Old 03-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #106  

Julie -

Thanks for the vote of confindence and your right - I deserve to pick my own time of torture (just kidding). Your right, I'll be doing it for several more years here and may as well get it suited to fit me.
I already ask the Apartment Manger about opening early and she gave me some excuse. I think it was that they would have to make a new entrance to the gym from outside the pool facility??????? I will stir the pot again maybe when I move in. I kinda hate to cause too much trouble before I actually live there. But it worth several more trys........
About balance, we use to skate (4 wheels) back when we were kids, everyday and weekends at the rink, also ice skated evey winter. I use to having running races with my older brothers freinds daily too. I was kinda a tomboy. Then a cheerleader, so balance never came hard for me. Heck, I learned how to waterski at 40, our whole family did when we bought the boat.....I'm too dumb to be scared of anything....lol
Julie - you are hanging in there with your new workout program - way to go girl!
About the monitor - I don't have one but I know Rusty does. I'd love to get one, but don't want to spend over $30.........if you learn anything more let me know. Meanwhile I'll be counting outloud here with my fingers on my neck, while watching the clock.......lol
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #107  

Star - you got my point exactly - this is something that gives you satisfaction, joy - you won't be happy if it's a hassel --

About the tapes - I feel quite accomplished that I haven't broken any bones or glassware yet with the jumping I've been doing -

Waterski - I have thought about doing that - If I can ever get those tricep dips down with my own weight, I may just be able to hang on to that rope. . .At least I don't think I'd have vertigo with that!

Hugs,
Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #108  

Julie- Keep it up with the exercise and you will get stronger and stronger, in every phase of your life......You are woman - you will roar......lol
Really - it does give you a sense of power - it's all good......
Old 03-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #109  

Hey - I don't think I ever shared about my first session with the personal trainer last week! We only did the basic fitness assessment tests, but I thought the results were pretty interesting.

First was BMI - she used waist, thigh and forearm measurements. The PT said that as my body fat %age goes down, the caliper test will be even more accurate than measurements, although as a female, I think measurements are what will matter to me cause it's all about the CLOTHES! . I won't even tell you what my BMI came out to, let's just say it was a big ugly number!

Next was the cardio test - hopped on the treadmill at 3.0 and 5% incline for five minutes, did a heart rate check and came up with a VO2 measurement of 20 - I guess this measures how well your body is utilizing oxygen? 20 is really, really bad, I found out, which explains why I can't climb stairs to save my life. I didn't feel winded at the end, but my calves were burning and my heart rate was way up.

Strength (biceps) test - stood on the scale platform and pulled up on a metal bar as hard as I could. That one actually went better than I expected, I ended up right in the middle of the "good" section of the spectrum.

And last, flexibility - the classic sit-and-reach. I scored right on the border between Good and Very Good there - thank you yoga classes! The PT said most new people barely make a blip on the chart for flexibility.

I feel like I'm forgetting something we did, but I don't have my little printouts with me to check. Anyway, I've got my next appointment tonight, we are focusing on developing a cardio program. Next session will be a full strength training assessment - yikes!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #110  

Wow - Fiona - that is terrific to have such a great assessment - you'll be able to see exactly how you progress! Will they develop a program for you too? (my BMI is pretty ugly too)
Old 03-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #111  

LOL - You know who is gonna need some muscle? The movers when they go to pick up my cedar chest full to the brim with my life's treasures.....LOL
Old 03-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #112  

LOL, Star!

Julie - yes, they sure will. I guess every new member gets the basic fitness assessment as part of their membership, but I sprung for 5 sessions with a personal trainer on top of that, because I have no idea what to do with myself aside from climbing on the treadmill and hitting "GO." I'm trying not to set my expectations up too high, but believe me, if I don't think I'm getting my $$$ worth, they're going to hear about it!

And on a related note, one of the goals that I'm going to be working on is cardio endurance, because I've decided to do the MS Challenge Walk in September!! If you're not familiar with it, that's the MS Society's "3 days, 50 miles" fundraising walk. I did it two years ago and actually did pretty well the first day despite doing next to nothing in the way of training - unfortunately I had a back injury flare up at the end of the first day (probably due to lousy walking form) and only completed about half of the 50 miles (the on-site doc wouldn't let me walk AT ALL the second day). Anyway, September is 6 months away and my goal is to be so ready that these 50 miles feel like 5.

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:11 AM   #113  

Fiona - that is a terrific goal - I did the Avon 3 day a few years ago - I did walk every mile, but I limped the week afterwards - I did train, too, but think I probably had bad stretching form, and didn't take the time TO stretch. I'll be interested to hear what the MS leaders tell you about training and dieting - they told us not to go on a crazy diet, we needed to eat good foods, fuel ourselves, and get used to gatoraide. . .

Julie
Old 03-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #114  

BTW, total bummer- my vcr has swallowed a tape and won't spit it out! May get a combo VCR/DVD player today at Best Buy (and then figure out how to attach it . . .) I think I can still get in a cardio workout today, though, using the walking tape. . .

I can't complain - the VCR is at least 6 years old and is used ALOT to record old movies. . .

Julie
Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #115  

Julie - My VCR ate my Beach Body Ab Tape last year. Thank goodness I had copied it for family and friends prior to that. So I had to snatch back a copy from a non-user. That tape works so well - I can't figure out why everyone doesn't use it? I gave it to three people, none of them shared in my excitement over it....luckily I got a copy back with no fight....lol
Today was weight day for me, had a good workout, about 40 minutes weights and 20 minutes cardio. First warming up with the Beach Body Stretch Tape.....which is probably less than 10 minutes.....
I had to laugh at myself today, as I was doing the stretch tape I noticed I could really use some extra attention to my inner thighs. Just when we think we are looking good - BAM - we notice yet another 'needy' area. As long as I look great before DH drops me off at the retirement home - that's my goal........
later....
Old 03-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #116  

Sigh - got the new player. . . Now for the fun part! May call in my electronically minded brother. . .
Old 03-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #117  

Default THE best tapes/DVD's to workout with??

Hiya!
I know it's "the ones you'll use"....but what do you ladies rank as the best of the best & why?
Thanks!
Chris
~Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #118  
234/165.8/160

I like Gilad, he has a show on the Health Network, called Bodies in Motion. It's 30 minutes long, with warm up, cardio, toning and stretching...nice variety. he has several for purchase, but I usually just tape them from tv.
auditgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #119  

I like the Beach Body Series - it has three or four tapes and works all major muscle groups......They have one person do advanced and one do beginner......your choice.
Really - the choices are endless.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #120  

Hi Star...
Is that the exact name? I want to search it out.
Thanks.
Chris
~Chris is offline   Reply With Quote