Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi.. checking in. Yesterday I stay within my basic food plan. However, my daily plan got scratched early in the day. I was having a Not Fair moment... & I didn't say... Oh well. Was tired of eating low sodium. But... I still was within my range of that. Credit.

I did my meditations yesterday! Credit.

I need to tidy up. I am a candidate for 'get rid of your clutter' thread!

Hope you all have had a great day.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Dear friends and coaches,
I am having trouble keepin a post to stick. Something keeps making things disappear. grrr This is going to be a sad lament today.
I am having a difficult time right now. I have struggled with depression most of my adult life. I finally accepted that my brain won't stay stable without medications so I've been on the same medication for about 10 years. I did well but the side effect of sweating was just awful. My doctor changed my med for me in August. Well, I quit sweating but I wonder if I'm on the right drug now as I'm slipping again. Of course it probably didn't help that I only took the medication 1 time a day instead of the 2 that it was prescribed . Maybe I should listen to the dr huh? I think that my dad's death pushed me over the edge. So, here I am feeling sorry for myself. So...I am taking my medication 2x/day now.
Yesterday, I was in a really bad spot at work and a woman that works in my building and I got to talking. She takes folic acid in a prescription form that is used as an adjunct to antidepressants. She has been able to decrease her antidepressants by 3/4 dose. She has such success with it she tells everyone. Of course I was really motivated to try it so called my Dr. After 4 calls my dr. agreed to prescribe it. She had never heard of it so tried to tell me to use over the counter formulations. I finally got what I needed across to her. So frustrating to have to go through her assistant. Who knows what was being communicated. Well, the prescription is called in!!
Yesterday, I started having horrible back pain at work. I have a new appreciation for people with back pain. I was able to schedule a same afternoon massage and whew, what a relief! I'll confess I've never had a massage because it hurts when people try to rub my shoulders thinking it's going to help. the guy who did it listened when I told him it hurt and I came out of there feeling like a new person. I think it's caused by stress. I felt so good after the massage that I actually wanted to eat something. I stopped and got fast food. I was up 2 pounds today but I don't even care. I didn't eat 7,000 calories, just a lot of extra salt.
OK, pity party is over, I'm back on JC today, I will get my new prescription tomorrow, my family loves me, I have a job, I've lost 22 pounds and spring is coming!
NationalParker Where in Montana did you whitewater raft? I'm originally from Montana. There are some really beautiful places there. My in-laws will be moving back there so we'll probably be spending more time there again.
I'll be back tomorrow. Everyone have a good night. I hope I can sleep tonight.
JuliaPityPartyForOne-YourTableIsReady
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #78  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Hi all,

Today was OP foodwise except for a fruit substitution. (The raspberries were too expensive at the store so I bought watermelon and blackberries.) (There were two Sumos left, but they were too sad looking to buy.)

Exercise was OP.

Today was an easy day, plan-wise. I think the more structured workday really helps me keep to a schedule (well, duh). Weekends are more fun--but harder to plan and keep to.

Julia150: If I can, I'll just send a hug, and remind you that for many people with affective mood disorders, the goal is stability--even when that means medication.

Beverlyjoy: What type of meditation do you do? I would think that'd help you get back to 'oh well'.

nationalparker: I find it easy to not make new and re-read existing response cards--and I think they really help. The one I've printed out and put on my computer monitor really sticks with me. I've got to do that with more of them. Good luck with your journaling.

Nola145: How did the overfill your plate day go? Chicken enchiladas are very tempting! I take it DH doesn't have weight issues? I agree with you about the plan being like a safety net. Last night, I didn't want to make dinner--but it was on the plan and all I had to do was follow it. Safety net--and a kick in the behind, too!

Lexiss: Credit for starting out your day with a measuring spoon! I've taken to packing one with my lunch salads so I can measure my dressing at work! It does sort of become habit, doesn't it?

gardenerjoy: Credit for doing the necessary cooking.

onebyone: How is Looloo? And how was your weigh-in? Thinking good thoughts at you for both.

BillBE: Can I give you credit for making me laugh? "OK moi."

Time for me to enter my plan for tomorrow into MFP and call it a night.

Take care, everyone.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #79  
Italian Sunny Girl!

