The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #391  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I don't think Ken did anything to apologize for...he's there to lose weight and he lost weight. If he'd thrown the weigh in, everyone would be yelling about his compromised principles. I say good job, Ken, for sticking to your own personal plan to lose. Like Allison said...Kaylee can leave anytime and didn't need to try to take anyone else down with her.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #392  
Token Vulcan

And the thing with Ken also is that he needed to protect himself. Kaylee may have wanted to go home but there was no guarantee the others would have voted her off. Someone may have given her one of those famous "you need to be here" speeches and gotten people to vote Ken or Austin. Or....the plan may have gone south another way and Kaylee could have ended up biggest loser of the group (the way Marci did), thereby forcing a vote between Ken or his son. Ken didn't deserve to feel bad because he pulled the biggest number...we haven't even seen him deal with his emotional stuff yet. I just didn't like how it played out. Brett (or whoever said it) was right that whenever they try to play the game it bites them big time.

Something's going awry this season, though. These big dudes are having a lot of mediocre weeks with their weight-loss. Granted, it's a more normal weight-loss process but, for the show, these people would normally still be managing better numbers.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 03-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #393  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I had a thought while watching the show (rare for me, I know...).

When they made the big reveal that the groups would be split into four teams, my first emotion was "not again!" But then the thinking started...

As was said on the show, the contestants get comfortable with their situations, their teams and their trainers, and they hate being thrust into a new situation.

But that's life. In life their jobs will get busy, their families will require more or less time, and their paths will not be easy or stable. I'm sure the twists are more for "watchability" rather than any real mental/physical purpose, but perhaps the producers accidentally hit on something helpful, as well, with all these twists and changes.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #394  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I don't think Ken did anything to apologize for...he's there to lose weight and he lost weight. If he'd thrown the weigh in, everyone would be yelling about his compromised principles. I say good job, Ken, for sticking to your own personal plan to lose. Like Allison said...Kaylee can leave anytime and didn't need to try to take anyone else down with her.
I totallly agree. He is there to lose weight and shouldn't have to half-a** it for other people if they want to leave.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #395  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

Seriously...if I could have reached through the screen and slapped Kaylee...I totally would have.

All that, "I make my own decisions now...I'm ready to go home" blah blah blah drama...then just go home. Say hey...I'm out. dont screw with other people's progress, it isn't right. And she's only hurting herself. She gained last week, lost nothing this week...not because she's having a hard time but because she's a big friggin baby and wants to go home. I'm sorry...but if you're not at goal...you shouldn't WANT to go home like that.

I'm sad to see Justin go...but so happy that Courtney is still there. Love her.

I totally want to train with Bob. Love him.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #396  

Height: 5'5

loved Alison's response to her and the new trainers *****ing about thier game playing and what it has gotten them.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #397  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I thought it was hypocritical of Courtney to bag on Kaylee when Marci had been doing the same "game play" for weeks on end...

Don't get me wrong, I think Kaylee has issues and should not have done what she did. I could tell Cara was pissed. She should have ripped into her, I don't know why she held back.

Did you all see the clips for next weeks' show? What food item was Rulon sneaking? Was it chips? This got my hubby and I wondering how hard it is to sneak food into the ranch. It seems all their food is provided, but it is all healthy, right? So they would have to bring in the contraband, right? Does anyone know how it works?

Yeah, I would love to take Bob's class. He is awesome.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #398  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmel3283 View Post
Seriously...if I could have reached through the screen and slapped Kaylee...I totally would have.
I agree w/ you on that one. OMG it would have been gr8 2 go 2 Jillian's beach house and wrkout w/ her. Cara should have ripped in2 Kaylee what the heck. Yep nxt wk is crazy Rulon wat r u doin? Hello did u 4get there r cameras. I just don't get it Jillian didn't seem happy bout it either. He is just sabotagin himself. Go home if you don't wanna stick w/ it through til the end.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #399  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
Quote:
All that, "I make my own decisions now...I'm ready to go home" blah blah blah drama...then just go home. Say hey...I'm out. dont screw with other people's progress, it isn't right. And she's only hurting herself. She gained last week, lost nothing this week...not because she's having a hard time but because she's a big friggin baby and wants to go home. I'm sorry...but if you're not at goal...you shouldn't WANT to go home like that.

And I completely disagree.
It would not have cost Ken anything to waterlog a bit so that Kaylee got what she wanted and got eliminated. Personally, I don't think she should have wanted to go home that badly (and at 174 lbs or something like that, she still can lose a fair bit, she is not that tall) - but hey, she is entitled to her own feelings.
And yes, she could have left any time, especially as Ali reiterated that nobody is a prisoner there and anybody can leave at any time - but had she left that would have meant there still would have been an elimination that night and somebody, and maybe it would have been somebody who desperately did not want to leave, would be sent home.

