Old 04-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #586  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi ToF, I'm really glad that the shopping went better today and that you're feeling better about your diet. I know you'll be able to get on track permanently again. I think March was hard for both of us. I feel so much stronger in my motivation that it's almost scary. I want it really bad so I'm pushing myself to be really good. I've been asking myself if I'm hungry when I grab for something, and so far the answer has consistently been no. Then when I want to get out of exercise, I ask myself if I'm dead or what and I do it. I'm being really honest with myself and I care what I look like. Like you, I love new fashions and being able to wear them, so I have to work to get there.

We had a great time, the 3 dogs and me. I went further than DH and I ever went. My feet are a little sore, but otherwise I feel great. I did think to use my abuterol (no, I didn't offer any to Kodiak) before we left so I could make it up the hills. Some are pretty long. And yes, our area is beautiful. It's called a high mountain desert, so usually it doesn't rain much (although lately I've been known to call it a high mountain desert rain forest).

Today was absolutely beautiful out. Sunny and about 70 - perfect for a hike. Spring was in the air and I'm so happy it's Friday.

I was good on exercise, food and water. Overall it was a great day. Hope all of yours was just as good. Talk to you tomorrow.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #587  

Hi all, Marie, thanks for the tips. Dr. Phil in his book refers to what you do as "self talk." He states that it is very important to monitor your "self talk." I'm going to to try to do that before eating too. I'm also going to try to drink a glass of water before each meal - I read that tip a long time ago but haven't been doing it.

Thanks for telling me about your wonderful hike. I love hearing about outdoor adventures.

It really feels so good to be back. My body and mind feel so much more at peace. My jump start has become mostly fruits/veggies with a few additional items. This morning I had oatmeal. I am going to restrict myself to no sweets, butter, bread or nuts for a while since once I start with those foods I can't stop.

Today I'm going to do a lot of cleaning as I'm having guests tomorrow night. My son's birthday is tomorrow. He's turning 5. I'm very excited about celebrating his big day. After the party (which is at a gymnastics studio) my brothers and their families are coming back for pizza and salad (salad for me!).

Thanks for being here Marie and all. Doing this will make our lives longer and better. Take care.
tiredoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #588  
Lifelong Journey Member

Wish your DS Happy Birthday from me. Kids are so cute at that age. I remember those days fondly. Now I like my kids young adult years since they are such individuals and they're becoming more like friends (except my friends I don't give away so much money to). But at 5, they remember the birthday and the party. Yoiu'll have a great time.

I envy you being able to give up breads/sweets. Mostly I use bread as my carb staple since I make my own. But it would be cool to like enough other foods so that I wouldn't need bread. But I'm pretty picky and don't like meat. I finally have learned a couple of ways to like eggs since they're low cal and protein. Since DH has been gone, I've had eggs for dinner several times. It's made staying in my calories really easy.

Today I'm at 1340 calories and am done eating for the day. Water has been good, but I didn't exercise (except shopping at a Walmart that moves everything once a week). How about we make a deal - we'll both drink 8 oz of water before every meal? I'll start tomorrow.

I am so glad you're back. I'll talk with you tomorrow.
Marie
Old 04-25-2005, 08:04 PM   #589  

Hi Marie, that sounds like a good plan. I'm really having trouble getting back on track. I keep trying new ideas then failing. I did great until Sat. afternoon then went down hill until late today. I did make it to the pool and weighed in at a whopping 180! a good 10 lbs up from my low of 170 (167 once) in Feb. Oh well, this is a journey and the key is to keep trying. I've really been thinking about what sets me off. No big new revelations, but I have a few ideas which I'm going to explore. I don't want to be 190 when summer starts so here goes - trying again.

I like your water idea, I'll try it. We can do it! All of us!

Hope everyone else is well.

sw210
gw 150
cw 180 (30 down, 30 to go)
Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #590  
PrincessJessica

Smile I'm new here and looking to meet people

Hi there..Im new as you can probably tell. I am 5'1 and weighed in at 154 pounds about a month ago. I have been trying a low carb diet and working out about 5 days a week. I have lost about 8 pounds now but find myself getting discouraged. It would just be really great to meet some people who are in the same boat as me. Im a potato chip and chocolate junkie but havent had any in quite some time. I do however feel like I might crack soon and go back to my old ways (
PrincessJessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #591  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF and PJ, I hope you're both hanging in there. Dieting is one of the hardest things I know of. Sometimes I feel like an alcoholic that still has to drink just a little to live. If I could go cold turkey on eating, I swear I'd be success. I guess I should be thankful I don't drink or I'd probably be addicted to that too.