S/C/G: 63/52.5/52

Height: 1,63 mt

Hi everybody! Last night when I finally managed to read you, I wrote a post and then...I don't know what I did with my pc...I lost it all!! I'm a disaster!
I just wanted to say that even if I'm not so "present" here, I love this forum that is a sort of "shelter" for all of us Becksters... it's nice seeing how this method works and how is the process going on with us at different stages...someone is where I was one year ago, someone is where I'd like to be in some months...well this is witnessing the success of the method for us.
I was scared about leaving my diary, but I didn't left counting calories at all, I'm just doing it menthally now..so it was not a "neat detachment" (is it the correct word?) from monitoring my eating...I'll do it gradually!
Still reading chapter about cravings (day 13 I think..not sure), I'm gonna stay on that till I'm sure I can beat them!!
Bill...it seems you are more informed about Church than me....
Have a good weekend!!!!
Ciao

Last edited by Bootedkitty; 03-08-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, as the snow was falling - really beautiful. Initially I walked wearing my glasses. Dumb move. They weren't very useful when the snow stuck to them. I've only worn glasses for about two years and still resent them as the symbol that bodies don't perform as well each year as they did the year before.

Food was only OK, again. Despite the snow we ended up at a cocktail hour preview for next year's opera season. Talk about inspiring. We were presented with two arias from Verdi's Rigoletto in an intimate setting with views of the Boston Common out the window as the snow was falling. Life doesn't get better. Unfortunately it came with some fine cheeses and breads. Ouch. But the singing was rare and unusual so I'll count that, LOL.

onebyone – Yep, trust your plan - the scale will get the message. Positive thoughts to Looloo.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for two days' worth of cooking at once. Hope you are following the daily comic strip, Stone Soup with the young lady packing for Paris.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Fresh ground nutmeg is just the best to pick up the mood.

Beverlyjoy – That old "Not Fair" Sabotaging Thought seems to turn up even when we think we've long outgrown it. Did you read yesterday of one-more-study showing that salt isn't just implicated in heart disease, but autoimmune diseases as well. You're doing the right thing.

nationalparker – Shuddering at the thought of a "a chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treat bowl" within my reach, LOL. Kudos for looking at your performance using Beck strategies and heading back to your path.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for an easy day on plan. I recognize that ease that comes with a structured day, even as I long for an exciting weekend.

Julia (Julia150) – Lovely conclusion of your reality, "my family loves me, I have a job, I've lost 22 pounds and spring is coming!" Perhaps it's useful to feel sorry for ourselves every now and then to flush it out of our system.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – I like the notion that we're a sort of "shelter" for each other. There's no place in real life that I can tell someone with a straight face that I just didn't eat a Girl Scout cookie. They'd think me nuts.

Nola (Nola145) – LOL at daily sharing with your dog - an in-house diet coach.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
How to Use the Beck Diet Solution

A Program for Everybody
The beauty of the Beck Diet Solution is that it can help anyone. It doesn't matter if you want to lose 5 pounds or 100 pounds or if you just want to maintain your weight. It doesn't matter if you're male or female, old or young. It doesn't matter whether this is your first or tenth diet, or whether you've been dieting on and off forever. If you want to keep off excess weight permanently, you need to have a good set of dieting skills. All I ask is that you choose a healthy, nutritious diet (make sure to get approval from your health-care provider) and that you don't start dieting until you're psychologically ready, which might not be until two weeks from today.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pgs 44-45.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #81  

Hi... just a quick stop here for now. Want to share some information that came through my facebook page via The Beck Solution:

Friday Weekend Warm-up: Being accountable for your actions is a critical part of successful weight loss because it enables you to recognize mistakes, which then allows you to learn from them for the future. Are you going to committ to stay track this weekend?

I'll be back later.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-08-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #82  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was OP, with the exception of the extra piece of rosemarysourdough bread I just HAD to have. It was my choice. I've weighed this morning and am off to Denver for a bike ride before the snow hits here again.
I pulled my BP monitor out again several days ago. I used to run 145/95 with medication. My readings over the past few days are always around 118/80. What a blessing and credit moi for persistence with health. (I notice it's dropped again since we really went vegetarian 9 months ago).

Hopefully BBL.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #83  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

On plan yesterday for food and exercise even while all other plans went haywire. That's an accomplishment for me -- I often let the food and exercise slip when everything else does. It looks like we're going out of town next week and I have less than a week to plan it. Eek. Fortunately, it's a place we've been before. I may even be able to find an old packing list from the last time we went in OneNote.

Exercise: +55 325/1400 minutes for March

julia150: sending hugs. This is a totally off the wall recommendation but I'm reading a book called Your Playlist can Change Your Life that I seem to want to tell everyone to read. I'm not a morning person at all, but my Good Morning playlist has me getting out of bed when the alarm goes off. While it plays, I make my daily posts here as well as doing a few other things to get my day going well. It feels like a minor miracle to me.

