20-Somethings BL Corner Temporary forum for Biggest Loser Challenge

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #271  

S/C/G: 120kg/98.6kg/85kg

Height: 5'7"

Nienna – It’s nice to hear that you’re doing better this week. I have the same fear of heights but I’ve decided that I can’t keep being afraid of trying new things.

Jelbelle – I never understood Shakespeare when I had to study it in school. I needed to get the book that had the original Shakespeare text on one side and then a modern day translation on the other.

KimL1214 – I didn’t end up adding up my calories. I was definitely over because I ate foods that I typically wouldn’t touch. The scale was up this morning but I’m hoping that I’m just holding on to some water. Congrats on reaching your 10% goal, that’s awesome!! I have to admit, I did need to Google what piercing you got and all I can say is OUCH!!!

Today has been a much better day for me food wise. I decided that I’d cook up a bit of a storm so that I had enough for 2 days worth of food. I figure that I won’t have to worry about what I’ll be eating tomorrow and I know that it will all be within my calories.

Wednesday & Thursday Question: When it comes to advice, the main thing that I follow is that we’re all human and we’re going to have good days and bad days. We all have it in ourselves to shake off the bad days and pick ourselves up. I’m not perfect but I’m learning that if I just keep going I’ll get to where I want to be. My second piece of advice would be to Start Reading Labels. I had never bothered reading ingredients or calories on things before I started this lifestyle change. I’d just pick up whatever I wanted and throw it in the basket. Now I probably spend an extra 15minutes in the shops comparing labels and working out whether or not it will fit into my plan.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #272  

S/C/G: 279/See Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Wednesday & Thursday Question:
1. Before I go to the grocery store to do the dreaded grocery buying, I plan out my lunches/dinners for the next two weeks. That way I know what I will be eating and what the caloric/nutritional information is. Even though I sometimes will stray from the schedule I've mapped out and have a date night out to dinner with the future hubby, it's nice to have an idea of the meals I can make, and that I'm still eating healthy.
2. If you are counting calories, count EVERYTHING. Yes, milk is great for you, but it is still calories. Yes, vegetables are great for you too, but are still calories. If you are in this for the long haul you need to give it your best shot on everything.

Hmm.. pretty excited to have gained 5.5 lbs over night... was even more excited for TOM to be here this morning. Ugh. I've just been having the crappiest two weeks ever. Future hubby has quit smoking, so anyone that has had to deal with that will understand the frustration that comes with their irritability over EVERYTHING. lol. But I'm soo happy for Jay, since he is doing this for him this time and is a week and a half in! Just wish he wasn't so darn irritable over everything.

We are going out for a surprise date night on Friday. Jay moved to Michigan from Las Vegas about two years ago, and has never been to Windsor, Canada. He is a web designer and signed two new clients this week so I wanted to take him out to celebrate that, his not smoking, and his support for me with my diet. So I'm kidnapping him and taking him across the border into Canada. We are going to this amazing sushi restaurant that I have heard nothing but RAVE reviews about called Hikari. I'm super, super excited to go, but it's been hard keeping the secret rendezvous from Jay. All he knows is that we are having date night. The only thing I have left to do is find our passports without him knowing. Haha

Any of you ladies have big plans for the weekend?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #273  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Jelbelle: Yes I agree, nary a romantic figure to be found in the readings you mentioned! I am jealous, my outlandish dream is to work in publishing as an editor (do it a bit freelance on the side currently)- I don't even particularly want to write, I realize I'm too lazy for that. But I love other people's work and ideas and trying to make it better. Unfortunately I studied Biochem and French and then compounded that with public health, so yeah, nothing to do with what I'd actually love to be doing. I too am hoping I can be in Onederland by the end of the year. Fingers TIGHTLY crossed!

Nienna: Persuasion is actually my favourite Jane Austen, followed by P&P. My least fave is S&S, my fingers ITCHED to smack Marianne, I mean honestly! I think all your possible ideas sound really good, even though diverse. But I definitely see how that could make it harder and more risky making a decision. I always try to remember that I'm stressing for nothing, because I'll choose what I'll choose and what'll be will be, irrespective of the stress but it's tough! Re the 5-lb challenge: thanks! I was so pleased! How's stuff going for you this week?

