The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #346  

Height: 5'5

how come no one mentioned the obvious last night that lots of those girls didn't lose much because they don't have much less to lose?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #347  

Height: 5'7"

The new male trainer guy irritated the crap out of me when he was trying to do the emotional work stuff with Moses' daughter (forget her name). He was yelling at her! At least Bob and Jillian try to be gentle about the psychological stuff....... Geez.

Very sad to see Sarah go home. She was sweet. Much would have prefered one of the purple sisters gone. And she wanted to be on the black team so badly... It's a shame that it always comes down to "who's been here longest." I look forward to when they dissolve the two separate teams.

As for losing less/having less to lose - that's why they go by percentage of weight lost. a 200 lb man can lose 1% by losing 2 lb, but a 120 lb woman only has to lose 1.2lb to lose 1%. That's why the weigh-ins never go by actual number of pounds lost, always percentage.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #348  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torister View Post
What was up with Cara getting up into everyone's face and screaming? Especially with Justin. I turned to my husband and commented, I swear they are *this* close to a lip lock. Eeew!!
My thinking exactly. I thought EEEEW (Big time!!!). I don't mind the screaming per se, often people complain about Jillian screaming at people, that's fine by me, but personally, I would prefer a bit of a buffer. I really don't need anybody that close to have his saliva and sweat on my face.

Marci looked very good at the weigh in. I think she is pretty much at the end of her journey.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #349  

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluvion View Post
The new male trainer guy irritated the crap out of me when he was trying to do the emotional work stuff with Moses' daughter (forget her name). He was yelling at her! At least Bob and Jillian try to be gentle about the psychological stuff....... Geez.

Very sad to see Sarah go home. She was sweet. Much would have prefered one of the purple sisters gone. And she wanted to be on the black team so badly... It's a shame that it always comes down to "who's been here longest." I look forward to when they dissolve the two separate teams.

As for losing less/having less to lose - that's why they go by percentage of weight lost. a 200 lb man can lose 1% by losing 2 lb, but a 120 lb woman only has to lose 1.2lb to lose 1%. That's why the weigh-ins never go by actual number of pounds lost, always percentage.
but still, the lower you are the harder it is to lose anything.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #350  

Quote:
At least Bob and Jillian try to be gentle about the psychological stuff.
Except when they don't. Like Bob with that Black girl a few seasons ago. That's when I stopped watching--it was like seeing schoolyard bullying.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #351  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Except when they don't. Like Bob with that Black girl a few seasons ago. That's when I stopped watching--it was like seeing schoolyard bullying.
I was horrified when Jillian asked a woman whose entire family had died in a car crash why she hadn't killed herself.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #352  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
My thinking exactly. I thought EEEEW (Big time!!!). I don't mind the screaming per se, often people complain about Jillian screaming at people, that's fine by me, but personally, I would prefer a bit of a buffer. I really don't need anybody that close to have his saliva and sweat on my face.

Marci looked very good at the weigh in. I think she is pretty much at the end of her journey.
No kidding! Hello....you are invading my personal space...take a step BACK!!

Marci looks FAB! Jillian said something like she is quite a specimen...and I took that as a compliment for sure!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #353  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

I feel like Cara is acting for the camera. It's like the producers told her she had to do this emotional "talk" and she isn't used to it and is so uncomfortable with it. And YES...EEEEWWWWWWW!! When she was in Justin's face. My daugter was watching with me and she was creeped out, and she is only 11. lol.

I like Moses, but is anyone else tired of seeing him air-boxing?

As far as the working out and the different styles (B&J vesus new trainers) I think the producers are skewing our view. These people are working out for at least 6hrs a day. They are showing us what they want us to see.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #354  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torister View Post
I was glad that the girls got their act together and won a challenge. Too bad it wasn't one that gave them immunity, but hey 6 grand is a nice surprise.

What was up with Cara getting up into everyone's face and screaming? Especially with Justin. I turned to my husband and commented, I swear they are *this* close to a lip lock. Eeew!!

Looks like Sarah is doing fine at home. Sure will be interesting to see who will be around at the end of this!
SERIOUSLY! YUCK! It really looked like a scene in a movie where the two characters fight and then make-out!

Ok, and I seriously agree about sending one of the purple team members home. I just can't stand them. Or maybe just send them off with Justin and Roulon to some island so I don't have to see them ever again.

BTW, how much did Sarah lose when she got home? She didn't look very different to me from when she left.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #355  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Sarah was 190 at the last weigh in. At the update she was at 169lbs. For a total of 92lbs all together.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #356  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs girl View Post
Sarah was 190 at the last weigh in. At the update she was at 169lbs. For a total of 92lbs all together.
Oh ok, so she has been doing well then! It's hard to tell sometimes with the difference in outfits. Good for her!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #357  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I really do love Marcy- she's very inspirational with her hard work and weight loss. However, I am really tired of the "Mommy" crap. Enough. You came on this show to help your daughter and yourself to get healthy and fit. Giving your spot up to someone who may not be as dedicated and deserving as yourself is foolish to me. Not to mention, it is teaching her daughter, in my opinion, to put others first instead of yourself when it comes to health and fitness. This is not a good example that she is setting for Courtney- Courtney needs to learn to fight hard for what she wants in terms of her health. Stepping aside so that someone else who may not be as deserving or caring about their health is not a good thing.

I do hope that she goes home next week to satisfy her wish....... and to make the show a bit more interesting. Every week now it is the "Marcy is a great Mommy" and "Who can scream the loudest during workouts, Cara or Brett?" show. It's becoming a snoozefest with "Marcy the loving Mommy hero" as the star. I agree with Moses- instead of giving the kids a spot on the ranch, teach them to fight for it like he did with Kaylee! That is real life, unfortunately, and I truly believe that he taught his daughter a much more valuable lesson that week than Marcy is by being on call to abandon ship to save the precious and fragile children on her team.....

I'm probably sounding mean spirited for saying the above, but I truly believe in my heart that Marcy is not helping these girls, but enabling them to not work harder than they should be. She lost five pounds this week, while others dropped one or two. I realize that hormones and other factors will cause a small weight loss on some weeks, but there are a couple of girls on the black team that seem satisfied with just getting by. If they're not working hard or to their potential, they should go home, not someone who truly wants to be there and is successful at it.

Sorry if I sound cruel, but it just irks me when mothers do this. It does not teach your kids or other kids anything other than to step aside like a marshmallow while everyone else gets what you deserve in life. While I would not step on anyone's toes or hurt anyone intentionally to get what I want out of life, I don't feel guilty for earning what I deserve and keeping it. Kids have to learn to earn what they want, too, and go after it. I fear for Courtney's future- if Marcy keeps stepping aside like this for her and her friends, well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree if you know what I mean.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #358  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I think Marcy just wants to go home, and the protective mom thing is her out. It's easier and safer and more accepted to leave "to help" than it is "to quit."
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #359  
focused and aiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I think Marcy just wants to go home, and the protective mom thing is her out. It's easier and safer and more accepted to leave "to help" than it is "to quit."
I agree.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #360  
June

Steelslady- I agree with a lot that you said. The one thing that is worth mentioning is that Marci is already at a healthy BMI so she might already be happy with where sheīs at.

But I agree, I couldnīt stand the idea that they sacrifice the parents and the underlying lesson that it teaches the kids. Jesse, for instance, still had a lot to lose and couldīve benefited from being there longer...

Personally, Iīd love to see Hannah or Olivia go home, though. I just canīt stand their whinning anymore! They just seem to be looking for reasons to be angry.