Old 03-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #166  

Fiona - I think you should talk with the personal T and tell them that you want to get use to the treadmill and how your HR ranges before trying such a varied routine....
I know you'll stand your ground......
Remember - it's all good!
I want the HRM too, I'm tempted to order it today....

Julie - I get all my blonde moments out of the bottle.....lol

Last edited by Starlynn; 03-24-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #167  

Star - I just ordered mine! Too bad you live like, 800 miles away or something, we could be workout buddies with matching HRMs. LOL!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #168  

Okay miss smarty pants - I'm right behind you with the ordering. We could meet in the middle? Where would that put us? Julie will know, she's the traveler.....? So if we all three meet in the middle, where are we Julie?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:20 PM   #169  

Our little bride, Diane, is somewhere on the eastern end of Wisconsin - we could meet at her house. Wouldn't that be a fun wedding/honeymoon surprise?

Edit - scratch that, I can't read today.

Fiona
Old 03-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #170  

Just give me a couple of days to get there- from the east coast??? Actually, geography is NOT my good point - I'm getting pretty good with road maps, though..
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #171  

PT said to try the routine at least one more time - I think I'll wait til next week when my HRM gets here - and if it's just not working, do whatever cardio I'm comfortable with until our next appointment (she's going on vacation so I have a week to work out on my own), then if it still seems awkward we'll do the threshold test again when she gets back.

Did that core stuff today - no actual sit ups, but plenty of modified pushups and squats. Boy did I feel it! Supposed to do 30 minutes of cardio and a whole list of core exercises 3x each over the next week. I'm going to be a tired gal!

Fiona
Old 03-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #172  

Fiona - just a thought, since I went through this learning curve thing on the exercise series I'm doing now - pick the complicated thing first and get it down, and then add in the easier part (or the other way around) - it doesn't have to be perfectly right the first few times.

I'm with you on the core stuff - pilates (and only 30 min once a week) kicks my b*tt. well, my abs. And the strength training - I am doing more reps each time.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #173  

Talking Exercise & Water Weight Gain

Hi, All -

I know that some of us who have started to add exercise to our lives, regardless of what LAWL says, have been concerned about muscle weighing more, maybe not seeing an immediate loss from adding exercise, etc. I came across this in Bob Green's new book, Ultimate Weightloss Makeover (I think) - anyway, I'm going to include this as a quote, make us feel a little better:

"In the beginning, as you start exercising and ramping up your workouts and as you change your eating habits, the water you body holds on to (or lets go of) will largely dictate your losses - or even gains. As you become more active and drink more water, your muscles will retain water. The primary culprit here is glycogen, a form of carbohydrate that's stored in your muscles and is the main fuel for exercise. The more active you are, the more glycogen your muscles will retain and thus the more water you'll hold on to: Each gram of glycogen stores an addtional 2.5 grams of water. What's more, the fitter you become, the more glycogen you store.

This initial water weight gain can be disheartening, but hang in there. Water-weight gain will cover up the body fat losses that you will be experiencing. After a few weeks, you will begin to see fat loss. And the reality is, this is a part of charging up your metoabolism, which will ultimately lead to an increase in your fat-burning power."

Even though I'm committed to LAWL because of the $$ I've invested, I still borrow all the new diet/exercise books from the library to see what the hype is.

Anyway, I've heard this explanation before - especially at the Firm Forum (for the firm videos - which I've had for too long to remember and used to do faithfully, now the most exercise I get from then is running the duster over them - but that's another story.) So, for years, over at the Firm boards, some people noted that when they started working out and using dumbbells, (the firm is Aerobic Weight Training combining cardio and weights) that they seemed to get bigger rather than smaller in the first couple of weeks or so, and then suddenly the weight seemed to drop off all at once.

The Firm also preaches that you have to feed your body more if you are working out, and are proponents of clean eating and I feel LAWL is pretty consistent - except for the LA Bars which to me have a lot of sugar and even some partially hydrogenated oils - with the lean proteins, fruits and veggies, etc.

I'm not saying that any of this will work or apply to everyone, but I do feel that as we get closer to our goals, we have to change things up and tweak as our bodies change. Our bodies are going to react differently to getting and being in shape, than it's reaction to our being sedentary and eating food with no nutritional value which it just stored as fat.

That's why I think, and maybe Star said this too, that LAWL needs to rethink their views of exercise. Many of the people who are featured in Thin for Life, and in that weightloss study that I can't remember the name of, all do at least an hour of exercise a day to maintain their weight.

Enough from me for now. I am home today trying to clean and as you can see, I am easily distracted!

Melissa
videochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:05 AM   #174  

Melissa, thanks for adding in the expert speak! I've seen that alot in various forums - that when we first ramp up the exercise, the scale weight doesn't drop - but then will starting 3-4 weeks afterward. . . I do wish that LAWL was a little more supportive of this!

