Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5'2

Hi all, I have just started C25K and i am about to do w1d2 but i had a couple of questions...I found it pretty difficult (I haven't run in about 8 years) and i was really sore the day after and in fact the day after that. Does it matter? Should i just push through and ignore it or will i injure myself?
Any encouraging words about the program? I think i have a bit of a mental block about running but it's hard to imagine i will be able to run for even 5 minutes at a time...
rosiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #47  

Height: 5'11"

Hi Rosie! I am in my late 40's and I'm sore every time I finish, and sometimes into the next morning as well. I don't know if that's because of my age or because I'm so out of shape (or both). My soreness is more of the "achy muscles all over" variety, and I just take Advil and drink lots of water after my sessions. If it was true pain, then I would listen to my body and not run until I was healed up.

Something that has helped me is to really do a lot of stretching before I start. I wasn't doing that at first, and I just felt so stiff and awkward as I was jogging that I really wasn't comfortable at all. Now I walk 1/2 mile to the school track, spend about 5 minutes on some really good stretching, then start the podcast which means I walk another 5 minutes after the stretching. I think it has really helped with the soreness. Last night I was so hot and sore that I came home and jumped into the shower and found that really helped, too.

You could also kind of snoop around the exercise forum and see if there are any people who are experienced runners who can advise you on when to push through and when to not, so that you don't injure yourself.

Congratulations on starting! It's kinda fun even though it's difficult, huh!?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #48  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

DH & I did w5d1 this morning. I was nervous but it went really well. I think I mentioned that I was having more trouble with the 3 minute runs than the 5 minute runs so maybe that is the reason. The first couple of minutes of the first run were rough for me but then I found my groove.

Rosie, Windchime is giving good advice on the stretching. This is my 2nd try on the c35k. I did try doing the c25k about a month before by myself. I thought I had stretched out enough, but my rt hip and knees hurt so bad I only tried it once. After running with DH (a former long-distance runner), he informed be that I was trying to run too fast, meaning I was trying to sprint. Over time the soreness abates. I too was really sore afterwards but last week I really noticed that I wasn't as sore and fatigued anymore. Normally, I would have been beat if we ran in the morning and I feel fine today.

Someone asked (Windchime?) about how the w5 podcast is with Robert giving cues for the 3 different workouts. I don't know if my podcasts are the same, because mine has no music whatsoever (so DH & I can talk if we need to), but he is really clear with each direction. Anytime you switch from walking to running or vice versa, he clearly states Day 1, Day 2 or Day 3. And I'm pretty sure I heard that Day 3 is 20 minutes of straight running. I'm going to check on that to be sure. We'll see how I do with that!

Last edited by losermom; 05-30-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Yep! w5d3 is a 5 min walk, 20 min run, 5 min walk!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #49  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Good job, Renee! (Sorry, I don't know how to make the accent thingie). Monday will be my day for W5D1 unless I decide to do it Sunday night. Not likely since my sister will be spending the weekend with me.

People have a misconception that it's always cool and rainy in Washington, but that's only for the west side of the state. Even people who live in Western WA think that! It gets really cold and snowy here in the winter, and the summers are HOT. It was 90 yesterday. I love it when it's hot, but it does make running difficult. As soon as the sun went down, it dropped to 80 so I went then.

Did you buy your new running shoes yet?

thanks! (and alt +130 will do the é but it's not necessary ) I'm already wanting to start week 5 - I think I'm addicted!! I DID get my new shoes, these ones:
- probably why I want to go running already!

I do understad that it gets warm where you are! I lived in Portland for about 4 years and I remember how hot Eastern Oregon was! I guess I'm just getting used to the mild dutch weather!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #50  
I'm listening...

Velveteen, your new shoes are cute! I have very similar ones, Nike also, in aqua. I don't know if I'm addicted, but DH is. Which is good, he needs this, probably more than I do. His brother, 3 years older than he, had a heart attack the day after Christmas 08. He's better now but his recovery has been slow. Heart disease runs in my husband's family. His grandmother and father both died at 57 of heart attacks, as well as 3 uncles at older ages. DH is 51 and while he is in ok health, he does have borderline hbp and a few other minor problems, he should probably lose about 30-40 lbs. He's already lost 5 since we started and he says that he feels better and is excited to continue. He even plans to run more than 3x a week when we finish c25k, probably more like 4-5x week. I plan to join him 3x a week until the snow falls at least. I am not looking forward to the summer heat, 80-90 with high humidity levels. DH prefers to run around 5-6pm at night, which could be really hot. We may be forced to switch to mornings at some point. We'll see...

As for me, I have lost 1" on my waist (which is kinda thick) since we started, so I am definitely seeing the benefits!