BillBlueEyes: as a long-time glasses wearer, I recommend a cap when it snows. DH wears the newsboy cap he got in Ireland -- it has just enough brim to keep rain drops and snowflakes of this glasses. Thanks for the link to the comic -- that looks like a fun one to follow!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Busy as always. But I do not want to let a triumph go uncredited. No chocolate foraging for a whole week at school. (One small square of OFFERED-not stolen- English chocolate only.) I really kept in my mind all week the idea that what I put in my mouth is one of the few things I can control so when I was overwhelmed with things (a usual occurrence in middle school) I felt better NOT eating than eating. I was part of a solution in a small way.
Weight is at ticker. No step class today but heading up the hill to ski this weekend.

BBE: Your talk of the Boston Commons reminded me: What hotel would you recommend for DS and me? We will drive to Boston after graduation in Vermont. Price is less of a concern than perfect locality on the Freedom Trail, touristing, safe part of town.
Lexxiss: terrific news about BP. My crowd is turning 50 and it is shocking the med problems coming up.
Beverleyjoy: Belated bday congrats.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 03-08-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #85  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post got the word

Coaches

The vet called ith Looloo's test results. She's in kidney failure. With treatment she can have another 1-2 years. Treatment=giving fluids subcutaneously at home or we can bring her in 3x a week. They want to give her a step up and hospitalize her for 2or 3 nights for IV Fluids. We opeted to get the subQ fluids done today (aleady done and back) and then see where we stand come Monday. We have a tentative appt for eithe the subQ or the IV overnights. We gave her an appetite stimulant last night and we told it would tkae up to 3 days to work and no, she was hungry hours later. She came up and slept with us, sitting on me, purring away. Her meows and purrs are high-pitched right now so that purring kept me awake. I am exhausted today. I could not bear to mvoe her away or off of me inspaite of the non-sleeping. Just grateful she was feeling better. And again, after returning home frm the vet, once the carrier door was open she wanted food NOW. Apparently stressful situations trigger in her a desire to eat. Perhaps this is more instinctual than we realize in ourselves as well.

DH was a wreck after heaing the prognosis for Looloo even though we had suspected this. We opted to get a bite to eat before he went in to work and then he discovered he was 20min late for a meeting with THE boss there and someone else. They stated the meeting without him. He sounded positively chastised on the phone. Yikes. I said "are you fired?" "No." "Ok then." Poor guy. He's quite the sensitive character. I know this as I have seen him misty-eyed during the national anthem for instance, which is not a common thing up here in Canada.

As for me I didn't complete my tracking for yesterday so I will go do that and include what I have eaten today as well. Last night at the member's only preview evening for the art gallery (it was GREAT!) there was an s-shaped table lined with many small dishes of food offerings. I thought "rare and unusual...rare and unusual" and chose one handmade mozzarella ball - small, one stuffed olive and one smores-ish cookie, plus a cup of fruit punch. All good as we walked the exhibit for 2 hours and still got kicked out. We had to rush the last room which should not have been rushed.

I am finding the urge to eat strong in me today. It's the stress, the worry, the wondering, the everything. And the being tired. I need to be vigilant and remember I want to be close to that 250 mark as I head off to my week long residency at this time next week.

Ok better go track now. Thanks for the good thoughts re:Looloo. Bye for now.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #86  

Greetings,

Ok, the pity party is ending. I've been here before (depressed) and life always gets better. This is my mantra for today.
BethfromDayton Thank you for the hug. Yes, my reality is that I will always need medication to maintain a stable mood. This is my own fault for not taking my meds properly. I may have to go back to the medication that was effective before but I'll give this drug (taken properly) and the other new adjunctive treatment till the end of the month when I see my MD.
GardnerJoy Thank you for the hug as well. I am making a trip to the book store today so I'll check the book out. I read a bit about it online, it sounds interesting. I have to return a Christmas gift. I loved the show "Six Feet Under" a few years ago. My DD and DH got me season one on DVD. I don't think they were really thinking, dad died just before Christmas and I want to watch a show centered around death? I don't think so.
BillThanks for the sentiment about feeling sorry for ourselves. I hope it does flush out.
LexxissIt's amazing how much losing weight does for blood pressure. When I've lost weight in the past, I've been able to completely go off BP meds. Your numbers are phenomenal, your heart thanks you I'm sure.

I seem to have really fallen off the Beck method. I hope it's OK for me to stick around while I work back toward using the principles.

Julia
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #87  

OneByOneWe crossed posted, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. I love my cats and my heart hurts for you.
Julia
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello All,

I came to the board yesterday to post and it never did happen, was also looking for my Wed post when I realized that went sideways too. Some teenage angst drama for my 14 yr old DS and it was a flashback to his father and I of 5 years ago with the older son. Not sure I'm up for this again but 5 years ago I ate my way through and that's not the case this time. This morning I kept repeating 4 more years, 4 more years, like a slogan for a politician!

