Did you know that portion control weight loss can be not only within your reach, but may be within your hands? The hand method is a diet control method that uses your hands as a way to teach you the right amount of the foods you should be eating. As we all know, portion sizes are getting bigger and bigger. This means more of us are overeating, and therefore consuming too many calories. If we can use our hands to dictate how much we should be eating, we have no excuses for overeating. We take our hands everywhere we go!
How Does the Hand Method Work?
Our hands are the keys to portion control weight loss. The hand method works for many people because there is no need to measure and no need for measuring cups or scales. Visualizing your food amounts while using the hand method your hand is really easy. The measurements are as follows:
- a cup represents the size of your fist
- a half of a cup represents your cupped hand
- 3 ounces represents your palm in both thickness and size
- a tablespoon represents your thumb in size
- half of a tablespoon represents just the tip of your thumb
When using the hand method for obese weight loss, consider eating these foods while visualizing their correct portion control:
- Cup: (size of your fist) beverages, cereal, casseroles, soup, fresh fruit and salads
- ½ cup: (size of your cupped hand) pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, cooked vegetables, pudding and ice cream
- 3 ounces: (size of your palm) beef, pork, poultry and fish
- Tablespoon: (size of your thumb) salad dressing, peanut butter, sour cream and cream cheese
- ½ tablespoon (size of the tip of your thumb) butter, margarine, mayonnaise, oil
Could the Hand Method Work For You?
If you are having trouble sticking to your portion control weight loss plan, could the hand method work for you? Consider these things:
- Do you hate counting calories?
- Do you find measuring foods time consuming, and then quickly forget what a measurement looks like?
- Do you realize that the hand method is only an approximate guess or visualization on what a certain amount of food should look like?
- Do you think you can continue to use the hand method for the long run, allowing time for weight loss and a healthy eating routine to begin?
If you answered yes to most of these questions, then the hand method may be the answer you have been looking for on your quest to determine portion control.