Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #106  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the info. There are so many out there. I have 2lb can of Naturade Whey at work too. It's pretty tasty.

I LOVE your avatar! I sure hope Tammy is doing much better. I didn't realize she was so big. Or, is it kobe is smaller than I thought?

I got back on the ol' treadmill today. I got out of the habit when I got sick about a month ago. Not that it was a great habit yet lol. Sporadic at best . Anyways, I got into the 3fc 5K thread and, tho I should have done it on Wed (my day off) I put it off til today. YIKES!!! It was a busy busy weekend at work. Weather was beautiful, abalone season started this month....... we were SLAMMED and I wound up working extra hard and extra hours... but I did it I even did a couple running intervals just to see if I could. It still took me over an hour to do it. But I did it, and that's what matters most. I remember in Seattle I regularly walked around Greenlake, approx 3 miles and always 50-55 min. I'll get there again.

Hope you're doing well Mary.

Dee~
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #107  
Remember Why I'm Here

Yay to Ali from TBL! Oh, to be in my 20's again.

I doesn't look to good for my 20 for now challenge. I started out so gung ho, then sort of fell out of it. I never gained back tho. So I'll just start another one

It was great to see your post in the 5k thread Petra. I sure wish I had the dogs to take out. Would totally make it more interesting lol.

Hope your day is wonderful!

Dee
Old 04-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

the other big news is that got inspired enough to join a yoga studio. I've been two yoga classes so far this week. They were beginner classes and were actually too basic so I'm moving on to another class tomorrow to see if I can find something that feels right to me.

Tammy has still been sick off and on. She was tested for pancreatic insufficiency this week. I'm waiting for the results. I'm also planning to take her for her canine good citizenship test on the 26th which is most of what she needs to be a therapy dog.

I haven't lost much of my 20 lbs either. I plan to go back to the doctor next month after I come back from a conference. I can't feel too badly about it because I have been eating pretty much on plan for over a month now. And now I'm exercising as well. Can't ask much more of myself. It will come off when it comes off.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #109  

Dee-I've been trying to find Seitan in my local area and have been unsuccessful. Do you sell it at your store? If so, can you ship it? I know it is usually refrigerated. I also know it is possible to make it from scratch but I wanted to try a commercial version first.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #110  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

HI LADIES!

boy this semester has been kicking my butt! BETWEEN WORK AND SCHOOL i am just worn out... 2 more weeks and school is done till september! yahoo!

they asked me if i would like to have some of my loan money moved for the summer semester.... eh no thanks!

well I was just reading the posts that I missed.. I have to agree petra the low carb works for me.. isopure huh? thats awesome 40 grams protein and no carbs... is that soy?

havent been on the scale ... almost afraid to look... thos i do know nothing in my closet will fit so thats not too good...

I agree You have to have your mind focused on only weight loss ... i am amazed at the amount of time i spent reading, planning etc when i was melting away before, I am still taking the metformin but i am not seeing any weight loss effects from it, i guess your body adjusts to it.

petra, my dog chai also has food allergies, tho he tends to have skin reactions more so than tummy troubles.

I ended up keeping the lil calico kitten....

anyways I am planning to get back on track... I thinkk low carb high protein!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg diva.jpg (10.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg chai.jpg (21.6 KB, 7 views)
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #111  

Curly-great to hear from you. Sorry this semester has been so rough. Hopefully you will have time to catch your breath over the summer. The pictures are sweet.

A while ago I think you posted a site where you could look up various exercise and see how many calories it burns. Do you remember that website?

I'm reading a couple interesting books. One is on carnitine. The other is Potatoes not Prozac. Have any of you read this book? It's actually about sugar addiction. She has come to many of the same conclusions I have although by slightly different routes and she is much more gentle about her approach to it. She has a program for dealing with it which eases you into a low carb/low glycemic diet. There are several protein power folks who follow this program. I'm experimenting with it. It relies heavily on journalling to learn how food affects your mood. I think that is going to be a very enlightening part of the process for me. It's written by a PhD level psychologist. Her science is actually pretty good although I think she may oversimplify a little bit.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #112  
Staying in 1derland!

hmmmm doesny prozac make most people put on weight? lmao, I v'e done a lot of reading on the effects of serotonin on weight loss, they have said that why the phen-phen combo worked so well (eh expect for the side effects) is because it changed the levels of serotonin in the brain... We had an interesting chapter in my psychology class regarding the "fat rat" experiment.. where they stimulated areas in a rats hypothalmus and the rat either became obese or starved its self to death... that got me thinking tho... seems it also involved the chemical leptin... my brain is cramped right now with child support overload.. but the rat thing was interesting..

I am thinking tho maybe this potato theory has something to do with the serotonin levels of the brain the dopamine effect..

I don't know.. but one thing i am sure of is that I am a carb and sugar addict... and my plan before worked... so i think high protein low carb is for me.....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #113  
Remember Why I'm Here

Hey Curly!!! It's wonderful so see you posting again. I'm sure you must have been so busy with work and school. I'd be taking the summer off too lol.

