Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Dictionary Day (Noah Webster Oct 16, 1758)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Much walking, CREDIT moi, in short sleeves knit shirt just like mid-July. For whatever reason we're experiencing Indian Summer, I'm just savoring it. Lunch outside on the patio; couldn't have dinner outside only because it was dark - the hours of daylight doesn't seem affected by the weather.

Snacks were getting close to being on plan. Minor CREDIT moi for that. I was tempted by the Halloween stuff in stores but kept walking. I'm already dreading the half-off sales starting November 1st.

onebyone – Super Kudos for "but right now I do not want to eat over it." I wish you well sorting out the realities of life within the dynamics of a relationship.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "Either I want something so much that I'll get it for myself" - Yep, I'm that way with books. If I make a list of books that the kids could give me for Christmas, the next thing I do is order them on Amazon.

silverbirch – Perhaps you could consider limiting your Beck reading to just the opening page of each of the 42 days in the Pink Book. The small volume of words might be easier to swallow. The strategies of CBT are so simple it doesn't take much to be reminded of them. On my first read, I was ready to ditch the whole book as 'simplistic' - took me a while to accept that simple in not 'simplistic' and to overcome my objection to her use of the words 'diet' and 'should.'

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for finding a doctor that you connect with. Kudos for tweaking your diet to find what fits.

maryann - Hosanna for your angel. Congrats to your Giants last night. And Kudos for "Kitchen is closed."

curlypudge - LOL at chanting "beck, beck, beck" like a crazed chicken - wish that'd work. Kudos for recognizing that being off the path calls up the Sabotaging Thought that more of off is just right.

Mountain Mamma - Kudos for eating on plan even if it was because there was nothing unhealthy in the house. We take our credits when they happen. [You can join silverbirch in picking out the parts of Beck that are insufficiently annoying as to be useful.]

DashMB77 - I recognize this, "So accountability is probably the hardest part of sticking to a plan." Daily posting helps me; I haven't found a real life way to be held accountable for food and exercise. Many of us use all the active posters in this forum as our Beck Diet Coach/Buddy and invite you to participate as Coach and Coached as well. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 24 Deal with Discouragement
Remind yourself that dieting is not difficult
. . . .most of the hours of the week.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 190.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #122  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Bill. That's a good idea. I'll start tonight.

And I'll join you all here again, if you've no objections.

onebyone, congrats that you're having your teeth sorted out. Hurty teeth are unbearable. And your mother's move to the ground floor does sound like a good thing.

maryann, 'the kitchen is closed' is definitely a good thing.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #123  
Green Tomatoes

There's sunshine out there this morning! First time in days. It had been getting very cozy around here!

Task 3, Make Time for Dieting, made me grumpy. One of the reasons that I've lost ground in the last year or so is that I stopped making dieting a top priority. I'm trying to make writing a top priority. I'm failing at both. Sigh. And, when I do succeed at making writing a top priority, the dieting gets worse. But I refuse to believe that it's impossible to both write and diet at the same time. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Fortunately, I have the framework for dieting still in my life, so all I need to do is commit to using it.

Task 4, Get a Diet Buddy, cheered me up again. Thanks to all my diet buddies here!

silverbirch: I intend to document my approach to the green book, you're welcome to follow along with my progress and pick up on the bits that seem to work for you. The tone in the green book is less annoying to me than the pink one, that's one of the reasons I'm starting there.
I loved our visit to England and can't wait to go back! I'm having such a good time going through my photographs.

Welcome, DashMB77!

onebyone: glad you're sharing here. I like the personal stuff. It makes me more comfortable sharing in the moments when that's what I need to do for myself.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #124  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, plans to post at night went kaput when my tablet crashed after only two sentences. Day went okay and test driving went well. Dinner with DH's younger daughter went well. DH said well THAT went better than expected. Ordered one of the lightest options I could find and then ate half, so felt that was a success. So, after that? Stopped at McD on the trip home for a vanilla cone. At least it's under 200 calories but I don't want to do that often since we certainly didn't need it. DH LOVES them ... I like them now and then. For me, it was something to do - to eat it. Didn't get on scale this morning, though. Suspect I'll be waiting until Saturday to see the report from this week. Tonight is the dinner theatre and I'm really excited for this show.And it's funny that fitting into prettier dresses of mine makes it that much more enjoyable ... no trying one on after the other, trying to see which one doesn't sit on a "butt shelf" in the back. Thankfully that's gone.

