Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #121  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Julie...I am weighing myself at home on my digital scale. I am also exercising on my own. There are a couple of exercise shows on the tube early in the morning I try to do at least 10 minutes of "BOOT CAMP", walk the dog, plus additional walking when I can. I wear a pedometer to keep track of how much or how little I am actually moving through the day. It calculates calories burned as well. You can pick one up at Wal-Mart...cheap. There are also exepnsive ones if you prefer more bells and whistles.

I've done Weight Watchers so many times in the past and it always worked for me, I just never stuck to it. So, I have the knowledge of what to do, I just need to apply it!

Hopefully I can ward off the "FUNK" for as long as possible!!

I think this site may just be the key that has been missing from my weight loss tool kit!

Thank you all again for the kind words and support!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #122  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Julie – If you are still having trouble with pics, please feel free to IM me your questions. The easiest thing to do for posting multiple pics is to get a photobucket account and then you can link to those using the URL’s they give you. In 3FC, you can only put in pics for your avatar and for your pic in your profile (I think – someone please correct me if I am wrong). I just picked a day to count as my official weigh in day. I like the idea of the accountability of WW, but I am too cheap to pay the money. There is another group called TOPS that I know some people attend, but there aren’t any convenient meetings in my area.

Lisa – That is so exciting that the day is finally here! It sounds like there some good choices. I hope they are all tasty.

Kymberly – That is a very cool NSV – larges! So are you shopping in “regular” stores mostly now? I can’t wait to have more options in the clothes department. The plus-size clothes I like I mostly can’t afford.

Annie – Congratulations on the amazing inches lost! All that exercise is definitely having its effect!

Sharon – 8 pounds is amazing!!! I am glad you are feeling ok so far.

Karen - Way to go on being down 6 pounds – that is fantastic!!

Lesley – You will get to know us all eventually, and you will also see faces come and go. Don’t worry about remembering people or doing personals.

Jill – I am glad you are getting a much-deserved day off. Your work schedule sounds insane! I hate those traffic days too. In fact, yesterday we also had some snow and when I got on the highway it barely moved for at least 20 minutes, so I got off at the next exit and worked from home in the morning. I got stuck in something really awful last week and it took me almost 2 hours to get to work. All I can say is thank goodness for books on tape.

Brenda – Sorry to hear that your migraines are so severe that you needed to go for a CAT scan.

Michelle – That must have been scary having that allergic reaction to the medication! I

It took until midnight to get the Gazelle put together (it was a bit tricky). As others said, it is a piece of exercise equipment that is a glider. You stand up on it and then swing your legs back and forth in a striding motion. It is good because it is low impact and it is also fairly affordable. Another plus is that it folds up and moves fairly easily. I am a bit worried about the width of it, as I have fairly large hips and I seem to just fit. I didn’t get a chance to use it last night since it took so long to put it together.

I am thinking no on the apartment I looked at last night. The woman who owned it was really nice, but it just didn’t feel right. I realize that I really like places with hallways that lead into rooms rather then getting to rooms through other rooms. I need to sit down and seriously look at my budget to see if I can afford a bit more than I have been looking at or if maybe I need to consider a roommate instead. I don’t want to tell you how expensive housing is here – it is horrendous.

I am having dinner tonight with a friend from the gym and tomorrow I am taking a mental health day and giving myself a long weekend. I do have an appointment at the eye doctor at 1:30, but otherwise I have the day to myself to do whatever. I have been so exhausted lately, and I hope that I can recharge my batteries a little bit.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #123  
JULIE