So I had this big long post all written out this morning before I went to work, but it disappeard on me... grrrrrrrrrr. I don't even remember what I said now. The most important though, welcome back

Petra, we don't carry commercial seitan anymore. I did, but it just kept going outdate. I really think most of our customers who even know what it is prefer to make their own. We do, however carry a snack strip and I would be happy to send you a couple if you want. Here is the site about them. We carry the teriyaki, thai peanut and mesquite lime. Let me know.

http://www.primalspiritfoods.com/Products.html

How's Yoga going? I tried it once a long time ago, but everyone was so small and bendable. I felt like an elephant and didn't enjoy it. I hope your experience is better than mine

Although I was 6 lbs shy of my 20 for now goal, I have finally made it past one of my mental stops of 220lb. I can always seem to get to 222-221 then stall for months and eventually go right back up. I'm at 217 this morning (I know it's not my weigh in day but it was still good to see). I'll probably go up and down a lb or two, but the fact I've seen it is huge for me!!! Next point (which I haven't seen in years) is the 200 mark. HERE I COME!!!

Have a great day ladies!!!!

Dee~

Last edited by iwmonn; 04-21-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #114  

Curly-yes, the potato is about serotonin. You'd have to read the book. She does not advocate a high carb diet-far from it. In fact, several people on PP follow this plan because there is reasonable overlap.

Dee-I'll pm you about the seitan.

My shepherd is turning into an expensive dog. I had her hips xrayed today to make sure she doesn't have hip dysplasia and she doesn't. She was dragging one leg last night. Go figure. She's getting an endoscopy on Thurs. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of her vomiting episodes.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #115  
Staying in 1derland!

I found something really good at the grocery store, tyson grilled chicken strips yummy.. gonna add them to my salad tomorrow for lunch..

amazing when i get off the sugar and carbs... my energy level just zooms and i feel better also!

petra is isopure soy?

u are doing great dee!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #116  
Remember Why I'm Here

Yummmm Curly. With a lil bit of cheese and a hard boiled egg you have some great protein and a chef salad!

Petra, Is there any way the rescue place can (or will) help you out with some of the bills? I mean, you didn't try to "return" her. I'm sorry to hear how ill she seems, but I'm sure you love her just the same! She's a lucky lucky dog. How is Kobe with her?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #117  

I think the isopure is whey. I just ran out of chocolate powder so I'm going to look for some.

Yoga-love yoga but because the classes occur at prescheduled times, sometimes I can get there and sometimes I can't. Last night I went to a class I had not been to before. It was all stretching exercises which I liked although it uses a lot of props. I don't like props in yoga in general.

About the dog-the point about going through a rescue is that you get a pure bred dog at a discount. Some people do return the dogs when they discover they have health problems but I made a committment to the dog and I can afford it so I will do the right thing here. She and Kobe are in love. Very different than the relationship he and Buddy had but they are very attached to each other.

We are taking our canine good citizenship test today. The funny thing is I'm sure she can do everything on the test except lay down on command. This dog is a total couch potato so she certainly loves to lay down-just not sure she will do it when I tell her to. We could have used a few more days of practice on that command but we'll see how it goes. Otherwise she should sail through it. This is almost everything needed for the therapy test. After this she just needs to prove she is comfortable around medical equipment-wheelchairs, walkers, crutches; handicapped people; can ignore food; and is good with children. She has no experience with the medical equipment or the handicapped people but the rest of it she can do. One of the nursing homes I go to is going to let me bring her in for practice so we can get the practice to pass the therapy test.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #118  
Staying in 1derland!

an entire week OP, there's hope for me after all!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #119  

We failed our test. Tammy wouldn't lay down on command but I knew that was very iffy. We had only been working on that command for a week and she wasn't consistent on it. She did everything else perfectly. We took the therapy part of the test too and she passed all the therapy elements so that was a relief. She can't get the therapy certification without the CGC and the down on command is part of the CGC so no certification today. Not sure when we can test again but I now know what to expect and what to work on. Should be a breeze next time. The evaluator was impressed that I had done this much with a rescue in just 3 months and I hadn't really thought about that. She's right.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #120  
Remember Why I'm Here

LMAO .... You had to be there but K.C. just fell off his window seat.

ok.... Yayyyyyyyyyy for OP Curly! There is always hope for you.

Petra, Sorry about the test. But 3 months really isn't a long time. She'll figure it out. I knew, somehow, that you could never return her to the rescue. I really have trouble imagining anyone who could. But, the financial aspect hadn't crossed my mind. I guess in some cases someone may have no choice but to send the animal back- as opposed to not getting proper treatment.

I finally got my test results back from that horrible food manager exam I had to take. I was so worried. I do not test well!!!! I passed with a 98. LOL I was so shocked.

OK, so now my week- I have spent the last 2 days binging on any and all sugar and chips I could find. The new owners have added Lays and Hostess into our store. .. I know it's not the healthy way to deal with it but I just denied myself a wholesome lunch/dinner for those days. As of a few minutes ago, I'm down to 116. Today was a really good day for me (as far as the nasty foods), but I actually don't feel like eating at all.

Oh, here's a nice thing... I called my Dr the other day to see if he would renew my Byetta Rx since I'm heading to the city next week. I can save $35 gas (which has hit $4.10 here!!!) by getting it while I'm there as opposed to waiting til I have my next appt THEN getting the renewal. Anyways, they called me back, and there is another patient on byetta who decided he dind't want to be. He gave them 3 unopened pens and the office passed them on to me! That is over $600. They are half of my dose so I'll be using them up double time, but I'm sure grateful they thought of me

You both have a wonderful Sunday!!! I hope you are sharing the same sunshiney weather we are having here.

Dee