Old 05-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

No, I didn't need stitches, but it wouldn't have helped anyway. It wasn't a thin cut, more like a chunk of flesh gone.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #17  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

UGH - that's going to take a while to heal.

This afternoon is dragging...
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #18  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Annie- Hope you finger heals quickly.

Welcome to all the newbies!

As of today I'm up 10lbs from last summer, I'm so depressed. I didn't feel like exercising, forced myself to do 20min. on the bike. I'm lowering my calories by 200 everyday to try and lose this weight. I did good today with calories & felt better physically by eating less. I actually think I was eating too much for a person my size( 1300-1400cal.) I felt too full & lazy, after my huge breakfast. If I cut breakfast calories down, i will be right on target with calories for the day. If this doesn't work, than there is something medically wrong or I'm just getting old!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

FL-Unfortunately, I don't think age is on our side here. We just have to figure out how to stay healthy and happy while getting slimmer. How is your daughter doing?

I was so mad tonight. I bought 4 nectarines at the store, just trying to mix it up with the fruit we eat. Every single one was black on the inside.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #20  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Annie- Thanks, She saw a doctor today, they are thinking about doing an EKG since the E.R didn't do it. She goes to her pediatrician on Wed. for a follow up too. She's eating better & her blood pressure is good now, but she still gets light headed and feels like she is going to faint sometimes. I don't get it. I love nectarines, sorry yours were black. I'm always getting bad fruit, guess it's cause I buy so much of it, I'm bound to get some duds!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #21  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Annie - Hope your finger feels better. Fruitlady - sorry you are struggling, but wow, looking at the big picture your total weight loss is awesome!

I ate healthy for the most part....but then fell off the wagon with some leftover cake from my big weekend event. Totally stress related, as I am freaking out about my youngest son's schooling for next year and having problems coordinating therapies at his current clinic. It all gets to be too emotionally overwhelming sometimes, and at that second, cake helps.

Of course, now, I regret it. The sick thing is I am still stressed and still thinking about having more cake.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #22  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Another day of running around in the rain and chill trying to shop and get things done! I have a Mother/Daughter luncheon tomorrow with Mom at my church which is also when they announce the start of the Prayer Shawl Ministry I'm involved in.

Vino, welcome, glad to have you join us!

annie, your poor finger! I hope it heals quickly!

NP, let's put it this way. We had to turn the heat back on!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #23  
Passionate About Wine

S/C/G: 199.6/195.0/150

Height: 5'5''

Guacamole: Living in Naples is interesting, that's for sure. I love living in Italy but it definitely has its challenges. For example, there is trash EVERYWHERE in Naples. Seriously, 10 foot high, piles of trash on just about every street. It is so disgusting. Often, trash piles block streets. I have to be on rat alert when I put my kids on the school bus. The thing is, I can generally overlook that kind of stuff because I find the european experience so exciting and the cultural education my kids are getting makes it all worthwhile. I do look forward to the day I move back to Northern Virginia, though. Also, many Italians don't like to stand in line or take turns. It's a cultural thing and I can usually find humor in it, but sometimes it really frustrates me.

As for my own personal life here in Italy. I won't lie. I'm a happy, content person. Most of the time. The best part of participating in this forum for me, is to get a glimpse into parts of other peoples lives they don't generally show to the public. It's good to know we all have stuggles, insecurities, compulsions, etc. For some of us, like me, those things tend to manifest themselves in poor food habits and weight gain. Others participate in different kinds of destructive behavior. It's really helps my self esteem, and my motivation, to know I'm not alone in this struggle. An example... I used to look at someone who was fit and trim, attractive and immaculate and think, wow, they've got it together. Why can't I be like that? Then, I would be intimated by them because I would see them as somehow better, or more, than me. Now, I see the same person and think, come on, you know you're screwed up, too. Let's share a bottle of wine and laugh at ourselves.

I hope you have a fabulous day!
apassionato di vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 178/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Good morning, all.

After eating all wrong this weekend, I wanted sugar sooo badly yesterday, but I held out--until evening when I had one mug of cocoa. Not bad--about 120 calories. Weight is down a bit--water loss always accompanies me getting off the sugar train.

Didn't get to my workout in the afternoon--I knew this was going to be a problem for me. On the other hand, I got a whole lot of stuff down around the house. I think I've been pushing myself too hard, trying to fit everything into my day, that I wasn't getting much accomplished. So, when I cut out one thing, suddenly I was able to to do a whole lot more. Doesn't make sense on the screen, but it makes sense in my head.

Anyway, nice as it was to get the house-stuff done, I need to exercise. So I will try again today to get to the gym for a workout.

Annie--sorry to hear about your finger, but your story is a bit drab. How about you were feeding your pet dragon and didn't get your fingers out of the way fast enough?

