Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #151  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Just a quick chick in

I'm back on Long island - more hospital visits unfortunately.

My birthday is Feb 21.

Bobbi - Good luck with everything...we will miss you for sure.

Got to run. Will check back in when i get back home.

Lyn
Old 06-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Cole Slaw w Turkey & Peanuts -- (REALLY good)

Ingredients:
· 1/3 cup Splenda
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 1/8 tsp white pepper
· 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
· 1/2 cup mayonnaise
· 1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
· 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
====================
· 16 oz Cabbage – slaw style
· 6 oz turkey diced
· 3 oz peanuts

Combine Splenda, salt, pepper, half-and-half, mayonnaise, vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add cabbage, peanuts, and turkey and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Makes 9 Servings.

Calories 182
Carbs 6.72
Fat 14.2
Protein 8.94

Check back later.

Lynn
Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #153  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hey GOLDEN GIRLIES, wherever you are.....rise & shine! (Or not - - I KNOW some of you get to sleep later these days!) And Jo-annie's on vacation, and Bobbi's gone .... but there must be a few of us left here, aren't there? Oh Lyn...sorry about your BIL...hope he's doing better. And that recipe sounds interesting for sure, Lynn. I'll definitely give it a try before long. Already did my grocery shopping on Saturday, though, and didn't get any cabbage...got turkey, but just the sliced deli kind. I've put it on my list for the next time I go .
Welcome back, Karen! I sure wish I could talk MY DH into moving - my sister lives in Hendersonville, NC, and we've spent some time in the Charlotte area. You can get a gorgeous house around there in the $150,000 range. And I mean with EVERYTHING - the deluxe, soup-to-nuts places. Up here in the Boston area, $150,000 wouldn't even get you a shack by the side of the road. It's downright crazy the way the cost of living - and real estate market - varies from state to state and area to area. I know that when we get ready to retire, we're not going to be so delighted with the mortgage payment we're currently making every month. Of course if we were to try and sell NOW, with so many foreclosures here in Mass., we'd take a loss for sure, so for now we've just got to sit tight. I love our house, and it's working great for us now, but I don't know how well it might work over the long term.
Oh, I've got to get ready for work. Ugh.
Have a great day, all!!!!! Keep up the good work!
(Hi Phyllis, Paula, Theresa & Dr. Femme!)
I suppose I missed SOMEBODY.
Well, I AM over fifty, after all.....

TTFN,

Ella
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Hi
Received this in my email.
good for a laugh.

Subject: When were YOU born??!!!

Those Born 1930-1979READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when werode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them.CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"
For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.
For the rest of us...pass this on.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #155  

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Phyllis, I know what you mean about being near your children and grandchildren. My dd and sil are talking about moving out of state & it breaks my heart. I may just have to follow. I added back the artificial sweetner (I couldn't make it without that!), but NOT the caffeine. My blood sugar numbers are down to normal! They told us in class that stress would make our numbers higher. I guess for me, caffeine stresses my body.

Hi Femme, aren't you surprised at how NOT hungry you are after you cut out (or down on) carbs?

Hi Ella, No wonder we get along - I always get along well with other Aries. I'm anxious to see what you did to your bathroom. When you make your mashed cauliflower, do you add cream cheese? One of my recipes recommends that. BTW - when my sister and I go up to Ogunquit, we're flying in to the Boston airport.

Hi Karen, good to see you again. Your birthday is just 1 day away from my dd's - hers is 2/15. I was climbing over snowdrifts, delivering my nieces and nephews valentine's day cards when I started labor. I love the pics of your travelling pets. My cat sits on the passenger seat - hisses if anyone else tries to sit there. She's so fat, she trips the meter and sets off the bells for the seat belt!

Hi Paula, maybe your scale WAS working and NOW it's broken. You can always hope.

Hi Bobbi, the house market in PA/NJ/FL is pretty slow right now. My bil & sil are trying to sell their houses - 1 in PA and 2 in FL - they've been trying for around a year. They just moved to GA to be near their dd & dgs.

Hi Lyn, I'm so sorry to hear about your bil. Does this mean you're in NJ again?

Hi Theresa, cute post. I was born in 1945 and my dd was born in 1963. Neither of us EVER ate worms or mud pies, but a lot of the rest applies!

Today I hit 15 lbs lost! Since I cut out caffeine, not only is my blood sugar lower, but I seem to be losing faster. Today the AC man is supposed to come check my AC. Sometimes it just won't switch on. Then, after a while it does. After that, I'm taking a neighbor to pick up her new computer.

Yesterday I went looking for the Rethinking Thin discussion. It was not posted - woman said she will post it today on the Maintainers Board - The Maintenance Library area. I'm anxious to get into that discussion.

Hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 06-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Golden Girls. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. I'm hoping the storms that are predicted for tomorrow hold off. We are having our annual "Blue Tip" parade. Wadsworth is where the blue tip matches were made and we have a parade every year for it.

I'm probably going to go to the hospital to talk to the social worker today. She called my step sister Friday and left a message saying that the insurance will only approve 2 places for dad to go with the thrach. Each place is at least an hour away. I have a list of questions to ask and want to know why they are even worrying about where he's going when he leaves the hospital, because there is no way he's ready to go any where.

I'm sitting here finishing my tea and then I'm going to get my shower. I want to be ready when the socail worker calls to set up the appointment.

Theresa- I've read that email before. It is a wonder how we ever grew up when we were young, All those dangers and so little to entertain us. OH THE GOOD OLD DAYS!! These kids today would die for sure if they had to live even one day in our shoes as a child.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Lynn- You snuck in while I was posting. I love the idea that the scale is NOW broken. I guess when I weigh myself on the NOW broken scale I'll just subtract 6 pounds from the weight it says for my TRUE weight!! I love it!

: WOOHOO 15 pounds!!! You go girl!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #158  

Lynn,
I second that! 15 lbs.
that is terrific. Your on your way girl.
I am glad to hear its the caffine not your sweetner that has been giving you problems.
I am thinking about trying less of the carbs as you mentioned. (not the fruits and veggies) I need to find a way to keep on loosing. This last week, I have been bouncing up and down. everyday. 163-163. Its driving me crazy.
I feel like I am hungry most of the day? Is that the carbs?

Lynn,
did you see the fat cat on tv recently? it was about 42 pounds! :eak:
Its head was twice the size of a human head. He got stuck in the door of the neighbors doggy door. Thats how he made the news.
he was one fat

Paula,
your right, todays kids would never make it. They would have to actually do something. like move their butts. Really, we did take a lot of chances with our lives. I see the things we did and realize we are lucky to be here.

Ella,Karen.
your right about the cost of housing.
around here you can get a nice house from $100,000 on up. In my neighbor hood. the houses go for just under that.
My neighbor hood is considered the slums? A lot of rich people get their summer homes here. and The rich folks in cleveland. Like dr's, etc. spend the day on the river and the lake.
My street has about 6 houses for sale, Not selling either. The one next to us has been up for sale for 2 yrs.
one the other side of us is a duplex... 1 yr.
Its a buyers market here. If you haggle, I bet you could get a nice house for less than $95,000.
One good thing... My street has been very quite recently

Bobby,
I hope you hang out when you can.
Hi everyone else.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #159  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, I guess it's obvious that I'm not exactly in huge production mode here at work. Oh, well. Can't be inspired every day, after all!
Paula, sometimes I have to wonder at the medical care that people get these days. Seems like everything revolves around how much they can get the insurance companies to pay. Sometimes you luck out and get a doctor that's willing to stick his/her neck out and plan around the PATIENT'S needs instead of around the needs (or wants) of the health care system, but those are far and few in between, it seems, and getting rarer every day. They like to tell horror stories about socialized medicine, but I'm a great believer in a national health system that would minimize profits to supposedly "non-profit" private hospitals and health care systems. Okay, <stepping quickly down off soapbox>...guess you got my two cent's worth for the day... (don't get ME started) Oh...and about that "broken scale" of yours???? I say GO with it, kid! I take my victories anywhere I can get 'em...
Where are YOU this morning, Phyllis????? C'mon and say hello..
Oh, Lordie, Theresa. I certainly remember the days when I could be gone all day long and be perfectly safe as a kid....now, you can't let them out of your sight, for pete's sake! What a world we've created, eh? And, yeah. The whole housing cost thing is soooo crazy. When Bank of America, which is of course, based in Charlotte, took over BankBoston up here in MA, they couldn't get any of their execs in Charlotte to come up here and oversee the transition. They were all living in $300,000 MANSIONS down there, and a $300,000 mortgage up here would just about get them into a basic 40-year-old NOT-UPDATED ranch with 3 bedrooms and ONE bathroom...forgetabout a garage or much of a yard....can you IMAGINE???? To get what they're living in down there up HERE, they'd be talking $1.5 mil, easy! Crazeee!!!!
Lynn! Congrats on the loss! GREAT GOING!!!! How long is your layover in Boston on the way to Ogunquit?
Karen? Where are you today, M'dear? (Trying to catch up on posts, perhaps? ) Hope you check back in with us soon!
Have we lost Lily & Moxie????

Tah!
Ella
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Hello girls,
My birthday is August 25.

