The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #106  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
By the way, how did you ladies feel when Jillian started playing shrink in one of the previous episodes and told Elizabeth that her asthma is all in her head. Did anybody buy it???
Honestly, that made me almost want to throw up. Jillian should stick to training. She's not a freaking doctor and has no idea how it feels to have an asthma attack and not be able to breathe. My best friend growing up had exercise induced asthma and had to be very careful about how she got her exercise and always had an inhaler in arms reach in PE class, etc. She was in great shape, but she had to be careful. And Elizabeth looked and sounded just like she did when she had an asthma attack. So. Jillian needs to STFU about it.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #107  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Now that I've seen the bulk of it on hulu, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I'm sick of Ada's attitude. Everyone loses at different rates. And the day she posts a 3 or 5 lb loss and someone starts wondering about her ability, I'll be sitting here thinking, well, that karma, it's a witch.

I'm sad Rick went home. He's such a sweet guy.

I never cared for Brenden. I dislike him even more. He can swear on anyone's life or grave he wants, but I'm not buying his "I didn't throw the weigh in" baloney. He can't get picked off soon enough. I hope Ada doesn't fall in with the boys' alliance.

In fact, the only way to be safe, I hope the blue team takes it all. That whole team is likeable, for the most part. The long brown haired one whines a lot.

I am proud of Frado for at least not seeming to throw it. I doubted he would stick to his word.

And most of all, I am sick and tired about certain people whining about losing only 5 lbs or 8 lbs or whatever number in a "week". In a 2 months of diet and exercise I have lost a whopping 8 lbs. What on earth do they think is going to happen in the real world when they have to go back to jobs, kids, spouses, etc?

Did anyone else notice how much Rick is working out at home? He said he goes in the morning for 1.5-2 hours, goes to work, works out for another 1.5 hours in the afternoon, goes home, and goes back to the gym for another 1.5 hours! Isn't the rule of thumb to do what you can commit to for life? I know he's trying to win the at home prize or whatever it is, but goodness. Totally unrealistic imo.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #108  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

rick is working out that much for the $$$ and who can blame him?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I wonder how well Anna thought out giving immunity to Patrick. I don't think he asked for it, so it seemed odd she gave it to him and not one of the other girls.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #110  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
I wonder how well Anna thought out giving immunity to Patrick. I don't think he asked for it, so it seemed odd she gave it to him and not one of the other girls.
Yes, I thought it was a bit of a idea!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
Especially because he's the one person with the "prize" bravado. As soon as he was the odd one out this big "everyone wants him" thing came out, causing all the house drama. Had it been Elizabeth or Jessica no one probably would have thought much ofi it. Odd coincidence...perhaphs.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

There was an article in the local newspaper about the diet and exercise plan from the biggest loser. It stated that although the former contestants loss tremendous amounts of weight they held onto lean muscle tissue.

The part of the article that surprised me was:

The calorie connection

At the start of Season 8 of NBC's "The Biggest Loser," the contestants' resting metabolic rate the calories the body burns at complete rest was 2,679 calories a day. By the end of the season, their resting metabolic rate was 1,890 calories a day.

Although a large drop in calories is expected because the contestants are much smaller in size and require fewer calories to move around, this drop was 500 calories more than would have been predicted, says Darcy Johannsen, a researcher at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge.

"This is what we call the metabolic adaptation. It's the body's way of conserving energy," she says. "Their bodies fought to conserve energy in the face of the large energy deficit created through the combination of low calorie intake and huge calorie expenditure from the workouts."

This means the contestants are "at an increased risk for gaining the weight back if they do not continue to exercise and/or restrict calories," she says.

This large drop in calories they need to consume each day may explain in part why some former contestants have regained weight, she says.

The link to the whole article is:

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/apps/...D=201010180305

Goes to show you all the exercise and lo cals still create a slower metabolism even though you maintain muscle or increase muscle mass. The deficit they are creating is just too large.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #113  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Don't forget that the editors of this show--as with any reality show--try to make villains and heroes out of the players. So it's really unfair to judge a whole person based on the editing done. I used to follow another reality show and one of the contestants on it kept a blog and she would blog about how much simple editing did to create wild and untrue stories. (At one point they made it seem like she and another guy were in a huge fight, when in fact, they were great friends.)

The interviews also take several hours, and the producers even prompt the contestants to say certain things.

For all we know, when a contestant says something bad about another, the question the producers could have asked could be "So why would ____ be an ideal choice for your team to vote off?" or "How would your team benefit without ____?"

You can't judge a real person based off their presence in a reality show! (ESPECIALLY what they say in the interview portions!)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #114  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Vulpix View Post
Don't forget that the editors of this show--as with any reality show--try to make villains and heroes out of the players. So it's really unfair to judge a whole person based on the editing done. I used to follow another reality show and one of the contestants on it kept a blog and she would blog about how much simple editing did to create wild and untrue stories. (At one point they made it seem like she and another guy were in a huge fight, when in fact, they were great friends.)

