The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #286  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I'm also not a fan of Brett or Cara...probably won't watch if one of them sticks around. Definitely won't if both of them stick around for coming seasons.

I don't know if TBL will survive without Jillian. They tried it without her once and it didn't work.

Ditto. Season 3 was garbage with out her.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #287  

Height: 5'5

maybe survivor should do couples lol
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #288  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I've finally caught up on all the episodes this season, it took forever. Ok here are my comments:

I can't stand Hannah/Olivia (former purple team). I think it's hannah that's the one that's always complaining and seems to have a huge chip on her shoulder. Ugh, I so wish Arther would've traded them for Moses and his daughter.

I keep going back and for on Rulon. I was an athlete in college so I totally get his attitude at time. My main concern was that he was losing because he loves competition and not because he's changing his life. I've been there when you stop competing and working out and it's just so easy to eat instead. Competition is like a drug and once you quit, food is just waiting for you there. I was actually really glad to see Cara talk to him and I hope he figures out something that he wants to do with his life because I get the impression he really needs a direction. FWIW, I can't stand his partner, though, ugh!

I know a lot of you are complaining about the red team but I really like Moses and his daughter. They remind me a lot of Courtney and her mom because they just seems to work and work without complaining or giving up. I LOVE seeing that on the biggest loser. Reminds me of Ada too like others mentioned. I don't think Moses's daughter will be around much longer since she just doesn't have much to loose but I hope he can continue for awhile!

Arther reminds me so much of Michael at the beginning it's not funny. I remember Michael's team being so annoyed at him for not taking things seriously. I'm hoping Arther hits a turning point where he really gets his head on straight. I have to admit, I don't think he's really the brightest guy out there too. That move where he TOLD everyone about the switch. I just felt bad for the guy because it's like he genuinely couldn't think things through.

My heart really goes out to Sarah. Losing all those pregnancies couldn't be easy and I hope that she keeps the weight off and is able to get a baby that sticks!!!!

The last few candidates who went hope don't look like they've lost much weight? I was so sad to see that Jay had barely lost any, especially since he was such a strong player on the ranch. Jesse also didn't look like he'd lost very much either, which surprised me too because he really seemed like he was getting strong and stronger. Is it just because there was not much time between when they left the ranch and when that was filmed? they never really specify the times...

ETA: I also wanted to add. I thought Jesse was entirely right for calling them out on making him go home!!!!! Honestly, if my mom and I were there I would ask for her to stay. I KNOW I could do it at home (well, I already did a big chunk of my journey before getting pregnant) but my mom couldn't and won't. She hasn't been at a healthy weight since shortly after I was born whereas I was overweight thanks to not losing baby weight (and putting on way too much in my last pregnancy). Yeah, she's in part to blame for some of my eating habits but that's why she would need to be there more than me!

Last edited by runningfromfat; 02-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #289  

S/C/G: 214/170/145

Height: 5'4"

The problem I have with the parents throwing the weigh-in is that the parents are once again enabling their children and their bad habits. I really applaud Moses who exhibited a class act by helping his child and himself have a great week, what an inspiration to all.

We all know we got ourselves in the shape we are in and we are going to have to be responsible for our own health. I really like Courtney and I can't imagine that she would have wanted her mother to be a part of this. Oddly, Arthur is my least favorite contestant this year, but his father Jessie was one of my favorite.

I am not as negative towards the Red Team as most and I do think the reason is because of Moses and his daughter.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #290  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Not much to say, I basically agree with everything being said.

Throwing the weigh-in was ridiculous. They've proven time and again that they can do it, so why not just do it instead of throwing it away?

Jesse going off on the women...I loved it. That whole idea was oozing stupidity.

Something that frustrates me is the fact that the black team can't for the life of them just take a time out and create a gameplan to win a challenge. Seriously, they look like a big joke during challenges. If all else fails, see that what the red team is doing is working, and just do that! I know it's bad gameplay etiquette or whatever, but anything is better than whatever you're trying and failing miserably at doing.

The whole comment about the red team winning the weigh-in was straight-up DUMB. Like the black team didn't flat out say they threw the weigh-in, number one. Number two, the black team has consistently won weigh-ins by fairly large margins. And number three, the red team put up incredibly low numbers as compared to the past.

