Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #151  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Jinger! Yes, I took a long time to accept my diagnosis too but we do what we have to do. Carb cutting is difficult at first. Just be sure that the carbs you DO eat are good ones, but I'm sure you already know that.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #152  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Jingerbird! Welcome aboard!

It was only 3 months ago when I went through carb detox. Same as you, I had headaches. Those days were fuzzy during withdrawal, but the withdrawal ended quickly enough. Hang in there! Indeed, you will be feeling better very soon.

WOW! I just noticed you have already lost 100 lbs! You have come a long way already! Congratulations to you for your fantastic progress in this journey.

Last edited by Floriduh; 08-18-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: new info
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!

fbs at 82 this morning. I had a low cal/carb supper last night but I realized that the bottle of metformin that I keep in my purse was empty. I took it at bedtime with a carton of greek yogurt and I was ok. Interesting, because without taking the 6pm dose, my fbs was at 81 at 10pm.

Hi Jinger! Welcome Congrats on losing 100 pounds. Wow. That is terrific. When you have time, tell us a little more about you.

Ruth, the supper doesn't sound too terribly bad, even with the cheesecake treat. I hope the dr has answers for you.

Trish, don't worry about not getting personals done. Just glad to know that you are hanging out with us.

Cajun, you are doing really well. Good for you!

Floriduh, I still envy you the fruit. I can almost taste those peaches... Yum

To all others. Have a great thursday!

Rie
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Yes, Rie, I have talked to him about the lows and he thinks I should be eating more carbs. He also told me I could cut the gliburide (glipizde?) if I wanted. Doctor Bob thinks I should do that but keeps reminding me that he's not my primary physician.

Carol, I think you and I have a lot in common. Keep posting and I'll smack your butt for you if you reciprocate!

Ruth, consider yourself smacked! LOL

Carol
Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

Its 6 years ago when I lost most of the weight and I have managed to keep it off. The Dr's think that is why I now have diabetes, I only got it after I lost the weight.
Its far more difficult to lose now though. Everytime I go to the Dr's, they stick another pill on top of what I am taking. I decided 2 weeks ago enough was enough. The pills make me put on weight and they didn't have significant impact on glucose levels. I have stopped taking them all now except for Metformin. Like I said earlier, b.s have started to drop already.
Thanx for all your kind welcomes. I hope to achieve along with you. Together we are stronger and more informed!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #156  
Come on Spring!

We get too soon old and too late smart! Despite all my arguments, I did really hurt my leg.

The doc suspected an undislocated break and sent me to the hospital for an X-ray. The technician looked at the results and said "No wonder it hurts!" The doc gets the official word this afternoon from the lab but probably will recommend rest, elevation and massage, I'm sure. I had a broken arm (same type of break but the results got buggered up somehow) and survived moving into a new condo without dying so I'm sure I can handle this for the next four weeks.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Jinger Glad to have you with us and glad your numbers are coming down. Great job losing 100 lbs.

Ruthie You are so cute. You gave me a real laugh with the undies Glad you finally get help for your leg and hope it heals nicely.

Rie Thanks. Hope you are feeling a lot better.

DH has surgery to remove the place on his ear on the 29th. Doc said that he wanted to have it tested. Since Tony doesn't have any other places he doesn't expect it to be a recurring thing but wants to be sure.

It has been a long and busy day and my eating has probably been too carby so not sure about tomorrows reading. Will have to see.

Just noticed it is after midnight so I'm going to bed. Catch y'all later.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #158  
Come on Spring!

I know it's mental but my leg hurts more now that I know it's broken! Silly brain!

BGL 4.7 this morning. I had sausage and peppers in a a bun followed by too many cherries for dinner and expected it higher. I do have several healthier meal options in the freezer now and am going to focus on eating for healing rather than weightloss because I really want to get back to the gym in September.

(I'm not sure how the weekend food will go - I have dinner down at the Lake with the Pypers tonight and a gourmet dinner at the Mill tomorrow but will do my best. Breakfast and lunch are still fully under my control.)

No "undies" this morning!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #159  

I can't believe August is half over already. This summer really flew by!