S/C/G: 304/300/160

Height: 5'7

Hey Karen- Thanks for the response, I'll have to weigh in then on a certain day also. I've been looking for a Jazzersice DVD but haven't found one yet they all seem to be Yoga and Aerobics-probably pretty close to jazzercise. My son is 10 and a little chunky and I see him starting to worry about his size already and want to find something we can do together. It is just him and I and like I mentioned in my profile I feel am a bad influence on him. I think he has been a huge factor in my reasons to lose weight but not the only reason. I have Spring fever so bad, Evan cannot wait until we can be outside practicing baseball and walking around. I think winter has really gotten me down this year and I need to get motivated to excercise. It is so hard to sit here and look for a job....I've never been without a job...I've always been very physical working factories all my life ie: maintaining a warehouse and driving forklift. When my job shut it's doors and offered schooling paid for and being on unemployment the last two years it has been a struggle but becoming an LPN now is something totally different I use my brain now and not brawn...lol. Thanks for listening I needed to vent and let you ladies know exactly where I'm coming from ....Wheew that felt good.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #124  
sandybar

S/C/G: 350/289/150

Height: 5' 1"

Brenda~I'm glad the cat scan went well. I had one when I was hospitalized last fall. I was scared I wouldn't fit too. I went in feet first up to my head. And, there was plenty of room. I don't know if our hospital has a larger sized one or if they even come in different sizes. But, it was scary nonetheless.

Nancy~Hooray! You got your gazelle!!! I love mine! I'm so sorry the apartment didn't work out last night. But, I'm so glad you know what you want. That'll help you not "just settle" for something and be unhappy.

Lisa~I'm glad the foods sound good. I'm sure you'll like them. They've come a long way with foods for programs like yours. I'd never think you're a goof ball. You seem to be very well read actually. Check out this link.
http://www.homefitnessclub.com/buy/A...lle_Power_Plus

Mechelle~Andy bought the Gazelle Power Plus. It holds up to 350 pounds I think, maybe more. The box or ad will say. We can add resistance to ours. And it is strong! I don't get scared on it at all cuz it's so sturdy. That was the reason we bought this one. And it doesn't hurt my knees. Sometimes my feet will hurt after a while, but I'm sure that will go away as I get smaller and when I get some crocs or doc martins. They're pricey, but from what I've read and heard from people who have had crocs (my DD) and doc martins (my doctor and sil) they're worth the cost and last longer than the sneakers I break down with in a few months.

Kymberly~What a great NSV!!! I'll be happy when I get to a 2X, but when I get down to just a Large, man, I'm gonna have a party! Not really, but emotionally, absolutely! Way to Go!!!
OMG! I just read Wyllenn's post. Girl, You rock!! How long have you been on your weight loss journey. 113 pounds is wonderful!!

Wyllenn~ I owed medium shirts once, about 18 years ago actually. lol
I will get there again. I have found that I feel really weird about getting rid of my 4X shirts. They're plenty loose, and 3Xs are fitting fine. But it's just weird. I haven't managed to get rid of any of them yet. I guess that should be a new goal. To get rid of my 4x shirts by the end of spring. Hopefully, the 3xs will be getting real loose by then too.

Sharon~I'm still, so so proud of you on your new program. I really admire you and Lisa for doing this. I've found a clinic that's about 30 miles from us that offers a similar program. I haven't called or emailed them yet....... I would like to know what it costs. It's probably out of your budget. Great Job on 8 pounds gone! I think that's great! You'll do just fine. And remember, you've cut your calories way down, so your body might actually be bad at you and may be hanging on to a little weight. It'll come down, I'm certain! Did you take measurements too???

Karen, Woo Hoo, Six pounds, that's awesome!!

Peggy~I still think it's cool counting your steps, and seeing the progress every day. Too bad I'm not going to Home Depot with you. We have one in town that's been open over a year now and I still haven't been inside. I'm afraid I'd want to buy too much stuff.

Lesley~Have a great day! And you're right of course, this is the best site I've ever been on.

Jill~Drive safely!! And enjoy your long weekend! You've earned it!!

Julie~Sorry about all those surgeries! The gazelle video that comes with the machines, comes with exercises to show you how to strengthen you abs and back muscles. And different legs exercise moves too. It's a great machine. Never ever worry about venting here. We all need to do it sometimes.