Running the duster, hmmm? Well, I cleaned my sliding glass door windows yesterday, does that count?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #175  

Smile Me Again - HRMs

So soon you say!?! I do thing's backwards, I was so anxious to post what I read in Bob Green's book, I didn't read the rest of the thread first.

Fiona - Thanks for the link for that Ekho, it is really cute and the price is right. Hopefully my tax refund will be here soon and I might make the purchase.

If I may add one thing about Polar, you must send your HRM back to them to get the battery changed and that usually costs about $50-60. I had one years ago when I was seriously working out and that was the one draw back, while the battery lasted a year, to pack everything up, yep chest strap too, mail it out, when a watch battery is like five dollars was a pain in the butt.

I've heard good things about an hrm called Sigma Fit or something like that, I know a guy sells them on ebay, and you can change the battery yourself. I think it sells for about $50-60, but it is not as cute as that Ekho. Also, CardioSport hrms allow you to change the battery yourself.

If you're wondering why I am such a font of information (HA!) - my old BF was/is a fairly accomplished runner and first introduced me years ago to using an HRM because he felt I wasn't working in the zone, etc, etc, more like I zoned out. He had all those extras on his, I think it was Polar that was like $300! His last time, time in zone, out of zone, beeping, lights - danger Will Robinson!

Let me tell you when I first got one, I wore it all the time because I wanted to know my hr for everything, it can be addictive.

Well, the dust bunnies are calling me.
Melissa
videochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:59 AM   #176  

Melissa - thanks for the info on the HRM. I keep on thinking that there should be one that attaches to you shoes, so it knows how much you weigh, and then can calculate the calories? Now, that would probably really be Star Trekkie...

Okay, these are my exercise goals for the week. . . My VCR is up and running. I did get in workouts on Friday and Saturday - I'm going to use Sunday as my rest day. .

These tapes are based on the ProjectYou system - so the schedule is already set - I just have to DO them.

Monday/Thursday - 30 minutes cardio tape, 30 min Lower Body Workout
Tuesday/Friday - 30 minutes cardio tape, 30 min Upper Body Workout
Wednesday - 20 minutes pilates, 20 min yoga
Saturday - 30 min cardio - I've been doing a walking tape on my stepper. It also comes with ProjectYou - The tape also continues onto the second side with an interval workout, which I haven't even listened to yet. I'd love to get through that portion by the end of April.

Since I missed several days last week, I'm considering myself at week 3, still, so I still have at three more weeks at this schedule. Then there is a 'rest week', then the program shifts again for weeks 7 through 12. . .

Also, I haven't taken my measurements yet. Not sure if this is a good day to do it after a week of steroids, but have to start somewhere, right?

I may just get that HRM as a reward for following the program this week!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #177  

Julie - WOW - you are one bad chick! As of this newly posted workout schedule - you kick butt! Very impressive, is this as instructed by Project You? If so, it doesn't look like they are messing around.
As of last Thrusday, I have closed the "Star Gym" - It is a very sad time for me.
I still have afew tapes I'm doing at home, but right now I am inbetween deciding on when and which gym to go to.
I am glad to report that with all the weekend moving I was the one that complained the least and suffered no injuries or soreness......GO-Trina Go-Trina!
This coming Saturday is move day to the apartment - I'm rather excited now and anxious to be so near the fitness trail.
Melissa - Thanks for the info on weight training and so why is this all so complicated anyhow? It's just not fair.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #178  

Star - yes it is the projected plan via project you - I'm just hoping I can keep up with it. I did the lower body today, and I still can't do all the reps in each of the exercises - but I can do at least two . . Oh well - I've got three more weeks to see if I can complete the whole tape. If I can't I can always tack on another week!

So sorry that the Star gym is closed for a while. I can't believe that you are able to actually move in two weeks.

BTW - It doesn't surprise me in the least that you complained the least over the weekend. And are the strongest.

And you'll be moving on daylight savings weekend - so you'll have more light at night to enjoy your new fitness trail.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #179  

Hey chickies -

My HRM is supposed to be here tomorrow - can't wait! Also, DH and I were trying to count how many times I've been to the gym so far since I joined - need to get in 8 times a month to get the rebate from my health insurance - and realized I had been in 7 times already, and it wasn't even a full month. The counting was pretty funny, though, sounded like this: "Okay, I got a freebie the day I signed up, then the day after because I had promised DD she could go in the playroom (child care center), then there was the two times that I fell off the treadmill, and the one time I DIDN'T, and the two personal trainer sessions. Wow, seven!"

What's great is all they monitor is your check-in, so I get attendance "credits" even if all I do is sit in the hot tub for an hour or do a session in the tanning bed or get a massage.

Fiona
Old 03-28-2005, 12:40 PM   #180  

Julie -
About your exercise program, I can't tell you anything anymore - you are one fast study! Like you said, just do as many reps as you can, you'll be at the head of the class in no time.....or head of the tape.....lol Your moving at such a fast rate I'm almost glad you aren't my workout buddy....lol Go-Julie Go-Julie!
I'll keep you posted on what my new workout routine brings, always something new with me.....sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh