful here today - in the low 70’s and sunny. Supposed to get rain tonight & tomorrow, though. Ugh. I hope it breaks long enough for me to get a bike ride in at some point. I’m a little bit addicted, I think.
Hiya Lily!
Okay, enough from me. Somebody else’s turn.

TTFN,

Ella
Old 06-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

2.5 pounds Phyllis. SUPER!!! That .5 pounds will be gone before you know it!!

ella- Don't feel bad about only 1 pounds loss. At least it wasn't a gain. I'll keep you company along the way. We are very close in our stats.

Our local Relay for Life is this weekend. I think I'll go and hang out with my daughter and do some laps. I don't know if I'll stay all night, but they have some fun stuff scheduled. Plus there is FREE pizza at midnight. Oops, did I just say that? Oh yeah, and a Mr. Jingle ice cream truck will be there and will give part of their profits to Relay. Oops, did I also say that? OK, maybe I should just stay home.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Hey! ladies,

just home from work. Loving it most of the time.

just too darnhot! And me HOT flashing again!
I always come home all red in the face. Oh well, I have always gotten real red, easy.

all the red heads in my family do it.
5 out of 10 are red heads in my family.

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I really needed to hear them.
I was waiting so long to see a drop. Or that’s how it feels at least.

I am not sure why I am loosing so fast right now. ( not complaining!)
I eat lots more than ALL of you.

Yes, Ella,
Pierogies, with mashed potato and Onions fried in butter!
Mrs T’s Pierogies. 170 calories. with a tablespoon of Margarine!

Ella, what plan are you on?
Do you just count calories? that is what I do.
this is my average for the last month.
with about 10-12 glasses of water a day too.

Total: 1523
Fat: 41 365 25%
Sat: 12 110 8%
Poly: 4 38 3%
Mono: 6 51 4%
Carbs: 216 696 48%
Fiber: 42 0 0%
Protein: 95 379 26%
I try to eat foods that are healthy and I have to LIKE them too!

Might be loosing fast because I have never really dieted before.
Not that I feel like I am on a diet. I don’t.

I think I eat more than I did before the change in eating.
But… get this… My cholesterol, etc. are now ALL normal. And they were very high.

Paula,
I am so glad to hear you dad is doing better. If he can keep a sense of humor. That is fantastic.
that day out with your daughter sounds fun. You should try it.

Lynn,
hope that surgery went well. I hope I don’t ever have to do that. As a redhead, I burn to the max. so I don’t go out in the sun to play much. mostly just the yard work.
Ohhh! a new lap top! I am so envious!. Green with envy even. Some day that’s what I want.
Next one WILL be a lap top too.

Hello to…
Bobby, Lyn, Phyllis, Woodlilly, Moxie( where did you get that name?) Femme, Karen, Joanne, lets see… is that everyone?

Well, its getting time to do the dishes…wash some clothes, you know fun stuff
Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Everyone!!
Well, we went to Grove, Oklahoma on Tuesday to visit my cousin and her hubby that live down there. They live on Grand Lake of the Cherokees down there. Well, almost on the lake! It is just about 2 blocks to go to the lake. This is a picture of myself, Ginger and Sissy, and Lois, my cousin and her "Baby" Buddy. He is such a sweet little ****zu and I was surprised at how well that the three of them got along together! It was great. I hadn't seen her in about 2 years.
We came back up to my Dad's in MO. yesterday and plan on heading back to Colorado on Sunday. Should be back home Monday night.

Gosh, I've been reading all the posts about everyones weight losses! That is great but I think I may have found all that you have lost!!! I'm really going to have to get back on track when we get back home. No time to diddle around!! So I will probably need a good swift kick in the pants to get motivated again.

We have spent some time looking at homes back here. We have thought about moving back here and I could be so much closer to my family. But really can't do anything if we can't sell our home in Colorado first. But just checking out what you can buy for the money back here.

Everyone have a good night and I'll check back hopefully one more time before we pack up to go home.

Take care and keep up the good work!! Karen

Last edited by Karen31; 03-17-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
YOU’RE dropping weight like I don’t know what! Ella
Hi Ella,

I know how you feel when that scale just won't move as much as it should. It's horribly frustrating. Just a few notes to (hopefully) help -

You've lost 20 lbs (here are 20 dancing carrots to go with your 20 lbs!

Phyllis can tell you that when we posted together in another place, I stayed at 178 lbs for a year. Everyone else seemed to be dropping like crazy, and I just hung out there at 178. Unlike you, I gave up - stopped weighing myself and stopped posting. Phyllis came and got me and encouraged me to start posting again on this Board. "Thank you again, Phyllis - I really believe that the support I get here is helping me stick to my new way of eating."

I hit 174 on May 20th and stayed there until June 6th. SEVENTEEN days (almost 3 weeks) of eating 1200 or fewer calories and exercising at least 5 days/week with NO weight loss . I think my body just wanted to see if I was really serious before it was ready to give up any ounces!

On another board, someone has in her signature - I can be responsible for my effort - not for the results. I think this is a good motto for us all.

Please hang in there and know that sooner or later your results will catch up with your effort.

Lynn
Old 06-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #66  

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Paula, I'm with your father - where are those biscuits and sausage? Hope all goes well with his blood clots. Stay away from that pizza and ice cream - or, alternatively - ENJOY!

Hi Phyllis, Congratulations on losing the vacation weight. I just got a GREAT new relaxation tape. Used it last night and fell right asleep. Had to listen to it this morning so I could hear the message. I really LOVE it.

Hi Theresa, Thanks for the info. Your Challenge prize is on its way. I didn't know you were a redhead - so am I. I must get additional anesthetic whenever I'm having surgery/dental work - redheads require more - I once woke up during surgery. Yesterday the doctor had to give me about twice the number of shots he generally uses to numb my back. I haven't gone out in the sun for decades. The doctor said that the damage could be caused by only 1 sunburn. When I was a kid, I had quite a few sunburns.

Hi Ella, you got your own separate note. Hang in there.

Hi Karen, you and your cousin have a real family resemblance. Glad you are having a good trip.

Today I'm going to our scrapping place with my 2 df's. I'm alternating between my great-niece's scrapbook and an Ireland vacation scrapbook. Yesterday's back surgery was not bad & I have pills to take care of the pain today - I'll forget about it once I start scrapping. I'm going to have to either walk every day or use my WATP CD because the doctor says I cannot go to the gym until he takes out the stitches in 2 weeks! I just hope this won't mess with my blood sugar readings.

I got the book - Rethinking Thin (Thank you, Moxie for telling us about it) - it is VERY good. It's about a research study that was done comparing Atkins diet with low-calorie diet. It goes into the history of dieting, the experiences of the people in the study, the socio-economic factors related to dieting, and the findings of the study. It's written by a journalist (I find them to be EXCELLENT writers) and is VERY interesting. Also, there's a book discussion (about this book) that will be on 3 Fat Chicks beginning on June 17th.

Hope everyone has a happy and healthy day,

Lynn
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #67  

210 Pounds,

If you are wondering… this is the weight you have all lost together,
As a very smart group of women.

If you are wondering… why I am posting this…

Each individual has done a fantastic job.
You eat healthy, work out daily. And…
ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE.

You are getting healthier,
No mater how fast these pounds come off.

You are lowering your Cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar, and YOUR weight.

No mater how fast or slow it is coming off. You are becoming healthy, fit, and beautiful.

I hope for all of you… that it comes off fast and easily.

I said I don’t know how mine is coming off like it is. I meant that!

It will slow down, most likely sooner than I like.

I have repeatedly been told to eat 1400 plus, calories.

At 1400 I stopped loosing. And 1600 seemed so much in the beginning. Now I am bouncing between the 1400-1600. And loosing.

I have been told it’s an experiment.

I believe that it will always be.

Having NEVER really dieted. MY body has not figured out what’s going on. So… for now… Its working.

Next week, who knows?

I am sending will power to each and everyone, me too.

love you all.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #68  
Ellabella

Lynn, what a lovely person you are! After re-reading my (own) post, I realized how petulant and whiny it sounded. I guess I feel like our GOLDEN GIRLS forum is a place where I can safely “let it all hang out” without worrying about how I might be judged by others. In my day-to-day existence, I am not a whiny complainer, and honestly speaking, I don’t have a lot of patience with those who are. Thus, I suppose, I grow impatient with my OWN moaning and groaning, knowing full well that if I really was COMMITTED to losing weight more quickly, I would eat less than I’m eating (which averages @ 1300-1500 calories a day, and I’m NOT attempting to limit carbs) but I’m just not thinking I really want to do that. The whole premise behind (this) attempt to lose weight was to find a way of eating that would help me to take off the weight (I claimed not to care how slowly, if I recall correctly) AND prove viable over the long term – not something that I would think of as a “diet”, and be discarding as soon as the weight came off, but rather a way of eating (and moving about and exercising) that I could do, hopefully, until I’m REALLY old (as opposed to being just “old”). So, one pound at a time – or even a few OUNCES at a time – really IS progress, despite my occasional (okay – FREQUENT) lapses into childish tantrumming and demands for the kind of instant gratification that I took great pains to teach all of my children was NOT preferable to long-term results. I deserve a good boot in the butt , and instead of giving me one, you understood, commiserated with, and encouraged me. (I guess you’re used to dealing with immature college students!). At any rate, THANK YOU! If you ever get tired of the teaching gigs, you might want to consider picking up another degree in psychotherapy.
Thanks to you, too, Paula, and you as well, Theresa. I really have to share with all of you that I have spent a significant number of years NOT showing my feelings – I was married for 25 years to a Narcissist, and our whole lives revolved around what HE wanted, needed, felt, and demanded. My present husband, who is a polar opposite of the first, has had to often drag things out of me…but he’s made a superhuman effort at communicating, which has certainly helped me immeasurably. (Maybe TOO much, considering the way I “let it all hang out” here with the GG’s?????).
Anyway, thanks, thanks, and thanks for tolerating my whining. I promise that you will see less and less of it!
Jooooo-annnnie! Wherefore art thou?
SO good to hear from you, Karen! Glad your trip is going so well! VERY nice pic! (I LOVE pics!!!! I'm going to take some! Iam! I am!)
Ohhh, Bobbi - that rummage sale sure has been (and is) a lot of work! I'm sure it will all be worth it, though! And once it's over, maybe you can spend a day or so just sitting out on those beautiful grounds of yours...)
Hiya, Lily...I know Moxie's visiting her kids....Phyllis, you're busy losing weight... (see, I can even have a sense of humor about people who leave me in their "diet dust"....)
And, thaaaaaas' all, folks!

TTFN…
(I’m back at work today, and should really try to DO some!!! )

Ella
Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #69  

Ella dear,
we all take turns being disappointed.

You have every right to speak your feelings.

We all do. I know that I am the biggest whinner here.

keep up the hard work, girl!
No kicks in the butt for you.
You ARE doing everything one can do. Just hang in there.

this goes for everyone!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #70  
Ellabella

