Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 09:05 AM   #136  

Good morning!

Found out that my dog's hip fracture is not healed (calcified) yet and it will be another month before she could get a clean bill of health. In the meantime, no doggie walks for exercise . It's a big bummer for her, too. She loves her walks so much. I will have to find other ways to motivate myself to get outside and moving. Once the weather cooperates, there is a lot of yard work that could get done!

In the meantime, I've been doing very well on my food and I'm looking forward to the weigh-in tomorrow.

Later,
-Deborah
Old 04-11-2003, 10:23 AM   #137  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Deborah,That must be hard trying to keep your dog calm. I hope she gets better this month. I think it would kill mine if we couldn't go for walks. I can't even spell the word without them jumping up and running around in excitement. Silly dogs.

We just got back from a walk and we ran into someone we know walking his dog so of course Cappie starts barking like a maniac. Jay asked if we could bring him over and all he did was sniff the other dog while the other dog growled at him and had his hair standing on end. Cappie is such a loud wimpy dog. haha. Although it is so nice to see that his only problem is with barking and not aggression. Whew!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #138  

I really don't know whatit is like to walk a dog. Echo has been gone for so long I don't really remeber. When she was home for that week her foot was cut so we were trying to keep her calm. yeah right!

I am happy she will be back. Now that the days are longer when Joe is out of town I can take her with me and feel a little safer. I have nothing to worry about where I live but there is that serial killer in Baton Rouge. (45 mins away from me)

I am making myself move around at work today. I have lots of areas that have seemed to turn into junk rooms so I am trying to straighten them up. Burn baby burn!
Old 04-11-2003, 12:35 PM   #139  

Wow! Is this thread busy or what? I don't know what to respond to. So many wonderful posts. Di, one of my favorite fantasies is hooking up with someone I haven't seen in a while and having them say, "Wow! You've lost a lot of weight! You look great!" and so on. You are such an inspiration. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen with the measly 7 pounds which is my net loss over the last year. Which brings me to Apple Blossom. I KNOW how you feel. We're still here though and haven't given up yet. Thanks for the kudos on that score Gennel.
I have a dog named Candy too. My daughter and I used to take walks every evening. She on her rollerblades with the dog on a leash and me walking. We haven't done that in a long time. I noticed the other day when my dd put on her rollerblades for the first time in a while, my poor dog got just as excited as if we'd pulled her leash out of the closet. I guess since summers coming and it's daylight when I get home, it would be a good time to start that up again. I have to change SOMETHING about my routine!

Jen519
Old 04-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #140  

Oh...I forgot to ask. Clarita, do you go to that Pilates studio up on Fairview? I just noticed that one when I drove by on my way to work the other day. (Sometimes I just can't drag my butt out of bed early enough to catch the bus these days!) Are there any really heavy women there? I mean ones who have over 60 pounds to lose, since "heavy" is a relative term. I'm just curious.

Jen
Old 04-11-2003, 02:56 PM   #141  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Jen 7 lbs lost is 7 lbs lost--that's 10x better than 7 lbs gained, don't you think? You'll find your groove and start losing again and yes, you always come back and post--that's something. You know I've wondered about Pilates too. I pass by the Y every day where they have a couple of classes but I think from what I've seen my stomach would get in the way . I guess we all have to start somewhere though.

Speaking of silly dogs, let me tell you about my sister's anti-social mutt-weiller who takes on an aggressive stance to ANY and ALL dogs while we're out walking. There's a fenced in house w/3 large mixed breed dogs and 2 little dogs who always bark furiously at us when we pass by. Her dog always goes crazy over there--he pulls and whines and then starts chomping and shaking his leash (which is leather so it can't hurt his teeth) straining to get to the fence. Well I tried walking him past this house one day since he behaves a little better w/me. He broke his halti-lead and his collar slipped off his neck. I'm standing there w/a leash and no dog, my sister is about 50 feet ahead of me. The dog rushes to the gate where the other dogs are and barks twice, then rushes away to my sister. What a wimp! Not that I wanted him to fight or anything, but for all the noise and effort he makes to get near them other dogs, is that all he does? That dog has no balls, literally (he's fixed) .

Kempy, serial killer still on the loose huh? Scary! We had 3 prison inmates escape about 6 days ago from the high security prison here, they finally were captured yesterday afternoon so that's a relief.

Sorry to write a novel, just started rambling...I'll stop here.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:47 PM   #142  
More Tortoise than Hare

S/C/G: 320/317/199

Hi everyone! I've sent my students off to spring break and now I'm home cleaning and packing ... tomorrow, that big jet airplane is taking me to Virginia.

I weighed in this morning since I might not be checking in during the week (probably I will, though, since Everywhere has computers). I've lost 3 pounds since beginning the challenge (I think that means 2.5 since the last weigh in, yay!) ... love when TOM goes away and my body becomes my own again. I'll try to keep on track while on holiday. Luckily, I've never heard of a Charolottesville cheese steak or Richmond hot wings. What food IS Virginia known for anyway?

Take care,
Shimmers
Old 04-11-2003, 07:32 PM   #143  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Have Fun Shimmers!!!!! I hope you can check in this week. We will miss ya
Old 04-12-2003, 07:09 AM   #144  
determined chick!