I haven't posted for a while so this one might be a little long.

Bobbi - I would love to have some of those raspberries! Good luck on your move. I'll bet some retired couple that wants to get out of the city will buy your home. Ironic, isn't it?
The housing market in the Twin Cities (MN) depends on the price range. The lower priced homes ($225,000 - $300,000) sell pretty quickly and the homes on the lakes are also selling well. The majority of the homes that are sitting on the market here are in the $500K to 750K+ range. We're not as bad as Boston and other parts of the east coast, but our diverse economy keeps those prices rising.

Theresa - you are catching up to me! Isn't it a pain in the butt being short sometimes? Not just the weight thing, I'm always asking people in the grocery store to reach things off of the top shelves for me. I even had a can fall on my head one day.

Karen - I don't know how you can do anything physical in Colorado (which happens to be my favorite place to visit), we were there last fall and stayed in the Estes Park area. I could barely breathe the five days we were at that altitude. I didn't adjust until we were back in MN. I guess we were supposed to let our bodies adjust gradually at different altitudes.

Phyllis - I'm with you on the coffee. I have always preferred to mix my own. I don't use sweetener, but I can't live without my Coffee-mate.

Paula - hang in there. I think this generation is taking on more and more responsibilities as care-givers and decision makers for our parents. We are facing those big decisions soon and worrying more and more as my MIL is able to do less and less for herself.

Lynn - I agree with you on the carbs. My body is the same way. Even most fruits would bring on the cravings and irritability from the spikes and drops in blood sugar. My co-workers never believe me when I say I can't have a piece of cake or goodies because it would make me "crabbie".

Ella - guess what? My hubby took my lovely bike down from the ceiling right before we left town for the weekend. Now all I need to do is pump up my tires (which is something I can do myself). You will probably need new tires soon with all of that riding you're doing. My bike is a "hybrid" what type do you have?

Femme - loved your puppy pictures. I don't know what we'd do without our little girls. They provide us with so many laughs and lots of love.

Lyn - good luck on WW. It helps to go to a work sponsored program so that you have that support group there as well.

Joanne - have fun on your vacation and don't think about work one minute. I enjoy reading about your "boot camp" sessions.

Hello to Moxie and everyone else I may have missed.

I also have a question I would like to pose. I am considering going off of my Estraderm patch. I have been on it since my total hysterectomy (including ovaries) 16 years ago. Has anyone else been on hormone replacement, and if so what were the benefits of going off? I had a bone density done a few months ago and my results were similar to someone aged 30 years or less (which incidentally will be half my age in August). My doctor says it's up to me, but she is pretty vague about side affects.

Have a good week everyone.

Lily
Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #161  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLily View Post
I also have a question I would like to pose. I am considering going off of my Estraderm patch. I have been on it since my total hysterectomy (including ovaries) 16 years ago. Has anyone else been on hormone replacement, and if so what were the benefits of going off?

Hi Lily,

A few years ago, research came out indicating that HRT was causing heart attacks - before that, it was believed that HRT prevented heart attacks. Since then, I have been off hormones. I don't know about any benefits - except for avoiding the possibility of heart attacks. The downside is the "hot flashes" - a truly HORRIBLE affliction

Lynn
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #162  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn! Congrats on the loss! GREAT GOING!!!! How long is your layover in Boston on the way to Ogunquit?
Hi Ella,

We don't have a layover. We land in Boston & then pick up a car to drive to Ogunquit.

Lynn
Old 06-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #163  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Monday Monday

Hi all,

I'm back- at work anyway. Haven't even been home yet...came straight from Corning (where my DH works) to work this am...left t 5:15 am. ARGhh

Lynn - Will try the turkey cole slaw recipe - looks delicious. Congrats on you great weight loss so far. Maybe I should give up caffine...on second thought, I love my am coffee.

Ella - Yup housing costs are crazy. On Long Island my sister-in-law has an attached 3 bedroom house just over the Queens border in Nasseau County. Three small bedrooms, kitchen, dining room and living room, small yard...assessed at over 400K!! Our house in LeRoy is 3 times as big with a much bigger yard and it is assessed at 85,000 - same as when we bought it 19 years ago!!!

I too am looking at possibly going south to NC. or VA. We also own a condo on Cape Cod that I inherited from my mom, but not sure I want to live on the Cape. The condo is a small 1 bedroom and I would really like a house, but a house there would be mucho bucks.

Theresa - loved the remembering the 50's and 60s. I remember being outside all day, building forts in the woods, climbing tree houses, swimming in my neighbor's flooded yard one summer, and so much more. Ahh the good ole days.