DH and I eat out a lot because we don't like the same foods. I used to just make and eat what he liked but I got tired of that, so it makes it easier for us to pick what we want off a menu. He is a meat and potatoes guy, preferring steak, roast beef, fried potatoes etc. I rarely eat beef. For some reason, after a recent surgery I can hardly stand the taste of it. I prefer fish and chicken, baked or grilled. Or I get a grilled chicken salad. I am also learning to eyeball the portions and get a take-out box for leftovers. It's nice to have them for lunch the next day. My biggest downfall is bread/rolls. I know I should leave them, but it's a battle every time.

Carol
Old 08-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #160  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ruth, I am so glad you finally went to the doc about your leg. hope you feel better soon.
I am hoping to get into the chiropractor today, having lots of headaches, so I hope an adjustment will help. DOn't want to take too much tylenol. (allergic to aspirin and advil and the like) .
Happy Friday everyone
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #161  

Happy Friday!

fbs at 83 this morning. It seems to be my consistent morning reading. In fact, I have been in the mid 80's for days. I still can't work out because of my back. Yesterday I went to a chiropracter for the first time. I didn't feel better last night but I hope that it helps me to feel better.

Fatmad, I hope that the adjustment causes you to feel better

Ruth, So sorry about your leg and hoping for a fast recovery. I am glad that you are planning to eat well for your recovery. Did they put you in a boot or walking cast?

Carol, I hear you on the bread and rolls trouble. They make their own dinner rolls where I work and the smell just makes me crazy. I want them so bad. Actually, I could have a single roll but it makes me so hungry to eat them.

Trish, hoping for good news for you dh. It sounds like you are managing the food choices really well.

Jinger, glad to hear a little more about your story. I must admit that I have never heard of anyone getting diabetes from losing a lot of weight.

Yesterday a friend told me that her husband's diabetes educator set up an eating plan for him that recommended 65 carbs per meal and 25 carbs for snacks. I couldn't believe it. Granted, he is about 6'4" and about 300 pounds. But wow, that is a lot of carbs. The guy is on insulin and januvia. I didn't say much but I was pretty amazed.

Have a great Friday. TTL

Rie
Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #162  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Happy Friday!
Yesterday a friend told me that her husband's diabetes educator set up an eating plan for him that recommended 65 carbs per meal and 25 carbs for snacks. I couldn't believe it. Granted, he is about 6'4" and about 300 pounds. But wow, that is a lot of carbs. The guy is on insulin and januvia. I didn't say much but I was pretty amazed.

Have a great Friday. TTL

Rie
Yes, that is a lot of carbs! Too many for me! I can barely eat any carbs without spiking my glucose, except for vegetables. Sometimes I think that when you are on insulin you just adjust your insulin to accomodate, but I really don't know anything about insulin, so please don't anyone jump me for saying that if I'm wrong!

Carol
Old 08-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just a quick flyby. Those of you who are feeling bad, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Busy weekend ahead. Church ladies monthly meeting and brunch is tomorrow. It is a tea party. Hope to get back to small groups Sunday night.

Just wanted to drop by and say I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

I have also never heard of anyone getting diabetes from losing weight. Not sure the English medical profession are as clued up as American dr's. I was also told to stop eating fruit because it would make me put on weight. What and a Mars bar will make me skinny. I don't pay too much attention to them but plan my own route through life instead. Thanx for all your welcomes. At last people I can be honest with!
Hope you all have a great weekend, the weather here is terrible. Looks like I will need to find something in doors to occupy me X

Last edited by JingerBird; 08-19-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #165  

Just a quick post:

Today I met up with a friend who has moved away. He was in town for a couple days. We went to our favorite asian restaurant. I had fresh shrimp and vegetable rolls in rice paper, and bulgogi (Korean barbque) beef. I only ate a tiny portion of the rice. My blood sugar hardly raised at all.

Sometimes it is really nice to realize that I can handle my "responsiblities" in a restaurant setting. A year ago, I would have been in a panic. Just wanted to share that it gets easier.

Have a really good evening

Rie
Closed Thread