Old 07-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #676  

Me again. I just read several old posts. I've come a long way in exercise but not as far with weight loss in fact I was at this weight last November. I really have to think about 1500 cals as the way of life not just for a little time here or there. Changing eating habits is a big job - I need to make it a priority. Thanks for listening.
tiredoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #677  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi ToF, I'm so proud of you making the 7 mile run. I have never done that and I'm guessing I never will. The scenery was probably worth the run, though. Eating only 1600 calories and running 7 miles - you had to lose something today. That's just so incredible. I wouldn't worry about when you were at what weight. All that matters is now and you are doing something about it. I think that eating is the key to losing weight but exercise is the key to mental soundness of mind. Even though you get so busy during the school year, you need to remember how good you've been feeling with the exercise and make sure you plan time for it.

We are both strong enough to do this journey. I just know it. I am so pumped up to lose weight that I know I will. I'm hoping that the cruise doesn't screw me totally up. Going to MN last November is what screwed me up. Till then I was losing and doing great. So now I have a vacation coming up and it's focus is around food. I hope I'm not doomed.

I swam again today. DH comes home tomorrow and he said that we could swim in the evening. I like swimming with him better than by myself or with anyone else. He keeps me moving but will slow if I'm having asthma problems. By the way DS's girlfriend swam with me today and she asked if I'm going to increase the distance. I said no, that if it becomes too much like work, then I won't go swimming at all and I just love swimming and my pool. I'll get back into serious exercise in the fall. For now, I swim pretty much everyday. So that's not too bad. Talk with you later.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #678  

Hi Marie, how long is the cruise? I don't know what to say with regard to intake during that time. On most of my vacations since I started this journey I ate whatever I wanted and gained only a pound or two. The biggest problem was after I returned home and getting back on track now that I think about it. One way to look at it is to be really good leading up to the trip, then just relax and enjoy the trip, then get back on track when you get home. On the other hand, when I went away for the weekend with my husband I ate whatever I wanted and ended up feeling really gross by the end of the weekend. On this past vacation I ate whatever I wanted but I did get lots and lots of exercise and ate lots of healthy food so I didn't feel bad and only gained a little. Let me know what your strategy will be.

I'm really sailing with the exercise now. I'm loving it. Today I biked (stationary bike) for 12 miles hill setting. I also did an hour of yoga which feels terrific. So far I've eaten about 1200 cals. I have a busy afternoon and early evening since the boys have a swim meet so I think I'll save my remaining cals for an end of the day smoothie after everyone is in bed!

You're right about the exercise and mental state - I'm going to try to plan activities for the boys two afternoons a week so that I can exercise at that time, then I'll plan on one weekend day. I think three times a week and sometimes four is realistic for the school year.

Take care and enjoy your swimming. My sister has been challenging me lately. She said that it's good to vary your workout. For example one day you might swim a steady 1/4 mile and the next day you might swim 1/2 that but alternating really fast laps with slower laps. I've been trying to do that. Have a good day.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #679  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF, I think my strategy is going to be good through the trip. I have so much trouble getting on track and I'm so motivated right now that I don't want to lose it. I figure the cruise shouldn't be about eating, it should be about the scenery and my family. It's 7 days long and I'm planning on using their pool and exercise equipment. My family (parents, 2 sisters) won't join me and I can get a way for a little private time with DH.

I'm glad you like the exercise now. That's fabulous. Just don't overdo it to the opint that it's work as opposed to fun. Burnout is so easy and hard to overcome.

Three days a week on the exercise is good during the school year. That's my goal so that I stay with it and don't get burned out. When I exercise 6-7 times a week as I'm really gung-ho on losing weight is when I start to resist and then I quit. So I'm trying to be reasonable about everything.

I talked to DH about my wardrobe and said that the clothes I bought this spring will fit till fall and that I have plenty of winter clothes that are smaller as I lose weight. But next spring I'll need a new pile of clothes. He raised his eyebrows and I said defiantly that I will deserve it. He sort of agreed.

My birthday is in 2.5 weeks and I found this adorable leather jacket that I want. Showed it to DH and he said yes. So after I'm done with 3FC, I'm going to order it. It's a $200 coat on a preseason sale for $100. I also have a 30% off coupon that I'm going to use. So I'll get it for $70. He couldn't say no when I took the burden of getting me a present off his plate. BTW, it's dark purple (eggplant), my favorite color.

I chat with you later.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:47 PM   #680  

Hi Marie
I hope you enjoy the coat - that's quite a sale. I am excited about your trip too. I can't wait to hear all about it. It's great that your dh is excited and enthusiastic about your journey.

I had a tough day today and gave in to some food comfort. Tomorrow I'll be back on track. I went to the gym to workout but my mind was full of all the work I had to do at home so I left and tended to some of the many jobs. Then I waited at the doctor's office for a long time with my son who had an ear ache. After that we rushed to another swim meet. Busy day.