Oh, for gosh sakes, Theresa, I've NEVER heard you whine! Thanks, tho.
Yanno, it really seems like it's the freaking MIRROR more than the scale that gets to me every time! Our body images - or at least mine, and I know others have mentioned it as well - seem so skewed most of the time. I can remember back to after I had my second child (who is now 36 years old!!!) I went on a mega-diet - only ate once a day, and when I ate that one time, all I ate was a piece of steak and a small salad. (Kind of out-Atkinsed Atkins!) I was also doing this absurd set of exercises every day. I got down to about 125 pounds, which was really way too little for me at my height. I looked positively skeletal. I didn't think so, though. I remember that when I sat down, there was a teeny, tiny little wrinkle in my midsection that I believed was fat. Hah! I should've known what that same midsection was going to look like at sixty! My mother ultimately came to my house and practically force-fed me some soup, and gave me a long lecture about health and too much weight loss, etc., etc. Finally, I started eating more normally again, but never allowed my weight to creep up much until over the past four or five years. But NOW, it seems that I don't (or didn't, until I started THIS dieting trip) realize how HEAVY I have looked and still do look. Seems like one day I can look at myself in the mirror and feel pretty good about how I look, and then other times, everything looks big and billowy to me. I DO think that I'm getting more resigned, though, to where I am and where I need to get to. I can't say that I feel okay at my present weight - I don't. But I know that I'm not going to get to the weight I want to be right away, either. Frankly, I'm scared to death of eating anything off-plan (which for me is low-cal., high fiber) because from past efforts, I know how easy it is to gain weight back again and cancel out all the progress in just a few weeks of overeating. (Unfair, considering how long it takes to get it off in the first place, but that's life, I guess, eh? ).
Omigawd. Can I tell you that my new office looks out across the parking lot here towards the back of an Italian restaurant? There are some trees and stuff in between, but with our current weather (low 70's) it's just so ideal to keep my windows open a little, and right around this time every day, I have been ATTACKED by the smell of DELICIUS ITALIAN FOOD cooking at that restaurant!!!! It smells sooooooo good!!!!!! Darn it!!!!!
Well, 'tis almost noontime, very few people are in the office today, I'm feeling a bit spring-feverish, and not accomplishing very much.
Guess I'll head down to the lunch room & zap my chili in the microwave.

Hope you're all having a T-riffic day!!!!

TTFN,

Ella
Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #71  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Hi all you wonderful GOLDEN GIRLS I have had a chance to read all your wonderful posts and I really wish I had the time to write down my responses. Its one of my busiest times of the year right now -- classes are out all the instructors are heading off in a couple of weeks for their summer holidays -- so of course they are all in a panic to find me and get their orders all set for September. Geesh yesterday I had to head downstairs to take care of some shredding --- within minutes I was found and more requests were made. They are also in a panic because I am taking a whole week off starting next Friday -- ok I guess I should feel glad that I am wanted and needed -- retirement isn't available for another three years LOL.

Yesterday I attended our first bootcamp here on campus -- the instructor that usually does our core (fusion of pilates and yoga) was the leader and wow did she do a great job - I think she threw a few people for a loop -- never having done bootcamp style some were quite taken by surprise. I was pleased that my knee cooperated.

Lynn & Theresa your words of wisdom to our dear Bostonian was terrific. And Ella -- remember you have lost over 10% of your body weight -- your body is getting used to it and not too eager to let any more go. My goodness as I pointed out I worked my frikken butt off eating right and exercising tons and only lost 2.5 pounds - -but it 2.5 more gone never to be seen again. I can only once again ask you to remember you are gaining muscle with all the bike riding blah blah blah LOL.

Lynn I should really check out that book -- I received a gift card from Chapters and maybe this is the buy I need to make. I would love to join the chat about the book -- heck I love reading the message boards on all different subjects.

Love all you ladies its just a joy to see all the posts from all over the place -- Karen glad the trip is going well -- of course you can shed any of the fun weight gain when you get home, Paula, Phyllis, Lyn, Lynn, Theresa, Bobbi, Ella and anyone I might have missed have a great weekend.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Ladies,
We spent today running and looking at different things and also with the family. I thought I would share these pics with you. One is myself and my Dad, another is my younger sister, myself and my Dad. My sister, Carole is 10 years younger than I am. And my Dad will be 88 in November. He is really doing pretty good for having that quadruple heart bypass this past September, and also having diabetes. I'm sure you can tell by looking at him he is just so fun loving and ornery!!

The other picture is of Praying Hands carved in stone. This is in Webb City, MO. The man who does this lives here in Webb City and has a really neat gallery called Bittersweet Galleries. He is a fantastic artist and has done many paintings. I just thought that these praying hands were just Beautiful and wanted to share this photo with you.

