Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #346  

Height: 5 '6

Mason, your looking great! Way to go!!
Hiker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 328/289/220

Height: 6'1"

I just crossed the 80lbs lost threshold. It's going very slowly these days but I've been working out four days a week building muscle at about the same rate as my fat loss.

Last week I felt a pop in my thigh/leg and after a few days of muscle pain, I realized that my body is completely out of alignment from years of being overweight... like a hanger with the clothes awkwardly hung askew, I'm crooked.

Has anyone else had issues with posture, hip alignment, or pelvic dysfunction? What did you do to help get back in alignment? Is anyone doing any mobility rehab or strength training?
Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 272/219/200

Height: 6'2"

Hey shingen. Those all sound like good problems to be having and you should be encouraged that your body is changing that drastically. I don't have any advice on the matter bc i haven't had any of those problems. Ask your coach or a physical therapist to get the best info on how to handle that. Your body is an amazing instruments and has the ability to naturally heal itself. You will probably have some aches and pains along the way, but those are far better than the aches and pains you would have down the road if you continued at your same weight. When I used to hit the weights hard while I was in football i always knew when I was sore it was my body correcting a problem area. I have had 5 knee surgeries and deal with achy joints from time to time. I have had a significant drop in pain since I took the weight off and I can tell my knees are readjusting to having to carry less weight. I would suggest doing yoga or palettes. They are not the most manly workouts but they are miracle workers when it comes to joints and realignment. I had an uncle with hip problems and palettes really changed his world. All will help firm your muscles up and put everything back in its right place. Muscle Developement cures a lot of our bodies cricks and pains. Consult an expert and see if its time to start developing muscle and not just burning fat. It might make the weight loss go slower, but I imagine it will help your body feel better. Keep up the good work brother!
Mason_Hookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #349  

Mason, I hear what you are saying. I've already begun working out and have been for the past three months, four days a week, with a trainer in small classes. Weight loss has slowed down considerably and I have shown an increase in lean mass vs. fat. While my general mobility and flexibility has increased I have noticed that areas that I've never had pain in are now hurting.

I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that I'm working out muscles I've never worked before. That said I just saw a chiropractor yesterday and after one adjustment I feel somewhat better. (how much of this is in my head I'm not sure, we'll see) Most surprising is just how much I am out of alignment, hips pushed out and over etc. Just standing barefoot, in front of a mirror I can see that I tend to lean to one side.

One major downfall I see with IP is the general lack of exercise as a component. Especially after the first few months once you are ketogenic. I've seen post after post on this forum of people who plateau 6 weeks in and then later in three months. Their coaches only say to eat more or less IP foods... Everyone, I feel, is different and has to find their own path at some point.

Exercise and tweaking my diet has helped me to reevaluate my goals. It's not just about losing weight anymore but seeing how much I can lift, do in a timed session, or give each workout.

I also feel that when working out, especially for men, need to increase their calories through fats and protein. I've tweaked my diet to eliminate my restricted once a day and now incorporate a one day refeed/refuel/carb eating; Whereby eating carbs after 5:00pm to 10:00pm once a week, I am cycling carbs back into my system to spike insulin. It has done wonders for me both mentally and it has restarted my weight loss. It's not enough to just stick 100% on protocol when working out. For me, sticking 100% IP to the end of Phase 1 and not exercising would mean too much of a comprise in my lean mass. I don't want to look like Jared from those subway commercials.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #350  

How all my ip men doing? Down 47 lbs now. 25 more to my goal.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #351  

Saw my parents for the first time in three months, they've been in Florida for the winter. Last I saw them I was heavier, 264 but now I'm down 15 or so pounds.

It's nice getting a reaction from people you've known your whole life.

