20-Somethings BL Corner Temporary forum for Biggest Loser Challenge

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #256  

S/C/G: 120kg/98.6kg/85kg

Height: 5'7"

Jelbelle – Awesome loss! Make sure you let us all know when you hit Onederland.

excitedtolose – Sinus infections are horrible!! I have all year round nasty allergies so can sympathise with what you’re going through. Sorry that your under so much stress as well. Congrats on the 5lbs though.

KimL1214 – No need to apologise to any of us! You’ve had a really rough week and the fact that you’re even posting now is great. Hopefully you got all your reading done before falling asleep.

I had one of those days where I just should have stayed in bed! Work was hectic and one of my friends is having a minor meltdown so I’m trying my best to juggle everyone else’s needs while staying on plan. I’ll readily admit that I don’t always have the right words when people are upset (it’s not my strong point) but hopefully just listening will get her through this crisis.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'8

a little friendly competition never hurt anyone
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #258  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

oOPeanutOo~ I'm sorry to hear about your friend, you're a good friend for listening to her.

Monday Question~ When a Victoria’s Secret lingerie ad (or any bra and panties ad) comes on, and you see the models, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?

Haha, this one makes me giggle, because I definitely think "stupid skinny *****es." It annoys me that Victoria Secret does not have any plus sized or even normal sized women modeling their underwear...

I'm trying to work on stats now, but I may end up running out of time, so they may not be up until tomorrow.

How is everyone's Monday so far?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #259  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

Height: 5'3"

I missed weigh-in yesterday! After 13 hours of driving saturday, I ended up driving all day yesterday too going shopping with my boyfriends mom. My Vaca was very fun and I managed to pretty much maintain. Today it feels great to relax...I'm still trying to decide if I want to workout or not. lol
Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #260  

KimL1214 – Unfortunately the crisis continues but I’m still on plan so that’s a plus.

JennieLovesKisses – It’s good to hear that your vacation was fun and relaxing. Did you get a chance to catch up with family like you wanted?

Monday’s Question – I think my opinion of Lingerie ads changes depending on my mood. Some of the time I think “wow, she could really use a burger” but that’s my own jealousy creeping into the equation.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #261  
Make it to the moon...

Tuesday Question~ There are lots of arguments in the media about how men are becoming just as sexualized and have just as many issues with body image as women. Do you agree or disagree?

I'll be back on later to check in with everyone!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #262  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Jelbelle: <begrudgingly> I suppose you can have Mr. Darcy. lol. I find myself unwilling to make a decision. I want them all. Hahaha. Congrats on being SO close to Onederland! As well as you've been doing, you could be there by the start of December! Go you!!!!

princessdi86: Thanks so much for the encouragement. I haven't 100% given up hope I can make Onederland this year. But I'm also trying very hard not to fixate on that. I definitely think like your mom in a way. I think there's definitely a lot to manifestation. Negative thinking rarely yields the most positive results. Thanks so much. I'm pushing for Onederland and hoping really hard and putting in the work, so hopefully it pays off. But even if it doesn't, I'll still be better of for it. Sorry about your blackberry! That completely SUCKS! Your boyfriend's prospective job situation is also definitely in my prayers. So sending general positive vibes your way.

excitedtolose: I'm so sorry, you've been unwell. That really sucks! Please look after yourself and feel better soon. On the bright side, congrats on the loss!!!

KimL1214: I'm really sorry about what you're going through. Please take heart and look after yourself emotionally.

oOPeanutOo: Sorry about your crap day and your friend's situation. I personally think sometimes (as the "great" Ronan Keating probably not originally said "You say it best, when you say nothing at all." I too think I suck at advice giving and knowing what to say in difficult situations so usually I rarely say anything, and whatdoyouknow, people always call me to tell me their problems or just offload on me. So sometimes, just being there to listen and not judge and not say anything trite or offer shallow advice, is just the thing. I'm sure you're being a great friend and your friend appreciates it.

