Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #31  
Breathe the pressure

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow68 View Post
hey, no need to stretch before. you could actually yourself then. because your muscles are cold. stretch afterwards. maybe check runnersworld.com for stretch suggestions.

do you wear the right shoes? that could also be a problem? did you go to get fitted for them?

and don't worry about not getting through all the intervals. i wasn't able to push through the first time. i walked 2 of them at a high speed. and then worked myself up to running all of them. i got stuck at week 1 for longer than a week but it is so OK to do the program at your own pace.

and keep going, girl!
Oh yes I totally forgot to add in the stretching part! I usually warm up first and then stretch, stretching while cold just doesn't work for me. I also found that the C25K program's 5 minute warm-up wasn't enough for me to get ready to run so now I warm up for at least 10 minutes and it helps me out a lot through the rest of the workout.
GypsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Well, I just finished W2D1 and it didn't kill me! Around the 18 minute I began to doubt that I could finish but by 20 minutes I felt better (hurray for endorpins!!) and did all of the running segments.

I can hardly believe it!
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #33  

Height: 5'11"

OK, I just got back from doing W3D3. It was really hot here today, in the 90's, but it had cooled off enough by 8 pm that I was able to do it. The track is 1/2 mile from my house, so I walked up there, did a LOT of stretching, and then did the podcast (including 5 more minutes of walking). I think the stretching really helped. Last time I had to stop in the middle of the first jog to stretch because I just felt so stiff and tight.

Velveteen, I actually thought of our conversation about the music and giggled during one part of the podcast. The music was really synthesized and techno-bop, and then this girl's sexy (?) European-accented voice comes on and says, "Your love is my love and my love is your loooooooove". Hahahaha, it made me laugh. It's hard to laugh when you're panting!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #34  

I did W4D1!!!

Oh yeah, who's your mama!?? Yeah, that's right--it's ME !!! I did NOT think that I was going to be able to do the 5 minute runs but I did! OK, I'm calling them "runs" because technically both feet were off the ground at the same time. There were times when I felt I was barely moving, but I wanted to be able to come back here and tell you guys with honesty that I did it. I am so suprised! CruiseCAT's advice was spot on; "Listen to your body". So when my brain started saying, "This is too hard, I'm too tired....let's walk just for a few seconds", I really listened and my body was saying, "Actually, I'm fine."

I am so suprised that I was able to do that. Seriously.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #35  

Windchime: BRAVO!! That is awesome!

I just did W2D2 today and was surprised enough that THAT one didnb't kill me. I was actually surprisingly far from dead so I was thrilled with that.

I am really liking the C25K app from itunes because if I glance at it, I can see how much longer the current segment (walk or run) is but it doesn't let me "look ahead" and psyche myself out before I get there, KWIM?

I am on a roll and almost sad that tomorrow is a day off. I did just get EA Active Sport for my Wii today though so I will give that a try tomorrow.

Keep at it everyone!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #36  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Wow, really impressive stuff going on here! Windchime too funny about the music! We are on the same schedule, I did W4D1 yesterday and was so amazed I did it!! Yeah baby!! I'm going to get proper sneaks as soon as I see my home scale hit the '80's (kg- I'm at exactly 90.0 as of this morning!!)- my shoes are ok, just old and I want to reward myself for doing this and reaching a weight milestone!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #37  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Windchime & Velveteen: We all rock! DH & I did w4d2 last night.

I've found that the longer we do this the less wiped out I am afterwards. During the last 3 weeks I would be exhausted and sore afterwards. I purposely wanted to walk/run in the evening so that I would take a hot bath and go to bed to recover. Even though the 5 minute intervals are challenging, they are doable.

Blue Fairy: Maybe you are trying to run too fast? That was my mistake in the beginning. In fact I had convinced myself that I would not be able to run ever! It wasn't until I retried the program with DH (a former runner) that I realized that I wasn't jogging or running--I was trying to sprint!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #38  

losermom: You make a really good point about pacing. I was trying to go too fast in earlier weeks and then I could barely make it through to the end. In fact, in last night's Podcast, he mentions before the first run, "Take it easy. You've got lots of running to do." So I started out my first run a lot slower and easier and I think it made a difference.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #39  

Well I have officially finished week two! Hurray!

Today's run was hard...probably because I bought the EA Active Sports game for the Wii and my glutes and calves were sore from yesterdays workout before I even started my run today.

But I did it anyway...no cheats! I am so proud of myself

Friday...Week Three begins. I haven't "looked ahead" to see what the actually means and I think it may be better that way. I don't want to psyche myself out before it even starts.

Keep going everyone!!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #40  

Anybody still out there?

I just did W3D1. Yahoo!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #41  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm still here! DH & I are starting w5d1 tonight or tomorrow morning depending on our schedule. All I know about w5 is that each day is different. I hope that I don't get confused because all 3 days are on the same podcast. I check in after we give it a try.

I really think that the 3 minute runs in w4 were harder than the 5 minute runs. Has anyone else noticed that? It's like my body doesn't hit a stride until after 3-4 minutes. Until then, I feel like I'm fighting with my body to get going.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #42  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

I'm still here too! I'm so impressed with you guys!

I have a dodgy foot (I have for a while now... I know, I know, I should go to the doctor!!) and I hurt it yesterday - I think I just did TOO much walking (I walked at lunch with my walking buddy/colleague and then I walked to my bellydancing class - my foot already hurt then, but I stayed on it the whole hour Anyway, I skipped W4D3 today, so either I try tomorrow, or I re-do it next week...

good news is - I reached my personal mini home-scale goal of getting under 90KG this week and my reward is new sneaks so I'm going to go shoe shopping tomorrow with my step-daughter
Old 05-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #43  

momof5k: Good job on starting W3! That was a big jump to me so congrats to you for getting through that!

losermom: I wonder how the Week 5 is done with all the different intervals for each day? I saw that on the plan but it didn't occur to me that there was only one podcast! Hmmmmm. Lemme know how that works.

Velveteen: I'm sorry about your foot! Take it easy and rest; there should be no harm in doing your last day of W4 next week.

I'm scheduled to do W4D3 tonigh, but it was over 90 degrees here today--whew! I will wait till 8 pm and see if it cools down somewhat; it's been cooling off nicely at night so hopefully that'll be the case tonight.

Good job, everyone! We're kicking butt and taking names later on this thing!
Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #44  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

foot felt better this morning so we DID it!! W4D3 complete! It was HARD though, we both (my DH and I) really had to push through. On one of the walking intervals we both kind of looked at each other like "are we going to make it???" I said to him "it's hard, but quitting is not an option, I just want to finish it!" and he agreed!

So, Week 4 is done, Week 5 starts Monday and we have a holiday so at least we don't have to figure it out at 5am (our usual time). It was hot here too already Windchime, at least IMHO @ 10am... 20 c / 70 F! (I'm not used to heat anymore - and I'm from New Mexico originally - to me it was HOT! )
Old 05-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
So, Week 4 is done, Week 5 starts Monday and we have a holiday so at least we don't have to figure it out at 5am (our usual time). It was hot here too already Windchime, at least IMHO @ 10am... 20 c / 70 F! (I'm not used to heat anymore - and I'm from New Mexico originally - to me it was HOT! )
Good job, Renee! (Sorry, I don't know how to make the accent thingie). Monday will be my day for W5D1 unless I decide to do it Sunday night. Not likely since my sister will be spending the weekend with me.

People have a misconception that it's always cool and rainy in Washington, but that's only for the west side of the state. Even people who live in Western WA think that! It gets really cold and snowy here in the winter, and the summers are HOT. It was 90 yesterday. I love it when it's hot, but it does make running difficult. As soon as the sun went down, it dropped to 80 so I went then.

Did you buy your new running shoes yet?