Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #1  
Started IP Sept 21 2012

S/C/G: 272/235/200

Height: 6' 1"

Question Dating while on plan or wait?

I was thinking of throwing my hat back into the dating world after being seperated for the last five years, divorced for one but am a little weirded out by how that might actually play out.....

Will I look like a cheapskate for not taking her out to dinner as I haven't been to a restaraunt since being on plan, the movies would be a challenge to say the least as I sit their and refuse to have any of my dates popcorn, soda or treats........even coffee is off the books for me

All that said I am VERY happy with the road I'm heading down with Ideal Protein and am not looking to mess with what's working right now.......

I guess what I'm wondering is........ what are others doing? Are there some dating options I've missed? Ones that don't include dinners, movies, snacks, coffee, drinks, clubs etc?

Maybe an IP Dating site is needed lol...... Invite my date over for a Big Mac in a Bowl Night with two large waters.......

Maybe I should just hold off until maintnance phase all together
Big Ron 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

My husband and I go to movies and dinner. I bring my restricted bar and we get bottled water. Dinner is always somewhere I can get a steak or chicken breast and steamed broccoli. I say date! If you absolutely need to avoid those options... picnics, snowshoeing with packed snacks. Make her a fantastic dinner and rent a movie. Um...I haven't dated in a long time so those are the suggestions I have. I am sure others will have WAY better ideas. Good luck!
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.4/156.8/140

Height: 5'6"

Do NOT hold off. This is the first day of the rest of your life! Get back out there!

You may want to give your date a heads up ahead of time so that she gets why you're letting her have her own popcorn and not stealing it all. Bring some chocolate soy puffs to snack on instead... heck, bring her a package, too! They're good!

And dinner is just like Holly said... there are always places to go where you can get a lean protein and lots of veggies... and your date can order whatever she wants!

GO FOR IT!!!
SDChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #4  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Who doesn't like Outback? You can get a steak and broccoli, and she will be impressed with your healthy eating. Just say no to the yeast rolls! It should be a good conversation topic, because you will want to eat healthy for the rest of your life.

BTW, a guy from work started IP while he was on an extended TDY. He ate at Outback every night for 6 weeks. He reported a consistent 4.5 lb lost every week. Worked for him, and the company paid for it!
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Activities are good for a first date... I've done bowling, playing pool, mini golf, etc. Don't hold off. If nothing else, it's good practice! You will have to tell her at some point that you are on IP, may as well be sooner than later. If someone has a problem with it, you don't want to waste your time, you know?

Good luck!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

To follow what the other ladies have said, Be honest! I would love hanging with a guy who is healthy, active and eats right.
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #7  

My hubby has started eating healthy along with me and it is so nice and makes him even more attractive to me! We've been married 23 years.
A guy who eats healthy and is ready to get back into the dating world?!!!! go for it cutie pie!!!!!!! You will be happy that you did! Wouldn't it be funny of she said she was doing IP too?!!!!!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #8  
Started IP Sept 21 2012

S/C/G: 272/235/200

Height: 6' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Wouldn't it be funny of she said she was doing IP too?!!!!!
Yeah.......that would be nice
Big Ron 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Question: What's better - avoiding dating because you might not be able to have a drink with a date or have to order differently at dinner - or putting yourself out there and finding women that will respect your lifestyle choices (including dieting to improve your health)? You don't need to waste time with women who are more concerned about where you are eating and what's on your plate.

That said, I enjoy a steak dinner with my husband at Applebees once every couple of weeks - oil-grilled steak, steamed veggies and I'm good to go! No need to wait, go get 'em tiger
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #10  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

There are lots of options out there Ron, and eating a nice relaxed meal at a restaurant might be a treat for you too since it has been awhile. Most restaurants have very "healthy choice" meals now and you can always ask for an extra veggie or salad side to replace any potato. If you feel like it's time to get back out there, it is. Go for it! Best wishes
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #11  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Definitely be honest up front - Takes all the stress out of finding fake explanations for things. And hey, if that's cause for rejection, do you really want to be dating that person?

I agree with everyone about great dinner options being available . . . and with the idea of "activity" dates. Good luck!
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233/200/160

Height: 5'11"

I say date! Nowadays, you can usually look at a restaurant's menu online before hitting them up to see if they meet the diet requirements. If your date seems to be confused, just explain that you're dieting.
Amajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

I say DATE. Don't deprive the girls It would be great if you could come up with an interesting first date that doesn't require eating. Or, if you just plan ahead with the menu that would work. Good luck!
Alma4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #14  
Started IP Alts 9/8/12

I'll be the lone dissenter and say wait. It looks like you are losing your weight at a pretty rapid pace and will be at goal by the new year. I say don't let the stress of dating, starting new relationships, etc, combined with the stresses of the upcoming holidays get in the way of your goal. I think it'd just be too easy to start slacking off.

That being said, I've been willing to put my life on hold until goal. I feel for me, it would be easier to give up six months (or maybe more) of my life to Phase 1 in order to stay the course. So, take my advice as what it is, with that in mind.
Doctorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #15  

I started dating after I lost 100 on Atkins (and having been single for five years). I was at 175, with a goal of 145. I never got there. I found a husband and gained almost all of my weight back. This all started in 2003. We got married in 2007.

I didn't say that to tell you to date or not to date, just to say that it is so easy to veer off course, so no matter what you choose to do, it is really important to remain vigilant.

So, I'll repeat what others have said: if you choose to jump back into the dating pool, be upfront with your temporary restrictions (I say temporary because things will expand as you move into maintenance).

My experience was that first dates involved drinks or coffee. Usually the next two involved meals and it wasn't until 3rd or 4th that we did other activities. Movies are NOT good early dates b/c you don't talk/get to know each other. You just watch a movie. I had bunches of first dates and some handfuls of 2nd and 3rds. Only a few went any further than that. Then Scott started intentionally filling my social calendar.

We were older and both getting "back" into the dating pool. It can be done & that oh-so-clear 20/20 hindsight tells me I should have been more vigilant.

Anyway, that is my experience. Not to suggest what you should do or not do but to just give you some "food" for thought.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote