Old 04-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #601  

Hi Marie, thanks for analyzing with me. I was surprised that our difficult times were so different. I get the feeling that your house is your haven. Right now my house is not a haven. It is simply too busy here with three very different boys at very different life stages (4,10,14).

This is my husband's third day away on business and all I can say is God Bless single parents - I don't know how they keep their heads above water. Luckily I made it to Friday and he'll be home tomorrow night. Eating has been a challenge, but I'm determined to get back on track and continue to make some very good choices like lots of water.

You're right about this time of year - every teacher gets really tired by spring. It's so funny to see pictures of teachers in June and September - very different! I will have time this summer to concentrate on health.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. It will be hard when your dh comes back as far as eating. A friend of mine went on a retreat and every night for dinner they just served fruits. I hope you come up with some creative ways to satisfy your husband and your need for light dinners. Let me know what you think of as I face that issue here too.

Take care and have a good night.
tiredoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #602  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi ToF, yes, my house is my haven. My kids are 19 and 18 (almost 19 and 20) so they're gone alot. And when they're here, they act like adults so that it's a pleasure to be around them. I do, however, remember my kids when they were younger. It wasn't quite the haven it is now. But then again, it wasn't bad either since they're one year apart and always had someone to play with.

We built our house 5 years ago and it's literally my dream house. It's small, 3 bedroom, because I didn't want to clean a big house when the kids moved out and I was old and moldy. DH got an extra 3 car garage so that he can do his thing with lots of room and I got my pool. A friend came over a couple years ago and said after her visit that she now understood why I never like to leave my house. She said I lived in paradise. I do. I'm surrounded by mountains and we have 2.5 acres. I am a very lucky person and I'm very thankful. Anyway, I go home and I'm just pain happy after work. Especially now that all the ugly carpet is gone and we have hard wood floors.

Is there anyway you can make your house a haven? Like could dear hubby take the kids out once or twice a week so you can have the place to yourself? Time alone is good for everyone so maybe you could try that.

DH is coming homein a few hours. I'm very much looking forward to it. I think the real challenge to my diet will be in the next few days. If I make through that, then I'll be fine. My problem is that I have more calories at lunch and breakfast so I've needed those light dinners you spoke of. I just am going to have to move the calories around but I don't want to be ravenous all day, either. One plus is DH would like to lose 10 pounds so I can try cooking light dinners for him too.

I have to go grocery shopping and I don't want to. I hate that kind of shopping. I love clothes shopping. Especially now that I fit in more normal sizes. But to go buy food. Blech. I don't like it. There are so many tempting treats that I have to resist. I told DH last night that we'll go together on Sunday. Why should only I have to endure the crowds. He said okay to that.

Well, it's time to vacuum all the dog fur up before DH gets home. I've been bad this week and didn't do it since last Sunday. In other words, during shedding season it looks horrible.

Talk to you later and I know you can stay on track. ToF, you really don't want to be off track. Think of it like that. The food is making you miserable and playing games with your physical and mental health. I know you can do it.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:35 PM   #603  

Hi Marie, I loved your entry. You are an artist so I'm not surprised that you designed a home to your liking in a beautiful place. Space is so so so important to me. For example I love my classroom space - it's perfect. Big enough, enough places to put things, windows that look to the sky - I love it. My house is located on a river on a very nice piece of land, but the house and land don't meet - the house separates us from the land. I want that connection and I'm going to make it happen somehow - I need my space to be open to nature and simple, not big, not glamorous. . .I have to run, but I'll be back tomorrow or tonight. Thanks for all the encouragement. Good luck upon your dh's arrival.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #604  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF, space is important to me, too. We used to live in a town with houses pretty close. I didn't like it. This openness has really helped my mental health. I hope you find what you need.

DH is home and I'm so happy. I was really sick of being alone. My DS is moving out next weekend and he works and goes to school all the time. Other DS is home even less. So I was getting lonely. I definitely used 3FC for my company during the evening. Now I'm watching NASCAR with DS1 and DH. I can't watch it without doing something else or I fall asleep. I really don't need a nap at the moment, so I thought I'd surf. I really do love wireless laptops.