What should've been said was, "Man, we're lucky the black team obviously cares more about gameplay than actually losing weight and changing their lives!"

(I know that sounded mean, but boy am I frustrated with the entire thing!)
Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #291  

i think that they should have protected their parents. They are older and have more urgency to regain their health. I would want to keep my parents as healthy as possible. However I do admit that those moms are so close to goal they should have gone home.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #292  

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
maybe survivor should do couples lol
I would totally watch that!

I completely agree with jackie58 about Moses and Kaylee. They took a totally different approach this week, waking up early and working out extra hard to ensure that they both stayed. I know that both of them were concerned because Kaylee is nearing her goal. She's the smallest person there now and I am sure would have been at risk for taking a trip back home. Instead of accepting that as her fate she buckled down with her dad and worked extra hard. As a result she had a huge loss this week! Super kudos to Kaylee and Moses for doing it the way it should be done. I disagree with the Black Team throwing the weigh in to keep their kids on the ranch. Weight loss is an individual thing. You can get motivation and pep talks from others but in the end YOU have to be the one to make the decision to lose the weight. Sacrificing yourself for your kids isn't going to make them lose the weight. I hope the Black Team gets their heads on straight before tonight's episode.

As much as I like Courtney, I also hope that Moses and Kaylee get into the finals. I'd love to see either of them win it! Those thre3e seem to all be there fir the right reasons and have the right mindset to reach their goals.

I don't dislike Brett and Cara as so many others here seem to. They're young and cute and bringing a fresh perspective into the show. I do agree that they need to vary their workouts. Boxing and martial arts alone won't win this conpetition.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #293  

I think I've been watching this show too long. Most of them are starting too look awful skinny to me.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #294  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

I've had that thought, lol.

I look at some of the contestants and think, "Really? You couldn't lose that at home? You're practically thin compared to the rest of the contestants, ffs".
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #295  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Can't wait for Arthur to go home. I think Cara is ridiculous and I can't take her seriously AT ALL. DH laughs every time she comes on the screen. I think the trainer Britney on the show Heavy would have been a better choice than her.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #296  

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I have to say...kudos to Austin for not eating that delicious looking cake on his 21st birthday! Well done bud!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #297  

S/C/G: 335/313.6

Height: 5'4

awwww this week was rough...second week in a row that allison sweeny cried she is usually smiling when she says sorry but you aren't the biggest loser...i can't wait until the red team have to start voting off people of their precious alliance!! and way to go black team on rocking the weigh in!!! those girls are so little...and courtney isn't far behind them...which is amazing she has came so far!!! go indiana girls

ada should come back as a trainer. she is hardcore and just about everyone loved her
Old 03-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #298  

ugh. my pvr didn't tape it all.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #299  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I was not sad to see Arthur go. Given how much gameplay, throwing people under buses, and generally trickery he has done to ensure that he stays, I thought that it was RIDICULOUS to ask the red team to "ignore gameplay because he needs to be here". First, he has had as much time to learn from the trainers as anyone else, and he's setting himself up to be able to win the at-home because he has such a long way to go...it's not like it's week 1, where he really wouldn't have the tools...you lose some support, but it's not like that's an excuse to fall off track. B, in the same situation, he would vote out ANYONE, regardless of how much they needed to be there, if they threatened his ability to stay until the end.

Bottom line - I really think that, had he NOT burned so many bridges with the crappy gameplay, the red team might have kept him (at this point, he drops big numbers, and they're still doing team weigh-ins). But to ask them to keep him when he would sacrifice every single one of them (and probably most people from his own team as well) to save his own place in the final? Preposterous, no matter how many people cry.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 03-02-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #300  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I don't think Arthur had any chance at all. The red team had no intention of keeping him from the second he moved over to that side. That being said, I agree he should have learned enough by now to do well at home, and seems to be. Maybe he turned a corner.

I also can't wait for the red team to start voting out their "family" members. It'll be interesting. Unless they go to singles soon.

It was interesting how differently things went this week. Bob and Jillian's team rocked it at home, the red team....not so much. Sure they had some losses, but not like the black team. I think it comes down to conditioning and the "mental workout" the black team members get, that the red team members don't seem to have access to with their "trainers."