Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #241  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

texscrapper, I can officially have 29 points per day but had found a comfort level at around 27. (I'm 50 years old )

Caroline, you and Rosebud may be right as much as it freaks me out. I've upped calories/points for a few days at a time to try to jump start things, but I've never done it for weeks.

It's so strange that too little or too much produces exactly the same results - mathmatically how can that be?????

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your feedback and support. I'm finally not too sore today so back to walking on my lunch hour. I know those hills are gonna kick my butt after all those "squats" over the weekend.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #242  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtha View Post
It's so strange that too little or too much produces exactly the same results - mathmatically how can that be?????
I have to bite my tongue every time I see someone around here touting that it's all just 'calories in vs. calories out' in the end. I know for a lot of people the math works, and that's great. But there are plenty of us for whom it does not work, and it's harder for us to figure out what does.

I shouldn't gain weight at 1800 calories a day, but if some of those calories are from grains, you can bet I'll put on weight, and it's not going to be just 'water'. My body is defective, and I just have to live with that fact and work with it. I know there are many people on these boards that think I'm just delusional and not counting my calories right, but I know what works for me.

You'll figure out what works for you too.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #243  
Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I shouldn't gain weight at 1800 calories a day, but if some of those calories are from grains, you can bet I'll put on weight, and it's not going to be just 'water'.
Caroline, I think this may be a big part of my struggle. I was eating very few carbs at the beginning but ended up adding more back because I wasn't coming anywhere near my points target each day.

So... for a full week I will up my points/calories. The following week I will cut WAY back on carbs again and see what happens.

I just love this group
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #244  
Sue

[QUOTE=Justwant2Bhealthy;4297815]SUE ~ do you think that you are eating at least 1200 calories a day? I did a rough tally and even though I don't know the exact amounts, seems a bit low to me (like under 1200). Have you tried eating more? Like 1500 calories a day or the points for that equivalent? Just wondering ... [QUOTE]

Rosebud, your question made me think, so I translated my food journal from points to calories for the past 7 days. I ranged from a low of 857 calories to a high of 1453 with an average of 1258/day. My points ranged from 22 to 32 with an average of 28.4. According to this, for me a point is "worth" about 44calories.

My calorie target should be 1200-1550/day. According to all of this, with the exception my my really low day I'm right on target for calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, etc.

I'm going to continue to track both ways for a while and see what I can learn. In the meantime I just have to keep on keeping on.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #245  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SUE ~ I like Caroline's idea of just upping some really lean proteins, if upping scares you. I was wondering if 1200-1500 would be better, even 1200-1400 might work fine, if you want to go lighter. Let us know how it goes for you over the next week.

We still have snow here, although it has been melting; but they are predicting more for tomorrow. Guess we had a really false-spring after all. Eating is going well this week; happy about that ...

Sunday: fish, corn, salad, sliced tomatoes.
Monday: shepherd's pie, green beans.
Tuesday: chicken pattie & mushroom medley, sliced tomato, salad.
Wednesday: tomato-patties/corn + green beans/small new potato.

Breakfasts: eggwich (2dys); bagel & pb; scamble egg & tst; .5 oranges.

Lunches: salmon sandwich & soup (2dys); veggie pita pizza; ham & chz sandwich & soup (1 day).

Snacks: carrots, apples, sc/pb or chz, UNsalted almonds, yogurt, brd/pb to bring calories up, tea.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-18-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #246  
Sue

Good morning everyone

I finished yesterday at 26 points and 1484 calories. I planned a stir-fry for dinner last night so I had to add in some snacks late in the day to get to my targets or I would have stopped at closer to 20 and 954 (and been perfectly satisfied.) I have a dinner date tonight and I'm not sure where we're going yet so I can't imagine it will be difficult to eat enough today

yesterday:

coffee/milk
blackberries

salad
grilled chicken
low fat ranch
cheese stick

apple
peanut butter

chicken stir fry
rice
chicken and veggie potstickers

Weather is sunny and 60-ish today with (much needed) rain forecast for the next 5 days or so. I MUST get a long walk in today because it looks like it will be a while before I can be outside walking for a while.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #247  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone. Not much to report, just saying hi! Have a good day!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #248  
Sue

Good morning,everyone!