When I asked DH what he wanted for breakfast this morning, he asked me what would fit into my diet. So we had my breakfast, only he had more. I think he really understands how important it is to me to stay on plan and he's going to make sure that I do. That will really help.

Well, I'll talk to you later.
Marie
Old 05-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #605  

Hi Marie. That's great that your dh is supporting your diet needs. I've lost my support here just because everyone is busy with their own needs right now. Thanks for understanding about my space need - I've done some deep thinking and soul searching in the past few days and space keeps coming up as the number one issue for me to deal with right now. I think I need to get the space right here so I can move on (or in).

We have a lot of things in this house that are meaningless to me and take up a lot of space. I really want to get rid of those things - we simply inherited them and took them. We also need a few more storage items so that things don't end up on the floor so much. Finally we need to make the land and house have a better flow - when we entertain people all get stuck in the same small space. I know this all may sound so selfish to others since we are so lucky to have a roof over our heads on a nice piece of land, but we all have our own paths and it seems like this is the road I'm supposed to explore right now.

Diet wise - I'm getting stronger again. Identifying a few road blocks (among them an extended family issue that I think I've found some peace with) has helped free the path for better eating and healthful habits. Take care all. I wish you all a good weekend.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #606  

Hi all! I managed to exercise today - great 5:30 am bike ride around town - very beautiful at that time of day. Eating - a little much, but mainly healthy. I'm done for today as of now. Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing. Take care.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #607  
Lifelong Journey Member

ToF, Way to go on sticking with the exercise. I bailed on the exercise but am going to go hiking tomorrow. I stayed on plan eating, but drank too much diet pepsi. Nothing new there. tomorrow is weigh in and I hope the extra sodium from the soda doesn't throw the scall off too much.

I had the day off and it was really quiet here. Both kids and DH were gone. I worked on stained glass and did a little bit of cleaning in my kitchen. Tomorrow I work and then I have most of Wednesday off. I have a presentation in the morning, then the rest of the day off. For May I only work 3 days a week. I have to use up all of my vacation time.

Well, I better run. Talk to you tomorrow.
Marie
Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #608  

Default Good morning, ladies

Just a quick check in so you know I'm still alive and kicking! I'll catch up on all the entries later. I hope everyone is doing well. Things here are good. Today is my happy birthday. I woke up to find a bouquet of 12 pink roses, a new watch and some new toe-rings so the day got off to a good start. I intended to wear one of the toe rings but it was 38 degrees here this morning so I'm in my loafers. Oh, well. Summer is sure to arrive eventually!

I'm doing pretty well w/exercise and eating. Still no movement in the scale but TOM is just a few days away so I'm trying not to be discouraged. I do plan on eating bday cake but not pigging out.

Until later, take care. I'll try to check in again after while after catching up. TTYL. Have a great day!
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #609  

Happy Birthday Skinny!!! Glad to hear that you're doing well. Good to hear from you too Marie. Life is going well around here. I've been exercising - bike riding and it feels so so good to get my body going again. The eating has been ok, not great, but I'm getting there. I've got a situation I wonder if you've ever encountered. Here goes

A friend of mine has historically gotten angry at me because of my successes/good fortune throughout life. This has happened about two-three times a year. This friend has a good life with many wonderful elements in it - many nice events/things/qualities I don't have. That doesn't worry me because we're all different and I think no one wins when you start comparing. Anyways in the past month this friend has become angry at me three times. Finally the last time, when she made a sarcastic remark about something good in my life and told me not to talk about it, I decided not to call her for a while. She hasn't called me either since that time. Here's the problem - I like this friend and have shared a lot with her, yet I don't want to be treated badly by her every time something goes right for me in my life. I don't like the way she's been treating me - like I'm the "evil" in the world. I know this sounds so grade-school, but I also know that you are wise women who might have some wisdom to share. Thanks for listening. Take care.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #610  
Lifelong Journey Member

Skinny and ToF, I hope you're aboth doing good. Sorry I didn't write last night but I was in a grumpy mood. I read the posts and chose not to write. I've been good diet wise both days. I'm still a little out of it so this will probably be a little short.