PJ, welcome, and you're definitely not alone. ToF and I both fell off the diet wagon in Feb/March and we both gained 10 pounds of hard earned weight loss. My suggestion to you is to decide to go off the low carb diet if you think you're going to crack. First a binge on carbs would throw you into a tailspin and you'll feel horrible (did that years ago). Second if you're starting to feel like you're going to slip, you can plan for it. Low carb isn't for everyone. It wasn't for me, but I know people who thrive on it. If carbs are you're first love, not meat, then it's probably not the right way of life. Because we're talking about a life of eating healthy if we want to maintain the weight loss. We're all in that journey together.

ToF, climb back on the wagon with me. I know you can do it. If you've been good for 6 days, and have a bad day on day 7, you're still ahead of being bad 7 days. So you are making progress. Just keep on trekking. Or swimming as the case is. Before I eat dinner, I will toast you and your fothcoming success with a glass of water.

Tomorrow I'll weigh in and let you know if there's been a weight loss. I've been on track so I have some hope. If nothing else, I sure do feel better than I did.

I had today off and spent the day putzing around. I ground my son's stained glass wolf pieces and that took several hours. I have 3 more to cut out that I hadn't seen earlier, then I'll grind them and fit the whole jigsaw puzzle together. I also did priceline to get my hubby tickets to Minnesota in July. I don't want to go, but he should see his parents. He hasn't gone in a couple years and his father isn't too healthy. I see my parents in 2 weeks. They're flying into Reno, which is about 4 hours away. We're going out to dinner and spending the night there. I'll be DH's and my 22 anniversary. Then I'll see my parents in July when we're all going on a cruise to Alaska. BTW, I tried on my formal dress for the captain's dinner and it's too tight. Hopefully that will give me more motivation to stay on track. I also worked on some counted cross stitch too. So overall it's been a really nice day.

So, I'll talk with you both tomorrow.
Marie
Old 04-25-2005, 09:44 PM   #592  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

You are not alone PJ!! I'm a tater chip junkie too! Only a choclit junkie around ToM! Just crusin thru ladies to say hello! Y'all need to start ISO #2...this 40 page things is getting just a wwwwweeee bit too long! just start a thread with the same title...everyone will find it...Keep up the good work ladies!!
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:15 PM   #593  

Hi all. Welcome PJ. The more, the merrier! We can really do it if we continue to spur each other on.

Marie, I really appreciate the fact that you understand what I'm going through. Like you, food is a real crutch for me and I've been using it too much lately to soothe over a few issues (nothing really bad, just bothersome extended family stuff).

I did drink lots and lots of water today! I did skip the cheesecake in the teachers' room. I did ride my bike a bit! Some positive steps.

I think I have to go back to the calories. I was successful with those. I also think I have to give up certain foods like sweets and white bread for a while until I get back and I need to get back with the exercise, although I lost all those lbs this fall without exercise and by simply cutting back on the calories - that's what does it best.

Marie, let me know if you have any weight loss success this week. I'll weigh in next weekend.

cw180
sw210
gw150
daunting goal - a triathlon (I already signed up and paid the $70. on 6/31 run/swim/bike and another tri, just biking, on 6/11) Send me your positive energy - I'll send mine to you. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #594  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi ToF and Hots, today was great. I lost 4 pounds from last week. Some was due to the TOM ending, but I know I actually lost weight - not gain. It was a perfect way to start the day. I also ate/will eat about 1300 calories. I took the dogs on a hike and huffed my way up the hills. And water - I could float away. Overall, I had just a great day. Work and the weather cooperated too.

ToF, I toasted you before each meal with my water. I don't know if it made me feel any fuller, but I did easily get in all my water by doing that.

Food as a crutch? Wow, that's me. I was stressed over the refinancing of our house in Feb and that's when I slid. I didn't come to a stop until the end of March. I eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm bad, when I'm mad or glad, etc. I'm very much an emotional eater. But, I found over the last few months I'm more of a bored eater. If I stay busy, I don't overeat. A nice relaxing evening -> I will overeat.

You really need to exercise - not to lose weight but to get in condition for your race. I think you're nuts for doing it, but no one could ever get me to run. I know you can do it - running and all. Get back into the exercise by walking a little each evening. Don't go overboard and burn yourself out.