KimL1214: I think I'll follow your advice and keep the overall goal weight where it is for now. I hope everything is going better for you now. About your piercing, ouch!

oOPeanutOo: I think you're totally right about good days and bad days. That's pretty good advice. And yay you for being back on plan! What did you make (re: cooking up a storm)?

excitedtolose: 5.5 lbs overnight + time of month! Yes they're probably linked but even when you know, it still 100% SUCKS!!!! Sorry. I think your advice is really key. I too have found planning out every meal a week in advance is really helpful to staying on plan. And with the second one too, you're so right: for the longest time I used to count the cereal but not the milk and then I realized the milk had MORE calories than the cereal eek! And then switched to skim milk lite (i.e. white-colored water/ milk wash)... ah well... The surprise date night sounds such a good idea: taking him across the border... hmmm I might steal that someday when it becomes relevant. Ah well.. Have fun this weekend!

Today has kind of been blegh for me. Literally. I felt a little stomach flu-y yesterday but last night was AWFUL and today has been as well (though getting a bit better gradually). And the bad part was like I've been eating super-restrictively all week because I have a bday party tonight and was going to go to town (well not too much, but a little) and now I feel like yuck. I had a plain scrambled egg (fried with canola spray) and have been sucking down a green tea with mint+lemon and ginger tea mix, it's miraculous really, although I still definitely don't feel up to a big meal. Fingers crossed though, because I've been looking forward to cake and party food for a while... <sigh>

Wednesday/Thursday Question: I think my advice would be 1.) do not underestimate the value of exercise, it might not lose you that much weight by itself BUT it keeps you motivated to watch what you eat. 2.) Take each meal as an opportunity for a good decision. Ok so breakfast was a bust, a real grease fest. But all is not lost! Lunch is an opportunity for a good decision as is dinner. And of course there's always the next day with a fresh clean slate!

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 11-18-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #274  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Hi everyone, sorry I have been MIA again. I have been SUPER busy with work. Also, my best friend just had a baby so I have been spending all of my free time with my precious beautiful baby "niece" I am doing fine as far as weight loss goes. I am down to 293 so far this week. Hopefully this means that I am on target to teach 100 lbs lost by Christmas still (or a little more). I will be happy with just the 100 though. Well, I hope everyone is doing well! I will probably be MIA a good bit over the next 2 months since this is my busy season (everyone wanting to get pictures for Christmas cards). Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate. I will update y'all on 1 of my 2 cheat days for the year (Thanksgiving day and Christmas day). I am worried that I am going to have some serious tummy problems after my meal since my body is so used to having a low fat diet ...haha... Oh well How are you all doing?

P.S I just bumped my ultimate goal fro 180 to 190. I talked to a lot of my friends who have seen me at every weight and we decided together that 180 might be a bit too boney for me. I will reevaluate when I get there though. The lowest I have weighed at this height was 160... when I was anorexic and skeletal. I lost my menstrual cycle then and was just plain sick. I think 30 lbs heavier than that is a better goal for now. Like I said, I will reevaluate... with the help of family and friends... when I get there. If I think I could get to 180 and be healthy and look good then I will

Last edited by southernbelle102; 11-18-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #275  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Hope all is well with everyone. I've been having a very rough Nov. thus far. I'm trying to take all my losses in stride and get back on track.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #276  

excitedtolose – Your date night sounds pretty fun! Hopefully you’ve managed to still keep the location a secret.

toastedsmoke – I ended up making a Zucchini Slice, Roasted up a whole heap of vegetables and grilled some marinated chicken breast. I also made a huge batch of Pasta Sauce to freeze so that I’d have something ready to go in under 15 minutes when I get held up at work. How are you feeling today? Did you have a good time at the party?

southernbelle102 – Congrats on becoming an “aunt”. I bet you’re already spoiling her like crazy.

JMfan – Sorry that November hasn’t been the greatest month for you. Hopefully things turn around pretty quickly for you.

It’s Friday night for me at the moment and I’m trying to resist the urge to eat some Chocolate Chips that are sitting in the cupboard. I only keep a small amount of chocolate in the house now as I used to be able to eat a whole family block in one day. I figure that if I keep myself distracted I won’t feel the need to eat. I’ll see how that pans out...
Old 11-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #277  

S/C/G: 279/See Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

toastedsmoke -- i know! ugh. even though i know it is because of the TOM, it was still the most disappointing thing to see as i have been WAYYY under calories for the week. i hate how many calories milk has!!! i'm a soy milk drinker, usually silk brand, and have found that that has been a good substitute for real milk and is totally worth the extra calories. it most definitely makes up in flavor that that milk wash skim lite is. i get these cute 8.5 oz "milk boxes" and have those for my morning snack three days a week. have you tried using yogurt with your cereal? sounds different, but it was much more filling to me than cereal and milk, and depending on the yogurt you use, can be LESS calories, which is always a great thing.

oOPeanutOo -- Yes! I have managed to keep it secret, and alas the day is here finally! i swear, he must have asked me at like 1,000 times what we were doing tonight. it's taking a heck of a lot of will power to not give in and tell him, as i have never been able to keep a secret from him before lol. i'm excited for sushi! hopefully, i can keep it under calories, if not i'm sure it will balance out with the huge amounts that i have been under daily this week.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #278  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Friday, Saturday, & Sunday Question~ Where do you see yourself in a year/five years/ten years?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #279  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

One year: Hopefully I'll have a job -_- in Detroit, going to school with the husband, and close to my goal! VERY close! I'll also be pretty close to my BA!

Five years:
Being a starving artist in Manhattan.

Ten years:
Hopefully I'm not starving anymore, still in Manhattan, being awesome at my cubicle at Penguin Publishing and having a better, more fulfilled life than anyone in my graduating class. Ten year reunion, here I come! (Everyone can see how sexy and thiny I am!)
Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #280  
*Bringin' Sexy Back*

S/C/G: 226/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Peanut: My mom's birthday was wonderful! We had a really great time I'm orginally from NY, it is a great place to visit! You'll have to see Nashville, too!!!

KimL1214: I'm so sorry about your loss I know I'm about a week late, but you and your family are my my thoughts and prayers!!

Nienna: I need a good shopping buddy!!! My friends laugh at me because I take so long to shop, but I love trying things on, even if they don't look great on the rack...you never know, it may look amazing on! I do love to dress my friends, and actually worked at Ann Taylor Loft part time last holiday season because I love to dress people, and make them feel great about themselves...almost like living vicariously through them haha!

Monday's Question: My thought is always "Man, what I would give to be on that runway!" I love the VS fashion show, and totally daydream about walking on the runway in a diamond encrusted bra, and a gorgeous toned body to match

Tuesday's Question: Based on my own expieriences, I would actually have to agree. Though it may not be as obsessive as a female's body image, I still think a lot of men struggle as well. When boyfriend put on some weight, he seemed depressed, and unhappy with himself, though he never outwardly talked about his gain. Then, when I started losing weight, he started going to the gym, and eating healthily. He lost around 15 pounds, and you could tell a huge difference in his attitude. They may not be as verbal about it, but I still definitely think that many males do struggle with body image issues.

Wednesday and Thursday Question: NEVER GIVE UP!!!! Though you may not see the results you desire from week to week, keep at it, and you will see the pounds melt away. Also, protein through out the day helps cravings go away

The Weekend Question: In one year, I see myself at my goal weight, running my third full marathon, completed my first triatholon, and engaged to my amazing boyfriend.
In five years. I will be finished will ALL my schooling, including my MBA, and be working for a prestigious accounting firm. I will be married, and have my first child on the way Also, will have qualified and completed the Boston Marathon.
In ten years: I will own my own accounting firm, have two beautiful children with an amazing house in the country, and still be the hottest mom/trophy wife that any lucky man could ask for I will also have my dog shelter built, where I will rescue, foster, train, and find loving homes for abandoned, and mistreated dogs and puppies. I will put an end to euthinization in my county, and rescue those in danger of being put down. I know, it sounds like a lofty dream, but it is something I've always had a passion for, being the voice for those who cannot speak

This week hasn't been much better than the last, but I'm still having faith! I have not had my Blackberry returned to me, but I may be switching to Verizon, getting another new phone. My boyfriend was turned down for the position, but the one he had origianlly been waiting for notified him that he was moved to the next level of the hiring process! Granted, it will be awhile before he is actually on board with them, but we are very happy nonetheless! Tell, does it make sense to you all that a satellite installation company turned him down for a postion, yet the federal government is pushing him through to the next level for a shift as a deputy police officer?? I'd ike to think this is a God-thing .

Old 11-20-2010, 04:07 AM   #281  

excitedtolose – How was the date? Did the Sushi live up to the hype?

