If your face gets flushed from time to time, you may be wondering what exactly causes this phenomenon. It’s a really common, but sometimes embarrassing, condition that can be caused by several factors. Depending upon your diet, your mood, the medications you may be taking, and even hormonal factors, you can be prone to flushed skin.
Factors You Can Control
There are some factors which are well within your control, and do cause flushing:
- Hot and spicy foods
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Physical exertion
In these cases, flushing is quite normal and should not be a cause for concern. However, you should limit your alcohol consumption, avoid spicy foods, and wear sunscreen if you are afraid that you are experiencing flushed skin too often.
Factors Beyond Your Control
There are other factors that are beyond your control that can also cause a flushed face. These factors include:
- Hormonal changes that come with pregnancy or menopause
- Hyperthyroidism and circulatory problems
- Some medications, especially those used to treat hypertension, can cause flushed skin as a side effect
- Some forms of cancer, such as cancer of the small intestine or appendix, can cause flushing, as toxins are released by cancer cells.
If you are worried that your flushed skin may be an indication of a serious underlying health issue, make an appointment with your primary care physician. She will be able to perform tests to see what is causing your flushed skin. She may also be able to make suggestions about how you can combat the problem.