Old 03-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #76  

Day 6 on the P:Y plan is a choice day - I did 30 min on the stepper using the walking tape provided with the program - it is a pretty fast clip - I was DRIPPING when I finished.

Today is a REST day, and I am ready for it!

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #77  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Julie...You've really been working your butt off on this new program..Way to go..
I wish I could say the same for me but I can't...
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #78  

Karen - I always tend to go whole hog into something new - plus I never had any real excuse to not exercise - I just had to be mentally ready to do it. So something really involved is good for my interest level (does that make sense ) Plus, it is VERY challenging so I can see progress everyday, which is good for my spirit.

Julie
Old 03-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #79  

Well, I'm just burning a new mix CD and then off to the gym. Hopefully no falling on my face this time!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:15 PM   #80  

This is kind of cool - apparently I'm not quite as out of shape as I thought. Saturday I did 20 minutes on the treadmill at speeds between 2.8-3.0 (out of 5.5), today I bumped it up to 3.3-3.5 - a brisk walk, not quite to jogging - and did 30 minutes, and I probably could have kept going. I'm looking forward to my real fitness assessment later this week.

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #81  

Here's a question for the exercise experts (Star??) -
For the circuit stuff on Project You - I'm starting off with 3 and 5 pound weights. When I start the exercise - it's not too difficult, but I'm really feeling at the end of the set (and then of course, we move to the opposing muscle, then back again, and again ). When do I know to move to the next higher weights? I do have a set of 8lbs - do I get rid of the 3's and move to 5's and 8's? And then to 8's and 10s?

Julie
Old 03-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #82  

Default Exercise music

Don't know if you all have ever heard about these, but there's a company
http://www.workoutmusicvideo.com/ that puts out tapes and cds of music all within a certain beat/speed range. . . I use these on the stepper and it keeps me going at a steady pace.

Julie
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #83  

Julie - For my arms and shoulders I use 5,6's and 8's. Your muscle will start to burn at the middle or end of set.....I still feel the burn with the 8's. Actually, for arms I don't plan on going any higher than the 8's, that still works the muscle and for sure will tone.
The only place I use heavier weights is for lying down bench presses and lying down shoulder exercises and then I go to 10's and 12's.
The way you know to move up weights is when you can't feel any pressure, even at the end of your reps. Then it is time to move up. Be sure that you are really focusing on the muscle targeted in that exercise. For instance when doing a bicep curl, don't do all the work with your hands and wrist, make sure you feel the bicep muscle do the pulling up of the weight. Just really focus on the correct muscle. I'm sure they explain this in Project You.......With weight bearing exercises you don't have to keep going heavier and heavier,becuz you don't want to build bulk, you are losing weight and want to tone, right?
Hope this helps alittle.....you are doing great!
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #84  

Star, that is a big help - I don't want big muscles, I just want efficient muscles (if that makes sense) I want them to help me burn more calories!
About using the muscles - I am still learning the routines, but have begun to pay attention to which one is supposed to do the work. Instead of just trying to get myself in some sort of position, and getting the weight to go where it is supposed to go, I am starting to say to myself - okay, I'm supposed to use that shoulder muscle to get that weight up there . . . does that make sense?

The tricep dips at the end of a chair are still killer - there is no way to reduce the weight since it is ME. But at least I'm moving my arms now, instead of just raising my shoulders.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #85  

Julie -
Yes, Yes - what you are doing is exactly what I was trying to explain to you. Some people exercise for years and never get it that you have to work "that" muscle. Good for you. The more you concentrate on the correct muscle, the faster you will see results. That's what they mean when they say feel the burn,becuz if you don't use the target muscle you may never feel the burn or see the result you want.
Glad to help Julie - ask me anything......
Old 03-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #86  

I will say this, Star, it's interesting that I can identify the particular muscle. I've never thought of that before. Also, doing them slow, so I don't let momentum carry that weight to where it should be. The cueing on the tapes help!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #87  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

I like coming to this thread and reading the great exercising tips. Now, if I can just get with the program..
I went to the Dr. yesterday and asked him about diet pills. He told me I needed to start excersing and that would take care of my appetite and give me more energy. I just let him go on and on. I didn't tell him that Star has been trying to pound that in my head for going on two years now....
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:16 PM   #88  

Julie - yes you don't ever want to get that momentum swing thing going on. Even if it means stopping at the starting point and starting over with the movement. You are a fast learner.....
Karen - I hope you listen to your 'smart' doctor. Besides I know you want to be as tough as the rest of us exercise chicks.......come on let's go........
Old 03-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #89  

I have to be honest - I am still trying to work out the best times to eat and exercise. If I wait too long, I get too hungry, and then I eat. And then I have to wait for a little digestion to happen . . .And I'm just not ready to face it first thing - although I used to do it first thing. . .

Karen, had to laugh at your reaction to your doctor- we keep on wanting for something magic to be put on the market - something that will take all our unwanted desires away. . .it would be nice if we could pick and choose when we want to be hungry, wouldn't it?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #90  

Julie - With my workout history of 35 years I have learned one thing. You have to schedule workout time for yourself. There is not always a perfect time, but you have to say I'm gonna do it. Once you develope the habit, all the little details will work themselves out (like working, eating, sleeping, etc). lol
With my moving, I will have to give up my "Star Gym" in the basement, which I have grown to love. Luckily our new place has a small gym with all the equipment my "Star Gym" had - go figure huh?