Old 03-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #151  

Yeah Star, I'm going to rate this thread a ONE STAR just cause I had to read about your ears! ROFL!!!! It's okay, I've NEVER liked my nose, but I'll probably never have a nose job - I'm way too indecisive and I'd never be able to pick a new one!

About the HRMs: Polar and Ekho are the two brands sold by my local bike/run store, which is a pretty good endorsement, I think. Polar is probably the best known - they are also the ones that LTF sells. But I found a GREAT deal on an Ekho that I just don't think I can pass up: go HERE to check it out. $40!!! Plus about $6-7 for shipping via UPS. (Even better than e-bay!) It has the chest strap for constant monitoring, the programmable "target zone" with the audio/visual alarm that goes off when you go out of your programmed zone, and a calorie counter, which is not something I really care about, but is a neat perk nonetheless. Oh, and for $20 more you can get the next model up which has FIVE programmable target zones plus five "activity mode programs" whatever they are.

Whew.

Fiona

Last edited by mkfionap; 03-23-2005 at 03:44 PM.
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #152  

FI - Oh no I'm tempted too...I really could use one. Plus I could save the extra 20$ becuz I could never figure out FIVE programmable target zones plus five "activity mode programs." I still haven't programmed my Health-o-Meter scale.....lol
Thanks for doing the research!
I'm so glad you had a giggle over my ears.....lol
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #153  

Star - I never use the "save" settings on my scale, either. I should - that's why I bought it, after all...maybe if I can figure out how to CLEAR all the memory and start over from scratch.

I think I'm definitely getting that HRM as soon as I have $50 to spare. I also think that it's the coolest because it's red.

Fiona
Old 03-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #154  

FI - the HRM is very cute...and so red...I think I have to have it........
Julie - Did you check it out?

Let's consider changing this to:
"Happiness is not found in Having....or Being..... it is in SHOPPING!"
Old 03-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #155  

Shopping is a type of doing, isn't it???

Fiona
Old 03-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #156  

Well, ofcourse it is.........
Old 03-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #157  

Yes, I did take a look - I like that it counts calories, but not sure how you put your weight in so it gets that right. . . Maybe I'll take a look at them this week in brick and morter stores. . .

I totally agree that shopping is doing - plus it keeps the world going. . .
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #158  

Me again - thought I'd post the sample treadmill workout my PT gave me and see if you guys had any insights, before I try and tackle it tonight. Here's some background:

My "AT" is 163, my "Zones" that I'm supposed to try and stay within are 1: 97-114 BPM, 2: 114-146, 3: 146-163. I know that at 0% incline, walking at 3.2, my HR is fairly steady at 160.

The program I'm supposed to follow looks like this:

5 minutes: incline 2%, Zone 1 (97-114 BPM) - warm up
5 minutes: 2%, Z2 (114-130) - warm up
2 minutes: 2%, Z3 (146-163)
1 minute: 2%, AT (163)
4 minutes: 2%, Z2 (114-130)
2 minutes: 4%, Z3 (146-163)
1 minute: 6%, AT (163)
5 minutes: 2%, Z2 (114-130) - cool down
5 minutes, 2%, Z1 (97-114) - cool down

I guess I'm concerned that I'm going to be fumbling with the speed buttons trying to guess how fast or slow I need to cause the appropriate change in HR, and not be moving my HR up or down (mostly down) quickly enough to match the intervals? Thoughts?

Fiona
Old 03-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #159  

Fiona - could you pick one to get straight first - are you most concerned with heart or doing the program as written?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #160  

Fiona - Order the HRM yesterday.....lol
My guess is that your heart rate will be up and you will have to relax and concentrate on staying at the correct rate. This doesn't happen right away either - so just look at it as a learning period...
It sounds like a great program.......you go chick!
My report today is - I DIDN'T workout this morning.......BUT I have a reason. My DH is home packing a truck to take up north and so I slept in with him, danrk coffee and got ready for work. It felt really strange....lol
Plus, I just found out that I don't have to work tomorrow. This is wonderful news becuz he was taking the truck up north tomorrow, now I can go and maybe drive the car hauler with the 57 Chevy in it. I was kinda worried about not being able to atleast supervise......lol
Old 03-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #161  

Star - so you went ahead and ordered the HRM? You are so brave to drive the car hauler ---is it a long trip?

Fiona - I agree with the learning period/curve. . .It took me two weeks to learn the foundation moves on these tapes - and by the time I had the rhythm down my heart rate had settle down (by perceived exertion rate). .

My brother called last night at 9:00 to say he'd be here before noon
Old 03-24-2005, 09:17 AM   #162  

Julie - No I was telling Fiona with her new treadmill program she needed the HRM yesterday.......
Glad your brother is helping you out...with the VCR/CD thingy.....males are so handy....
Old 03-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #163  

Julie - the trip up north is 3 hours, well 2/5 - 3. About hauling the car, like I've told you before, I'm too blonde to be scared of anything......lol
Old 03-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #164  

Star -I wish I had that blonde trait. . . will it work if it comes out of a bottle? (Although I truly don't think I have the coloring for blonde. . .)

Yes, males are so handy - and I'm really lucky that my DB does this kind of stuff so well, since otherwise I'd be out of luck! The only problem is that his internal clock/schedule is so different than anyone elses. . .
Old 03-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #165  

Morning fellow getting-fit chicks.

Well, that that workout sucks! I was thinking the day we did the threshold test that my top number - the 163 - didn't seem high enough, and based on trying that program last night, I think I'm right. My resting HR is pretty high anyway - in the 70s, gotta get that down too - so trying to keep it under 130 for a third of the workout meant I had to go so slow I was practically walking backwards. And then to get my HR up rapidly, I practically had to start jogging, then it was too much - all in all, kind of a mess. And I could REALLY have used a proper HRM - the hand grips take 10 full seconds to register, and when you're doing 1-2 minute intervals, there's just not enough time to adjust the speed up/down to correct it.

I think it would have made more sense, for me, to find a comfortable walking speed and work my HR by changing the incline, rather than vice versa. And of course, these are all things I plan to go over with the PT when I meet with her this afternoon.

Definitely getting that HRM as soon as there's money in the bank.

Fiona