Well, have a great night and I'll talk to you tomorrow evening.
Marie
Old 04-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #595  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Food is my "binky" as my nephew used to call his security blanket...if I get stressed out...I turn to food for security and comfort...just found out our hours are getting cut back at work...sooooo off to the store I went after work and ate a whole big bag of BBQ chips...now i feel crappy physically...but mentally i feel better...wow..that sucks!lol
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #596  

Default confession time

I have not been being good. I ate too much at a church cook-out, had oatmeal cookies AND circus peanuts last night. I had a mushroom swiss burger and fries from Arbyís on Sunday. Iím PMSing, I feel, as my DD Karen would say, like a sea cow and Iím just frustrated in general that the darn scale hasnít moved in over a month. I know that pigging out is not going to help; it will hurt. So, Iím struggling to get back on track. Iím considering lowering my daily points after my cycle is over-not ready to go down while in the middle of that! But, I need your help, my friends! Keep my focused on the long run.

Whew-glad to be done w/that!

Food is my crutch as well. I think the reason I've not been good are at least twofold-1) I'm PMSing. 2) I'm frustrated. Trying to get back on track though. So, give me a lift, please! Thanks for being here!

TOF-when is your run? I'd forgotten you were planning to do that. It sounds like you and Marie have helped each other get back on track. It's so great to have friends to depend on, isn't it? How's the calorie counting and exercise going?

Marie-I was so glad to hear Kodiak is back to his mischevious self! DH really likes the job and he's getting quite a bit of exercise. He's a little discouraged this week, though. He went to his psychiatrist Monday who directed him to go to his dr. as the psychiatrist thinks Bill might be pre-diabetic and have problems w/cholesterol. He said, w/everything Bill is doing to lose weight, he-DH-should be seeing the scale move some and these two things could keep him from losing. Also, we're facing some problems from the financial mistakes that were made back in the fall. I hugged him up before he left and told him not to be too hard on himself-that I wasn't being. He said that was okay b/c he was being hard enough on himself for both of us. *sigh* I hope he gets to do some walking outside today to help clear his mind. Congrats on the weight loss and you exercise! You're really back on track! Way to go!

Princess-I just love your name! I have a friend w/whom you'd probably get along well. She calls herself the empress! Welcome aboard. You're in the right place for help, encouragement, accountability and motivation. Let us know how things are going.

Splashes-how's it going? It does really suck that food can soothe the savage beast! What a bummer. But that's why we're here-so find other methods to soothe the savage beast within! Hang in there.

Gotta run. Thanks so much for being here! You guys mean the world to me. TTYL!
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM   #597  

Default Hi

Hi all.

Skinny, join us as we trudge up the hill on this journey - Marie and I are getting back on track and you can do it too. Think how good we'll feel in July and on our first anniversary if we all drop another ten lbs or so. WE CAN DO IT.

Today I made some good choices like drinking lots and lots of water, then pigging out on veggies when I got home from school. Decent eating day. No time for exercising since I'm mom and dad the rest of the week (my dh is away on business).

Marie, way to go loosing four lbs - that's great. It must feel good.

For all of us that use food to soothe our souls - let's share other ways to comfort ourselves. Last night I read a May Sarton journal - I love the way she talks about relationships and nature, very comforting "hearing" a woman talk about her struggles and triumphs. The water is soothing too right now. I'll be looking forward to hearing your other soothing techniques! Take care.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 PM   #598  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all,

Hots, I'm so sorry about having your hours cut back. I think that just sucks. Don't the higher ups know that people don't work for the fun of it, they work for a living and having it cut just doesn't motivate people to work harder. Our school district is cutting positions and they basically put everyone's position on the cut list. So everybody is worried except the teachers with major seniority. So they're going to drag this out for another two months and don't they think that most of us are going to start looking for other jobs? And motivation at work, you just don't have it. Higher ups need some people skills and they usually are just bottom line people. So I'm really sorry about your news. I would have eaten too.

Skinny, welcome back. We've missed you. I know you can get back on board. But just don't go overboard. Do you think you burned yourself out? I know you were exercising like a demon and I had been worried. Most of us overweight people don't like exercise much and is a primary reason for being overweight. Anyway, I know you can et back on track. I'm glad that DH likes his new job and I hope the tests come back negative. As you get older, those things that seemed so distant are now in our faces. But if he is pre-diabetic or with high cholestrol, it's good to catch it now. BTW, from what I understand depression is acerbated by diabetes so that would be a very good thing to catch now and get controlled.