Vino--It's interesting how something that would be very rude in one culture, is acceptable in another. I found the not standing in line thing to be true in China, too, and, oh boy, did it irritate me until I shifted my attitude and learned to join the mob instead of lining up and being annoyed that no one else was doing the same.

Have a great day, everyone.
KittehMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

Apassionato - I am laughing at your post - a few months ago I found a letter from my brother that he'd written me when I was a preteen and had moved to Italy (he remained in the U.S. - 11 year age diff) and he wrote to not expect other countries to be as clean as the US was, to not focus on all the garbage all over Naples, etc. My dad was listening to me reread this letter out loud as we were all laughing ... he said you know WHY it was so filthy then? There was a garbage strike and the trash was piled up 10 feet on the streets and being dumped in the Bay. Ha ha - toooo funny.

After our visit in Feb., my hubby was actually trying to think of ways we could move there - what could we DO to live there I'm all for trying! I'd love to live outside Florence but could never afford it at all. But that just feels like "home" to me as we spent a lot of time there when I was growing up. So far, all we've come up with is a B&B idea.

OK - got up early and got in a good workout on the treadmill. Was able to stay kind of within points last night foodwise because I went for a walk with the dog in the RAIN and we were both soaked and cold and got showers upon return home. To my delight and to her misery. DH came home and was hungry and kind of seemed miffed that I wasn't goign to have a big meal with him so he just went to the kitchen and made a pb&j sandwich and cottage cheese with peaches and grabbed a banana and didn't say much at all. I said to him that he cannot get mad if I choose to eat less - it's my choice ... i think he's thinking I'll lose weight and lose my boobs. Which I wouldn't mind losing some to fit into my great sexy bras that are just sitting in another drawer waiting to be used again. Oh well ... i can't control someone else's feelings/thoughts.

Back in the low 40s again this morning. I WANT HEAT. (remind me of this when I'm sweltering walking the trail in the 90s).

Guac - don't stress about the cake - can you get in more activity today? That'll burn some stress!!

Annie - that drives me bonkers, too - we got bad berries but I was too lazy to take them back.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #26  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Today is supposed to be pretty nice, however its 50* outside but at least its not raining! I might have to dig out a sweater and a coat!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/118

Hi all

Happy Tuesday - doen with 3rd work out required out of 6 for the week - did the uber hard kick boxing one..

Annie - sorry about your injury - ouch!!! hate it when chunks go MIA..

FL - sorry your daughter is still struggling - hope that they figure it out and get her help

back to more meetings for me..
SILLYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Hi everyone..there are so many here...I hope to get to know you all soon and be able to respond to you all...

I'm on the Atkins diet the next few days or maybe a week to get back into the low carb fat burning mode....It is the only thing that has been successful for me but I cannot be in the induction period for too long.

Did anyone see Dr Oz yesterday? He was talking about a diet and I got all excited about it until he concluded that it wasnt' healthy. Oy vey...at this point is there a healthy diet that works? I think you could criticize every diet, you just have to find one that works for you. The "non diet" mentality does not work for me...I need structure.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 172/159/120

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

Hi all! Am new here, a fellow 40-somethingish who just finally got a user id today. I don't yet know how to set-up all the fancy thingamajings yet...but will do so shortly and update my profile info as well.

Like you all, I am trying to lose weight and would like to commiserate and cheer on others in the same boat. It is definitely more challenging as you age and seems to defy science. Less in, more energy burned and get on the scale and very little weight loss if any. Bummer!

On the bright side, I did manage to lose ten pounds on my own over the last two months by just working out regularly every morning as opposed to sitting on my rear like I have done for the past four years, which is exactly the reason I am overweight in the first place. I wasn't dieting per se, but did cut out all bread and pasta. I did eat carbs, just not baked bread or pasta.

I would like to lose another 40 lbs. but am focusing on the next ten lbs. I am researching diets I would like to try. For now I picked up this great book at the lib:
Hungry Girl 300 under 300 (Read reviews at AMZN, 5 star all the way)
I am going to start by watching my caloric count. I'll see where that takes me.

So, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Would love to be a part of your group here if you'll have me.

Have a wonderful today!

Natalie
NE Jersey USA
159 lbs shooting for 120 LBS

Last edited by Natz; 05-03-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Natz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #30  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hey Natalie! Welcome - looking forward to getting to "know" you! Sounds like you're off to a super start - way to go!

I'm all jazzed here - the SUN is out. I feel like on the news tonight they're going to warn the residents here "Don't be alarmed! That big yellow ball in the sky is just the SUN. You haven't seen it for a long time..."

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Thinking I'll do fajitas for dinner tonight. Have oddball errands to run right after work, and rented The Green Hornet to watch with hubby tonight - it's much, much more for him. He had a crummy day at work yesterday, so I though we'd veg out a bit. But I want to walk the trail with the pooch before dinner. I can't cram in three hours of stuff into an hour. Hm.