Last edited by losermom; 05-30-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #51  

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Someone asked (Windchime?) about how the w5 podcast is with Robert giving cues for the 3 different workouts. I don't know if my podcasts are the same, because mine has no music whatsoever (so DH & I can talk if we need to), but he is really clear with each direction. Anytime you switch from walking to running or vice versa, he clearly states Day 1, Day 2 or Day 3. And I'm pretty sure I heard that Day 3 is 20 minutes of straight running.
Yep, that was me who asked and thanks for clarifying! I will be doing W5 D1 tomorrow evening so it's good to know how the podcast works. And yes, it's 20 minutes of running on D3. That seems a litte extreme to me and I was/am really fearful about it, so I googled (don't you love the internet?) and it seems that everyone has this fear, but most people said that they were able to complete the 20 minute run, that the interval training we're doing really did prepare them for the 20 minutes. So I say we give it a shot!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
thanks! (and alt +130 will do the é but it's not necessary )

Cuté shoés!
Old 05-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #53  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

What a great thread to find - I just did W1D1 this morning!

I have been planning to start/try the C25K program for a long time and have been actively putting it off (daily) for the last month... I must admit I'm dreading to run again - it's been years (and lots of added pounds) since I last ran.
Today went surprisingly well though, and it's really nice to read how you guys are doing in the later weeks.

I'm using Robert Ullrey's podcasts and I have also joined a challenge on Nike Plus (I'm using the iPod+Nike kit) to run/jog/walk 20miles in May. I plan and hope I'll be as successful keeping up with the program as you guys are.
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #54  

Welcome to the thread, mette, and congrats on W1D1! Starting is often the hardest part, or at least it can be for me.

I just did W5D1 today and I have to agree with losermom; doing the three 5 minute runs was somehow easier than doing alternate 3 and 5 minute runs. Maybe because we had 3 minute rests between each run? I dunno. Tomorrow is two 8 minute runs and that seems kind of scary, but honestly I'm finding that if I can somehow disengage my mind from what I'm doing, it's not too difficult to do.

The body is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I'm amazed at how quickly my body is becoming accustomed to this. I was mostly worried about my lungs and heart-rate, but my cardiovascular system seems to be adapting beautifully. It's my mind that seems to be having the challenge. Oh, and my ankles. They don't hurt, but they feel kind of stiff when I run. It's hard to explain. I probably need to go to a running store and get fitted.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #55  
I'm listening...

Welcome Mette! It's so much easier to try something when there are others trying it for the first time too! Stick around, just starting is an awesome thing to do for yourself.

Windchime, I was wondering the same thing about my shoes. I think they're too big. Some of my shoes have become too big for me with the weight loss, which is good, but my shoes are pretty new. Also, I've been fighting with blisters. They've gotten better since I bought some moisture wicking socks, but I also have the beginnings of a bunion on my right foot (which I've had for about 5 years). I sometimes wonder it my running career may be a limited engagement. But I have no plans to stop now. Tonight is 2x of 8 minutes jogging. I think we can, I think we can...

Last edited by losermom; 06-01-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #56  
I'm listening...

Default I'm a machine

8 minutes--piece of cake! I hope the 20 minutes goes as well.

I think that I've solved my shoe issues. I found a pair of Odor Eaters that I had purchased (still in the package) and trimmed and inserted them in my shoes. Night and day! Maybe my feet were bigger when I bought them? I was about 25 lbs heavier I think. Anyway, they feel much better now. I realize that this is probably not a permanent solution. DH and are planning a trip to Minneapolis-St. Paul after our vacation to have us properly fitted for new shoes. A treat for ourselves!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #57  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

My second day of week 1 and my biggest struggle was to get out of bed when the alarm went off. The run itself went very well once I got outside. And I felt really good after.

Windchime, I have mostly worried that it would be too hard to run being this heavy. I'm prepared for having to repeat some of the weeks and use longer than the original plan - but I don't know if this is mostly a mental issue for me or not. I guess I will have to see.

I just got new shoes too - and I went to a running store and got fitted for them. But as always, I get blisters from new shoes, I totally know what you mean, Losermom. I'm also impressed by your 8 minutes run!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #58  
I'm listening...

Mette, your shoes look like serious shoes! Congrats! As far as how fast you do the program, I decided that I would just take one day at a time. It's gotten much better with each passing week and it will for you too. DH & I agreed that we're totally ok with repeating a week or two. We're not young and we're not in the best of shape. We take each workout as it comes. It's not a race (at least it's not for us), it's a journey.

Blisters! Mine were on the bottom of my toes. Make sure you take care with yours.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #59  

losermom: I did W5D2 tonight and you're right, the 8 minutes were a piece of cake. I actually thought they were easier than the three 5-minute runs of a couple nights ago. It helped that it was about 20 degrees cooler tonight also.

Mette: I'm envious of your shoes! They look like real runner's shoes, not shoes bought from the discount big-box store (like mine). I keep saying that I'm going to head to the Seattle area to get shoes; maybe I'll do that this weekend. I think I bought mine too small. They fit fine without socks, but with socks they are just too tight. I've been going without socks but then they start to rub.

So losermom--what are you thinking about the 20 minute run? Think you will be able to do it? My biggest challenge will be mental, I think. My body is adjusting to this WAY easier than my head is!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #60  
I'm listening...

Windchime, congrats on the 8 minute runs! Longer is easier. I don't know about the 20 minute run. I'll admit it, I'm scared. I'll check back in after we do it tonight or tomorrow morning. What kind of socks are you wearing? My moisture wicking socks are really thin, so thin that maybe that's why my shoes felt too big.