Brought my lunch today, so no eating out on a whim.

OneByOne - I'm stressed that your DH ignores the tax stuff. That would drive me bonkers. Credit to you for handling what you can - can you take complete control of that project thereby removing any chance you have to face this again?

Bill - An early thank you for the reminder that Nov. 1 will bring candy challenges. I have a hard time bypassing the 50% off CRAP. A few weeks ago, I'd told DH "no more crappy chocolate" ... we'll spend money infrequently on GREAT chocolates or none. He was all in. (This came after a friend gave me a box of fannie farmer delectable hand-selected chocolates that were savored over a month). So I think I'll have to hold myself to that.

Welcome, Dash! We look forward to hearing your challenges and, in turn, your ideas for ours!

GosfordGirl - You're spot on with sometimes checking in later on here doesn't work at times. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has good intentions but then misses it.

Silverbirch - I am looking forward to getting to "know" you better! I see you here now and then and am intrigued by many of your posts with British "stuff"

MountainMamma - I AM going to still give you credit because being on track when you're alone is tough sometimes! It's easy to stop and get a treat that "only" you enjoy, etc. So take credit where it's due. It might not be your biggest challenge but you're acing it!

Maryann - Credits for the angel! What will be your big celebration when you have 10?

CurlyPudge - How was yesterday? I kept starting over with a new Day one, then realized that this is life and while i like a Day One to kick off a personal challenge (which I can never seem to stay on), while on program, it was getting me down to see how many times I restarted. One of my journals was named, Day One, Take 100. I think the way we succeed is by acknowledging that these days/weeks happen but we're still on plan when we return to it. Now I'm thinking, "hmm... 70 days until Christmas... what can I achieve then?" and trying to keep in mind that Thanksgiving is TRULY the only holiday until then. I can't count these days when I or others supply treats to the office as a reason to eat much more. This is being said while I'm planning to make mini iced vanilla bean scones this weekend.

GardenerJoy - Any pretty indoor plants that you'd like that are 5-pound goal worthy? Then it's a visual reminder of your achievement, too? I am like you and tend to pick up what I'd like or save up for it and get it when I want it, unrelated to the scale.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #125  
in development

Thanks everyone. I've bought the green book, secondhand, online. It'll be here in a few days. I think it will help me enormously to be on the same page as someone else and GardenerJoy is a great someone else to be on the same page as.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #126  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Today was a motley assortment of food - breakfast buffet at a networking meeting, chocolate with afternoon coffee("it is a small bar so let us eat it all") stressed husband wanting a snack at the diner. I give myself credit for tracking my calories, passing on eggs benedict at the buffet, having a modest lunch, and walking 40 minutes round trip to the diner.

Curlypudge - loved the crazed chicken going "Beck, Beck, Beck" - I have been there.

To silverbirch and anyone else slogging through Beck - I confess I gave my copy of the pink book to Purple Heart(thrift store charity). As BBE said, picking out the insufficiently annoying-as-to-be-useful bits is the way to go). Recognizing my patterns of thinking really helped with my eating, but the Beck group has helped even more than the book itself.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #127  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default green book a gogo

Coaches

Credit for not eating for months over DH and taxes. He will sign tonight. I will drop off tomorrow. We will deal with monies owed next and it will be done. We are moving forward and yes nationalparker, here on in it'll be the regular yearly thing. This was a one time event.

Credits.many of them.

Credit went to f2f OA meeting tonight. Many people have a tough time with the holidays. We are not alone. Credit to all of us here coaching each other.

Food was cleaner today. Weighed in (I now do that every 3days or so) and saw my first true drop in weeks to 275.8. Good. Relieved.

Gardenerjoy and silverbirch I am with you on doing the green book. I totally prefer the pink one. I did a start on the green one in the spring and got really overwhelmed by the structure of all the tasks hurled at you. Had I tried the green one first I would not be a Beck Believer. Some have opposite reaction.to each their own. New Becksters use whichever one works or use both, no rules here for that!

