The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #256  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

With the oil thing, I'm guessing the ladies knew something we don't...like maybe Arthur smothers his food in oil when he cooks it? I know olive oil isn't bad, but honestly, if there's an even healthier solution, why not utilize it? Obviously it helped...I mean, 20 pounds down speaks volumes.

I, too, hate the red team and their pseudo-family bull. Their cockiness cracks me up because they always lose the weigh-ins, and by fairly sizeable margins! Not to mention once Jen gets sent home next week, which she undoubtedly will, they'll be turning on each other and "the family". Then we'll hear all sorts of sniveling, and the REAL game will be on.

I like that Kaylee chick a lot, but I think she needs to go home. She's almost to goal already, and there's an awful lot of show left.

Also, I see that Rulon is married, so I guess that means that Justin isn't his boyfriend/husband. :P
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #257  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
interesting though that the oil would have more calories than the fish
That depends on the fish. 6 ounces of salmon would have more calories then a tbsp of oil.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #258  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

Wink My New Crush

Okay, I totally admit that I know have a "thing" for Brett. I think tonights show highlighted him and his trainer talent. I'll spar with you Brett.

Courtney is awesome. Run girl run!

Okay, back to the show!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #259  
Token Vulcan

I was cheering Jesse when he stood up for himself earlier in the episode and I was annoyed when he caved in. The black team decided early on that they weren't going to win the weigh-in no matter what so suddenly everyone over 40 became sacrificial lambs. Rather than try to work for it, they planned out from the getgo who was going to be let go and all the "oldtimers" were expected to sacrifice themselves for the young ones. Jesse knew it and that's why he spoke out when he did. He was a marked man from the beginning of the week. And how dare that purple girl (I forget which is which, but I haven't liked how either of them have been presented since the first episode) get indignant and say that Jesse doesn't know what she's been through. Why should he have to care about her? Does she care what he's been through? Of course, Jesse was going to be sent home since all the women were getting all mommy/daughter vibes with one another and proclaiming all the girls felt like their daughters. I only wish Bob or Jillian had said something. I agree with Moses--they should have at least tried to win and not save themselves on the backs of their parents. This season must be setting a record for number of people throwing the weigh-in.

Maybe it's just me but Jen's crying last week was bugging me. For Pete's sake, your father went home, he wasn't diagnosed with a terminal illness. It just seemed a little too much.

When they do closeups on Kaylee, I notice just how much she looks like her father.

The giant volleyball challenge was fun to watch. Black team seems to have a hard time coordinating themselves in challenges. Broken down into singles or duos they do better than when they have to work as a group.

I'm hoping they go to singles soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #260  

Height: 5'5

I agree. They could have won that weighin. I thought it was funny when the other trainer was gloating about how they beat the black team. You didn't win it. They threw it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #261  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

You know what stood out for me in this week's episode? The fact that the black team really demonstrated what "FAMILY" is. The red team says it all the time, but they sure don't portray it. Yeah they could have won if they wanted to, but I was personally touched by what the parents did.

I am sure the black team will be showing some huge numbers next week.....
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #262  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I attended my Zumba class (there are only two Zumba classes that are 60 minutes each and that fit into my schedule) and I was not going to sacrify it, so I return when the big debate of the Blacks was on about how the parents should ensure the children stay in the game.

I was royally annoyed. It is not a tactic I support, and in this game, every man is an island. Too bad they are trying to bend the rules as they see fit.
I watch TBL mainly for the exercise, and so much time wasted on a silly debate irritates me. I didn't see the volleyball challenge and I didn't see what would have made Jesse a "marked man" (as trekkiegirl said). It was Olivia, the purple girl who said that Jesse didn't know what she was going through.
I never liked Jesse and Arthur that much so I really don't care that he got voted off. But Deni, OMG, how STUPID to gain 8 lbs! I am sure a lot of it is water, but still.

I felt for Jennifer (although her crying about her dad annoyed me, too) when she gained a pound. For all we know, she could have had TOM - I always wonder about how that can play havoc during the weigh ins - lucky guys don't have to worry about that.

When Rulon dropped below the red line, I was getting all excited because I was hoping it would "Bye bye, Rulon" this week. Duh. Major disappointment that he stayed.