Kinda went off the rails for Easter. But I don't feel bad about it. Now that I know how my body reacts to the carbs, I know when to eat them and what the effect will be.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #352  

That's awesome shingen! My weight loss has slowed down a little but I have been breaking the diet about every 2 weeks for certain events, like Easter. The funny thing is how much I crave healthy food when I eat improperly now. Just kinda feel gross. I had Eggs benedict over the weekend and the hollandaise made my stomach feel all funky. The only thing I really miss at all on this diet anymore is the alcohol ... and a reuben for some reason.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #353  
Jig

S/C/G: 360/Ticker/225

Height: 6'2

You just had to say reuben didn't you
Jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #354  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig View Post
You just had to say reuben didn't you
One of the gals on P1 does "Reuben in a bowl" like "Big Mac in a bowl" - she uses no-sugar corned beef shredded on top of sauerkraut and WF Thousand Island dressing - can't say how yummy, 'cause I haven't tried it, but you might if you are craving a reuben.
If you are really into recipes with IP packets you could probably do one for a biscuit type thing and top with the Reuben fixins for an open face mockwich.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #355  
Jig

Oh, that does sound good. Might have to make smoke some corned beef this weekend and give it a try! Thanks for the idea!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #356  

I just can't stand wf products. They are way off of my taste pallet. Appreciate the recipe canadjineh but I am going to hold off until I can get one with pastrami Swiss and marble rye. Literally have had dreams about it. I tried the big Mack in a bowl and i prefer a patti coated in onions, grain mustard, jalapeños, and pickles. I was really creative with my foods at first, but I have slowed down and just enjoy simple recipes. That's not discourage anyone from trying stuff. I really enjoyed my creations but now i just grill at the beginning of the week and cook some veggies the day of. Makes life very simple, and nothing beats a smokey taste on your meals, at least for this Texan.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #357  
Jig

I'm with you on the WF products Mason, most of them make me want to gag. Fortunately, the thousand island is one of the few that is ok (just barely) for me. I have a fridge full of wf bottles that have a couple tablespoons out of them because I just kept trying news ones in the hope that they would be better. I do something very similar to the patty you made, though I have a ton of ground moose that I use, very tasty and hardly any fat
Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #358  

After 3 and a half months on this diet i am about to go stir crazy with the same vegetables and not being able to work out. Anyone have any suggestions? I was considering doing paleo for a bit, but i dont want to stray from a program that is working so well.

On the encouraging side, i officially can't wear any of my dress pants. I dont want to get them altared yet bc i have another 25lbs i want to drop. Kind inconvient but its a good kind of inconvient. Anyways, any advice from you guys?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #359  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason_Hookem View Post
After 3 and a half months on this diet i am about to go stir crazy with the same vegetables and not being able to work out. Anyone have any suggestions? I was considering doing paleo for a bit, but i dont want to stray from a program that is working so well.

On the encouraging side, i officially can't wear any of my dress pants. I dont want to get them altared yet bc i have another 25lbs i want to drop. Kind inconvient but its a good kind of inconvient. Anyways, any advice from you guys?
CONGRATS ON YOUR LOSSES,!

After the first three weeks many people do light workouts that don't elevate your heart rate above a low/moderate rate increase... Some do more intense, but as you build muscle , you will slow your losses down. If that's ok with you, then you should be fine. You MUST add an additional packet w/in 30 minutes after working out. You need the extra protein (a lower calorie packet like one of the Fruit drinks or jelly is typical).

There are MANY veggie choices... Are you eating the same ones because they are easy, familiar, tasty? Try some new ones, or prepare yours differently... Roasting is my favorite. Check out the recipe threads and the veggie purée thread (link in Daily Chat). Have you grated cauliflower into rice yet? Serve under your meat w/a few other stir fried veggies, add garlic, ginger, soy for a Chinese meal. Use a veggie shredder to turn zucchini into noodles (zoodles), top with spiced-up ground beef and no sugar added canned tomatoes or sauce for an Italian meal.

Why are you stuck with your veggies?

Last edited by JLUS; 04-30-2014 at 06:19 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #360  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Bump for Michael!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote