Old 03-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #121  

Chris,
If you go on www.beachbody.com under fitness products it's sold as "Great Body Guaranted." But all of their tapes, Slim in 6, Power 90 are all similar. so that would be a good website to check some tapes out.
I want to check out Booty-Yoga-Ballet, it looks like real fun.......
I think some of them come with a money back guarantee too.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #122  

Chris - I am using the Kathy Smith Project:You which was developed by Kathy Smith, but produced by Beach Body. I really like it - it starts of easier (sort of) and then gets progressively more intense. However, I like Kathy Smith. And she has so many tapes I can do all sorts of combinations.

But, Beachbody has all sorts of programs - they have an extensive forum at www.beachbody.com - you can look at their different solutions - they even have infomercials, although I haven't seen one yet.

I have also heard good things about Gilad, although I don't think I get the Health Network. Also a woman who does shows on PBS. And the TaeBo tapes always seem to get good press.

But, truthfully, the options are endless - the first question would be - what's your fitness level? And then, what do you like to do? If you have access to a treadmill, maybe just getting music or a book on tape will be the answer for you. Actually, I think this would work for anytype of cardio machine . . . I tend to look at an old movie, although I usually can't hear the words since I'm listening to the music, but it keeps my head busy, and I don't notice how long I've been working out.

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #123  

Yes, Star, I think they do have a 30 day money back guarantee - the YBB looks really fun - want to get through Project You first. . .

There is a questionaire at the site that asks you what your fitness goals are and then it matches you up to the best program - it gave me Slim in 6 and P90 - but no P:Y - I decided to wait and see how I did on this go around.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #124  

Okay - Just wanted to share this thought. Being around for awhile, seeing tapes, programs come and go. I have decided that these trainers all have similar products but just change it up alittle bit. If Beach Body sponsors them, the more the merrier, they all make a ton of money. At the same time, giving us more options and more ways to spend our money. Like Julie said, a treadmill (as basic as it is) is a wonderful tool. I like to get on and watch tv. But the way to make the time 'speed' by is if your at the gym and you can get the person on the next treadmill to talk - that makes the time fly by. Since I had two treadmills in my basement gym, all I really need to do is rent someone to talk and walk with me.....lol
Another way to exercise, that is too much fun to be real work is to ride a bike outside or rollerblade to and around the park........plus you can get some fresh air and sun at the same time......great way to meet people too.....
Old 03-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #125  

Julie - I didn't notice the questionnaire the last time I checked out the BB website - I just did it now and it recommended Yoga Booty Ballet . And Slim in 6, of course.

I have three more classes in the current session at my yoga place, then I'm going to check out the "Fitness Yoga" class at the gym - considering it's free and all! I guess it's sort of a pilates-yoga-combo class. Should be interesting.

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #126  

Julie - Fiona - Okay you chicks got me thinking now, I'm gonna have to go and so the questionnaire - they could hold the answer as to how to get that perfect body.

Fiona -tell us more about your consult with the PT at the gym last night.
Lifetime Fitness has everything you need and more, or so my friend says......lucky you!
Old 03-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #127  

Fiona and Star - maybe we'll be here in the fall all doing YBB. . .

Star - you're right, the techniques come and go - 15 years ago, what was kick boxing??

I think that if you can find the enjoyment factor, which you seem to have done so well, Star, that you can be fit even when the hair is blue. .
Old 03-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #128  

Well for me, they suggested Slim-N-Six and Power 90....so Julie I'll meet you there. I was secretly hoping for YBB......lol
Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #129  

Me too - well what do they know, anyway?? I wonder what Fiona put in to get the YBB?

And, yes, Fiona, DEETS on the consult.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #130  

I think I missed the kick boxing, but I'm thinking 15 years ago would have been around the "step" phase.
I still want to call and see if I can locate a Jazzercise class around me, they are a hoot.
Fiona - Fitness Yoga sounds great and actually there is something similar to that advertised on tv right now.....it looks very effective.
Julie - you know my goal is to be the blue haired arobics instructor at the retirement home.....DH will run the juice bar....
Old 03-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #131  

Oh, right, the PT. Yesterday we did a more extended cardio fitness test to establish my (wait let me get out my cheat sheet) ah - anaerobic threshold. (Although I understand what this is and how it relates to my own workouts, I don't think I can explain it so I'm just going to assume you guys know already. ) Aside from establishing target heart rate and all that jazz, the part I found most interesting was that I discovered that 1) I don't walk straight - I stride longer and strike harder with my right foot than my left, which I'm going to need to work on so that I don't end up injuring myself; and 2) I need to put a priority on interval/incline training. During the test we did the how hard are you working, scale of 1-10 test, and on a flat plane I was fine, but as soon as we started bumping the incline up my heart rate jumped and my legs started feeling fatigued really quickly. So, considering the MS Walk is all outdoors, it's really important that I get better at dealing with inclines (hills).

Then, based on the results of the cardio test, she generated a sample 30-minute treadmill workout for me to try before our next appointment on Thursday. It's all at 2% incline except for two intervals at 4 and 6(!!!)%. Yikes! I think I'm going to be feeling it on Friday. Of course, part of the exercise is to keep your heart rate within certain "zones" at the same time, so if I'm feeling fatigued or my heart rate goes out of whatever "zone," I'll need to remember to slow down so that I can complete the whole 30 minutes. I think I'm going to need a heart rate monitor! I don't like using the hand sensors - it throws off my stride to hang onto them all the time, and minute-by-minute monitoring is a must.

So anyway, that's what it was! My next appointment is on building core strength - I'm guessing that means sit-ups - blech.

Fiona
Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #132  

Oh, and I clicked: have been fit/out of shape; lose weight; 50-100 pounds; entire body; 3-5x/week, 30-60 min/day.

And wow, $40 + shipping isn't bad - although I think DH would kill me for spending $$$ on at-home workout stuff when we just joined a 24-hour gym.

Fiona

Last edited by mkfionap; 03-22-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #133  

Star - oh yes, Step and Jane Fonda. . .maybe 10 years ago for kick boxing??
Also, I am sure that workouts and the juice bar will be the most popular place in the retirement home.

Fiona - that sounds like a great assessment - very interesting on your stride!
Let me know what you find out about heart rate monitors. I'm looking for one that's not too expensive but also gives calorie burn . . .When you did the walk the last time did they give you any kind of walking plan, sort of like marathon training? BTW, my defination of core is changing to PILATES - but I'm thinking that with yoga you may already have a pretty good core. .
Old 03-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #134  

Fiona - I guess to understand target heart rate or zones you just have it explained correctly. Now you know why I'm timing and counting all the time, I need the heart monitor too.....With time the fatigue feeling will pass, and you'll find it easier to stay in your 'zone.'
I can't do incline becuz my foot doctor told me it was too much pressure on my bunions,but I know it is more trying than flat surface. Unfortunately I have to listen to my foot doctor until I have surgery.
Working on Core strength is far more than abs, it's a balancing act using the core muscles of your body. I believe it is similar to what you do in pilates. Your yoga should come in handy for you here and in other areas of your new program.
Keep us posted and remember no matter how sore you get - it's all good!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #135  

Julie - Your showing your age with Jane Fonda, her tape was out in the late 70's becuz I remember I just gave birth to my youngest......lol

Hey and now that FI gave us all the right answers - we can cheat and be directed to use the YBB......oh goodie.....lol