In other news, ok ladies, so I have in a sense gained 7ish lbs in the last couple of days... well BMI-wise at least because um... I've shrunk an inch-ish. Twice in the last few days, I've got officially measured for height (as opposed to having a friend do it) and it turns out I'm 1.71m which is basically like 5'7 and a tiny bit of change. Sighs... so it turns out my BMI is like 1.some more than I thought I was. All of a sudden I feel shorter even though I'm no different than I was last week, it's only I've always thought I was 5'8... I know I haven't shrank or anything, I just haven't gotten my height measurement properly/professionally taken since I was maybe 15ish and 5'6. Although I'm tempted to continue to lie to myself that I'm taller than I am so I can have a better-seeming BMI reading, it would be a lie and not real at all, so I'm changing my height on my Ipod food recording app I use, my wii and on here, which makes it suddenly true. :'( I'm tempted to also now change my goal weight, but I won't... at least not till I actually get there. The way the 160s look to me right now, to be honest, they might as well be like the 120s so I'll just keep the ultimate goal there and see how it goes once I actually get there.

Monday's Question: I think the first thing I probably think is, "I want her boobs... and abs!" Then my second thought is "darn you VS, for not stocking above a DD." I'm not that bugged by the models in the ads, they're meatier than the average model and really, I don't think I'd want to do the work required to have a lower than 18 BMI so I don't really consider them what I'm working towards. But then, the annual VS Fashion show is actually must-watch tv for me. And also to put it in context, I love all the modelling/fashion shows ANTM, Project Runway, Make me a supermodel, if it's about fashion/modelling I'll watch it.

Tuesday's Question: I think more and more, men are catching up with women on the issues with body image but not as much. In general, a fat/obese man is not seen as being as tragic as a fat/obese woman. Additionally, sad to say, if he happens to be wealthy or successful, he probably won't have that much of a problem picking up somewhat attractive members of the opposite sex, especially if he's the gregarious, funny, fat guy- then he's a total teddy bear. A fat woman on the other hand, does not have this opportunity. No matter how successful or wealthy or funny she is, it is hard to bypass the label of being at best "the fat friend," or to even be thought of us attractive. I think this is why for women, the issue is deeper-rooted, in my opinion. But yes, being the sister to an obese, formerly thin older brother, I say it is DEFINITELY becoming an issue for guys too.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 11-16-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

toastedsmoke: Haha! I'm sorry! If I had to go for another, I'm not sure I'd know who to put second. Most books I like to read aren't littered with characters that have tons of personality. I certaintly would not want to have any knight from the round table, or a Dante, or a Dr. Faustus. Maybe a J. Alfred Prufrock =P but he's much too old. And thanks ^_^ I can hardly believe I've made it this far, and that I'm so close again! I think you can DEFINITELY make it to Onderland by the end of the year. I think you'll be well into it!

Monday's Question: Usually I'm just a "Yeah whatever" thinker. I stare at her body and think of how likely it is that she's that sexy all the time, or what kind of person she is. I'm not friends with any big time supermodels, so who am I to say they're all artificial?

Tuesday's Question: I think that there is growing pressure on males to be thin and good looking too. Although, I do believe in the fat males being treated better than fat females, I think they struggle with the weight of societal demands just as well, especially in my generation. When I was in high school there was this big to do about a growing number of anorexic males that went to the school after a boy collapsed and had to go to the ER. (To this day he's still skeletal...so I don't think that hospital stay helped to turn his mind around). No matter which "clique" you fell under it was always important to be thin or fit. The preps and jocks were always more muscular, the punks and the emos were always stick thin (you know, so they could fit in their girl pants). So yeah, I think guys have just as much problem with body image, but they might be less likely to admit to it.

Last edited by Jelbelle; 11-16-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #264  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

Thursday Question~ What tips or tricks do you have to stay motivated when your willpower falters?
No set tips or tricks besides my thinking mind. I'll have to think about my food and activity choices and think about the desired/possible outcomes to try and motivate me to make the right choices.

Peanut: Tamales take hours to make, so Mom usually just makes around holidays (leftover Thanksgiving turkey in Nov or chicken/pork/beef for Christmas). I'm sure Dad or I will help

Monday Question~ When a Victoria’s Secret lingerie ad (or any bra and panties ad) comes on, and you see the models, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?
haha.. I feel self-conscious watching half-dressed girls on tv if the bf is with me. I probably look at her body first (likes and/or dislikes) then her clothes (likes and/or dislikes)... so I decide if I like or don't like her looks, then same with her clothes, then decide if I like and would wear what she's wearing (yes/no, why/why not). There's other undie commercials on now with fuller-figure women and they are having fun dancing in their undies and what-not. Those make me smile (and maybe still make me feel a little awkward). Maybe because they seem so comfortable in their skin...

