Old 06-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #646  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi ToF, just think how close you are to your summer vacation. I have to work 3 more weeks and then I get a little over a month off. I'm so excited. I'm glad that you're going to talk to someone about the direction of your job. Going on like you are now just isn't healthy. I worry about you.

I've been doing good. Working and playing. I love my craft room. I've been knitting on the machine and doing some stained glass. It's so nice not to feel pressured to get it done so I can get the area cleaned up.

I wenting hiking with DH and 2 of my dogs (Goldie's foot is broken). It was beautiful out and I realized how much I love to exercise when the weather is nice and I get to be outside. I do like the gazelle and my exercycle but it's nothing when compared to being outdoors.

If I recall right, today is your triathalon. My fingers are crossed for luck for you. I hope you succeed to your hopes.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #647  

Hi Marie, thanks for all the support. I share your love of nature and creativity. I'm glad you had the chance to get out for a hike and that you'll soon have a whole month off.

The triathlon was terrific. My dh swam, I biked 10 miles and my son ran 3.2 miles. We all did well. What I liked best about the whole event is that I was surrounded by health conscious positive people in a beautiful natural environment (Cape Cod beach). The ride was strenuous but beautiful - there was a nice sea breeze blowing. While I was riding my oldest son passed me and gave me great encouragement on the way. I was also passed by a former student (18 years ago I was his teacher) and he too was very positive and encouraging. School is finishing up now and I'll start training for the July 31 triathlon where I've signed on to do the whole thing. I'm looking forward to the training.

Thanks Marie for being here for me. I appreciate it.
tiredoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #648  
Lifelong Journey Member

Way to go, ToF. It sounds like you did great. I'm really proud of you for sticking with it even though you've struggled as of late. The scene sounds wonderful. Don't you just love ocean breezes. There is something so cleansing about the salt air. I don't get to the coast very often, but I sure do love it when I do. I don't like the Pacific as much as I do the Atlantic since it's so much colder (thus I can't jump in). That must have been neat to see a student from 18 years ago. That's the one thing I love about working for a school district - I know that I'm making a difference in the world. Not directly like you do, being a teacher, but I do stuff for the kids once in a while, but mostly I try to make technology easier for the teachers. That effects the kids, thus the world. So, ToF, you're making a big difference in the world. That's an awesome thing. It's funny, my older sister (the semi hippy) was so excited when I left the private business world to work for the schools. I remember her saying now I was making a difference. That stuck with me, so when we moved from MN to OR, I looked for a job in the schools again. It is a rewarding job.

You're welcome, but FYI, you've been here for me too. And I appreciate it.

Today is Mark's (DS18) graduation. I think it'll be awesom and I'm going to bring the digital camera and take some pictures. Then we're going out to dinner with him, Robert (DS19) and Robert's girlfriend. It should be a nice time.

I did get to work on stained glass and my knitting yesterday. The best part is I didn't have to finish anything - I could leave it out in my craft room. I just love that room. DH and I even played cribbage in it last night. Did I tell you that we set up our weight machine in the corner of the room? Well last night I used it again and did arm/chest presses, leg presses and shoulder presses. So I worked out twice yesterday. Yeah!!!!

Well, I better go. TTYL.
Marie
Old 06-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #649  

Congrats to your son. I hope you enjoyed the dinner. Lately I've been so happy for celebrations as those events cause you to reflect, remember and honor time. I went to my neice's graduation last week and felt that way.

Laid back day and I loved it. Spent the morning watching my two younger sons set up and play in a "water park" in our front yard. They were wrestling in the kiddy pool and slipping down the slip-n-slide. I sat in the shade drinking seltzer getting splashed and loving it. I went clothes shopping with my older son in the afternoon. I enjoyed the ac of the stores and he was successful getting the things he needed (my boys are so easy when it comes to clothes). I'm really feeling the summer starting to settle in. Although I have a week left to school it's all planned so now is the time to get started again. I'm signed up for the July 31 women's triathlon. I'm doing all three events so it's time to start running and swimming. I know I can do the bike now.

What will you be doing this summer Marie? Any vacations? Take care.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #650  
Lifelong Journey Member

ToF!!!! I got to go swimming in my pool. The weather was in the 70s but the pool temp climbed into the lower 80s. It was great. I swam laps and did a 1/4 mile. My asthma can't handle a lot more than that due to the chlorine vapors. But I just really enjoyed myself.

Your day yesterday sounded nice. I love laid back days in the summer. I'm impressed you're going to due a triathlon by yourself. You have more determination than I do.

Summer... Well, I have July and part of August off. I plan to swim and play in my craft room. For one week, I'll be on a big boat, cruising to Alaska. I'm very excited about that. I've never been to the 49th state. It should be awesome and both my sisters and my parents will be there. I don't live by any of my family so it'll be really cool.

Take care of yourself. Are you done with school now?
Marie
Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #651  

Hi Marie, the swim sounds terrific. 1/4 mile is great! Exercise feels so good - I have to get that in my psyche: "Exercise feels better than cookies, exercise feels better than ice cream, exercise feels better than chips. . ."

The trip to Alaska sounds fabulous. I'll be anxious to hear all about it.

School ends next Mon. Yesterday a field trip drove me to chocolate for some solace - I find field trips very stressful, lots of responsibility.

Today's a new day. I'm going to try to lose two lbs this week - that will get me started. I hope to get to the gym tonight for a good workout. We'll see.