The interviews also take several hours, and the producers even prompt the contestants to say certain things.

For all we know, when a contestant says something bad about another, the question the producers could have asked could be "So why would ____ be an ideal choice for your team to vote off?" or "How would your team benefit without ____?"

You can't judge a real person based off their presence in a reality show! (ESPECIALLY what they say in the interview portions!)
This is so true! Thanks for that reminder.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #115  
traveller chick

S/C/G: 80/79.5/65 (KG)

Height: 5'6''

I have to say I am loving the new rules of the game
Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #116  
Gonna be a 5

S/C/G: 192 / 187 / 123

Height: 5'3"

I read an article where Rick said what his at-home workout and meal plan was. Did anyone else see it?

He said he works out 1 1/2 hours in the am, then goes to work. After work, he works out another 1 1/2 hours, eats dinner and then works out another 1 1/2 hours. WOW.

He also said he doesn't vary his diet much and it looks like this:
B: eats a bowl of cereal,
S: fruit, bowl of fruit
L: sandwich or his chili (chicken breast and veggies)
S: more fruit
D: chile

How can his be possible? I know his motivation is that he wants to win th $100,000 for being the BL at home. But, wow.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #117  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Honestly, that made me almost want to throw up. Jillian should stick to training. She's not a freaking doctor and has no idea how it feels to have an asthma attack and not be able to breathe. My best friend growing up had exercise induced asthma and had to be very careful about how she got her exercise and always had an inhaler in arms reach in PE class, etc. She was in great shape, but she had to be careful. And Elizabeth looked and sounded just like she did when she had an asthma attack. So. Jillian needs to STFU about it.
I disagree on this. I think the reason Jillian said this to Elizabeth is because she noticed that she was using it to get away with doing less in her workouts. She was noticing that she was using it as an excuse and wanted to let her know. I think she was saying it to motivate her. It could be possible that she uses it as an excuse on a small level. Just my two cents.

Maryshady, that is a very interesting article. I just can't believe that some of them drop such huge amounts of weight on a weekly basis. It seems unhealthy in a way, doesn't it?

Oct2007: Thanks so much for that site. I actually was able to watch the last episode on there. You rock!
Ilene, go to the 'watch video' under the two big colorful buttons that say watch or download. It is the only way it worked for me.

Now that I'm up to date, let's just say that I was shocked that Rick went home. I didn't think he would at all. I was thinking that Ana would. She gave up immunity which could have easily lost her the game. I don't believe that Brendan didn't forfeit the game when he only lost 2 pounds. I don't trust him too much. The black team has a very strong team now.

I look forward to seeing the future episodes. I was happy that Ana was able to stay at the ranch. I thought it heart warming when four of the black team gave the blue team their letters from home. That was quite touching.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 145/143/115

Height: 5'2

You're welcome.
You don't have to sign into fastpasstv.com
Just click on channels , click television, click Biggest Loser and then a list of the episodes appear. Click On the episode that you want to see. A list of
torrents appears. Many of them say DIVX or
wisevid biggest Loser. Click on "watch this video". A new window will pop open. Just wait and a message will pop up " watch this video". Choose "yes let me watch it" an ad will appear and it will say "close to play". Click that and wait. Sometimes the videos buffer too much so pause it and wait 10 minutes or go back and choose another torrent.
If you choose a divx torrent click it and on the next page choose the free stream and click "hide the ad and play" and it should start up.

Last edited by Oct2007; 10-22-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Jojo-I feel it is very unhealthy too. And the article proves it. They do gain muscle but at the cost of lowering their metabolism by 500 cals more than the average dieter who lost the same amount of weight. Imagine how 500 extra cals a day could add to packing on the lbs over a year's time if you didn't keep up with such a restricted diet and 5 hours a day of exercise. I love the show and I won't stop watching it but I do think it sends some wrong messages.

On the subject of Jillian: I have a brother who was born with severe asthma. Although I can't imagine what he goes thru when he is having an attack and can't breathe, I do know that he does use it as an excuse to get out of doing things he doesn't want to do or feels he can't do. Those excuses have gotten him to at least 500 lbs. So I do understand what Jillian was trying to do because I would love for someone to do that to my brother.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I think it's entirely possible Elizabeth uses her asthma as an excuse, even if it's subconscious. I think a lot of people do that type of thing. My niece, who doesn't even HAVE a weight problem, has asthma and played soccer for years. THEN her friends started pushing her to quit the "stupid" soccer team and get into dance with them. Her parents didn't want her to so she pulled out the asthma card and claimed she was having trouble. She wasn't. But she got what she wanted.

Maybe the same is true in this case. Wonder if Elizabeth is still having problems?