Old 03-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I wanted to comment on the "I walk-should I do leg/bun exercises" thing a few posts back.

If you are doing regular walking-like treadmill or walking outdoors then YES by all means do lower body strength training. If you are doing Walk Away The Pounds or something similar-you may find that you are getting more all around leg and bun toning.

The reason is because regular walking tones and works mainly your quadriceps (front thighs) hamstrings (back of thighs) and calves (back of lower legs). Regular walking will get the buns some IF you are using the incline on your treadmill, or the outdoor path that you walk has some places where you are going up hills.
This is all well and good, but your inner and outer thighs aren't used all that much.
Walk Away The Pounds, Denise Austin Trimwalk, and other walking videos also incorporate knee lifts, side steps, and other things that involve a little more inner/outer thigh muscles and hips/buns. Leslie Sansone has designed the program that way on purpose.
I hope that helps.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:41 AM   #32  

Aphil, Good advice about the inner/outer thigs. I could use some toning on my inners,, I get alittle with my bun and thigh roller, but always room for improvement!
Maybe I will incorporate my toning bands in somewhere for inner thighs. (There just isn't enuf time in the day....lol)
Today I started out with weights, about 40minutes. Then when I went on my recumbent bike I really had to keep it s-l-o-w to keep maintain my target heart rate.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #33  

Hi ladies:

Well, have been adding exercise (with Julie, the workout-buddy from **** - LOL!) and Fiona - I'm right there with you. My body hurts in places that I didn't know I had. Especially the ABS/Stomach area and I'm loving it as I know that it's working! LOL!
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #34  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

I added an extra set on just the stomach on my ultra track. It kicked my butt up one side and down the other this morning. But I did it...Yippeeee
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #35  
One meal at a time!

Hey...Does anyone else have the walking tape from LA. I have it but of course I haven't looked at it yet. I was just wondering if it was any good...
Old 03-03-2005, 07:37 PM   #36  

Hi Karen - I do have the walking tape - Easy Steps - it is really only 20 minutes, it's not difficult or hard to follow - I did breathe harder when I did it, but didn't sweat.

Does this help?
Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #37  

Hum.....Today was abs/buns and cardio day. Usually my favorite workout, but I did notice that I had to work harder to get and keep my heart rate on target. I guess when I lift weights, it is higher by the time I start the cardio and that's why I have to slow it down. Today I had to work to get it high enuf - oh well, just thought I'd share.....lol
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #38  

Star, do you do some sort of cardio to warm up before the weights? The P:Y stuff suggests the cardio before the weight training portion.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #39  

Julie - I do the weights first and then cardio, it is a time thing.
Thanks....
Old 03-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #40  

Default Heart Monitor

Hi Star and Julie:

My workout buddy has a heart monitor, she purchased her's for $50 at Dick's (if you have that store in your area - it's a Clothing and Sporting Goods store). I'm thinking of getting one myself. She compares are rate on her monitor to the one on the machines at the gym and she said they are always both at the same rate. She has a strap of some sort that snaps around her torso in the area of the bra band (if you wear one) - she licks it, I guess it must have something that sticks to your body? The other piece looks like a watch. She can hang it on a machine or wear it. She loves it and says it's the basic model in case your looking before I do.

Sy
Old 03-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #41  
One meal at a time!

I have the same type of heart rate monitor. I bought mine at Walmart for 30.00 back in sporting goods. It sure makes a difference. You don't have to work as hard as you think you do...

By the way, I'm still working at the exercise...Woo Hoo...
Old 03-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #42  
BAS
BAS

Karen - WTG - I'm so proud of your exercising - its a very healthy thing to do and when you get old as me you'll be so comfortable with it .

Reason I encourage you: I never had any blood pressure or cholestoral problems until I quit my period two years ago. The doc's tell me thats what brought my health problems on . With all my walking and exercising both are very much in control. If I didn't exercise I would be taking lots of meds to control this stuff - meds are no fun to take.

THe heart monitor that you folks have - does it do the blood pressure thing too> I think my sister has one that does both because she has to monitor her heart rate and blood pressure. I want to get one ASAP. I was trying to use the heart rate on the treadmill - goofy thing - one minute it says 78 and the next 183 -I think NOT.

My hubby is making popcorn - I had to leave the room. I got an apple and came in here to get away - it smells so good - some day - some day soon I'll have my popcorn and skinny jeans too.

Okay what Aphil said about Walk Away the Pounds - ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! My inner things- why they don't seem like mine anymore - I am amazed how tight they are getting. THe jigging is 1/2 gone at least and I'll keep on a going. THe funny part with WATP's is when you walk in place real fast but spread your legs a little apart- funny looking but it works on those inner thighs not to mention the knee lifts. whew-

Okay I'm gonna hit the showers - did my Treadmill tonight - feel good about that - actually for a Saturday - weekend - I did great - I am so glad to have control again. I guess I've made up my mind I'd rather be skinnier than have that food. RIGHT GIRLS!

Hugs to all -
BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #43  

Default Comment for Aphil

Aphil,

I want to thank you for your comment about needing to work our inner thigh area. Prior to that comment, I was having a blonde moment. Wondering what to do for my inner thighs. Then Friday something clicked in my head, I went to my (forgotten) vast collection of workout tapes. Oh my Gosh, there were so many, in a box in the closet. A really good set is the Beach Body Series, it has abs (which I use), thigs, stretch, buns, the whole body. So Saturday I did the thighs -just let me say "Outch" Then Sunday I did the stretch tape, really good and short so I can throw it in anywhere.
Ocourse on Sunday I could barely walk becuz of the thigh tape....

So now my routine has to change up alittle. This is my new plan:
M-W-F Thigh Tape, Ab Tape, Bun/Thigh Roller, 20 recumbent Bike, 20 minute treadmill

T&T (maybe SorS) Stretch tape, weights and light cardio

I'll just do this for this week and see how it works out, I did it this morning and it wasn't bad, took 1 1/2 hours.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #44  

Default Omg

I did the first two tapes today of Project You. I am so out of shape. I SWEAT BUCKETS. I drank almost a whole liter of water. I feel every muscle in my legs.

Today was the foundation cardio and lower body sculpting.
Tomorrow is foundation again and upper body.

Hopefully by Friday I'll have the steps down on foundation . .
I have to remember that the first few times I do a tape I'm always tripping over my feet.

But I am so proud of myself that I DID IT!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #45  

Default Why didn't I think of WalMart?

I'm like the WalMart queen in my office as I go there several times a week during lunch. Hey, when they have such great prices - why shop anyplace else? Anyway, Karen/Rusty - thanks for the tip. I'll checkout WalMart this week for a HRM. Never thought they'd have them there? Happy exercising. Sy