Tuesday Question~ There are lots of arguments in the media about how men are becoming just as sexualized and have just as many issues with body image as women. Do you agree or disagree?
This may be true but to a lesser extent and I'd even say men have a choice in this, where we don't (or we're made to feel we don't). I think most men fit in the middle (not a supermodel, not ugly) and most women feel they don't have a middle (there's only hot or ugly). Of course most of us fit "in the middle", but we may feel that we have to be one or the other. I don't think men feel as much of that pressure (to be hot or else they're ugly), but I think a lot has to do with media. Guys aren't bombarded with beautiful, perfect examples of how they should look (tv/ads) each day as women are.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #265  

toastedsmoke – Thanks for that advice! Hopefully the loss of an inch doesn’t get to you too much. If I was you I’d just take it in my stride and keep moving forward. Don’t let it ruin your mindset about the goals you’re trying to achieve.

ferretgirl – Wow!! I didn’t realise that they took that long to make. I bet they’re worth the wait though

Tuesday’s Question: I totally agree with what everyone else has been saying! It seems to be more socially acceptable for a guy to carry extra weight than a girl.

I haven’t been counting calories today so I have no idea if I’m over my regular 1500. I wouldn’t say I’ve been out of control to any extent but I just didn’t feel like weighing and counting everything today. I hope it doesn’t become a trend and I just needed the day to get my headspace right.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #266  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

I'm feeling much better this week. Thanks for all the support! I started exercising again (I had been putting it off for a couple of weeks), and the difference in my mood is incredible. I have to remember to do cardio every day, lest I fall into another annoying funk.

Toastedsmoke: Thanks for taking the time to write out such a nice response! Everything you said sounds like it could have come straight out of my own mouth. I also tend to develop 5 zillion plans at the same time, but unlike yours, mine aren't backups to the backup. Rather, they're based on wildly different interest and desires and would take me and my life in completely different directions. My newest brilliant idea is to pursue a Masters in Nutrition, re-involve myself in the world of sustainable agriculture, and then use those knowledge bases to work in humanitarian aid. Of course, I only came up with that one yesterday, so only time will tell if it beats out the park ranger idea, the going-back-to-school-for-wildlife-biology idea, the get-certified-as-a-teacher idea, become-an-RN idea, and the just-keep-doing-random-but-interesting-short-term-stuff idea. And when it comes to relationships, I know that wanting one doesn't make me pathetic, and I also know that my happiness isn't completely dependent on getting married or dating ... BUT I still find it hard to shake the feeling that actually looking or hoping for a relationship is somehow shameful. That being said, I'm feeling a lot better this week, and it was really nice to see that someone so completely understands all the things that were on my mind.
I'm glad that you've been able to relax a little bit and take some of the pressure off of New Years'. You are so close to Onederland, and you are doing wonderfully with your weight loss. (Congrats again on winning the last 5 lb challenge!) You'll be there soon, perhaps even sooner than you expect. And if you ever need a reminder of all the things you said in your post a few days ago, just let us know, and one of us will pm it to you! Not quite as good as being able to bottle positive thoughts and feelings, but a solid second.
I'm sorry about the height "shrinkage" ... that's happened to me, too, in the past, and it's definitely frustrating. Just remember that nothing can take away from the changes you've already made in your life and the things you have already accomplished, not even realizing that your bmi is a little bit higher than you previously thought.

Jelbelle: Congrats on an amazing loss last week! I'm excited that you're so close to Onederland! On another note, all this talk of your advisor has made me curious about what you're studying and why and all that kind of stuff. I know that you're studying English, but do you have any particular focus (creative writing, lit, etc)? And do you want to do something specific with your degree once you graduate or are you studying English for the love of it? I chose Classics when I was in college, and I loved every minute of it, even though I don't plan on actually working in any of the fields that such a degree more obviously prepares one for. I'm always interested in how other people decide to go about their studies. Also, you can have Mr. Darcy! I've never enjoyed P&P as much as S&S, Persuasion, and Emma, and I remember finding Darcy a bit annoying. I would fight you for Edward Ferrars, though! Or Captain Wentworth.

oOPeanutOo: Your future plans sound awesome! I'm still not sure about the whole skydiving thing, as I'm terrified of heights, but the rafting and especially the snorkeling sound wonderful.