Skinny, happy birthday. Sounds like you got some nice gifts.

ToF, I don't mean to be blunt, but are you short on friends that you need one that isn't respectful to you? To me you seem like a lovely person that doesn't deserve a "friend" that is jealous and negative about your life. I would think long and hard whether this person is truly a friend and if you decide yes, make a list of her good qualities and see they outweigh the bad. Then you can make an intelligent choice based on what rewards you do gain from the relationship. From the little you described I don't believe I would want a relationship like that. Life is too short and precious to spend on petty jealousy. Good luck, though. It never easy making such a choice.

Good luck on your diet tomorrow and forgive me if I was too blunt.
Marie
Old 05-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #611  

Hi all. Marie, thanks for the good advice. It helps to get a point of view from someone who is not involved in the situation - really helpful.

It's been very crazy here. Even though my dh is home, this is his busy time of year - lots of night meetings so I've been very busy. I'm still not back on track, though I'm a bit better than I was. I can feel the big push coming - just like I felt it last December for the exercise push.

Hope all is well with you. Don't worry about being blunt - I find it much easier to deal with. Take care.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #612  
Lifelong Journey Member

ToF, I'm glad that you're getting closer to getting back on track. I was way off track for about 4 weeks, then it took another 4 weeks of starting and failing before I really got back to where I want to be. So don't punish yourself. you're doing the best you can at this point in your life. This is a hectic time for teachers and being an acting single mom while DH is at meetings is making you stressed. Just keep trying and when you're ready, you won't be as far off track than if you just gave up for now. You're doing way better than I did at this stage - you keep coming back for nudges. I know you'll get a total grip on it once you're ready.

Talk to you later.
Marie
Old 05-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #613  

Hi Marie, I really appreciate your help. I do feel myself getting closer. Thanks for all your help. I'm hoping to fit in some exercise tomorrow morning.

What do you have planned for healthy activity this weekend? I thought of you today as my class was watching a film about the beautiful Pacific northwest.

Take care.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #614  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF, DH and I went to Reno for the weekend. It was our 22nd anniversary and we met my parents from MN there. We went out to a wonderful Italian restaurant last night and it was delicious. I didn't eat all of my lasagna and the anniversary cake, I only had 1/2 a slice. So did I stay on track - probably not but it wasn't too bad. Today I was bored on the drive back and had a McFlurry for lunch and for dinner I had a Cinnabon. I looked up the calories for both and I ended up with about 1250 calories of no nutritional content. Total for the day was 1950 so that's not too bad considering the poor choices. I am so full, I feel almost sick so I'm ready to get back on plan tomorrow.

Oh, what we did do right was exercise at the hotel health club. I suggested it this morning when we woke up. I felt so righteous. So I did ride an exercycle today, then we lounged in the spa. It was a nice way to start the day. I'm thinking that in July when we go on a cruise to Alaska, I will use the ship's health club every morning to try and make up for any bad eating I do. Anyway, exercising on a mini vacation was new to me so I don't consider the day to be totally bad.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Marie
Old 05-09-2005, 06:23 AM   #615  

Hi Marie,

How are you? I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip and even happier that you made so many great choices. I'm sure you feel proud of that too.

I bottomed out again. This really has been a roller coaster season - ups and downs and really down. I do think that sugar plays a role in bringing me down. When I wasn't drinking any wine and eating almost no sugar I remember how great I felt. I'm trying again. I started another new thread to see if anyone had any advice for someone who just can't get started again - we'll see if I learn anything new.

I also feel like I have to go back to the way I was at the start of the fall which was watching calories only. Remember I didn't worry about exercise because I was so so busy. I lost a lot of weight just watching calories. I'll try to fit in exercise when I can but I think I'll focus mainly on calories to get going again. Doing it all just won't work during this very, very busy and demanding season when both my husband and my jobs are too busy and the boys have so much going on. I've thought a lot about what I can throw out and this is the best I could come up with for now.

Thanks for all your support. I'll keep you up to date. I'm so so happy to hear that you're doing well.