Have a good day Marie. Skinny, where are you?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #652  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF, I plan to swim again today. Yesterday was too windy (thus chilly) and my asthma from the chlorine the day before was too bad. But I'm going to jump in again. I'm also going to do my weightlifting. I've been doing that regularly. I'm working on the major muscles so it raises my metabolism.

Monday's not too far away. I would imagine field trips would be a teacher's nightmare. Overexcited kids (30 of them) would drive me nuts. I once volunteered to go on 5th grade fieldtrip and it was a nightmare. Never again. So seeking solace in chocolate makes sense to me.

Good luck on the 2 pounds.
Marie
Old 06-17-2005, 06:31 AM   #653  

Hi Marie, thanks for the encouragement. I had good days the past two days - worked hard and ate fairly well. I didn't fit in th exercise, but hopefully I'll start that in earnest this weekend. Today's the last day of school. I'm calling it a "body" summer - exercise, eating well, learning more about my decisions. Last summer I started this process in Aug. so I'm expecting greater success this summer. Take care.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #654  
Lifelong Journey Member

We'll both do good this summer. I started last Memorial Day weekend and did great over the summer. It's over the winter that I flounder. But summer is usually easy for me since I love fruits so much. I wished I liked veges as much, but I'm a fruit-aholic.

I'm glad that your school year is over. Let me know how the career counseling goes. I think you're on the right path.

I exercised yesterday - we went on a hike up the mountain (and back down). DH clocked it when he went back to look for my lost dog and it's 2 miles round trip. It's that first mile that's a killer. But it's so beautiful and peaceful that it's worth the huffing and puffing.

How's the training coming? I'm very impressed you're doing this. I don't think I could (I can't run to save my life).

Marie
Old 06-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #655  

Hi Marie, I can't wait to climb a mountain. I crave the outdoors so much. We dropped my middle son off at sleepaway camp yesterday - the setting was so beautiful. School is over!!!! The gift of time awaits me - the best gift (at least one of the best gifts). Thanks for all your encouragement. I'm anxious to see where the career counseling takes me too. It's interesting but sometimes someone removed from the day to day, like you, can see the the truth better than those buried in it. I appreciate your wisdome, love of nature and creativity. Thanks for being here.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #656  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF, I'm very happy for you that you're done. A little jealous since I have until a week from Friday. Then it's vacation for me too. I really just want to kick back and relax. I was looking at the Cruise info and found a side trip that I want to take. It's a helicopter ride up to a glacier, then sled dog tour on the glacier. The problem is that I don't have $800 extra for my DH and me to do that. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'd really like to do it. It would be quite an experience.

I'm doing all right exercise/diet wise. Certainly not great. I haven't gained so that is good. I'd have preferred to lose, but I guess eating carrot cake and the such has made me maintain the loss from last summer. I still need to lose what I gained from Nov till March.

I really appreciate you too. Have a fantastic day and I'll talk to you later.
Marie
Old 06-23-2005, 05:48 AM   #657  

Hi Marie, the side trip sounds nice, but I understand the financial constraints. I'm such a dreamer that I can always think of so many things I want and want to do. I find I'm always having to be rational about it so that I don't overspend. Luckily my husband is frugal so that helps. Sometimes when I want something really bad I'll find a way to make extra money so that I can get it.

Good exercise day yesterday - running and swimming. Not so good eating day - nothing unhealthy, just too much of everything. Isn't it frustrating that even a bit of sweets can undermine weight loss. The only way to loose is to eat less calories.

Hopefully today will be a better eating day. I know that every good eating day I have under my belt means greater success with the entire process. A battle we will win!

Take care.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #658  
Lifelong Journey Member

I like that - that every good eating day means greater success in the long run. I've always thought that about exercise, but not eating. I'm a black and white type of person with eating. Either I'm good or I'm bad. I'm trying really hard to see shades of grey in it all. Good for you that you did so much exercising.

I decided against the side trip. $800 for two of us for 1.5 hours is just too much money. So I told DH that I don't think we should spend the money. He eagerly agreed since he's frugal too. I'm a spendaholic so he tries to keep me in check.

I'm going to swim tonight. I vacuumed the pool last night and left the cover off. I hope it stays clean given that it is a bit windy outside. Either way, I'm going to do some laps unless my asthma is too bad. So far today I doing pretty good.

Well, I have to get back to work. One week from tomorrow and it'll be a 5 week break. I am so looking forward to it.
Marie
Old 06-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #659  

Hi Marie,

I hope the swim went well. I made it out for an early morning run again this morning - yeah! tough, but it felt good in the end.

I'm LOVING my time!!!!!! I planted a garden with my young son today - wonderful! I painted my planters and chose some pretty flowers to plant - yeah! I ate well all day and was able to say yes, yes, yes to people rather than the no, I'm rushing. The job counselor pointed out to me today that I have to schedule more me time during the year and that's why I fall apart (at least part of the reason). Thanks for all your support - I just hope no "bombs" drop anytime soon so that I can get into this positive mode.

I pigged out on watermelon and carrots today - a healthy, ok pigout!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #660  

Hi Marie. Skinny are you out there???

Just checking in to see how you're doing. Hope all is well. I'm off to a great start today after a bumby weekend. I ran 3.5 miles for the first time since college. I must say that the exercise really does make you want to eat right. Take care. I'll check back.