Mechelle~How dreadful to be allergic to the medicine that's suppose to be helping you. I hope they get it regulated soon. I know how hard it is on you to go through getting meds regulated. I posted the link for the gazelle we got above with Lisa. Hope it helps.
Today is ok so far. But, It's not quite noon yet. lol
I plan to go grocery shopping today if I can bring myself to get out the door. I'll check in later.

Last edited by sandybar; 03-08-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: trying to fix the link
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #125  
aka Karen

Hey jewlz...You can check eBay for lots of fitness DVD's and Video tapes. Leslie Sansone is good (just a little annoying sometimes), she does a lot of walking, 1 mile, 2 mile, etc. You do it right there in your home. Your little guy can do them with you. They are basic, but effective.

I know how frieghtening it can be to be without a job and have a child to support. I feel for you. But I can tell you from experience, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and who knows how far you will go with your new career! You sound like a super person who will fit right into the health care field. Then you can give us all "tips"! I, too had physical jobs all of my life, until I left the 20 year ordeal in the grocery "meat room" about 3 years ago to start my own business. Most of my work is done on the computer, and my body has retaliated in the form of lots of pounds put on, high BP, bad joints....BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!

When I read the article in this month's "O" mag about this site, I logged on to check it out and have been pleasantly surprised by all of the support and kind words that are offered here.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

Hi everyone! I just found this place a few days ago. And I've been basically browsing for a few days trying to get the feel for the place. I just spent like a half an hour reading the posts in this thread trying to learn about everyone, but i don't think any of it really stuck in my head. oh well. So, as I said in my general introduction post, I'm an on-again off-again dieter (i don't really like that word, but i haven't come up with a better one, lol) The good news is that in the past few months I lost 20 pounds without realizing it cause i stopped keeping track..well i stop trying at all i guess. But now I'm putting some effort back into it. I work in a bakery/deli...which isn't as bad as it sounds cause after standing over a doughnut fryer for an hour or so you really loose your appetite. Actually, I think this job is the reason i lost those 20 pounds. Anyway, so a few of us at work decided to start a "biggest loser" thing and support each other, which is what got me motivated in the first place. So, I'm cutting way back on my pop until it's gone from the house (i'm a huge sierra mist free freak...and when it goes on sale i stock up, so i probably have like 5 six packs in the basement) I dunno if i can go straight to water, it makes me gag if i drink to much of it..so i'm thinking for now Imma go with crystal light, which is pretty much like drinking water, right? Strawberry kiwi is my preferred flavor and i was reading the label and it has no sugar/carbs/sodium and only 5 caloriers per 8 ounces, so i don't think thats too bad. I also need to break out my WATP videos and get my dad to bring our treadmill back in from the porch ( we moved it out so we had a place for the christmas tree and never brought it back in) But anyway, my biggest motivator right now is clothes...i want pretty clothes!! So, my plan is that for every pound i lose I'm going to put a dollar in a jar/bottle and when i meet my goal I will some pretty good spending money for a new wardrobe.
I don't really want to go on a specific diet because i don't think i could stick to it in the long run, I'm more about portion control and calorie counting. Oh, and also, right down the street from me is a physical therapy place that offers a wellness program. basically what it is, it allows you (for a small $10 fee a month) use their facillities as a gym. I did it over this past summer a few times and it was really nice cause it's a small place and not that many people are in there. I think each time i went there was only one other person besides my friend. So it's not really intimidating and the nurses who work there are really helpful, they show you how to use the equipment and such. I know personally i think going to a real gym is very intimidating because of all the people who know what they are doing and they always seem to be so skinny etc... I dunno if other physical therapy places do that, but if any of you are looking for something like that it's worth a shot to ask.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #127  
EmilyMay is on her way!

S/C/G: 314/294/168

Height: 5'7"

Blimey so much news from so many

Right, first off, I've just been to the gym and am doing well with my exercise goal of 900 in March - so pleased with that! 300 mins done already.

Also - Kymbereley your weight loss is amazing, well done for all your hard work!! Congratulations!!

Sharon - wow 8 pounds! Blimey that is good. Well done on keeping off the food and I bet u enjoyed that chew!!