Jelbelle – I’d love to be able to work in Manhattan! Will you still have family close by if you make the move?

princessdi86 – I’m glad everything went well for your Mum’s birthday. I have to admit, the only thing that comes to mind when I think of Nashville is Country Music & I’ve never really gotten into that. I’m sure there would be other touristy things for me to do though. By the sounds of it you know exactly what direction you want your life to take. I love animals as well and especially dogs so it’s awesome that you want to have a dog shelter to save as many as you can!

Friday, Saturday & Sunday Question – I wish I could say that I had things totally figured out but I don’t. My one goal is still all about living a life less ordinary and in order to tackle that, I need to lose the excess weight first. I just want to regain my health and be happy. Sounds like the simplest thing in the world but everyone here knows what a struggle it can be.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #282  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Hey girls, is it okay if I post my weigh in a day early? I have issues with logging in pretty often (usually when 3FC doesn't "remember" me, I try my pw and name and it doesn't accept it, and many times I can't access my email to get a new pw) but also, sometimes I have problems getting here on Sundays. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to post tomorrow but I don't want to miss another WI!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #283  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

oOPeanutOo: Nope. But you go where the job is =)
Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #284  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

southernbelle102: Congrats on your "niece"!!!! I completely understand the urge to spoil. I see little girl clothes in shops and always wish I had someone to spoil, they're SOOOO cute! Goodluck on 100lbs by Christmas! You can do it!

JMFan: I'm sorry you're having a difficult time this month! You've done so well so far and so just brush everything off your shoulders and keep looking after yourself and keeping on!

oOPeanutOo: The fruits of your mini cooking storm sound good!! And good idea about the pasta sauce for quick meals. I felt sick and stomach acid-y through Thursday but had rice and cake so the birthday celebrant wouldn't know I was feeling bad and strangely enough felt better afterwards. (I think it's one of those things where you probably need to eat something but feel too sick to do so). I definitely paid for it later though and am still doing so.

excitedtolose: I'll look into soy milk again. I too used to use the Silk brand (light- vanilla flavour I think) but they don't have that where I live now. But they DO sell soy milk so yeah I'll re-visit that. Definitely creamier than milky water and wayyyy nicer-tasting. How did the date end up going? Did you pull it of? And the sushi?

princessdi86: Sorry your bf didn't get the job. It could definitely be a God-thing and I believe there's something better waiting for him probably, so keep the faith! I hope you have a better next week!

I'm still feeling quite ill but on a functional level, rather than on a writhe in bed level. Or rather, I want to writhe in bed from time to time but am able to function without doing so. Even fluids (including water) trigger a stomach flu (cramping and um... removal) reaction so it's been pretty grim. I've tried everything (medicine wise) and will see a doctor on Monday if I'm not better. Now to add to the general fun of being ill, I have TOM, so now I can't tell if the cramping is from the stomach issues of from TOM... ah well... I haven't really felt hungry for much: today I had a plain egg in the morning, a cup of plain rice (with a little adobo seasoning) in the afternoon, and then didn't feel like anything in the night, except I got enticed by some chocolate cake (yes smart choice, I know) which I thoroughly enjoyed but soon paid for. I didn't weigh in this morning because I wasn't home so I shouldn't have had carbs today OR sugar (part of my no-carbs the day b4 weigh in rule), so goodness knows what will be on the scale tomorrow between TOM, mild dehydration from the stomach flu and everything else. <sighs> I do feel better though, than Thursday or yesterday; I've abstained from googling my symptoms because I've been down that road and that just brings out my hypochondriachal tendencies, but I'm also going to be smart and see someone if I don't get better (no 15-lb tumor all over again and refusing to see a doctor bcos I thought I was just getting fat).
Exercise-wise, I did my runs for the week even though I felt sick. The good thing was I was so busy trying not to hurl, I didn't notice feeling breathless so all in all, they were good. I also met my 1200-minute exercise target for the month. I'm a little behind with 30-Day Slimdown though. But I think I'll be 100% caught up by tomorrow, hopefully.

The Weekend Question: I'm not really sure what I want BUT if pressed for an answer: 1 Year: Hopefully at goal and moreover at a healthy bmi. Confident and happy and filled with good self-esteem. Hopefully not single BUT only in a good relationship. 5 years: Possibly married, or at least in a serious relationship. Either finished doctoral OR working mid-high level position in a health/international development job AND freelance editing. 10 Years: Maintaining a healthy weight, married (only if it's right with the right person) with kids, doing consultancies in international development and running a small writing support (editing, proofing, research, essay help, document drafting etc) company.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #285  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

toastedsmoke: Thanks a bunches
Closed Thread