Tomorrow I plan to power clean my house - lots of energy, lots of cleaning. I'll exercise if I get a chance. Sunday morning I'm planning to do a good tri workout.

Thanks for being here - it really helps!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #681  

I'm back on track today Marie. Thanks for being here.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #682  
Lifelong Journey Member

I'm glad to be here. You keep me motivated. Power cleaning doesn't sound like such fun, but I do understand. I've spent a lot of the past 2 weeks cleaning my house. I also finished my sweater. Here's the picture...

I'm going to start a new sweater today and work on some stained glass. That's only after all my chores are done: cleaning the pool area and taking care of the pool. I also have to vacuum today.

I seemed to have gained weight and I have been doing very good so it makes no sense. I decided I have a deluded scale and I'm going to ignore this morning's weigh in. Unless the bipolar drugs are screwing up my body to gain weight, there was no way I could. I've been eating 1300 calories a day. I think it's just the scale today. We'll see on Tuesday.

TTYL.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #683  

Hi, the sweater is beautiful!!! You are so talented. Kudos!

It ended up not being a healthful weekend. Why? Mainly I lost my focus due to other matters. I'm ready to keep trying though. I've gained too - maybe we're gaining muscles from the swimming and other exercise.

The good news is that my house is clean! Yeah, I have to make this a regular part of my routine so it doesn't pile up.

Take care.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #684  
Lifelong Journey Member

Good job on the house. I got my house really clean last week and I loved it. I've kept it neat but it needs vacuuming and wet swiffering again. The swiffering is sort of hard after a while so I really don't want to do it.

I hope it's muscle that we're gaining. My scale, though this morning gave me a loss from yesterday, but still 1 pound over early last week. Since I've been an angel with eating, I know something just isn't right. DH suggested I get new batteries for the scale sinc ethat might cause erratic readings. I'm thinking it's the diet demon just trying to get me to give up. I won't.

Get back on plan tomorrow and you'll be doing great in no time. TTYL.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:07 AM   #685  

Good attitude Marie. I've been waging an uphill battle the past few days. Lots to think about why. I'm ready for a good day today though. I'll check back later when I have a few more minutes.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #686  

Hi, tough week this week - just can't seem to get on track. Hopefully this entry will mark a new start. Thanks for being here.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #687  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF, good luck getting back on track. I know you can do it. I've been really good eating wise and exercising nearly everyday a little bit. I'm still not losing weight but I'm not gaining so that is good. I've been knitting a buttercup yellow sweater and I think I'm one skein short. I'm hoping they have it in town, but I've never seen it there so I doubt it. We'll probably pick up a skein in Seattle on Saturday. I floated on the pool yesterday and swam my laps. I will swim later this afternoon for my exercise. TTYL.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #688  

Awesome job Marie. You must feel great!!! I finally got my energy back. I was zapped over the weekend - major energy drain. I listed all the reasons and realized that I have to be more cognizant of the plans I make. A lot of times I say yes to mind numbing, body bulging, boring and tiring events!!!!! Why???? Probably to please. . .

Anyways I'm taking care of my adorable nieces this weekend - intense but I'm hoping to build in lots of fun activities such as swimming, walking around the farm and playing in the yard. I'm having company on Sunday night (family) and I'll plan a healthy meal - fish, salad, grilled veggies, fruit dessert.

I have to realize that this health journey is not natural for me yet. Most times I make a spontaneous choice I can count on it being an unhealthy choice - so I have to think it out carefully, then ask "Is this a healthy choice? Is there a way I can plan the event so that it's fun and healthy?"

Keep up the good work and thanks for "listening."
Old 07-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #689  
Lifelong Journey Member

That's an interesting point that you naturally make unhealthy choices when it's spur of the moment. It made me think and I do the same. I come into the kitchen and think what do I want and usually I grab (or at least think about grabbing) something an oreo or something like that. But I have the oreo and it doesn't satisfy the snacking urge. But when I grab a piece of fruit, it does. Interesting, huh? With that realization, maybe I can stop thinking first about the oreo and think first of good food.

I'm glad you have more energy today. Last weekend's cleaning must have just totally did you in.

I don't know what I have planned for exercise today. Probably swimming, but I have to wash clothes for the trip and vacuum. It's supposed to be only highs in the upper 80's which means I can do more cleaning than I like. So swimming is iffy today.

Talk to you later.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:19 AM   #690  

Hi Marie,
The too-busy spell is finally over. I booked way too much in a short period of time. The good part was that entertaining caused us to clean up the house. August is a quieter month for me. It's been just about a year since I started this health journey.

I think this will be a really good week! Hope you're doing well.