Must sleep. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday night

Hi Coaches

Have been busy today trying to clear the decks for the weekend - I am determined not to work and I will do other things beside sit at the desk. One of the things I need to do is work out what to eat! For the life of me I can't think of what to have for breakfast if I can't have dairy, eggs, nightshades, or fruit. I will eat the eggs and dairy that are here but I need to organise other food and shopping lists for next week. And I want to garden and enjoy the early cool part of Spring

I had to use lots of resistance today because I was hungry. I did well with that but the proteins I had chosen had more calories than I thought. I sat to eat and talked myself out of lapses so credit. I wanted to go to the 'mall' and I decided to walk there and get myself some exercise so credit moi!

Today:
- 189.2 pounds [+2.2 grrr] - same as yesterday
- Logged my food
- Under 40g CHO net - yes 21
- Under 1300 - no - over today not sure how that happened
- Walked dogs and to shops
Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Hi All -

I'm on the road so will be out of pocket for a few days. Have a good weekend!!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #130  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another short-sleeved shirt day. Even though I had to walk, CREDIT moi, in the rain, it was a warm walk. Now the negative thinking supposes that a punishing snowstorm must be just around the corner, LOL.

Snacks were slightly better; minor CREDIT moi. Fell into extras at an evening event where homemade cookies were stacked. I do better at events where I'm participating rather than just an audience member.

onebyone – Super Kudos for not eating about your taxes. It's bad enough that we have to give up the money; we shouldn't have to give up our sanity also.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, 'cozy' can make one 'grumpy' all be itself even without reading Task 3. Kudos for having Task 4 already solved.

silverbirch – Of course you're welcome. Always. And especially when you winstonchurchill thusly: "I think it will help me enormously to be on the same page as someone else and GardenerJoy is a great someone else to be on the same page as."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for using resistance when hunger is calling. (I googled nightshades and found that there are 2500 species so I can't guess what you're having for breakfast.)

nationalparker – A whole month to savor a box of good chocolates is living right - Kudos. That McDonalds cold white stuff in the cone is addictive to me. I've had it in airports where my only problem was that I had to wait for a plane.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for "passing on eggs benedict" - that would be a hard one for me.

Mountain Mamma - Waving back toward the road. Hope your trip is going well.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 24 Deal with Discouragement

Figure out how many minutes or hours you actually struggled in the past week versus how many hours you actually felt neutral or positive. Think about how much time you weren't even thinking about food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 190.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- yesterday was too busy! today i am off for another trip to see family- this time by myself, which is nice!! so will get back to posting personals next week. yesterday was a little better...am preparing some healthier snacks to eat as i drive, as it helps keep me going on a 6 hour drive. I will plan to give myself one treat in the afternoon when i start to lag.
national parker just wanted to say i like your thinking that Christmas is 70 days away, etc, i may adopt that thought! i know what you mean about starting over frequently- but at least we do keep starting over!!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

After complaining about the "Make Time for Dieting" task, I didn't even manage to make time to read another page in the green book yesterday. Apparently, I need to work on that more!

One thought that came to me was that I could worry less if I weren't in such a hurry. If I believe it should have all been done yesterday, there will never be enough time. If I believe that it's fine if it all gets done in the next ten years or so, there's plenty of time.

silverbirch: I'm so glad that you plan to work through the green book with me. That's going to be very motivating!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have been interested in reading the Gardenerjoy and Silverbirch discussion of tone of the Beck books. It reminded me of my experience of first reading the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonomyous. I was 23 years old and desperate for change. I had just been released from the psych ward for suicide attempts. I had been handed the book at the meeting I had "accidentally" attended. I was working at the UC Davis Library at the time. I started to read the book during my shift breaks down in the stacks. I was immediately offended by the constant use of the masculine pronouns and anecdotes. Women were stereotyped either as the long and suffering wives or worse a closet alcoholic ( a leper in society back then). The book was written in 1935. Why didn't I put the book down? Why did I grab on to it as one would a life preserver? I guess the simple answer is that I had been beaten into a state of willingness, my pride humbled to the point of becoming openminded. I allowed myself to see the similarities and let go of the differences. I took what I needed and I left the rest.

I hold on to that vivid experience. My dogmatic personality is an asset when I am fighting the injustices small or large in this world. It is a defect when my black and white thinking stops me from accepting the help I need.

If I had another sixteen pages of blog space I could launch into my current journey towards open-mindedness of trying to reestablish ties to the Catholic Church. I think I will save that for another day.

Anyway, "Yeah" for our side to continuing our journey towards peace and happiness no matter where that journey takes us.

As for me, I have officially logged my food into MFP for 86 days. It is not a perfect record of my food but it is pretty darn close. Doesn't Beck say even nutritionists underestimate their calorie intake by at least 10%? I would think I could say that is true for me, as well. Credit for being accountable for that for that many days straight. That is a miracle considering where I have come from.

Nationalparker: Well, my big celebration might come earlier than 10 weeks. I might be going to a world series game!!!!

Last edited by maryann; 10-17-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #134  

S/C/G: SW162/CW159.8/GW125

Height: 5'3"

Default Friday hello!

Hi Coaches,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

BillBlueEyes - To answer your questions, I saw The Beck Diet as a group in one of the self-improvement sub-reddits (on Reddit). I googled the diet and found the official program site. I looked up the book on Amazon and read the reviews. I then bought the book and, when I got to day six, started looking for an online support group. I googled "Beck Diet coach" and reviewed a bunch of the sites that came up. There were a few forums and groups that came up, but the 3 Fat Chicks group had the most current activity and seemed the most supportive. So, that's how I found you wonderful folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
DashMB77

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you discover this Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 10-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #135  
in development

Today has been another day filled with difficult feelings, mostly around three people in their eighties who have been part of my life for all of my life. I woke with toothache as a result of clenching my teeth overnight. I looked after the DB who has a cold. I sorted out a government form which had been returned to me. I went shopping and bought some very late raspberries and some watercress and a chicken and some cottage cheese. Also some crumpets and pitta bread (for the others, in theory). And I tried to work. I also spent a few hours lying down reading a novel. I collected the SO from the railway station.

This is not everything I've done. It's been a full day. Like you, GardenerJoy, I've had no time to read any Beck. But I bought fruit and veg and good protein automatically as I've done all my life (credit!) and we ate a good meal tonight (beef casserole nicoise, mashed white and sweet potato, watercress - credit!) and I've lit the fire (credit!).

GardenerJoy, I agree that it must be possible to make both writing and dieting top priority. I wonder what the hiccup is. Could it be something to do with being in a certain frame of mind with your material (your subject, your style, and so on) and not having any space for anything else? I certainly get like that when I'm involved in a research and writing project of any size. I have no capacity to make any decisions of note regarding anything else or to read about anything else much. .... Separately, I'm keen for the green book to arrive.

nationalparker, you know, don't you, that I don't notice my 'British stuff' at all? Just ask me if I'm talking about something you don't understand and please may I do the same with you? I joined 3FC partly to learn about North America and I've certainly done that but there are many things which baffle me.

Nuxmaga, reading how you gave the pink book away made me giggle and also gave me permission, together with Bill's idea of just reading the first bit of each chapter, and maryann's comment ("I took what I needed and left the rest") to cross out the parts which annoy me. This is remarkable as I tend to hold to the view that you should not write in books, even in pencil. So thank you very much, all three of you!

onebyone, you are right that some things work for some people and some things work for other people. But sleep works for all of us. I'm strongly in favour of sleep and I'm very clear that it plays a large role in weight loss. I think that I've been getting slightly less sleep since the SO started setting his alarm for 5.30am and that's no good for me.

Cheryl, what about porridge for breakfast? Or muesli without the fruit? You could have it with water perhaps.

MountainMamma, see you when you get back!

Bill, you are so kind to put me in the same sentence as Sir Winster (as my sister's friend used to call him when they were 3). A man with a wonderful way with words and who I am happy to emulate but without the cigar and the stoutness. Especially the stoutness, I tell you. I tell you that for free. Anyway, your comment made me think that perhaps I quarrel with Beck because I spend a great deal of time thinking about how to write in the most effective way for my audience. And in how to avoid patronising them. It's hard to get right.

curlypudge, solo trips are so good. Hope you have a good time.

maryann - "our journey towards peace and happiness" - yes, I'm in favour of that, most definitely. Please count me in.

Dash, just to say hello and looking forward to getting to know you better.

I'll be tottering into bed very soon, I hope. I'll pick up the pink book and a pencil and see what happens. See you all tomorrow.

Last edited by silverbirch; 10-17-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Closed Thread