ToF, WAY TO GO ON THE GOOD CHOICES TODAY!!!!!!!!! Laying in bed, snuggling my dogs is my most soothing moments. Blizzard, my Alaskan Husky is the sweetest animal on earth and has a heart of gold. I snuggle with her, just hoping that some of her goodness will rub off on me. Now Kody, he's sweet as can be, but a mischievious devil. I snuggle him when I want motivation to be active. So my soothing grounds are my dogs and food. I'm working on eliminating food as comfort, but so far I haven't been tested. I sure failed in February when I was stressed out about the refinancing. I do still worry that I'm not that strong and could falter, but I just pray that I can be strong when problems arise. I do think that using food as a soother will always be a life time battle for me. I just plan to win more often.

See, we can do this together. I know that you all have helped me tremendously. I don't think about overeating anymore and if it's just a little nibble I stop myself. That's because of this and two other threads. I probably would have kept gaining until I regained every pound that I had lost. But you guys cheered me on and now I'm dedicated to the journey again.

Take care and talk to you tomorrow.
Marie
Old 04-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #599  

Hi all. It's funny Marie - I did so well yesterday then later in the night when the boys were battling and noisy and I was oh so tired, I caved in. I even tried to think of something to do other than food at that time, but I felt so trapped and actually the food did help me to keep my patience. The upside was that there was absolutely no junk food in the house so my eating was all healthy. So I didn't feel bad the next day at all. I would have felt gross if I pigged out on cookies,cake and candy. Instead I pigged out on some dried apricots, a bit of cheese and other nutritious foods. Lesson learned - fill the house with healthy choices.

This morning I ate a lot too - lots of healthy food, not too bad with calories. For the first time in a long time I came home from school not feeling ravenous and much more patient. I proabably burn a lot of calories running around the school and working hard all day and I probably need to eat a bit more during the early part of the day so I'm stronger later on. Something else to try.

What times of day are your best. I'm best at healthy choices from 5am until 4pm. I'm worse from 4pm to 8pm (when my most active son goes to bed). I'm really trying to trouble shoot around my down time. I have some ideas I'm going to explore in the next few weeks. At school I used to eat all the junk food available. Now I avoid 99% of it. I also use to eat the junky school lunches. Now I almost always order a healthy sandwich or salad. Positive changes.

I think that's the key - making positive, life long changes that work for our spirit, personality, interests and lifestyle. Thanks for letting me go on and on. I'm really enjoying this bit of down time (I left my youngest son at day care an extra hour so I could deal with my oldest son's health issue (nothing serious - but needed attn). He got out early from the doctor so here I am with a bit of time to think and lovely women to share my thoughts with.

Thanks for being here.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #600  
Lifelong Journey Member

ToF, I agree that the way to make this work is with positive life changes. I'm glad that you had only healthy food in your house and that eating did make you calmer. I know that I had to add something substantial to my breakfast because my weak time is in the morning at work. I was trying to go with about 200 calorie carb breakfast and it didn't hold me over until 9:00 in the morning. By making it protein and fat (the same 200 calories) I now make it till lunch without hunger pains. It's made a big difference. BTW, there are carbs in my breakfast too, just not as many. I think its the egg fat that has made me not hungry. My easiest times are during your hardest. The evening is a breeze for me, even when I'm not following a diet. Funny how different times effect us differently?

So identifying your time and what you can do about it will be helpful. Maybe another idea is to allow yourself an extra 100 or 200 calories for the munchies during that time. Take if from a time that you aren't munchie.

You're a teacher, right? So you get the summer off, right? That could be the big rejuvenater that you need. My sister is a professor and by May is totally burned out and ready for the peace of summer. So some of what your feeling could be the yearly cycle of teaching. Just a thought. I get part of the summer off, but not all of it. My friend/boss is trying to get my contract raised from 200 days to 220. I understand why, but giving up some of my days off would be hard. Like I have some unused days off so I'm only working 3 days a week in May. I should be very relaxed by June.

Well I was good again today. I don't feel like I'm skating on thin ice anymore and am really dedicated again. I ate 1200 cals and drank my water. DH comes home on Saturday and we shall see how I do when he's here. He enver sabotages my diet but I feel guilty if I don't make dinner. For the two weeks he's been gone, I've made myself dinner just a couple times. Mostly I have 2 eggs and a piece of toast. I don't think that would go over very well in a couple days. So keep your fingers crossed that I can move some of my lunch calories back to dinner time. I definitely will need to make adjustments in what I'm doing now.

Talk with you tomorrow and I hope you have a great Friday.
Marie