Weighed this morning and am below 170 again but will wait until Sun to track and try not to let the number make me believe I can eat whatever, whenever. Going to my parents tomorrow and my sis and I are taking them lunch, which I am shopping for later, so I'll have all the control over the menu and choices. It's great that all 4 of us are really happy to eat well so that will make it easier.

A few quick personals then back to my desk.....

onebyone Sorry to hear about your kitty and her health problems. to all as I know how hard things would be if it was one of my puppies.

Julia150 I think we would all agree that you are not "pushed" out of the group while trying to get back to the BDS principles. I personally would not have been welcome here many times if that was the case. That's when you need to be here more. Also I have to say I love the names you give youself at the end of your posts.

maryann Credit for not "sneaking" any chocolate all week. There must be a large supply of it in your school. That could be quite scary.

gardenerjoy I don't think I've ever created a packing list that I would have saved anywhere. It's always been more of "where are we going on this trip and what would we need". Hope you find your list!

BBE I can relate to your post about wet glasses. I walked the dogs early on Sun morning in the midst of blowing snow (from every direction we turned) and wished for ski goggles to keep things clear. Now I seem to have more puppy kisses on them than anything. You sure seem to live a cultured life with all the entertainment you enjoy. Rare and unusual singing is a treat.

nationalparker Chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats sound way too inviting for me! I love to bake and prefer to send it to work with DH as well, his colleagues appreciate it. Better on their "waists" than mine.

Hi to Nola, Beth, Booted Kitty,Lexxiss and Big Chief David. Hope to get back over the weekend to check in, really hope it's with a lower number too.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #89  

Hi coaches... yesterday (Thursday) was a 'hard' day... but, I made it through. I did have about 200 hundred extra calories.. but, was able to stop. So grateful.

Some other credits: journal, planned/measured/logged food, exercises, watched sodium, no seconds, always left a bite, took a couple deep breathes before eat meal/snack, tried to eat some slower.

I am worried about my neice, who has Crohn's disease and is in the hospital. She's had Crohn's since she was 8 years old..She is now 20. It just doesn't seem fair for her to have this health challenge. We will go see her over the weekend. Please send some healing thoughts her way. Thanks.

Saturday we are gathering with family for a March birthday celebration. I have been trying to plan and do the things that will be helpful. I can have one small taste of the appetizer (if it looks good) a small piece of the mussouka, salad, bite of potatoes and only a bite of cake. NO seconds. It's a pot luck. Also, I am excited to meet my newest cousin who is 15 months.

billbe - thanks for the extra information on sodium and autoimmune diseases. It's a good reminder and helpful. Thanks. Ouch on the extra's before the opera. Sounds like a fun evening, for sure.

bethfromdayton - kudo's for staying within your plan. My meditations are some guided imagery cd's or some short ones that are on youtube. They are helpful when I am willing to use them. I took a few classes a few years ago teaching the techniques of relaxation & guided imagery. It's actually very helpful.

Maryann
- thanks for the birthday wishes.

Remember, folks, to treat yourself as kindly as you would treat a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 260.6/250.4/145.0

Height: 5' 5"

Hey Coaches! Happy Friday! It's day 18 over here on the BDS program. Last night I triumphed over the extra enchilada on my plate. Food OP for the day. Today is a 720 calorie day on the two-day-a week-fasting plan I'm doing. Again, I felt a little panicky this morning at the idea of eating so little, but my written-out plan has seen me through in good stead. I am also using EFT when I feel really "cravy" or panicky. It does seem to take the edge off immediately. Doing just 720 calories fits right in with Day 18 stuff of practicing being hungry. Meals are smaller and leaner; I don't get as full and the effect doesn't last as long.
Nationalparker: Good luck getting back on track. I bet you can do it!
Julia: It sounds like you are a good candidate for a fresh start and I hope you're feeling better and more optimistic now.
Kitty: I mentioned above that I've been using Emotional Freedom Technique for cravings and it is really working. You can Google it if you're interested. There are lots of free tutorials online.
Bill: Snowy walks and opera sounds like a perfect way to spend an evening. Like Joy recommended, my hubby also wears a newsboy cap. He loves it and I like the way he looks in it.
Debbie: Those are awesome BP results. Congratulations!
One-by-one: My heart goes out to you. I'm glad little Looloo got her appetite back.
Tazzy: I had to snicker quietly about "only 4 more years". Did I tell you I have a 20-year-old still at home, and my 28-year-old has been here the last year as well? Who knew we were signing up for a life-time parenting commitment? LOL
Have an amazing evening, everyone.
- Nola
Closed Thread