The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-15-2005, 02:55 PM   #1  

Default Did anyone watch the premier of *The Biggest Loser?*

I didn't watch this last season, but I heard about it so I tuned in for the first episode of the new season on Monday night. How did these people lose SO much weight on their first weigh-in? Some people lost in excess of 20 lbs.! Had a month gone by?

I guess everyone is on a different diet? It didn't show what they were eating except when they porked out at the beginning. This show doesn't really gie you the nuts and bolts of weight loss, except the scenes where they are working out. Maybe it will show more as the season progresses. I'm not going to be able to watch it every week, though.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #2  

I was on the phone so i was not able to pay close attention. But last season, the 2 teams followed 2 eating regimens. One team ate more, but they worked out anywhere from 3 to 6 hrs per day! Teh other team focused more on eating less and didn;t exercise quite as much, I think it was 2-3 hrs a day. That's how they lose so much.

Last season, they had the eating and exercise plans on the website. I have not looked at it this time to see if they have them this time.

I will say that I am very glad that this time they are going by % of weight lost rather than strictly # of lbs. I will also say that the people this goaround don't seem as friendly w/ each other. Seemed like they were fighting right at the get-go! I hope that's not an indication of how the whole season will go. All that bickering and fighting just kills me! That's why I don't watch Big Brother and Survivor anymore. Oh, the drama!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #3  
Cynical RedHead

I haven't seen this show (just the commercials) but have been watching a show on Discovery Health called something like "Body Challenge" or "Body Slim Challenge"? I have seen only two episodes, but each episode tracks one person (or a couple) for about 6 months. The person gets a trainer and a nutritionist, and sets exercise goals along the way.

I like it because each episode is self-contained. You get to see one person's challenges, and there isn't any of the *reality show* gimmickry.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #4  

I watched Biggest Loser and really liked it, though I didn't hear what the eating plans were either. They did lose a ton of weight. But the bigger you are the more you lose at first.
I also saw Body Challenge last night and I liked that alot too. You get to see all the persons efforts and the end result. Last night it was a married lady with a DH and 3 kids. Not only did she change her very fatty diet, she changed the entire familes.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #5  

Cool

I watched it. This time the men are much bigger than the women. I think it took them 7 to 10 days to lose all those lbs. I have been on a medical fast and lost 12 lbs my first week with a completely sedentary lifestyle so those 20+ lbs losses are doable if you're exercising vigorously for 5 or 6 hours a day.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

The first episode didn't go into any detail as far as I could see other than the philosophies of the two trainers....they'll prolly add more deatil later (one would hope)

That was supposed to be in a week they lost all that weight...but think about it this way..if I was going to be on a show where the contest was to lose the most weight...i prolly mighta thought about not pigging out the first day - last meal or not...
also - they are going from eating whatever they want and not exercising to exercising as a full time job and being controlled in what they eat. Most of those people were fairly decent sized - it's easier to lose at the beginning...
Old 09-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

I saw the show. The weigh in was 10 days after they started, so they lost all that weight in 10 days. Next week their losses probably won't be near as big (if it is like last year). It is unbelieveable to me that someone can lose that kind of weight in a week (it has taken me over a year to lose 21 pounds) but I know that they change their diet drastically and they are working out 2 to 4 hours a day - that is major. But even with that - it is still hard for me to fathom a 28 lb weight loss in 10 days.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #8  

My bad it was 10 days? Even so....it's a lot. I think that if it's real it's fine - but for real world losers it's way better to lose it slow. it took me a year to take off 100 lbs...I think if I had tried to go faster I would not have learned the new habits that kept it off (mostly) for the next year and a half.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #9  

From what I understood they were counting calories. It was 10 days that they waited to weigh in. But.... I do feel that they did lose to much to fast.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #10  

Gary's photo...dang he's hot...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:22 PM   #11  

Lol... not bad! I didn't notice before lol.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #12  

Actually... I don't think so. I did, but according to the NBC website only 3 days a week for 30 minutes.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #13  
prepare for the BEST time

YIPPEE, they are running the preview again on Saturday at 830PM EST. I hope I remember to watch this time.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #14  
coffee lover

I watched all of last season and watched the first one but fell asleep before the vote off.
It's just on too late for me when I have to get up at 4am
so again like last season I fall asleep just after the weight in.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Dee - NBC aired the episode again at 8 pm on Saturday - and last year they were rerunning each episode on USA (I think it was USA) at 7 pm on the following Monday - don't know if they're planning on doing that again this year.

Tracy - the contestants are doing FAR more than 30 minutes of exercise each day - it probably took most of the women's team at *least* an hour just to scale that hill (which reminded me of when we climbed Dog Dome in Yosemite).

Seems that the contestants this season as a group are heavier than last year's as well, so it did not surprise me to see those big losses after 10 days of heavy exercise and strict eating.