Karen - great photos. Welcome back. Glad you had a great trip

Paula - Good luck with the social worker. I don't envy you dealing with all of that. I hope you dad gets the services he needs.

Weigh-in tonight at TOPs. I walked for 75 minutes outside at lunch HOt Hot Hot. Hopefully I sweat some wt off!!

Lyn
Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Ladies,
I just got this in an email and thought it was to cute not to share!! Be back later.......Karen

This is just fun!

THE LAND OF SANDRA DEE

Long ago and far away,
In a land that time forgot,
Before the days of Dylan
Or the dawn of Camelot.
There lived a race of innocents,
And they were you and me,
Long ago and far away
In the Land of Sandra Dee.

Oh, there was truth and goodness
In that land where we were born,
Where navels were for oranges,
And Peyton Place was porn.
For Ike was in the White House,
And Hoss was on TV,
And God was in his heaven

We longed for love and romance,
And waited for the prince,
And Eddie Fisher married Liz,
And no one's seen him since.
We danced to "Little Darlin'",
And sang to "Stagger Lee"
And cried for Buddy Holly

Only girls wore earrings then,
And three was one too many,
And only boys wore flat-top cuts,
Except for Jean McKinney.
And only in our wildest dreams
Did we expect to see
A boy named George with Lipstick

We fell for Frankie Avalon,
Annette was oh, so nice,
And when they made a movie,
They never made it twice.
We didn't have a Star Trek Five,
Or Psycho Two and Three,
Or Rocky-Rambo Twenty

Miss Kitty had a heart of gold,
And Chester had a limp,
And Reagan was a Democrat
Whose co-star was a chimp.
We had a Mr. Wizard,
But not a Mr T,
And Oprah couldn't talk yet

We had our share of heroes,
We never thought they'd go,
At least not Bobby Darin,
Or Marilyn Monroe.
For youth was still eternal,
And life was yet to be,
And Elvis was forever,

We'd never heard of microwaves,
Or telephones in cars,
And babies might be bottle-fed,
But they were not grown in jars.
And pumping iron got wrinkles out,
And "gay" meant fancy-free,
And dorms were never coed

We hadn't seen enough of jets
To talk about the lag,
And microchips were what was left
At the bottom of the bag.
And Hardware was a box of nails,
And bytes came from a flea,
And rocket ships were fiction

Buicks came with portholes,
And side shows came with freaks,
And bathing suits came big enough
To cover both your cheeks.
And Coke came just in bottles,
And skirts came to the knee,
And Castro came to power

We had no Crest with fluoride,
We had no Hill Street Blues,
We all wore superstructure bras
Designed by Howard Hughes.
We had no patterned pantyhose
Or Lipton herbal tea
Or prime-time ads for condoms

And middle-aged was thirty-five
And old was forty-three,
And ancient were our parents

But all things have a season,
Or so we've heard them say,
And now instead of Maybelline
We swear by Retin-A.
And they send us invitations
To join AARP,
We've come a long way, baby,
>From the Land of Sandra Dee.

So now we face a brave new world
In slightly larger jeans,
And wonder why they're using
Smaller print in magazines.
And we tell our children's children
Of the way it used to be,
Long ago and far away

Anonymous
Old 06-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #165  

WoodLilly,
As the youngest here, I can tell you…I just got off my hormones. I weaned myself at the Dr’s recommendations.
I took my time as he told me to. The next month after I took my last pill, I started to hot flash AGAIN. Only mildly. Thank God!

You’re lucky about the bones.
I have hereditary Osteoporosis. It has just recently started. So I am lucky.

I think Bobby went cold turkey on hers and I don’t think she had any problems at all.

Lyn
You said your hubby works for Corning?
Is that related to Ciba Corning?

My hubby worked at a Ciba Corning years ago.

They got bought out by Bayer. And Bayer closed them and went
to Ireland! My hubby had 12 yrs there almost. And had to start all over.
Thank God, He got into Ford almost 2 ½ yrs ago.

Hey Lyn, Are you sure we didn’t grow up in the same place? LOL.
Sounds like the way we were too.

Bad mitten, Baseball, Climbing trees, Fording Rivers, Skating on the river,sleeping out side in tents or igloos.
You name it. We did it.

Good luck with your Weigh in At Tops. You can do it.

Karen,
That was a cute poem.
I remember Payton Place.

I was never allowed to see it. Wasn’t it just like a soap opera?

And I remember my first sighting of a Microwave, in 1969. The year I turned 12.
I also remember, in 5th gr. we thought the age 40 was VERY OLD. And that when the yr. 2000 came we would be way old.
That was 7 yrs ago... and I am NOT OLD.
Not even close.

well I am off for now.
have a great evening.
Closed Thread