I don't have any profound thoughts to share with you about yesterday's episode (or the part of that I actually saw), except for this one:
I think the folks training with Bob and Jillian are getting a much better workout. From what I saw (and again, I admit that I don;t always see a complete episode) it seems that Brett and Cara do mostly boxing. Not that it is a bad tool for weight loss, but a workout with weight is much better in general. Too much cardio leads to loss of lean body mass (that cannot be prevented) and Jillian and Bob's participants build muscle and basically, their workout is preparing them better for life after the ranch.

I still don't find Brett sexy - not my cuppa tea, so whoever wants him, rest assured I am not going to fight you! :-)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
I think the folks training with Bob and Jillian are getting a much better workout. From what I saw (and again, I admit that I don;t always see a complete episode) it seems that Brett and Cara do mostly boxing. Not that it is a bad tool for weight loss, but a workout with weight is much better in general. Too much cardio leads to loss of lean body mass (that cannot be prevented) and Jillian and Bob's participants build muscle and basically, their workout is preparing them better for life after the ranch.

I agree with this, 100%. In fact I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was watching the show and working out. Bob and Jillian mix up the workouts, do weight training, cardio, ellipticals, treadmills, boxing and all. In my (fairly uneducated) opinion, that's better overall in the long run.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #264  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I think the reason why they were so concerned is not because they COULDN'T do it...but because a lot of them are at a point where they don't have a lot to loose, so no matter how hard they work...they wont be pulling big numbers.

Jesse just irritates me...whether he was right or wrong...he bugs me.

I can't say I wouldn't do the same for my child...When you listen to Denny's reasoning...I applaud her.

And really...Brett...you didn't "win" anything...fyi. That annoyed me the most.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #265  

Height: 5'7"

I am getting kind of tired of the boxing... I don't particularly like watching people beat up on each other, for fitness or not. The way Bob and Jillian do it is more my style - they mix things up, they do a little boxing to put in some variety, but they don't focus on it. I hope if they do actually keep the 2 new trainers for next season, they start to mix things up so BL doesn't become Brett and Kara's Boxing Hour.

This whole 'adult saving the kids' thing this week gives me mixed feelings... I can't help but feel like this is the one time everybody needs to be SELFISH. Look out for yourselves, you have not done so for your 40+ years of life and look where it has gotten you. It seems very co-dependent to me. I love the black team in general but this week has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I really hope they go to singles soon because I'm now at a point I don't like either team.....
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #266  
focused and aiming

I agree wholeheartedly about the new trainers. I even wonder if Cara is a trainer or if she's just a boxer.

I had mixed feelings about the older black team members throwing themselve to the wolves. It looked to me like the younger ones used the knowledge of that to "load" some, too. It all looked like defeatist attitude to me. These people are supposed to be taking charge of their lives and having more faith in themselves. Last night looked like 2 steps back.

I applaud the Tonga father/daughter. They faced the same obstacle and took charge to save themselves.

As to Rulon--I really felt sorry for him having to face his old trainer. I'm glad he felt all right about it afterwards. That had to be difficult for him.

Even after all my griping about the black team today, they are still my favorites. I am even more pro-Arthur now. He seems to have his mind on doing well better than before.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #267  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I usually attribute the parents falling on the sword to keep their kids in the game to guilt. I'm sure these parents look at their obese adult children and put a lot of the blame on themselves for why their kids are the size they are.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #268  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
I usually attribute the parents falling on the sword to keep their kids in the game to guilt. I'm sure these parents look at their obese adult children and put a lot of the blame on themselves for why their kids are the size they are.
That is how I feel as well. I do like the Black team much better than the Red team tho and would have been glad to see Rulon go home.

Last edited by Torister; 02-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #269  
focused and aiming

You're probably right about the parents' feeling guilty. I think what bothered me most was that the team didn't fight to win this week. I guess they were looking ahead to next week. I hope they have big losses.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #270  

Height: 5'5

thing is their weight loading cost the team a member. Not to the red line but to a vote. If they had taken the route of the tonga team they could have won the weighin and lost no one. They over focused on the red line.