Default Hi everyone

Hi everyone- Well I'm down 2 lbs- Thank God! I have a question yet again. Have many of you noticed how your appetite has changed as you've lost? Mine is nearly non existent now. For the last week, I've literally had to force myself to eat. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm even getting enough to eat to keep up with all the exercising I do. I do cardio 6 days a week, weight training 3 days a week, and toning tapes 6 nights a week. I've noticed that my losses seem to follow the days I ate more or had more protein, but if I'm not hungry how the heck can I eat more! I'm noticing differences in the tape measure the last 6 weeks, and clothes are looser, but I'm beginning to wonder if the amount of muscle I have is what has my weight still up- or if muscle gain is what keeps the scale from going down sometimes. So I'm wondering what's better- having the muscles and being more toned, or having the scale read a lower number? Maybe it's just because I'm a daily weigher and I've made that darn thing into a little God- always praying for a smaller number. So tell me what you all think- is it more important to you to be toned and maybe weigh a higher number or have that scale read that blessed goal # we've been working for? I know I'm full of questions this morning! This has just been on my mind. According to one of the BMI calculators I am at the borderline for normal weight. According to the one on shape.com where you type in your measurements, plus weight I'm considered fit! It's just got me all confused Oh well guess I'll go do some researching on here before hubby gets up. Take care all. Thanks again for all the positive reinforcement this week. I'm praying to see the 150's next week! Di
Old 04-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #145  

Grizzlyschick, I'm sure other posters, like Kempy, will be able to give you more information, but it sure sounds to me like you're fit! The BMI is a very rough guide intended primarily for those of us who are sedentary, light, or possibly moderately active. You seem very active to me. The BMI is known to be misleading for people who are very fit. You might consider getting your body fat professionally measured and then you would know for sure if you are still a little overweight or whether you already have a fab physique (I suspect the latter). Being fit is obviously better for you (both in health and looks) than reaching some arbitrary number on the scale. When I was thin (and somewhat active) my friend who weighed about 20 lbs more than me was the same height and she wore the same size as me. She was incredibly fit and the only thing I could do better than her was swim (she sank like a stone). Despite her extra weight, she looked (and was) fitter than me (and at the time I didn't look half-bad either!). At any rate, give yourself a huge, aerobic pat on the back for everything you've been able to accomplish so far.

Anyway, despite my current sedentary lifestyle, I have been able to lose weight through dieting. I am down 2 pounds this week, for a total of 4.5 pounds, which puts me over goal for this challenge!

Later,
-Deborah
Old 04-12-2003, 09:14 AM   #146  

Many congrats go out to Grizzlychick and Yoyo MOm!!! Awsome job ladies!! I'm reporting in with a three pound loss, but only because I have strep throat and can hardly swallow! I'm praying this goes away soon, it is awful. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend. I hope everyone gets out to enjoy it. Take care everyone!
Old 04-12-2003, 09:19 AM   #147  

I forgot to add that I definately think that it is better to be fit and a few pounds heavier. I will take the added muscle anytime! And, if you're fit, you can eat MORE and still maitain that clothing size than a whimpy skinny person. Rock on!
Old 04-12-2003, 09:29 AM   #148  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Weigh Day!!! I am down 1 1/2 pounds this week! That brings me down to 151. Maybe next week I will see the 140's!!!WOOHOO!!!!!

Congrats Di,Deborah and Serina on your losses!!! Way to go girls!!

Di, My appetite hasn't gone down at all! If I am bored I can eat non stop but if I am busy then it is better. When I hit 130 last time my appetite was huge. I have no idea why.

I hope everyone has a great weigh in!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 09:54 AM   #149  

Thankfully, it looks like I've lost 2 of the 3 pounds I gained last week, so I'm only up 1 pound from the beginning of the challenge. DD and I are heading to Disneyland on Monday. I haven't been since I was 17 and she's never been there. I don't remember spending a lot of time eating when I went before, so it may be a great opportunity to lose weight with all the walking around and stuff.
Di, I'd like to think that my body fitness would be more important than the numbers on the scale, but it's hard to say at this point. I do remember when I was in my late twenties and lost 85 pounds, I was down to 128 and still EXTREMELY unhappy with the way my abs and tricep areas looked. I'm glad the scale was a bit more cooperative for you this week in any case.
Laney, I'm so sorry to hear about your strep throat. I've had it more than once and it's the sickest I've ever been. Glad you felt up to posting. Take your antibiotics and you'll feel better soon.

Jen
Old 04-12-2003, 12:46 PM   #150  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Angry Challenge goal 6#s; #s lost = 5

Good morning chickies! Congrats all you early birds (well, early to me) for checking in w/your awesome losses . You guys rock!

I'm checking in this morning with a 1 lb loss, bringing me to 173. That's 5 out of 6 lbs lost for this challenge.

Di I'd definitely rather be toned, look good and have a higher number on the scale than to reach a "goal" # and be flabby all over the place (which is where i'm headed if I don't start some weight training ) . You go girl, muscle weighs more than fat so if that # is higher than you'd like it to be, just remember that. Body fat testing would definitely put your mind to rest I think. My appetite goes in cycles. Sometimes I get full from a normal skinny person's amount of food, other times I could eat 3x that much. I'm having to teach my body that satiated doesn't mean stuffed to the gills. Depends on what time of the month it is too though, for me.

Good luck everyone and have an OP weekend...all I can do is try.
Closed Thread