PrincessDi: The peacoat sounds cute! I kind of wish I could go shopping with you. I love having cute clothes, but I hate trying them on and such, and I feel like you'd be good at encouraging/forcing people to try on things they normally would overlook. I'm living in Finland right now, and I'm not really sure when I'll be going back to the States. The soonest would be next September, but I suspect that I'll probably stay overseas longer than that. I'm really sorry about your Blackberry, and I hope that everything works out with your boyfriend's potential new job. Keep us updated!

excitedtolose: Congrats on your five pound loss! I hope that you feel better soon and that some of your work problems are resolved in the next few days.

KimL1214: Yes, I'm feeling much better. Thank you for reminding me that it's natural for people to want to be around one another and such. I hope that this week is a bit easier for you. Thank you so much for all that you do for our BL Challenge. I really appreciate all your hard work, and you shouldn't feel the need to apologize at all!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #267  
Make it to the moon...

Wednesday & Thursday Question~ Do you have one or two really great pieces of advice for someone wanting to lose weight?

Hey ladies, unfortunately this is going to another short post once again as I have a field trip today and won't have time to check in until later this afternoon and evening. I'm really glad to see that there is lots of activity on our chat board!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #268  

Nienna: Thank you! ^_^ Yeah, I'm an English major, minoring in Creative Writing. I do love English, but I'm using my degree to become an editor. I love to write, so I guess you could say my real desire is to become an author, but that doesn't always pay the bills, so I have a day job planned when I'm not off being the masked pen-wielder. In the wrong run I'll probably end up going back to school somewhere down the road for a business degree, because I really want to own a publishing company. I'm actually not an enormous fan of literature. I only read P&P for a class, and I liked it, but I probably wouldn't pick up Jane Austen on my own time. If I had to read something I'd prefer it be -1700 works, and there's a lack of boyfriend material characters there, I'd say
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #269  
Make it to the moon...

Jelbelle~ I was an English Major too, mainly British Literature focusing on Shakespeare. English teaching certification, but no teaching jobs...

Nienna~ Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better and getting back into exercise!

oOPeanutOo~ Did you end up adding up your calories for today? Were you over or close?

toastedsmoke~ I would keep your goal weight as you've had it for now, and when you get closer, then decide if you want to change it or not.

JennieLovesKisses~ Glad to hear you had fun on your vacation.

ferretgirl~ I agree with you that men may feel some of the pressure, but not nearly as much as women. How are you doing?

Everyone Else~

I disagree. While I see that men are being portrayed more and more as overly muscular and studly, I don't see nearly as many plus sized women as plus sized men in different movies/TV shows. I feel like there are a lot of bigger men that are able to "get" the gorgeous thin woman, versus bigger women "getting" the gorgeous muscular man. When I look at the middle/high school boys every day I see the pressures for them to fit in with fashion, but not as much with body type. The bigger boys are often much more accepted by the "popular" boys while many of the bigger girls seem to stick together in their own cliques. Although, I do feel that a lot of the larger boys are the comedians in the group, which I believe is a cover up for their feelings of self-consciousness. I don't know if I just contradicted myself, but it's what I see every day.

Wednesday & Thursday Question~ Do you have one or two really great pieces of advice for someone wanting to lose weight?

My biggest pieces of advice would be water, water, water and watch your portion sizes. When I stick to those two big things, I lose weight. When I lose control of those, I gain.

So I gave myself a prize for finally hitting my 10% goal tonight. I got my rook pierced. Not gonna lie, it smarted, but was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's still aching, but more because I just cleaned it. I also got some new jewelry for my tragus piercing, which I'm excited to put in tomorrow when I get my hands on some needle-nosed pliers.

With concern to being On Plan... I'm hoping that giving myself a prize will help boost me back onto goal. I signed up for a new class starting in January, which I need to get myself in some kind of shape for.

At the end of this week, we'll be half way through the challenge!!!

The field trip made it hard for me to get any work done on the overall stats today, but I should have time to get them up tomorrow. You can check out the two team posts and see that we won this week though!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #270  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimL1214 View Post
Jelbelle~ I was an English Major too, mainly British Literature focusing on Shakespeare. English teaching certification, but no teaching jobs...
Ahh! I hate Shakespeare! I would also never teach, ever lol. I hate children, of all ages! Kudos to those who can
Closed Thread