I am not really in favour of all those tricks to bring one's weight up or down, but c'mon - it has been going on since TBL started, and in this case, since Kaylee was not trying to gang up against anybody else and was asking for her own elimination, why not grant her her wish?
At the elimination, everybody was bending over backwards to RESPECT Justin's wishes - so why not Kaylee's? Because she is a small timid girl who has issues standing up for herself versus a big-mouthed guy? That's not very fair either!!!

I am not her biggest fan but honestly, I don't see why they could not send her home when she so wanted to go. Yes, there was always a small chance that things would not have worked out as planned, but I really think that possibility was very small. Personally, I truly hope that Ken will be sent home next week despite his wishes.
I am not really interested in his own emotional awaking. As far as I am concerned, that man has the emotional potential of a flea (and since the apple does not fall far from the tree, Austin comes very close).
I think Ken should be ashamed of himself .... not for losing weight, but for not respecting Kaylee's wish.

Last edited by Tomato; 03-23-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #400  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

my thoughts on kaylee. She lost alot and compaired to most on the ranch she is very skinny. In her mind. I don't think she realizes what the real world still has in store for her when she leaves. My guess is it isn't as rosey as she thinks it will be. She is just seeing kife at the ranch not in the real world.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #401  

S/C/G: 156/119/115

Height: 5'2"

I have always been the kind of person to take my own destiny into my own hands. That being said, I would have never fallen on the sword for anybody. I think Ken has nothing to feel bad about. He is there to LOSE WEIGHT....period. Kaylee had no right to ask her team members to throw the weight loss. Like Allison said, she can leave whenever she wants. It's not a prison...so if she REALLY wanted to leave, all she had to do was walk out the door. She shouldn't have tried to compromise the safety of her team members or sabatoged their weight loss efforts. That is just being selfish and childish. She has much to learn and also has a lot of growing up to do, IMO.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #402  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
And I completely disagree.
It would not have cost Ken anything to waterlog a bit so that Kaylee got what she wanted and got eliminated. Personally, I don't think she should have wanted to go home that badly (and at 174 lbs or something like that, she still can lose a fair bit, she is not that tall) - but hey, she is entitled to her own feelings.
And yes, she could have left any time, especially as Ali reiterated that nobody is a prisoner there and anybody can leave at any time - but had she left that would have meant there still would have been an elimination that night and somebody, and maybe it would have been somebody who desperately did not want to leave, would be sent home.

I am not really in favour of all those tricks to bring one's weight up or down, but c'mon - it has been going on since TBL started, and in this case, since Kaylee was not trying to gang up against anybody else and was asking for her own elimination, why not grant her her wish?
At the elimination, everybody was bending over backwards to RESPECT Justin's wishes - so why not Kaylee's? Because she is a small timid girl who has issues standing up for herself versus a big-mouthed guy? That's not very fair either!!!

I am not her biggest fan but honestly, I don't see why they could not send her home when she so wanted to go. Yes, there was always a small chance that things would not have worked out as planned, but I really think that possibility was very small. Personally, I truly hope that Ken will be sent home next week despite his wishes.
I am not really interested in his own emotional awaking. As far as I am concerned, that man has the emotional potential of a flea (and since the apple does not fall far from the tree, Austin comes very close).
I think Ken should be ashamed of himself .... not for losing weight, but for not respecting Kaylee's wish.
I disagree. I don't have that big a problem with people game playing but I don't think anyone should be obligated to do it either. From a team perspective it would have been a stupid thing to do anyway. Imagine they threw this wieghin and then next week actually lost it. This way they can still send Kayley home and the two people who want to stay will be safe.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #403  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

It's one thing to vote someone off once their up for elimination and follow their wishes...it's entirely another to ask someone to throw their weight loss on a weight loss program because you want to go home.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #404  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Quote:
It's one thing to vote someone off once their up for elimination and follow their wishes...it's entirely another to ask someone to throw their weight loss on a weight loss program because you want to go home.
He did not need to throw anything ... he could have waterlogged a little so that the greens would be up for elimination. Since Kaylee wanted out, chances were very high that she would be sent home.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #405  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
He did not need to throw anything ... he could have waterlogged a little so that the greens would be up for elimination. Since Kaylee wanted out, chances were very high that she would be sent home.
that would be acting against his own self interests. What happens when they legitimately lose a weigh in? then he is up for elimination because kaylee is gone