Annie - well done on planning on going back to WW and getting back on the bike, I'm proud of u and your doing soo great.

Jill - day no 1 - back on track, well done I find day 1's the hardest to get through!

Lisa - good luck and go girl with the new plan!!

Nancy - good luck with deciding what to do about where to live, its a toughie to work out the best move, so good luck!

Ammi - thinking of you hunny x

Catherine - how are u doing??

Everyone else - keep up the good work

Em x
Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #128  
sandybar

S/C/G: 350/289/150

Height: 5' 1"

Lee Ann~ To 3fc. I love it here. Everyone is just amazing in the support they give. I truly don't know if I would have made any progress on my own. People really do become good friends on this site. So, welcome!
I have a really hard time with water so I drink A LOT of decaf green tea WITHOUT sugar. Personally, I love the $1 in a jar for every pound lost. I had planned on doing that, but haven't done it. Your post about new clothes has me planning to decorate a jar just for me and clothes. I'll have to hide it from my sd. . I've been on ww too and did very well..17-18 years ago. But really can't afford it at this point in time. It's a great program, really. But, I really like using fitday.com to count calories, check my daily nutrients intake etc. And it's free. I get the support I need from everyone here. And my family of course. Make sure you at least read the posts every day. If I blow it off, that's when I start to do poorly,

Em, I gotta tell ya'. You're just the cutest thing. I thing that every single time I read your posts. And you;'e plugging right along on your exercise goal. That rocks!!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #129  

Hey all, I was lurking but wanted to pop in and comment on the Weight Watcher's thing. I started in Feb 05 using the old WW materials I had from the late 1990's and coming here for support. A lady on this site had joined, quit and rejoined and sent me her extra set of materials free. Really, how points are calculated hasn't changed much, other than they cap fiber at 4 now. After more than a year I used the "code" in the newer book to sign up on WeightWatchers.com. I now am a "legal" member on-line and have use of their e-tools, etc. But you can actually get books and sliders on eBay...I'm not sure how - since they are copy-writed, but you can. You can also use most of WW.com without membership. I pay about $12.00 per month for the membership/e-tools though. Also, I think they are waiving annual fees still, thru March, maybe? So you could join for a few weeks to get the newer materials. Most places also have "stores" where you meet and you can buy point calculators, dining-out guides, etc. from them with no membership required.

Just FYI!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Lee Ann! I hope you love this group!!

Julie -- I'm a calorie counter. I started off just watching portions and it progressed to counting. Now I have a focus on healthy eating, so I not only count calories, but try to eat fruits and veggies every day, eat whole grains, get enough protein, etc.

I think whatever plan you use, you need to develop tools to allow you to change your lifestyle forever. Sometimes it takes a while to come up with a plan, and then they sometimes change over time as our goals and lifestyles change.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #131  
EmilyMay is on her way!

S/C/G: 314/294/168

Height: 5'7"

Aw Sandy!! Thanks so much that really made me smile and feel great at the end of a long day so thanks for that - huge hugs to u xx
Old 03-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #132  
JULIE

S/C/G: 304/300/160

Height: 5'7

Wow so much information from everyone I appreciate it all!

Karen- I've never thought of e-Bay....sorta leary of it but I'll check it out thanks.

Wyllenn-Although I don't know how to really count calories "yet" I will hopefully come up with a stragety for myself soon and I agree portioning foods and seeing results will definately lift the spirits and help me make it a lifestyle !

Lee Ann- I am new also, you will enjoy it here I'm sure.

Sandy- I agree with needing to stay in touch and read posts it is very helpful to keep a person on track and remember what we are all here for.... Support, Acceptance, Information.....Best of all FRIENDS !!

Nancy- I haveno idea what photobucket is but maybe down the road I will find a way to put some more pics on here...it can wait I guess, my computer literacy isn't that great.....lol. Let us know how you like the Gazelle

By the way can anyone please let me know the "slang"
(DD) (nsv)...for the longest time I thought (TOM) was someones husband....ha ha. I figured it though...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #133  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Toofat-I certainly understand about waiting out insurance. I hope I didn’t seem too harsh. I had a dear friend die several years ago because of a blood clot after having her knee replaced. She had been in the hospital so long that after she went home she didn’t want to go back just because it was hurting.

Breathless-I’ve been able to cut my BP meds down 6 times while losing weight. I don’t recommend doing it without doctor supervision, but I’ve had to regulate it on my own at times because like my doctor kept telling me, I’m a science project. He’d never had a patient who was so large, lose so much without surgery. You know your body better than anyone, but be careful. I’ve never heard of anyone being allergic to BP meds, but I suppose that happens with any kind of medicine. Thankfully it wasn’t worse.

Julie-making small changes can make all the difference. I had trouble with water at first, and I started drinking sugar free koolaid. It’s not the best solution, but it got me drinking, and that’s the important thing. I raised two foster sons. I constantly worried that I was setting a bad example. I just kept telling them not to make the same bad choices that I had, and I kept them moving. The oldest is in the Navy, and the youngest is on a baseball scholarship. It isn’t easy, but it’s possible. Your son will have the advantage of watching you change your lifestyle. Mine only had my words, yours will see your actions.

Annie-Don’t let your husband suck your braces off!! Losing inches is huge. Switching fat for muscle can account for all the scale swinging that you are experiencing.

Brenda-Planning ahead is key. I seem to take food with me wherever I go.

Kymberly-I remember when I put on a 2X for the first time in years. I had been in 3-4X’s for a decade. The big shirts just gradually fit better so I never thought about wearing a smaller size. I accidentally got one of my roommate’s shirts in my laundry, and it fit. It fit so well that I actually felt uncomfortable in it. I was used to wearing large comfy stuff.

Julie-I also have the old gall bladder scar. Since I’ve lost weight it has migrated about 4 inches lower. My new doctor couldn’t figure out what I had done. I also had a nasty back injury, so I know what you are talking about. I found that situps worked best for me. My core muscles haven’t been this strong ever.

Sandy-I miss going to Home Depot. There is one here, but it’s too far away. We have lots of malls and underground pedways here because of well all the snow and stuff. I just wish I could walk. My feet have been screwed up ever since I tried doing the bicycle everyday. Once Plantar gets stirred up, it stays that way for awhile. I taught a two hour class last night, and can barely walk today. It’s starting to scare me that I’m going to end up back in the wheel chair at this rate.

LeeAnn-Welcome. I am also a former rebound, merry-go-round, retro-gressive, yo-yo, habitual or bounce back dieter. The only way to fail is to give up, so I don’t care what people call it as long as I keep trying.

Emily-I’m doing okay. 90% of my food choices have been fine. Not being physically able to exercise is starting to worry me. I don’t want to have cortisone shots in my feet because that is a slippery slope. Once you start those, you have to keep having them or have surgery. I’m thinking about trying these Plantar Fasciitis splints that keep your feet at a 90 degree angle while you sleep. They’d be uncomfortable, but are supposed to keep the tendon stretched at night so that it doesn’t contract and cause pain the next day.

I’m just trying to tread water. Sometimes through this process I’ve felt like a great wave was carrying me along effortlessly. Other times I have swam against a riptide. Right now, I’m just treading water and trying to get going again.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #134  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlz 42 View Post
By the way can anyone please let me know the "slang" (DD) (nsv)...for the longest time I thought (TOM) was someones husband....ha ha. I figured it though...
heh, TOM took me a while to figure out as well. DD is "dear [or darling] daughter," and NSV is a "non-scale victory," like when the scale isn't moving much but you notice improvements in how you feel, your level of fitness, how clothing is fitting better, etc.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #135  
aka Karen

Julie, don't be leary of eBay. I've been earning a living there for over 4 years. It's quite fun, actually.

You really must just check it out. No harm in that, right! I think you will be amazed at how many things are available at a fraction of the retail. Just look for a reputable seller with good feedback.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
Closed Thread