Tomorrow will be our last day here and we are planning on leaving Sunday to go back to Colorado. Last night was a little scary since they sounded the tornado sirens abut 11:30pm! We went inside my Dad's house and waited it out but nothing ever happened. We did have some wind and rain but not as bad as it was the night before!

Again I hope to sit down when we get back home and spend time just replying to everyone. Everyone have a good weekend and I'll catch you again when we get home. Take care everyone, Karen

Last edited by Karen31; 06-08-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #73  

Good Morning Everyone,

HI Theresa, WOW 210 lbs! That's amazing - thank you for totalling it for us.

Hi Ella, Let's all agree - this is the place for us to whine, or stamp our feet, or whatever else we feel like doing. If we can't understand each other, who will? This is our safe space. Please feel free to let it all out.

Everyone, you MUST read this book - Rethinking Thin - it's fascinating. Do you know that the original preoccupation with women being thin in the US came from a cartoon! The Gibson Girls were the product of an artist's imagination. They were NOT real women.

Hi Joanne, I'm sure you already told everyone, but what is your job? My last job was on a college campus - I loved it.

Hi Karen, Thank you for sharing the photos. You look great.

Today I'm going shopping with my dd. Maybe I'll talk her into looking at laptops with me. Tonight my sister and her gd (Carly) are coming down to stay with me. Tomorrow, we're going to Ikea to buy Carly a piece of furniture for her birthday - a shelf-like thing that will hold her arts and crafts stuff.

As you can see by my ticker, I've bounced back up to 173. I'll have to watch what I eat this weekend. My sister is 110 lbs and can eat whatever she wants without gaining weight. Last time she was here, she wanted to eat at a Chinese buffet - you KNOW what that did to my eating plans.

Hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #74  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just popping in to say hey and hope everyone has a great weekend.

My son had his knee surgery on Thursday and is doing great. He's a good patient (especially for a guy...you know how they usually whine!) He is stuck in bed for a while and I know he is in pain, but he hasn't complained once. His precious girlfriend went with us to the hospital for the surgery and later on that day went out and got him balloons and a teddy bear with a matching leg brace she made and a bucket full of all manner of cute toys he can play with in bed. So along with the wireless laptop, toys and remote control and friends visiting, he's been occupied.

Of all times, my clothes dryer decided to croak yesterday. It spins but no heat. So my husband rigged up my "Katrina clothes dryer" again. I used it for 6 weeks after the storm when we had no electricity. It is 3 ladders with pvc pipe stretched between them. Works great...at least this time I have a washing machine! Hopefully the maytag man will return the message I left last night and be out soon to look at it.

My daughter is coming to spend the weekend and my older son may pop in to visit with his brother, so I may have a house full this weekend which thrills me. My daughter is moving to Los Angeles in about a month so we are spending as much time together as we can.

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-09-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm back from Relay For Life. I didn't stay all night. We came home around 12:30 and went back at 6:30. The ice cream truck didn't' show so that saved me. I did have 2 slices of pizza, but they were small and I had walked a lot and hadn't eaten a lot the rest of the day. We had some VERY strong storms before it started so the moved it inside the school. It was a nice time and nice to give to a worth while charity.
My hubby was called out to storm duty last night. One of the disadvantages of working for the electric company. He has an office job, but when there are a lot of outages in the area he is called to look for down lines and help keep the area secure until a repair crew get there. I talked to him this morning and he said that they are saying it might be a several day job. Of course that means extra money for us and since he's not right here in town he will be staying in a motel so I will have the house to myself.

Theresa- Did the stoms hit your area? We had tornado warnings and everything. There was grapefruit size hail where my MIL lives. We didn't get the hail here. It did rain really hard and we had some hard winds. I just checked my gardens and nothing was damages. Actually with the rain we've had the last couple days everything has really started to grow.

Karen- Thanks for sharing the photos. Your dad does like ornery. Have a safe trip back.

I'm going to go visit my dad again today and then just chill out the rest of the day. I will probably fall asleep on the couch and catch up on much needed sleep.
Closed Thread