I finished yesterday at 32 points and 1550 calories. I burned 300+ calories walking and drank 8 glasses of water.

coffee/milk
blackberries
hb egg

salad
grilled chicken
low fat ranch

apple
cheese stick

roast chicken
baked potato/butter
broccoli
salad
wine
bread/butter

Despite making good choices for dinner (aside from the bread and butter) I was amazed at how quickly the calories/points added up going out to eat. I looked over the menu a couple of times and picked the lesser of the evils. I started out hungry and should have grabbed a veggie snack when I got home rather than waiting for dinner.

It's a busy weekend with houseguests again, but at least I can control the food. I'll really need to keep an eye on the wine/snacking social part of the weekend activites as those add up really quickly.

Have a great Friday, everyone. I hope to hear some sucess stories when everyone has a chance to check in.

Last edited by mahtha; 04-20-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #249  
Rosebud

Well, I spent most of yesterday doing PC stuff, backing up files; and cleaning off old disks with stuff that is totally obsolete. By the time I was done, I had over 15 empty disks to use for backups -- so don't have to buy any after all ... yeah! Saved some $money$ and that's a good thing.

I felt a bit hungry yesterday, so ate a bit more; but I still had a good maintenance day for this week (it's better than being over). Back on track for today; not so hungry, so it must have helped. Hung laundry out today as we had a bit of . Supposed to get some more all weekend; hope so.

Have a wonderful OP and enjoyable weekend, everyone ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-20-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 294/282/150

Height: 5.4

Hey everyone,
Mind if I jump on board. I was browsing thru when I found this thread and I am so in need of starting over again. I had been doing WW when I hurt my back last year,quit smoking
and have just had surgery. I have now hit an all time high
I am just going to count calories this time I think.
Whats working best for u guys? Anyone ever change up from WW to CC?
Thanks
2thinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #251  
Rosebud

2ThinMe ~ well, I've done many of them --- WW, calorie-counting, portions, lower carb & others, but not sure of the order. I don't think it's that much different since the points are supposed to be based on calories anyways; and based on the same stats you use for figuring them both out (weight, height).

Correction: I think a point equals about 50 calories each. You will be counting your fruit & veggies but they are fairly low, so you should find it similar. Best wishes on making a more permanent, healthy lifestyle change ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-21-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #252  

Thanks, justwant2bhealthy.

I figured it should be close. Last year when they switched to the new point system, I didnt do quite as well. It did still keep me going in a downward motion, but I had alot of stay the same weeks that I hadnt had with the old point system. I love fruit and prob. had more then the system antisipated.
Well thanks again by the way,you stats are great!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #253  
Sue

Welcome 2thinme! You've found a fantastic group of chicks. I'm struggling with WW vs CC. I've been successful with ww in the past, but I'm just stuck and trying to figure it all out. I just started cc to compare to points as it appears I may not be eating enough. Until yesterday there were no surprises, but I ended yesterday at 32 points and around 1300 calories. With a target of 27 points there are days I clearly wasn't eating enough. I'm going to track both ways for a while to see what I can learn. Whatever plan you choose you'll find great support here.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #254  

Hi & thanks Sue,

I really did well on the old WW point system and I think I might do that. I always liked the feeling of getting free veggies I just didnt do as well on the new system. i thought maybe I was eating to much free fruit.

I know the formula for the old system so I have been doing that the last few days and if I think I can keep it up on my own (well with all your guys help here ) I am going to do that. thanks for the welcome, everyone here seams to be so nice.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #255  
Rosebud

HI THERE FRIENDS, it's been a slow week here by the looks of it. I was looking at the 100 lbs goal pictures today, and now have a face to many of you. You have all done so well, and are fighting back; and that is so amazing. I am awed by your accomplishments. Whenever you feel down, just go back and look at those pics. I know that they are so inspiring to me.

My eating has been good this weekend; happy about that. I measured myself last week and have lost 26" since the last time I measured. That's a lotta inches, and gives me incentive to work harder still.

We had lovely today; it was still a bit cool, but it was nice just the same. A friend dropped by this afternoon and will be doing a bit of work for us around here; we're very excited about that.

Have a wonderful OP week coming up, and just keep going no matter what, OK ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-22-2012 at 07:47 PM.